Author Topic: separating frozen chicken?  (Read 6304 times)

lovinAZ

separating frozen chicken?
« on: April 11, 2007, 12:15:27 AM »
Again, not looking for a recipe, just help...  ???

DH and I buy large packages of chicken breasts and consume them over a few weeks.  Chicken was on sale, so we bought a big package (7 or 8 breasts).  Normally, we'd separate them and put them in their own little tupperwares before freezing, but we didn't for a small variety of irrelevant reasons.

Anyone know how we can get these things apart without defrosting the whole bunch?  It's not good to defrost and refreeze, but we're not going to eat 7 breasts before they go bad in the fridge, either.

Thanks  :)

AprilRenee

Re: separating frozen chicken?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:20:35 AM »
Run them under warm water? put them in a baggie and bang them on the counter?

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 01:14:02 AM »
no, but I'd love to hear. We resorted to a screw driver and hammer the other week.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 01:20:01 AM »
I think you would do best with soaking the chicken in warm to hot water in a bowl.  It should seperate them easily enough, but be careful with the temperature of the water when you go to pull them out.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 10:09:50 AM »
Run a knife under hot water and pryyyyyy them apart.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 01:54:37 PM »
I dont' think you want to expose these to much heat, otherwise you'll have rubber chicken when it comes time to cook them.  I'd let them sit out for just a few minutes, and then just use whatever tool looks like it would work to slip between them and pry.  I think the screwdriver sounds like a good place to start. 

Rei-chan

• It's been awhile, but it's good to be back!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:13:34 PM »

I would stay away from defrosting anything with warm water:  It breeds bacteria, especially in chicken.

Also, prying with knives and screwdrivers?  BE CAREFUL of you will slip and stab yourself.

My advice:  Buy a metal meat mallet.  Place chicken on counter, and bash it where the pieces meet.

Good Luck!   :)

veryfluffy

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »
Could you defrost them all, make up a big batch of coq au vin, and then freeze that in individual portions? It is okay to refreeze if it's been cooked first.

Psykogrl

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 08:46:03 PM »
While its not great to thaw and refreeze, you can to some extent. I partially thaw out the chicken (so that the centers are still frozen) with running, cool water.

Put the chicken in your sink and turn on the cold water so it runs over it. If it fits into some kind of container, like a bowl or pot or pan, then even better cause its the movement that does it.

(Caution: Mr Wizard Moment  ;) ) The running water creates a convection current, which even in cold water moves energy around in it, which thaws the chicken faster and without bacteria growth that warm water does

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 08:51:23 PM »
I would cook the whole mess up at once and then refreeze after cooking.

Once you got them apart you could make two or three differnt things out of them so you wouldn't be eating the same thing over and over again.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

lovinAZ

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 12:36:36 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions!!

I'm going to try to separate them with cold water (I would butcher myself with a knife or a screwdriver!!!!), and if they thaw too much for my liking, then we'll just cook 'em all up into various meals and freeze!

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 11:39:20 AM »
While its not great to thaw and refreeze, you can to some extent. I partially thaw out the chicken (so that the centers are still frozen) with running, cool water.

Put the chicken in your sink and turn on the cold water so it runs over it. If it fits into some kind of container, like a bowl or pot or pan, then even better cause its the movement that does it.

(Caution: Mr Wizard Moment  ;) ) The running water creates a convection current, which even in cold water moves energy around in it, which thaws the chicken faster and without bacteria growth that warm water does

Thank you for posting this!  I knew it was true that cold water would thaw chicken faster than warm water, but I didn't know why.  Now I do!   ;D

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 09:42:27 AM »
We always just threw the bag on the concrete floor of the garage.  Works like a charm!  ;D
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 11:34:43 AM »
Anyone know how we can get these things apart without defrosting the whole bunch?  It's not good to defrost and refreeze, but we're not going to eat 7 breasts before they go bad in the fridge, either.

If they are laid out and joined at the edges only I pry them apart. Stick something into the seam. A hefty thump often helps shatter them.

If they are all welded together flat ways I'd be inclined to start defrosting from one side (cold water method) and take off what you need.

lovinAZ

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 04:37:10 PM »
I ran them under cold water and pressed them apart (the sink bottom isn't flat).  I was able to separate them into singles and doubles, which was good enough (better than one mass of eight!).

Thanks!!