Author Topic: Costume Ideas.  (Read 358 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Costume Ideas.
« on: Yesterday at 11:32:35 AM »
Veronaz's thread about her Halloween costume  started me thinking. 

What costumes have you put together that were both satisfying and economical?

Some years ago we were planning a 'Meet the Mummy' party at the museum and I decided to be a lady of New Kingdom Egypt.  I already had a long, white linen skirt and a short-sleeved, boat-necked linen top.  I had plenty of 'Egyptianesque' jewelry, a sash with a hieroglyphic pattern and a red-gold shawl with the same kind of fringe worn at the time. 

To make the costume work I had to buy two wigs but they were very cheap costume wigs.  I also thought that a pair of gold sandals would add to the look and found a pair at a deep discount.  The sandals proved useful for house and beach wear.  One of the wigs found further employment in the  pirate and 'Wizarding Folk' costumes of later years. 

It was the best 15 USD I ever spent. 

No, it wasn't authentic but it was close to the public perception of ancient Egypt and it worked.  No one had any trouble figuring out what I was supposed to be and shopping for the needed elements was great fun.

What costumes have you put together that didn't require much time or money but were wonderful?

Mods, if you feel this better belongs in the 'Holiday' board, please move.   

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Costume Ideas.
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:22:53 PM »
I've used four yards of regular fabric to recreat a Greek chiton - pink for Aphrodite/Venus and green for Ceres/Demeter (I was pregnant) - same silver sequin covered simple triangular tiara was called a "stephane" for the costume, and the same silver cords were used as girdle & to bind up my hair in a vaguely Greek manner.  Some rhinestone buttons on pins held the shoulders together in a relatively authentic manner.  The only issue was the sheet or shirt type fabric was a little too "crisp" to drape well....it should have been a lot more fluid (loosely woven) to hand correctly.  I was in my twenties...

Both parties were indoors, I forget if I wore silver high heeled sandals that I already owned or went barefoot at the party.

In pink, the side fell open to just above the knee and in green, I pinned it to stay shut to below the knee (draping it alone didn't quite work as well as pinning it).

I still have the silver cords & rhinestone buttons - the fabrics have been cut & sewn in the thirty-plus years since I wore those outfits.  Today, at fifty-seven, I'd have to pick a very different goddess - perhaps Demeter/Ceres after Persephone/Prosperina was kidnapped?  I might actually have a lightweight wool that would be more authentic...depends on if I'll need a costume for a party, I suppose.

Handing out candy can be done in a t-shirt with a glow in the dark design of a witch flying a broom in front of a full moon....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:43:00 PM »
I did a Mulan costume for a Disney party - which was a bit of a challenge, given I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to making things with a pattern, and considering we only had photos to go on! Given that all the Disney officianados in the group immediately recognised me, I think. It turned out pretty well :)

Desdemona

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 12:53:11 PM »
Little Red Riding Hood was my favorite and the cheapest. It was easy to find a cheap white dress at the end of October and I had a pair of brown shoes and white tights. The most expensive thing was the red cape and I've been able to use that for other costumes so it was worth it. I got a lot of compliments and it was so easy to put together!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:44:13 PM »
I made a Queen Bee costume once. Wore black pants and boots. Bought a black tee, ribbon and gold glitter  at the craft store. Glued ribbon onto the tee fir stripes and used the paint to write Queen Bee on the tee. Biggest expense was wings and antennae from the costume store. But all told, I spent $25 or less,

Jones

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:09:42 PM »
DD loves Pokemon. She has a nice brown dress coat. We are getting a brown cap with a big pink nose and she will be Diglet this Halloween.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:21:54 PM »
I put together a great Wednesday Addams costume for work. Black tights, black dress (plus a black cardigan to give it sleeves, since my most fitting dress was sleeveless), white collared shirt under it, and a belt. I already owned all of those, and my hair is long and straight, so I could do the braids easily. It was deemed the absolute perfect costume and I have to repeat it every year. LOL. 

Although I'd better find a wig this year, because my hair is shorter!

Octavia

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:59:26 PM »
I had fun putting together a Morton's salt girl costume. Just needed a blue umbrella, a yellow dress, Mary Jane shoes, and a container of Morton's salt.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 03:13:24 PM »
For once, this is a costume topic I can't offer much help with. Budget? What budget!
I pretty much have to fabricate most things from scratch for my outfits (Unique clothing items that can't be purchased off the rack, or faked using repurposed street clothes), and the costume contests I enter insist that everything within reason be made by the entrant.

(Says the geek who just spent $125 on an acrylic ninja- style saber blade etched with lightning patters, so my energy weapon props won't look so much like misappropriated Star Wars toys)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 03:22:27 PM »
I made all of DS's costumes when he was young - we don't celebrate Halloween but there is a jewish holiday - Purim - that also includes costumes. ah, the good ol' days when i had a sewing machine and put forth effort to be the. best. mom ;D
he was a china man, a clown, another clown, a soldier a few times, cow boy, and the famous year i made him a teenage mutant ninja turtle - or to be exact, Donatello.

here's the ninja turtle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 04:45:13 PM »
I was a ninja turtle in high school.  My dad decided the costumes in the store were pretty lame so they got me a green sweatshirt and sweatpants and he made a shell for it that one of my cousins borrowed later. :) 

As a mom, years ago I watched Edward Scissorhands with my boys and the eldest wanted to be ES for Halloween but of course there just aren't many costumes out there for 5 year old boys for that character.  So I got him black pants and a black turtleneck, some black ribbon and two metal bobbin rings.  I attached those to the shirt and then got black knit gloves and traced scissorblades onto cardboard, spray painted it all with silver paint and sewed them onto the gloves.  Painted his face white, used eyeliner for the "scars" and such and though he's blond with thick hair (or it was blonde back then) I got some of the temporary color spray and tried to blacken it up. 

The year my middle child went as Harry Potter really kinda soured me on buying costumes.  For about $25 all we got was the cape.  We had to then buy the glasses along with a tie for $10 apiece.  And I had to get him something to wear under that would look like a uniform.  We try to either recycle costume pieces or I buy stuff at thrift stores. 

In 2012 I threw together a Barnabas Collins costume for my oldest son while my middle son wore a black shirt and pants with a cape and a shirt bunched up and under his shirt to look like a hump and I wrote "H. Delbruck" on his palm and told him to switch the hump from side to side.  Last year I got a yellow shirt and sewed a black zigzag stripe onto it so he could be Charlie Brown.

And in 2012 I made the little one an Animal costume.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: Today at 11:58:35 AM »
One year, a local boy decided to dress up as a California Roll.

Big circles of poster board were cut out.  The crab and avocado were painted on with markers.  Plastic packing peanuts were pasted on to represent the rice and a black, plastic trash bag formed the seaweed wrap.  The costume was in the form of a sandwich board so the child could wear any necessary clothes underneath it. 

It took some work to make but it was cheap, practical and easy to wear. He won a prize at the neighborhood Halloween parade.  His prize was a gift certificate to a sushi restaurant. 

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:11:39 PM »
cicero, I love the Ninja Turtle! 

Last year my DH and I went as Sandy and Danny from Grease. I think my outfit (all pleather) cost about $20 total, including earrings and lipstick! His was all stuff he had already too.  Basically free!

This year I am going as Rosie the Riveter - jeans, denim shirt rolled up sleeves, red bandana, red lips.  Basically free!