News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 30, 2016, 09:33:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 100505 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #825 on: May 25, 2016, 09:17:03 AM »

We've had a laptop computer now for about 6 years, but still have the big, fat, old monitor and tower from our old set up.  Why, you ask?  I have no idea!  W

If you have Best Buy near you, if you bring it in, they'll recycle at no charge. I had two old towers and a giant moniter. I pulled the hard drives from each, which I still have, but took the guts in to recycle.
Unfortunately, we don't have a Best Buy near us.  There is a guy who teaches electronics at a local high school and he does take things in for students to work on.  I think he would even accept these.  I should check with him.  I would also pull the hard drive.  Even though there isn't anything sensitive  like financial stuff which we never do in the computer, it makes me uncomfortable to think someone is looking at anything of mine.  I have writing and drawings in there and lots of emails over the years and I don't think you really can completely delete information from a hard drive.

Maybe check out some other electronic stores? I also know in my town, you can take it to the recycle center there.

I hear you; that's why I still have my hard drives. I know you can do stuff to destroy, etc. but they take up so little room, I figured I'd just hang onto them, to be on the safe side.

crazycatlady331

« Reply #826 on: May 26, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »
We've had a laptop computer now for about 6 years, but still have the big, fat, old monitor and tower from our old set up.  Why, you ask?  I have no idea!  We also have a five shelf unit of old, obsolete computer books.  They are on their way out, but not quickly enough for me!  I think I'll tell my husband t donate them to the library annual book sale...we always go there and he buys computer books...if he thinks he can buy them back in September at that sale, he might be less hesitant to get rid of them.  On the other hand, why would I want to risk his bringing them back into the house!  Bad idea!   :o

I'm not sure if you're in the US or not, but a lot of municipalities have electronics recycling days (Google is your friend here).

I know upthread Best Buy was mentioned, and you said they're not near you.  I believe Staples also takes old electronics for recycling (I'd call first though) if you have one near you. 

siamesecat2965

« Reply #827 on: May 26, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »
And the electronic recycling discussion has prompted me to finally decide to get rid of what remains of my dad's old stereo system. The speakers are already gone, but I still have the receiver, CD player and some sort of master thingy that controls the on and off and switching for it all. It literally dates from the 1980's, and is pretty much obsolete. I think i was sort of hanging onto it, thinking I could get speakers etc. nad perhaps for sentimental reasons.  But its huge and probably not compatible with anything current, so out its going.

I'm also not a huge music listener to begin with, so really I don't need anything at the moment, and when I do decide on something, I'm leaning towards something like the Bose soundtouch, a wireless music system that runs off your home's wifi. Small and has the ability to stream, which really is all I need.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #828 on: Today at 11:09:37 AM »
B/G: I come from a family of savers/hoarders. In defense, that generation was immigrant/Depression-era, and having stuff was a form of security. My mother passed away last October at 93, a widow with little connection to my stepfather's family. There are only two members of my blood family left alive besides me, my aunt (Mom's younger sister) and a distant cousin in another state. I live two states distance from my aunt, who is the sole heir and executor of Mom's estate. I readily acquiesced to this, she took care of my Mom and her husband both as they declined in health for the last 10+ years. /End BG

My aunt called and asked me to come and help her get Mom's house ready for sale. I went there for ten days and found that she has made but little progress in this, partly because she picks up a piece of paper, reads part of it, then says "oh, I'll save that for later to go through it". Or an object "we might need this, let's put it aside" or an article of clothing "do you want this, she paid X for it". Please note, Mom was a petite size 12. I am nearly six foot, clothing size 16, wear shoes four sizes larger and even her rings won't fit on my pinkie.
I did manage to get her to let me shred statements, etc., from ten years ago. Over 20 huge garbage bags of shred later, plus four large bins of recycling for ancient magazines, wire hangers, etc., and four complete fills of the large sedan she drives going to the charity shop, we can walk through the three bedrooms. I also spent a marathon day getting the utilities switched to her name until the house sells, (cable TV still not done, she has to show up in person at their office with certified copies of Mom and stepfathers' death certificates!) I did get all the photos corralled in three dresser drawers for her to look through, got all the important papers pulled out of books and magazines where they were bookmarks (!) and put into one drawer. I went through ALL her jewelry and made three boxes: one for good jewelry, one for costume jewelry and one for the "I'm not sure if this is good or costume".  Found her wedding ring set in a dish with broken costume and some safety pins.
Haven't touched the living room, dining room cabinets, or Kitchen cabinets yet. Next time.
I have the feeling when Aunt passes on, I will be left with three houses to declutter and sell (she still has not sold my grandmother's house, over 20 years after she passed away, yes, she still pays the utilities, taxes, and upkeep).
Sorry this is long, I am still decompressing. Can't wait for Round 2.

