Author Topic: Gift Wrapping: What's your style and is there an etiquette for this?  (Read 12002 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
I just finished wrapping gifts and I have to say I've definitely scaled back on what I used to do.  The smaller items are wrapped in Christmas tissue and the larger ones in super-strength Reynolds Wrap.  Those have metallic curling ribbon on them, but I will never do this again except for really large items.

I used to do the curling ribbon thing on every gift, but it's just too much when you have 3 cats demanding attention.

A distant former colleague once talked about wrapping gifts in newsprint and putting bows on them.  That might be traditional, but I can't see that.

Someone on another forum doesn't wrap gifts at all; thinks it's wasteful and that it's even rude to make someone open wrapping.  I just shook my head and "kept my mouth shut."

What say you, E-Hellions?

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
Re: Gift Wrapping: What's your style and is there an etiquette for this?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 10:32:21 AM »
Merry Christmas, Venus!

I used to really "Martha Stewart" the stuff. Coordinating themed wrap for all my gifts, loads of tissue paper, matching tags, work-of-art bows, etc. No gift bags for me! Over the years, it just got tedious - and expensive - to do all that.

Nowadays I wrap most things in tissue paper and use ribbon to tie it/decorate. I keep one roll of Christmas paper on hand for large items. The only things in boxes are things that are originally packaged in them. Everything else is rolled or wrapped as is - tissue paper is marvelously flexible. I do use gift bags, but I must confess: I've never bought any - they're all recycled from gifts I was given.* I use gift tags for parties or large multi person exchanges, but if I am presenting in person, I don't. I've also used a gold or silver marker to write the to/from info directly on the gift.

Holiday themes and color schemes are out (except for that one roll of paper and some of the recycled gift bags). I try to make everything look bright and festive, but I might use fuchsia and turquoise with white satin ribbon to do that. Actually, I make it a point not to use red & green if I can help it. ;)

*I work on the assumption that gift bags are meant to be recycled. The same for bows. I will even admit to (Grandma would be proud) rescuing large pieces of gift wrap. I am, of course, careful to remove any and all traces of previous use from anything I recycle, but I cannot fathom the idea of trashing (undamaged) stuff like that after only one use.

As for etiquette. I think it comes down to knowing your recipient. There are probably people out there who think using tissue as an outer wrap is cheap, others who think using tearable paper is wasteful. I think wrapping a gift makes it more exciting; someone else might feel it's too much pressure on the recipient to feign an emotion when they don't know what they're getting. Still another might believe a gift isn't truly a gift unless the giver has gone to some trouble to conceal and present it.

Apologies for the novel length, and I hope whatever the style, your gifts are received graciously! :)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 11:05:58 AM »
I went overboard this year on some gifts... and then I got lazy. That happens though when you are wrapping the gifts you bought, in addition to the gifts your parents bought each other, and even a few they bought you (I was with them when they bought them, so it wasn't a big deal... the surprise present, they wrapped themselves).

By going overboard, I mean that I wrapped them in Christmas boxes... and then wrapping paper. Dad started to say something about it, and Mom and I both pointed out to him that a good portion of the paper that we have is stuff that they bought from the school fundraiser when I was in elementary school (I'm 29) or that I bought when I worked at Walgreen's the day after Christmas (11 years ago).

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

Kaypeep

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 11:32:06 AM »
I think gifts should be wrapped, but what that wrapping is is up to the giver.  I also think it's acceptable to not wrap a gift IF you put it in a gift bag.  This rule applies to birthdays and holidays.  If you give a "just because" gift, it doesn't have to be wrapped.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 12:07:28 PM »
I am a wrapping dominatrix.  >:D >:D Everything in the same paper, fancy bows (usually I use fabric ribbon) and everyone else better keep their mitts off my wrapping paper. (I say this more nicely than it sounds ;) )

I did scale it back a little this year, jewel-tone metallic paper with matching metallic ribbon. Last year I did candy-cane paper with green ribbon and baby candy canes attached to the bows.

