Author Topic: Explaining bean dip  (Read 6448 times)

veryfluffy

Explaining bean dip
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:26:30 AM »
It's sometimes easy to forget what a little subculture Ehell is, and how not everyone knows what we know. The other day I asked DH a question about something -- I don't remember what, but it was about something that needed doing, and he gave me some vague answer and then asked a totally unrelated question else. I said, "Did you just bean-dip me?"

Of course, he had no idea what I was talking about, so i had to explain the concept. In my mind, the verb "to bean-dip" is totally comprehensible and an everyday term!

Anyone else get caught out speaking Ehellionese?

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Explaining bean dip
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »
Not from EHell, but from another place. 

A loose group of friends has been meeting for beer and dinner every Wednesday night for decades.  The people involved have changed over time.  One of the core group seems to go to the bathroom even more than your average beer drinker.  Somehow "a Collin break" meaning "going to the bathroom" has spread farther than the beer group. 

smidget23

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:26:01 AM »
I catch myself trying to POD posts on other boards.
Flair/Flare is very confusing. Even for authors.

randomtangent

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:36:38 AM »
lol  ;D  a friend of mine, who started me on ehell, and i often speak in ehellionese.  'that's a bean dip conversation'  'i pod that'.  which is fine when it's just the 2 of us, but there have been times when we have been with another good friend of ours and said something and had to stop and explain to her what we meant.  we have her using some of the phrases now too.  >:D

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:44:15 AM »
lol  ;D  a friend of mine, who started me on ehell, and i often speak in ehellionese.  'that's a bean dip conversation'  'i pod that'.  which is fine when it's just the 2 of us, but there have been times when we have been with another good friend of ours and said something and had to stop and explain to her what we meant.  we have her using some of the phrases now too.  >:D

*snicker*
Yeah, it can get pretty bad trying to explain things to your friends when they give you a confused look and you think you've explained everything very clearly.  And then you realize that you just said something like "So it was obvious they were trying to bean dip me, so I decided to give up that line of questioning, and just POD whatever their decision was".    :-[

gibsongirl

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 08:28:56 PM »

*snicker*
Yeah, it can get pretty bad trying to explain things to your friends when they give you a confused look and you think you've explained everything very clearly.  And then you realize that you just said something like "So it was obvious they were trying to bean dip me, so I decided to give up that line of questioning, and just POD whatever their decision was".    :-[

I've managed to keep it all in my mind at the moment...but only by a very lucky "catching myself in time" moment! :D

Sefie

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »
I keep wanting to "upmod" posts here (from Reddit)... I suppose "upmod" sounds like POD...

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 12:03:51 AM »
I don't pod often on ehell, so I don't get into the habit of podding in real life, but bean dip really is dangerous!

It's even worse now that I've become good friends in real life with ehellions, because we often use bean dip in conversation, so it's not even like I have that automatic "oh, wait, that gets typed, not said out loud" filter.

Luckily, BF knows what bean dipping is, so I can use it around him.  I'm just waiting for the day that I start using in front of everyone, or better yet, out myself as an ehellion by using it in front of someone who recognizes it!

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 03:14:01 AM »
I tried to bring up an important relationship issue and the person in question most definitely tried to bean dip me to skirt the issue. I kept having to bring him back on topic; I wasn't letting him get away with his evasiveness.

I came SO close to saying, "I think I am being bean dipped" but then I realized he'd have no clue what I was talking about.

How come non-e-hellions are so good at bean dipping, whereas WE had to come to e-hell to learn how to do it?

I've also come close to saying POD in other forums.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 04:09:03 AM »
You can always write "WORD" "word" or "Wordy McWord" in other forums, in place of the beloved "POD".  I'm pretty sure "word" is universally understood.

"What an interesting assumption."

... dang.

I haven't done this yet because I haven't be fully immersed in the eHell subculture, but I really do like bean dip.  Refried beans are da bomb.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 04:36:06 AM »
I found myself advising a friend to bean-dip someone the other day, and then spent a good 10 minutes on IM trying to explain the concept. He was very grateful though, and vowed to use it!

Grape

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 01:19:53 PM »
After dinner with my parents recently, my hubby noticed me bean-dipping and asked me about it later. I explained what I was doing and told him all about the "bean dip" concept. He said in this case it was super-powered bean-dipping.... more like 7-layer dip!

randomtangent

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 02:37:27 PM »
lol  :D  i like the '7-layer' dip comment. 

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
7 layer dip!! LOL!! That must have been quite some evening.

Yes, for some reason, parents frequently need to be bean-dipped.

toontownnutter

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 08:04:27 AM »
I bean dipped my husband at the dinner table tonight because he was talking about something disgusting (glue and horses) I wasn't very smooth so I admitted imedietly I'd bean dipped him and he was like "nooo you changed the subject" I said "nah hun you go bean dipped"

Then the 9yo informed us they use "cow's shoes to make gummi bears" :-X