Author Topic: thank you..for giving me this pearl of wisdom..used on my DM  (Read 3608 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
thank you..for giving me this pearl of wisdom..used on my DM
« on: January 17, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »
recent conversation with my DM (I love her, but she drives me crazy).  This month I have tickets to a quasi-expensive show.  I love musicals, ballets, operas, comedian shows..I have eclectic taste.

mom: I need you to come over on XXX, I need help with yyy project.
Me: I am sorry mom, but I have plans for that weekend.
mom: where are you going?
me: DH and I have tickets to LLL. I'll be happy to help you on Sunday.
Mom: You can't afford to go do that, the tickets are $$$!  ??? ???
Me: What an interesting assumption. 
Mom: well you shouldn't use a credit card for non-emergencies.      (just for the record, I paid cash for this event...where she got this idea I have no notion)
Me: Mom I wouldn't use a credit card for entertainment purposes
mom: well, where did you get the money for tickets?!?!   (not that its any of her business, but my other relatives sent me money for Christmas)
Me: you know it grows on trees... (yes i know a little snarky, but the woman is exasperating sometimes)

my DH and DB found it quite amusing.  I don't know where this notion that we are flat broke came from.  I have never even borrowed money from her, even when I really needed too  (some years ago, after a major accident)....

interestingly enough, I acquired tickets to another show for next month..this conversation was just as bad

Mom: I have weekend x off, do you want to go to museum exhibit with me?
Me: Oh, I would love to, but I have tickets to LBS that day.  (the funny thing is, I really would like to go to the exhibit)
Mom: well I guess we could go to LBS together
Me: Mom, I am pretty sure the tickets are sold out...  (they were sold out  :-\)
Mom: you mean you didn't get 4 tickets!?!  (its just me a DH, Why would I get 4 tickets?), well you and I can go and your DH can stay at home. (oh and the 4th ticket, she thought would be for my brother)
Me: I'm sorry, that won't be possible.

I mean seriously...who does this?  If she wasn't my mother.....arghhhh...the really crazy thing is last month she got her and my DB tickets for one of my very favourite comedians.  I didn't even know about it until I saw the autographed pics  :'(  .  She didn't even mention it.  When i casually mentioned that I wish I knew about that show, she responded by saying how great it was and she knew I would have loved it...she got the tickets as a gift for my DB...and he wanted to take me   :'(  and she invited herself along instead

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:25:02 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

gibsongirl

Re: thank you..for giving me this pearl of wisdom..used on my DM
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
Oh, hon, I'm sorry.  You handled it perfectly from an etiquette perspective, but that's still got to sting.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:18:22 PM »
^ Yes, this.  {{{{{Dazi}}}}} Hugs for you!  I hope you and your DH enjoy the show very much.  You handled it really well.  Keep up the good work and don't go nuts! :)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 09:32:39 PM »
Has she always been this way ??

<<<HUGS>>> you did well.   8)

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »
I know that my DB is her favourite.  She doesn't deny it, he's the baby.  The one time I made a stink, she said that I didn't need her as much (which is true, I was always very self-relient even as a small child).

She hasn't always been this bad, but recently her behaviour has gotten much worse.  She is still peeved that I disinvited her from my home unless she changes how she treats my DH (who is the kindest man in the world, we have never figured out why she doesn't like him)  DH has never been anything but polite to her, so I have know idea where all the hostility comes from.  Other people have noticed, so at least I know it isn't my imagination...but I find it really sad because we have had a good rel@tionship before

edited because I cannot spell  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:39:45 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

immadz

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:56:45 AM »
It could be because before him, when you needed somebody (however rarely) you called here and now its him that you turn to and she feels displaced.

Just putting out my psychobabble, make of it what you will.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 10:35:08 AM »
I love my mother, but she is like a selfish 5 year old on some subjects.  I think she may have finally got a clue though...she is behaving much better.  It has been 4 months since I have let her step foot in my home though...I don't see that changing anytime soon.