News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 01, 2015, 09:06:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need Arabic translation help  (Read 436 times)

kittyhugger35

• Cat wrangler and professional bunny hugger. -I love soft things!
Need Arabic translation help
« on: January 24, 2015, 07:32:48 PM »
Dear Ehellions

I am a new student teacher who has been assigned to help a child learn to play the ukelele.

He's a nice kid. He comes from Egypt and I am not even sure how much Arabic he can read if any and his studies seem to have been neglected.
I cannot read Arabic so online translations don't help me and possibly won't help him either.

Does anyone know of a reliable online translation tool that will speak the words slower for me? I have been using google translate and it goes too fast.

Anyone know of another site that will teach me what to say more slowly?

I need to translate these words and phrases to start with:

watch me

wait

use your thumb only

down

up

finger

1, 2, 3, 4

string

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:47:00 PM by kittyhugger35 »
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

kittyhugger35

Re: Need Arabic translation help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:10:38 PM »
Please check what I have translated in Google translate so that I am not writing anything rude to a 10 year old child who speaks arabic.

[أوكلل] من السهل كسر   - the ukelele is easy to break

سوف معلمك تظهر لك ما يجب القيام به وليس القيام به مع أوكلل] الخاص بك.
Your teacher will show you what to do and not do with your ukelele.

الجزء رقيقة طويلة هو العنق كنت تحمل في يدك اليسرى دائما   - the long thin part is the neck you hold it in your left hand always

ويسمى الجزء الدهون من القيثارة مع ثقب فيه الجسم   the fat part of the ukulele with the hole in it is called the body

استخدام الجانب من الإبهام لمداعبة أوتار الآلة الموسيقية السلاسل    -use the side of your thumb to strum the strings

لا تستخدم الأظافر لمداعبة أوتار الآلة الموسيقية أو العزف على الاوتار   -do not use your fingernails to strum or play the strings

الملعب يعني مدى ارتفاع أو انخفاض كيف صوت هو    - the pitch means how high or how low a sound is

لتغيير الملعب من سلسلة تضغط باستمرار على ذلك مع يدك اليسرى.  To change the pitch of the string you press down on it with your left hand.

التي تجعل من سلسلة أقصر عندما يجعل من الضوضاء لذلك يبدو أعلى   That makes the string shorter when it makes noise so it sounds higher.

لاختيار الملعب نريد أن نسمع، ونحن بحاجة إلى استخدام الحنق على الرقبة.
To choose the pitch we want to hear, we need to use the frets on the neck.

الحنق على القيثارة هي قطعة من قطع معدنية عبر الأصابع إلى قطع صغيرة.
The frets on the ukulele are the pieces of metal cutting across the fingerboard into little pieces.

للعب سلسلة مفتوحة لا اضغط لأسفل مع أصابعك على سلاسل على الأصابع.
To play an open string do not press down with your fingers on the strings on the fingerboard.

كل سلسلة مفتوحة له اسم، وهو اسم كتاب من الأبجدية.
Each open string has a name, a letter name from the alphabet.

ويطلق على سلسلة الأقرب إلى السقف عندما يكون لديك في يديك G.
The string closest to the ceiling when you have it in your hands is called the G.

ويطلق على سلسلة القادمة نزولا من G على C.
The next string down from the G is called the C.

ويطلق على سلسلة القادمة من أسفل C في E.
The next string down from the C is called the E.

ويطلق على سلسلة على الجزء السفلي من A.
The string on the bottom is called the A.

لتغيير الملعب استخدام جزء الدهون من إصبعك واضغط لأسفل على الأصابع بين الحنق
To change the pitch use the fat part of your finger and press down on the fingerboard between frets.

أرني الجزء الدهون من الاصبع.
Show me the fat part of the finger.

إذا الملعب الأصوات الصحافة السيئة أو بزي أسفل أكثر صعوبة مع الجزء الناعم من الإصبع.
If the pitch sounds bad or buzzy press down harder with the soft part of the finger.

إذا كنت اضغط لأسفل على الأصابع الصعب بما فيه الكفاية عند رفع إصبعك السلسلة سوف يترك ثغرة في إصبعك.
If you press down on the fingerboard hard enough when you lift up your finger the string will leave a dent in your finger.

المعلم يمكن أن تظهر لك تأثير في إصبعها بعد أن تضغط باستمرار على سلسلة قوية بما يكفي لجعل صوت جيد.
The teacher can show you the dent in her finger after she presses down on the string hard enough to make a good sound.