It's not expensive because I  always pick up my paper at the 75 percent off sale. Right now I'm two years ahead - next year will either be ivory and gold or a burgundy/pine green foil print. Haven't decided. :D If I had kids, I'd never go this far but I figure hey, I have the time.

magicdomino

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 12:20:10 PM »
I wrap, but I don't go crazy over it.  Christmas paper, ribbons, etc. are bought half price after Christmas (bonus if the paper can be used for other occasions  :) ).  My favorite package decorations are old Christmas cards; I cut off the front and glue it to the wrapped box.  Women's Day and Family Circle used to have a page of labels in their December issues, but I don't think they do that any more.  And for the record, I think gift bags are one of the best inventions ever.  Don't have a box?  Wrap it in tissue and plop it in a bag!   8)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »
I would be really sad and hurt if my gifts weren't wrapped.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 01:20:07 PM »
I prefer putting things in gift bags. Why? Because gift bags are reusable. Even out of season they are still cool. I don't put tissue in them either. Just plop the present inside the bag.

My presents as a child were rarely ever wrapped IIRC. I did not mind.
I have pet mice!

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 04:00:29 PM »
I like to make them pretty.  I don't go all out, but my presents are wrapped nicely with ribbons.  This year, I had blue and silver paper with a silver wire ribbon and these really cute tags (got 'em at Sam's Tuesday - some of you probably know the ones I'm talking about).  I ran out of paper at the end, so I sent Jason to Walgreen's to get more, with the only rule being it must have silver in it to match my ribbon.

So they were all pretty.  And there was no duck tape  >:D like Jason's presents usually have.

MeeLee

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 04:07:19 PM »
I use gift bags because when I try to wrap a gift it looks really bad.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 04:11:44 PM »
I use 3 pieces of scotch tape if I wrap gifts instead of using gifts bags.

For the co-workers, I use gift bags and a pretty, 2/$1  seasonal dishcloth on top of the gift instead of the tissue paper.

Vilandra

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 04:16:25 PM »
I don't go too Martha Stewart (but I am tempted, my mom had gorgeous bows and tags on our packages this year and it looked great!), but I do use new, festive wrapping paper and stick-on bows.

Our packages from MIL were wrapped in obviously used wrapping paper...some of it was in okay shape, but a couple of the packages fell apart the minute they were touched.   ::)  I'm not trying to be rude, and if it was a lack of funds thing I would understand, but honestly, I think wrapping in the funny pages would be a bit nicer than wrapping paper that looks like it's seen more Christmases than I have.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 04:23:20 PM »
I don't think there's any etiquette attached, though of course I could be wrong according to Miss Manners or Emily Post. I might be a little hurt if I was the one person who didn't get their gifts wrapped or bagged, but I have no problem with some quirky soul deciding not to gift package at all.

I'm bothered by people who are particular about gifts in any way. I was raised with very strong reinforcement of the idea that a gift is always a favor on the giver's part and that nothing else matters - as long as it isn't wildly inappropriate (latex lingerie for grandmother) or malicious (live rattlesnakes), of course.

My family uses gift bags exclusively. I'm capable of wrapping things the old-fashioned way, but it isn't terribly impressive when I do and I certainly don't feel the need. This is the first year I was able to get the tissue paper in the bags to look properly fluffed up!

StaciNadia

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 05:23:15 PM »
 :-[  I have like a dozen rolls of wrapping paper.  Because we have so many, they usually last for a few years.  Every year, we get some new rolls to replace the ones that emptied.  I get them in different colors with cute patterns. 

I'm not really a gift bag person, but I have used them occasionally (I got a No Peeking bag from Hallmark for a Red present this year.  It was hilarious, and I want to use it every year).  However, I certainly don't mind having gifts given in gift bags.

macysnail

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 06:54:50 PM »
I love wrapped gifts but I think wrapping paper is horribly wasteful and not environmentally friendly so I don't generally use it.  I try to wrap in things we already have, newspaper, paper bags, plastic bags, or I'll use bags that are truly reusable.  I've had to get really creative over the years to make presents wrapped in plastic bags look pretty but I generally accomplish it.  My favorite christmas I wrapped everything in brown paper with twine and dressed it up with evergreen sprigs from the christmas tree.  it was gorgeous, at least to me.