News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 01:16:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Goths have feelings too!  (Read 8796 times)

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
Re: Goths have feelings too!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 07:14:09 PM »
VorFemme - were you living in the back of my closet?

that is how I wanted to dress back then too.   (I graduated high school in 1977)

then lots of years later I joined the SCA and have my purple dress with the long, long sleeves and my green cloak with a hood (really - yes I do)

and I agree about going to the reunions - BAH - you don't want to talk to me in everyday life - why go to a party and pretend like we were the bestest buddies in high school.  (Yes, a lot of my classmates are still in my tiny town)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 07:18:29 PM »
I sewed the dress and the cape (Make It Yourself With Wool in 1972) - due to preacher's and part time teachers not being  paid princely sums of money, I wore that cape for the rest of high school.

After graduating high school and then getting married my first semester in college (1975 was a busy year), DH found a clearance sale so that we could afford to buy a gray leather coat (still paid too much but I wore it until the 1990s when I could no longer belt it even after having the second baby - so I suppose the cost per wearing was much reduced even if it wasn't THAT cold that often in West Texas & Arizona).  Especially considering that while active duty, I had to wear my uniform coat when working, not the gray leather..........

Gray leather isn't THAT warm - but a trench coat style wraps nicely over a sweater or two and cut the wind - which was more of a problem than really low temperatures in West Texas and Phoenix, Arizona.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:21:08 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

tickytack

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 10:33:39 AM »
When I first met my ex-boyfriend's sister, I happened to be wearing all black.  I have dark hair and am naturally pale.  I was also wearing red lipstick because hey - I like it, and it looks good on me.  When his mother, whom I had yet to meet, inquired as to what I was like, his sister told her she thought I was a Goth (no, I am not, nor have I ever been).

Upon hearing that, his mother began referring to me as "that devil worshipper Goth."

Any wonder why he is now my ex?

lucy_in_the_sky

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »
HA! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who gets the Goth thing!

I've got another one, as this kind of thing happens to me a lot. This one happened in Spain, but the perpetrator was English. (Gibraltar... it happens.)

I was out with my boyfriend, who is slim and pale and blonde, and not even REMOTELY Goth looking. I was wearing a long black skirt, a black shirt, and a black leather jacket (so beat up it had no buttons) because it was nighttime and I was chilly. I think I was wearing black ballet flats. Again, like in my OP I was wearing my (then) waist-length blonde hair loose and beachy. My makeup was practically non-existent.

Guy is standing a few people away from me at the bar, and sees my boyfriend come over to me and give me a kiss. I disappear for a minute, and when I come back my boyfriend has a very funny look on his face and suggests we leave. As it turns out, Guy took it upon himself to ask my boyfriend why he'd brought a "mosher" to the pub, and was it a fetish thing? He went on to ask if I lead BF around on a leash.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Needless to say, its a very good thing that my BF got me out of there before I caught wind of this conversation.

Penguinity

• It's Penguins all the way down
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 08:04:21 PM »
HA! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who gets the Goth thing!

I've got another one, as this kind of thing happens to me a lot. This one happened in Spain, but the perpetrator was English. (Gibraltar... it happens.)

I was out with my boyfriend, who is slim and pale and blonde, and not even REMOTELY Goth looking. I was wearing a long black skirt, a black shirt, and a black leather jacket (so beat up it had no buttons) because it was nighttime and I was chilly. I think I was wearing black ballet flats. Again, like in my OP I was wearing my (then) waist-length blonde hair loose and beachy. My makeup was practically non-existent.

Guy is standing a few people away from me at the bar, and sees my boyfriend come over to me and give me a kiss. I disappear for a minute, and when I come back my boyfriend has a very funny look on his face and suggests we leave. As it turns out, Guy took it upon himself to ask my boyfriend why he'd brought a "mosher" to the pub, and was it a fetish thing? He went on to ask if I lead BF around on a leash.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Needless to say, its a very good thing that my BF got me out of there before I caught wind of this conversation.

In the spirit of interesting assumptions, I had a nice conversation with the BF of a lady who fits Guy's assumptions.

He was a banker.  >:D

wordgirl

• Just bead it
  • Pinterest is the new crack
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 08:09:15 PM »
I have nothing but respect for people who can manage to wear Goth stylishly.  I tried to wear Goth one time to go to a particular club with my friend...

And I looked about like this video at 30:48:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/61393/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-doppelgangland#x-0,vepisode,1

(Chosen in terms of awkwardness, even though it's not exactly Goth)
You looked like cute corseted not-Evil Willow? I have to tell you, most of the guys I know would be drooling on their keyboard at that sight.