Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 569444 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3060 on: Yesterday at 11:10:32 PM »
My DS was propositioned today at the rest area we stopped at. His father was next to him, and DS is 16, but looks 18/19. A woman in her 30's asked him if he had "time for her". He told her no.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3061 on: Today at 01:11:42 AM »
Had a real life one today. Was walking home and saw a group of boys. They asked me if I wanted fifty dollars. (Yes they had a bill with them) Knowing it was most likely counterfeit (who offers money to strangers anyway?!) I kept walking.
I got a "Wouldn't even take fifty dollars" muttered after me.

Nice try scammers.

Somehow, I don't think scamming you was on their minds.

Wasn't my first thought either. Counterfeiters make fake money to get real money, if the bill was a fake they would have asked if you had change in small bills. Then you take the fake money and they now have real money.

Where they underage and not too far from a liquor store?

They were standing in front of a now closed down (i think) Hookah Lounge. And we were in a public place. With lots of stores in that plaza. And if they had tried anything, I could have run into any number of shops screaming and had the police immediately called. Not a smart move on their part. I did suspect what y'all do though (again, who just gives away money) and I walked through the middle of their group (no choice they took up the whole extra large walking space) and they didn't follow me, so who knows.

Hmmm... How to say this delicately? 

Huh, they thought or hoped you were a "lady of the evening".
A "lady of negotiable affection." A "working girl."  100 years ago, a "soiled dove."  200 years ago, an "actress."  In Ankh-Morpork, a "seamstress."  I know there are lots more...

"purveyor of horizontal refreshment"
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3062 on: Today at 01:13:28 AM »
Some sort of auto-translation, I think.  I see them quite frequently as a mod on another board.  English has so many synonyms, with such subtle shades of meaning, that a computer picking the wrong one is more likely than not.  Add in a different language's word order, and a direct translation gives you exactly that kind of mess.

I encounter this with transcribing dictations for doctors who are not native English speakers.  Got one right now who is pretty fluent but has a real problem with singulars and plurals.  He says "are" after every word that ends in an S, whether the word is a real plural or not, which results in "Pancreas are normal."  But that's a whole different story.

That's very common in Afrikaans speakers, since Afrikaans uses the same word to mean "is" and "are" (which leads to a lot of confusion about singulars and plurals in English).

Much like Zulu doesn't differentiate between "he" and "she" in a pronoun (they use a gender neutral pronoun, sort of like "they"), so you frequently get Zulu speakers when talking English accidentally using "she" for a man, or "he" for a woman.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)