يدعى كل الملعب مع بريد إلكتروني.
Each pitch is named with a letter. A, B, C, D, E, F, G.

عندما كنت تلعب اثنين أو أكثر من الأصوات أو الملاعب في الوقت نفسه في الموسيقى إجراء وتر.
When you play two or more sounds or pitches at the same time in music you make a chord.

الواجب المنزلي Homework:

تعلم أسماء الأشياء ويشير المعلم لفي اللغة الإنجليزية.
Learn the names of the things your teacher points to in English.

ممارسة ما يظهر المعلم لك.
Practice what the teacher shows you.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 10:33:53 PM »
I don't know Arabic nor do I know of a site that can do what you want but wouldn't it make more sense for you to teach him in English? The phrases you need seem simplistic enough to use sign language and/or pictures. When I was tutoring English for kids who weren't native speakers, I taught them *in* English, using pictures, gestures, pointing  etc

If that doesn't work then maybe ask a family member to sit in on a lesson or two till he get s the hang of it.or maybe there's a teacher at the school who speaks the language. I wouldn't rely on an online tool like Google translate because it doesn't always give the correct translation.

Dear Ehellions

I am a new student teacher who has been assigned to help a child learn to play the ukelele.

He's a nice kid. He comes from Egypt and I am not even sure how much Arabic he can read if any and his studies seem to have been neglected.
I cannot read Arabic so online translations don't help me and possibly won't help him either.

Does anyone know of a reliable online translation tool that will speak the words slower for me? I have been using google translate and it goes too fast.

Anyone know of another site that will teach me what to say more slowly?

I need to translate these words and phrases to start with:

watch me

wait

use your thumb only

down

up

finger

1, 2, 3, 4

string

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

kittyhugger35

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:26:55 PM »
Thanks for replying Cicero.

I actually have a English as a Second Language teaching certificate and I have also worked with the kid one on one for one class. We are getting behind and using sign cards doesn't work when he is looking down at his hands and forgets the words for stop and look up at me. He is really a low level English learner. My supervising teacher has already tried to get translation services on it from the city and they don't have the time and resources to spend on this.

No one at the school speaks Arabic.

The parents work during the day.

Using google does give me cause for concern which why I am reaching out to any place and anyone who could help. I have also contacted my university and I am waiting to hear from the international students society.

I am due to teach this kid again on Monday and his lack of English is really a big problem even working one on one with him.

I am just really frustrated not being able to help this kid.

zainabzks

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 01:56:23 AM »
I don't know Arabic but I do know a few words.

1= wahidh
2=Athnain
3= thalaatha
4= urba
5= khumsa
6= sitha
7= saba
8= thamaniya
9= tissa
10-usharah

wait= sthenknee
come= taal
no= laah
yes= naam
thank you = shukrun
you're welcome= afwan
welcome= ahlan

beautiful-= jameel(a)
good= kwais
not good= la kwais

I hope this helps! :) I have an Arab friend. I can ask her to check your google stuff when I see her.

sylviatexas

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 09:39:06 AM »
In some cultures, children are taught to keep their eyes down as a sign of respect;
it would be extremely uncomfortable for such a child to follow instructions to "look up & look at me".

kittyhugger35

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »
Thanks for all your advice thus far.

And zainabzks you are quite the life saver. I am going to be using the word thumb when speaking to him over and over again. If your friend can give you a phonetic written version of the word for us English speakers that would be awesome!

greencat

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
Instead of trying to communicate with language, can you find picture books showing the concepts?  It also seems like you'd be best off just pointing to the strings and saying "A B C D E F G" for each one.

Translating terminology specific to a field is much harder than ordinary conversational translation.

Oh Joy

« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:48:19 PM »
I'm a little late to the party, here.  But there are many dialects of Arabic and they're not fully interchangeable...especially when spoken by someone not fluent.  I would proceed with caution if your goal is to reduce frustration.

Do the parents speak English?   Could you send a request for translation home with him?

kittyhugger35

« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:04:14 PM »
OP here.

I just sent an email to a woman at my school who works with the international students and is fluent in Arabic. I explained the situation including that this child is from Egypt so hopefully she gave me great corrections. I hope so.

I think in the future I will ask her for help and I can also ask the little boy's older sister as well.

Thanks for everyone's concern and assistance.