Author Topic: Speaking of gross food.  (Read 4655 times)

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
Speaking of gross food.
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:20:20 AM »
This was inspired by the picky guest thread, so I hope it's in the right category.

Years ago, when I was 19, I went out with a guy who was (and still is) 9 years older than myself.  Actually, we went with a group of his coworkers, to volunteer at the local children's hospital and had a blast!  Arthur (my date) was a nut though..in a good way, but too nutty even by my standards..

So here I was with a group of people all older than I.   Afterwards, they decided they would eat at a Chinese restaurant.   I do not like Chinese food.  Other people may love it (like billions of people in China), but I do not.

Anyways, I went along, I didn't want to rain on everyone's parade.

They passed all these dishes around, none of which appealed to me.  I couldn't even identify most.

So I ate rice.  I may have even tried some of the other items, but didn't like any of them. 

All the other people asked me why I wasn't eating much,  I tried to be polite, but they tried to convince me to eat stuff.   I didn't say I didn't care for Chinese food, except when they asked why I wasn't eating.  It didn't occur to me to lie and say I was full.

Was I rude?  Were they rude?

I was trying so hard not call attention to myself. 

By the way, this Chinese restaurant was named by Rosie O'Donnell as the weirdest place she's ever performed in.

Maybe she was there on a night when Arthur was in the audience.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: Speaking of gross food.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:21:52 AM »
I don't think you were rude if you merely went and sat quietly.

They were rude for questioning why you weren't eating and trying to convince you to try things after you declined.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
I definitely don't think that you were rude.  Sounds like you were quiet and tried to make do with what you could eat (and even go so far as to try some dishes knowing that you don't like Chinese food).

I don't think the others were rude the first one or two times they asked about you not eating.  I see that more as them trying to make the much younger date of a co-worker feel welcome.  If they kept pushing then that would be crossing the line into rudeness.  But even then, as long as they weren't outright mean and making you feel bad about not eating, you could still interpret their actions as being well-intentioned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Mikayla

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 10:58:40 AM »
Oh, I thought I was the only one!  I have hated Chinese food my whole life - it always reminds me of what you pull out of the disposal when something gets caught in it  ;D

Anyway, having been through this many times myself, I think you did the only possible thing.  I finally discovered I like that white chewy rice if it's floating in soy sauce and that's what I eat when I get dragged into one of those places.  Also, if you like eggs, some places will make plain egg foo young with nothing in it at all...that, too, is good drowned in soy sauce.

I know how you feel, though.  It's an incredibly popular cousine everywhere.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 03:02:44 PM »
Well, I think if I were the same age they were, they wouldn't have said anything.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 04:26:50 PM »
Well, I think if I were the same age they were, they wouldn't have said anything.

Exactly. 

I think that maybe they were a little uncomfortable with having someone 9 years younger dining with them and in their attempts to make you feel welcome simply went a little too far.  From your post it sounds like  they were about the same age I am now (28)  . . . and my social circles don't usually include teenagers.  As the older party, I would want to make sure a younger & new member person felt included and wasn't, say, too shy to dig into the food or something.  (I used this last point as an example becuase I was a bit of a late bloomer when it came to my self-confidence and social iinteractions.  That is, if I were the 19 year old, I might very have hungback a little.)

P.S.  I assume that you were responding to my post because I think that I'm only that mentioned age.  I haven't yet figured out how to tell to whom someone is replying unless they quote.  Any suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 05:58:21 PM »
That is why I usually order Sweet and Sour chicken, tell them to put the sauce on the side and you basically have chicken nuggets.

with rice.

I am not a big fan of Chinese food either but a lot of my friends are. So I found that this was a good "compromise" meal.  I get to be with them and I still get something that I can eat.

(OK -- I am one of those people you all pity that can live on Kraft dinner and hamburgers, However I do not call other people's food gross)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Gyro Widget

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 08:00:20 PM »
I did the same thing at a sushi place.  After I tried one piece of sushi and decided that it was not a style of food for me, I just ate bowls and bowls of rice (I pretty much do that at home anyways.. I loooove plain rice).  I always thought of it as a good trick when tagging along with a group to a ethnic place where I was not fond of the food.  I just can't imagine how mortified I would be if someone every called me on it. 

So to answer your question, yes they were rude.  The polite thing to do if they observed you only eating rice would be to say something like "Would you like to try this fish?" and to not press you if you said "no".

The wrooooong thing to do would be to say "OH!  You're not eating much!  You want to have some fish?!  No? Aw commoooooon!!!! HAVE SOME!"

Pixie

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 10:24:46 PM »
I like some Chinese food, but I am very picky about what I do and don't like. For example, I don't eat egg rolls.    I don't know what's in them.   Being allergic to green bell pepper, I check out anything green very carefully. 

Rose2Bear

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 11:21:10 PM »
Totally NOT rude. The immature guy in the other thread made his dissatisfaction known to everyone and was being rather extreme in the types of food he ruled out - meaning anything other than little kid school cafeteria style food was out. You, however, did not call attention to yourself and quietly made do with what you had. Plus, it's perfectly normal not to like a certain type of food. It's not like you were complaining becasue there was crust on your white bread or something. The only rude people were the other diners who tried to get to you eat food you didn't want.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 12:03:31 PM »
Even the best eaters don't like everything. As long as you're not making a fuss, you're not rude.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 03:04:56 AM »
Indeed, I think that you were very polite. I love Chinese food, but not everyone does....my FIL for instance would rather eat broken glass.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

BittyB

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 03:46:51 AM »
I had someone sort of do that to me the other day, too.  I work in a very small group (5 total) and the boss sometimes takes us all out to lunch.  He did so recently for one of our coworkers birthday, and we went to a local Thai restaurant.  Now, I do enjoy Chinese food, unlike the OP, but I am not particularly fond of the few bits of Thai food I have tried.  A few days before the lunch I asked about what kind of food they had (plotting for myself if I needed to very discreetly eat a snack before lunch just in case).  I was told they also serve Chinese food.  We go the restaurant, I order Chinese food, they all order Thai.  One of the ladies puts some of her dish on my plate and I thank her and try it.  It's good, and I tell her so.  She says that she will teach me to like Thai food.  I explained to her that I don't really mind trying new things, but when I am completely out of my depth about what the menu options even are, I sometimes prefer to go with the food I already know that I enjoy.  I thought this was sufficient but I got the very serious impression that she thought I was being rude for ordering off the menu, but ordering Chinese when everyone else was having Thai!  (She is also twice my age, so maybe it's a weird psuedo-mothering thing and she was honestly just trying to broaden my culinary horizons.  I didn't particularly like being, even briefly, lectured about my ability to order off a menu in front of all of our other coworkers, though.)

So, dear OP, I think they may have been just trying to include you, and maybe thought you were a bit intimidated about the food or company, and they probably didn't mean to be rude, though I can certainly empathize with being uncomfortable and then wondering if you might have been the rude one (though I certainly don't think you were being rude).

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 10:11:37 AM »
If a restaurant offers both Chinese and Thai, I see no rudeness in ordering anything that's on the menu.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Kena

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »
Some of my coworkers at a place I used to work would frequently go to a popular Indian restaurant.  It was usually a big to-do and lots of people (sometimes 10 or more) would go.  I was always invited, which I appreciated, but as I do not handle spicy food very well I would always politely turn them down.  The majority of them were just fine with that, but there were a few who pestered me to "culture my palate" and "grow up and try new things."  However, they got the hint pretty quickly when I threatened to use their restroom after we returned from lunch.