Author Topic: Need costume ideas!  (Read 233 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Need costume ideas!
« on: Yesterday at 08:25:18 PM »
It's kinda sorta creeping toward warmer weather now, which means I'm counting down the days until DragonCon  ;D  I love creating a costume each year, just something fun to dress up in, but I'm at a loss this time around.  Here's my criteria:

1) Something recognizable from science fiction or pop culture - TV or movies usually works best, since people have a good visual, and that gives me more leeway if I don't look exactly like the actress/character

2) Something I won't absolutely *melt* in if it gets hot (I did Carmen Sandiego and Inspector Gadget the last two years - not doing a trench coat again!)

3) Something that won't require excessively awesome sewing skills

4) Something that won't require me to carry around fragile/heavy props

5) I'm more of a cylinder than an hourglass shape nowadays, so costumes which require me to look like Barbie aren't going to have the same effect  :P

That said . . . anyone got some suggestions?  My hair is long, brown, and wavy (think Hermione Granger) and I'd rather not have to cut/color it, although I can hide it under a hat/helmet if necessary . . .

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Need costume ideas!
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:54:39 PM »
Carry a wand - just not obviously, wear current clothing, possibly a thick book, & run around asking people if they've seen your husband - a ginger haired guy with a goofy grin - name of Ron W.  You got separated from him at the train station...or something...

Mention that he has the baby - whatever the name of their oldest was in the scene at the end of The Deathly Hallows where all the 11 year olds from that year group are boarding the train...the wand can be stuck in a small carry bag, like a diaper bag, but kind of half falling out (Velcro so it doesn't).  Possibly a couple of small potions type bottles in the side pocket with odd colored liquids in them?  And a book with an unusual title (no moving pictures, unfortunately, magic in front of Muggles...horrors)!
« Last Edit: Today at 12:38:58 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jmarvellous

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:00:51 PM »
Of course when I hear "not too hot" I think "winter is coming," and ... oops.
But the first thing that comes to mind is Lady Catelyn Stark from Game of Thrones/Song of Ice & Fire--I think as long as you skipped the fur collar it would be easy to make or find one of her simple green dresses with wide sleeves out of thinner fabric.

I also think you could pull off the Mayim Bialik character from "Big Bang Theory," who I think is quite cute, actually. glasses, straightened hair and a mismatched shirt and cardigan and a conservative skirt.

wheeitsme

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:24:38 PM »
Death of the Endless?  She looks however she wants.  Just Black and White.  And they have rinse out black hair dye.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:15:03 AM »
I'm sure you can order a Starfleet officer outfit online. :)

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:40:01 AM »
Dress really fancy and ask where the Starfleet Academy transport is boarding...you're a new recruit on the way for training....be as alien as you wanna dare!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:48:14 AM »
At my first-ever Con last year, my friend and I wanted something manageable to make and comfortable to wander around in, so we decided on civilian-dress superheroes. It worked really well for us--we each had something iconic enough that it was clear who we were supposed to be, but we were comfortable and could make most of our costumes out of regular clothes. No one seemed to have trouble any recognizing our characters. 

I went as Tony Stark the engineer in the middle of working on his suit (rather than a complicated full-on Iron Man). I bought a T-shirt with an LED "arc reactor" inside, like this one to wear with jeans and sneakers, plus one home-made Iron Man gauntlet. The gauntlet was the most complicated part of the costume, and was something I cobbled together out of painted posterboard, hot-glue, and a gardening glove (I also added an LED-light "repulser," but that wasn't really necessary to get the point across  ;)). My friend was Steve Rogers in khakis, a checkered button-down shirt, brown leather jacket, and boots (based on the ending scene in the Avengers), plus a Captain America shield that she purchased. You might be able to do something similar for one of your favorite superheroes.

I also think Kaylee from Firefly would be pretty fun, recognizable, and comfortable. Get some coveralls and add a teddy bear patch to the knee, wear them over a flowery/girly shirt, and put your hair up in two little buns on the top of your head. Maybe a cute paper parasol.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:35:43 AM »
Tom Terrific?  It seems that all you need is a funnel for  your head and a bow tie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PgniqcgdFo
« Last Edit: Today at 01:37:52 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

faithlessone

« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:42:34 AM »
I also think Kaylee from Firefly would be pretty fun, recognizable, and comfortable. Get some coveralls and add a teddy bear patch to the knee, wear them over a flowery/girly shirt, and put your hair up in two little buns on the top of your head. Maybe a cute paper parasol.

Kaylee was going to be my suggestion! Super-easy and very recognisable.

Cherry91

« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:54:27 AM »
Melinda May from Agents of Shield? Leather jacket, Aviator sunglasses, something that could pass for a Nite Nite Gun/ICER and a "bow before me and weep foolish mortals" expression - maybe a SHIELD patch on the shoulder?