Elisabunny

« Reply #829 on: Today at 02:25:00 PM »
My father is having to go back and forth to HomeState to help his sister clear out their mother's house.  Sister wants to sell try to sell absolutely everything, while DF wants to just dispose of the junk.  ::)

Off-topic: one of the non-junk items that might come to me is a treadle sewing machine that still works!  ;D  Does anyone know where to find replacement belts?
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

otterwoman

« Reply #830 on: Today at 02:32:03 PM »
My father is having to go back and forth to HomeState to help his sister clear out their mother's house.  Sister wants to sell try to sell absolutely everything, while DF wants to just dispose of the junk.  ::)

Off-topic: one of the non-junk items that might come to me is a treadle sewing machine that still works!  ;D  Does anyone know where to find replacement belts?

There is a FB group for Vintage Sewing machines, https://www.facebook.com/groups/VintageSewingMachines/?fref=nf , there are people there who sell replacement parts. Also, it is a fabulous place to ask questions.

Elisabunny

« Reply #831 on: Today at 02:36:30 PM »
Thank you!
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #832 on: Today at 03:21:20 PM »
I am making arrangements to help my Father clean out the house later this year.

My deceased Mother wasn't Quite a hoarder, as there is not garbage saved, but she really liked to hold onto junk.  Stuff like the "pirate ship" my brother made when he was 7 years old. He doesn't want it, but my Mother could never get rid of it. Or the linen closet full of non matching sheets where all the elastic is bad in the fitted sheets and none of the flat sheets match the fitted ones. and the ratty towels that still must be good for something. Or the shoes that she wore in the 1970s before she had to stop wearing high heels.

I am pretty sure none of the stuff in the house is worth anything, not even enough to be worth wasting our time with a garage sale. But I need to get there to look at it all.

My Dad has saved computer magazines back to the 1980s because he might want to read them sometime  ::)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #833 on: Today at 04:41:41 PM »
The local animal shelter would likely really appreciate those old towels and sheets.  My town will take as many as they can get.  They use them until they fall apart in the wash.  If they only get one go out of them?  At least they got used.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #834 on: Today at 05:28:50 PM »
The local animal shelter would likely really appreciate those old towels and sheets.  My town will take as many as they can get.  They use them until they fall apart in the wash.  If they only get one go out of them?  At least they got used.

Thats what I did with the sheets and towels that I cleared out of my linen closet a few years back. I intend to do that with any my Father doesn't want to use as rags for cleaning cars, etc.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

lorelai

« Reply #835 on: Today at 05:34:47 PM »
I have been enjoying your posts in this thread for quite some time and now hope to join you all in this mission of decluttering! There is so much to work through in my home. Room by room, drawer by drawer. I just finished up a school program and have the summer off for the first time in over a decade, and would love to hack away at the clutter.

I was wondering if anyone has advice for how to stay motivated when life gets in the way? Sickness, family issues, general stresses.... I've had two weeks now to get started and there's always a reason not to.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #836 on: Today at 07:33:24 PM »
I have been enjoying your posts in this thread for quite some time and now hope to join you all in this mission of decluttering! There is so much to work through in my home. Room by room, drawer by drawer. I just finished up a school program and have the summer off for the first time in over a decade, and would love to hack away at the clutter.

I was wondering if anyone has advice for how to stay motivated when life gets in the way? Sickness, family issues, general stresses.... I've had two weeks now to get started and there's always a reason not to.
The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. A few ideas:

Set a timer for a period, like an hour, work nonstop 'til the timer goes off, then take a short break. Rinse, repeat a couple of times, knock off for the day. Repeat daily.
or
Commit to tossing out some set amount each day. One bag, one trunkful to Goodwill, whatever.
or
Pull one drawer out, sort it, go to the next.
or
Commit to get one area or room straight. Ignore everything until that is clear.
The toughest thing is consistency, not how much you get done in a day.