Author Topic: In Retrospect, I Should Have Walked When....  (Read 19902 times)

z_squared82

Re: In Retrospect, I Should Have Walked When....
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2014, 10:25:37 PM »
...when he made me cry in public for being unemployed (in 2009) when if I really wanted a job, I could find one; security companies are always hiring, I just needed to apply there. I just wasn't trying hard enough.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: In Retrospect, I Should Have Walked When....
« Reply #121 on: Today at 01:14:19 PM »
A time when I did walk, and I wish that the other person had as well.

The scene: Toronto, 1988. The city is booming, and rental apartments are hard to come by. I have just moved to the city, and am doing the rounds putting my name on waiting lists.

I go in to one large building. There is a young woman about my age in ahead of me. I know what's going on, because of all the screaming.

Apparently, she is a teacher who has just moved to the city. She had been asked to get a signed letter by her employer (principal), so had to drive several hundred kilometers round trip to his cottage to have him sign that she is, indeed, employed by the school board, and is paid $X a year, so she can afford the apartment.

The rental manager is screaming at her at the top of his lungs. "This is not on school board stationery! There's no letterhead! Anyone could have written it? He wasn't at the school, and had no access to school board letterhead? That's no excuse! You could be lying your *** off to me!!" The young woman is in tears, trying to explain that there was just no way she could get such a letter while the schools were closed for the summer.

At this point, I turn and walk out. If they treated you like that before you signed the lease, what would they do afterwards?

I got a nice room in a condo and lived there reasonably content until two years later, when the boom had ended, and it was easy to get an apartment. In fact, driving past that building, I noted that they were advertising a free month's rent if you'd only take a lease, pretty please.

I still didn't put my name in to them.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."