Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 59533 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #825 on: September 27, 2014, 06:30:48 PM »
Diffuse instead of defuse. No...you defuse a bomb. You don't diffuse it. The latter is an extremely bad idea.

And doesn't a bomb "diffuse" itself when it explodes?

is it ironic that the word "Spelling" in the thread title mistakenly has three l's instead of 2?

I think it's an "insiders' joke".

+++

The last time I tried writing a story, the intended plot, characters, and setting tried to go to the theater and watch a play - which then tried to exit the stage and take over the paper I was writing on...

I have two wonderful scenes but they won't let me transfer them to paper without trying to invite another scene to strut its stuff upon the page (or screen, now that I use a keyboard more than a pen)....and I've just paraphrased Shakespeare!  You can't get away from his influence on the English language and the writer's craft easily...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:41:13 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #826 on: September 29, 2014, 02:33:39 PM »
I had one take over the story entirely.

"You're a secondary character in a flashback, then you die, OK?"

"Oh, heck no. I'm the hero."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #827 on: September 29, 2014, 03:32:16 PM »

Well can you blame him for trying to save himself? You're just lucky your character didn't follow the Malcolm Reynolds motto: "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." By comparison, taking over the story seems downright reasonable.  ;)

whatsanenigma

« Reply #828 on: September 29, 2014, 04:53:25 PM »

Well can you blame him for trying to save himself? You're just lucky your character didn't follow the Malcolm Reynolds motto: "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." By comparison, taking over the story seems downright reasonable.  ;)

Alternatively, he might have agreed to die in the flashback but in return, demand a prequel in which he is the hero.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #829 on: September 29, 2014, 11:10:11 PM »
Last week I was at Home Depot and I think my head exploded.

In the space of 10 feet there were four signs.
Three of them were for:

Tall easle backed mirrors
Writting desks
Wardrob

It was too much, so I mentioned it to the associate.

I was back at the store two days later but could not bear to see if the signs had been fixed.
Instead, I just whimpered and buried my eyes on my husband"s shoulder when I saw the sign for miss-cut blinds.

One of the signs was computer printed (where was spell check?) The others were all hand written - in the same hand writing!  :o

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #830 on: Yesterday at 12:25:12 PM »
Last week I was at Home Depot and I think my head exploded.

In the space of 10 feet there were four signs.
Three of them were for:

Tall easle backed mirrors
Writting desks
Wardrob

It was too much, so I mentioned it to the associate.

I was back at the store two days later but could not bear to see if the signs had been fixed.
Instead, I just whimpered and buried my eyes on my husband"s shoulder when I saw the sign for miss-cut blinds.

One of the signs was computer printed (where was spell check?) The others were all hand written - in the same hand writing!  :o

I see a lot of this. What gets me the most is that some of these signs are produced in an office somewhere, supposedly by a professional (I can dream!). It's ridiculous.  :P

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #831 on: Yesterday at 12:30:21 PM »
I was watching the opening skit on last week's SNL. The cast member said, "Incidentses" instead of "incidents." This is a common mistake people make, but I have to admit it bugs me. FTR, it's not as if she was saying it this way to be funny; I honestly believe that the writers believe that is the correct way to say it. I know, I need to deal with the new world, but I don't have to like it!  :-\

Eeep!

« Reply #832 on: Yesterday at 05:01:37 PM »
I was watching the opening skit on last week's SNL. The cast member said, "Incidentses" instead of "incidents." This is a common mistake people make, but I have to admit it bugs me. FTR, it's not as if she was saying it this way to be funny; I honestly believe that the writers believe that is the correct way to say it. I know, I need to deal with the new world, but I don't have to like it!  :-\

I think this happens because people are mixing up incidents with incidences.  Are you sure they weren't saying the latter?
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

cabbageweevil

« Reply #833 on: Yesterday at 05:08:46 PM »

I think this happens because people are mixing up incidents with incidences.  Are you sure they weren't saying the latter?

Maybe; or maybe Gollum is taking-over the world...

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #834 on: Yesterday at 10:42:32 PM »
I'm unemployed and applying for work in the public information/communications/marketing field.

Last week I answered a blind Craigslist ad for a "marketing/business manager/social media" position. I got this response (some details blurred):

Hello Kendrick,

What we like to do is before a interview we like to see a skill set. We give all applicants a design challenge. Attached is a [picture of a thing], We would like you to take the [picture of a thing] and recreate your own design. please do a little research on what we do.
We hope to hear from you!

Please open a new email and send it to this email.

Thank you,
[Guy's Name]

I did respond. I told him my name isn't Kendrick, I was not applying for a design position, and when I tried to "do a little research" by clicking the link to the company website on its Facebook page, I got a GoDaddy "this domain name is currently available" page.

If they hadn't lost me at "Kendrick," they would have lost me at "a interview."

My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #835 on: Today at 01:54:00 PM »

She did say the latter, and it should've been the former, incidents, plural of incident. This is a common mistake, but I would expect a professional writer to know the difference.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/incidence_incidents.htm

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #836 on: Today at 01:54:38 PM »

Maybe; or maybe Gollum is taking-over the world...

Good point!  :)