News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 29, 2015, 03:14:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Favorite Childhood Books  (Read 1848 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Favorite Childhood Books
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2015, 09:34:04 PM »
Just remembered the books of Wylly Folk St. John. My favorites were The Ghost Next Door and The Secret of the Seven Crows (first place I heard of the poem).

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »
I never really got into Little House books or the Anne books - I got annoyed by them at the age I was introduced to them, and it didn't help that I was being guided to them by the school librarian, who had a very narrow view of what girls were "supposed" to read - if it wasn't gentle and happier than Pollyanna on a sugar high, then little girls had no business reading those books. I still remember her saying, "Those books are for boys, honey."
That's not uncommon, Violinp.  When I was a child (back in the Stone Age of the 1960's) children's books were even segregated; books for boys on one side of the room, books for girls on the other side, and a very few books in the middle that the old-lady librarian considered suitable for both. (Animal Farm, of all things!) I'd read through all of the girl's books that I considered interesting (didn't like Nancy Drew or the ones where girls wanted to be nurses or ballet dancers, or anything written in first person) and the librarian called my mother, very worried that I kept going into the boy's side and checking out SF.  Mom was supposed to steer me into "more suitable" reading material. Instead Mom told her to let me read anything I wanted to read.  I believe that she had to go into the library and sign something to give me access to the YA and adult fiction.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

sylviatexas

« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2015, 10:10:24 PM »
Although I don't think anyone ever tried to guide me to the girls' books, I did have a stunning blow as an adult when I read a newspaper article about the Black Stallion series, in which the author said, 'Every boy can imagine he's Alec Ramsey.'

every *boy*!

but it didn't bother me for long.

When I was at the pediatrician's office one afternoon when I was about 7, I came across a beautiful shiny book titled something like "Children's Bible Stories".

I read it & really liked it, since it was written in story form, & then I found a card in a pocket in the back of the book;
you could fill out the card & put it back in the pocket & someone would tell you how to get a whole set of these books!

*Of course* I filled out that card!

(Evidently in those long-ago days, the sales rep collected the cards so you didn't have to mail them in.)

One day not too long after that, a nice man in a nice suit came to our house, & by the time he left, we had ordered the entire set of Bible stories (seems like it was about 7 books, like an encyclopedia), a set of Grolier encyclopedias, & the Book of Knowledge, a children's encyclopedia that included poems & stories as well as informational articles.

I would read all those books, all the time, & sometimes my mother would read them to us when we were supposed to be taking our naps.

I still have the Book of Knowledge.

andi

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2015, 10:28:32 PM »
We had The Boom of Knowledge series, no encyclopedia at home

Reading and remembering all theses books has me a bit sad, I want to share theses with Boo, but he has no interest in anything I suggest. He reads all the "diary of a Wimpy Kid" books and "Big Nate" but trying to get him to expand had been hard. I just keep suggesting.

Love the Lemony Snickett books as an adult

I remember "Sweet Valley" we
Hen three were only 4-5 books. When book 10 came out it was a huge deal, we'd been calling all the bookstores for a week ad my mom took us after school when we finally got a "yes" from one very tired bookstore associate.

Oh, and V.C. Andrews. Wow I thight I was sofisticatd!!  Especially with her originally books, the ones she wrote

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2015, 11:18:00 PM »
Kristina Katerina and the Box
Mike Mulligan & his Steam Shovel
Petunia
Whistle for Willie
Harold & the Purple Crayon
Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum
Tawny Scrawny Lion

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (series)
Anne of Green Gables (series)
Trixie Belden (series)
Boxcar Children (series)
Nancy Drew (series)
Ruth Fielding (series)
The Trouble with Tuck
The Witch of Blackbird Pond

My grandparents had floor to ceiling shelves on one wall of their office, the bottom three rows were full of kids books from my grandmother's teen years, the books they'd bought their 7 kids and books the grandkids picked out. I adored them all. Gram had always indicated that when the time came I was to get first dibs on any I wanted. Sadly when she passed (Grandfather passed a few years earlier) my oldest aunt donated the lot of them. It wasn't malicious at all, but 20 years later it still makes me teary. I've managed to replace a shelf's worth of my most favorite via eBay & Friends of the Library sales, but seeing family names scrawled on the cover pages or the spot where 2 year old me scribbled on Big Birds face just can't be replaced. Go figure I work in a library now ;)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2015, 11:52:08 PM »
. My favorite book was and still is To Kill A Mockingbird.

Me too, Sharnita.  I've read it countless times.

The Neverending Story is a fantastic book.  I apologise to lovers of the movie for this, but IMO compared to the book, the film is utter bilge. I read that the author hated the film so much he tried to get his name removed from the credits.

Another one I loved was a book called Magic For Marigold.  The author is Lucy Maud Montgomery, she of Anne of Green Gables fame, and the book takes place in the same setting but it's a different main character from a different family, Marigold Lesley of Cloud of Spruce.  I love it and still have a (very battered) copy.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

scotcat60

« Reply #81 on: Yesterday at 05:20:12 AM »
She's one of my favourite authors too, and has been since childhood. I really disliked the film of The Eagle of the Ninth as well; it's a really good story about friendship and loyalty, why on earth did they need to make so many changes to it?!

Hurrah, someone after my own heart. Unlike the film producer, who calimed if was his favourite book as a boy, so why did he make so many cahnges.

Cabbageweevil- Have you heard the recordings of the  Just William stories made by Martin Jarvis, broadcast by  the  BBC? You can get them on CD.  For US readers - Mr Jarvis's renditions are perfect, and very popular in the UK.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:26:13 AM by scotcat60 »

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #82 on: Yesterday at 06:10:44 AM »
What about Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series.  I think we wore our set out with constant re reading.  My husband cimes from the Lake District and i was disPointed to find he was not at all familar with the books.  I imagine he would be living a similar lifestyle but he didn't.

bridalviolet

« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 08:56:34 AM »
Oh, and another one from the school library, Why Have the Birds Stopped Singing? and The Secret Language ... The Ghost in the Swing ... at the library, I read almost by the shelf at a time.

The Secret Language! Oh, how I loved that book. I've spent most of my adult life tracking down childhood favorites, and that is one of my recent acquisitions. (Yay Alibris and its ilk!) I've also just remembered The Secret of the Ruby Locket by Harriet Evatt. That one took awhile to find, but I've got it now.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 09:23:34 AM »
I read all the Trixie Beldon series, until one day she just got on my nerves as such a goody-two-shoes!

I loved Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright, that book just captured my imagination like nothing else.
Also Fell Farm for Christmas and everything by Enid Blyton, particularly Mr Pinkwhistle.

DistantStar

« Reply #85 on: Yesterday at 08:57:02 PM »
I never really got into Little House books or the Anne books - I got annoyed by them at the age I was introduced to them, and it didn't help that I was being guided to them by the school librarian, who had a very narrow view of what girls were "supposed" to read - if it wasn't gentle and happier than Pollyanna on a sugar high, then little girls had no business reading those books. I still remember her saying, "Those books are for boys, honey."

I loved both, though find the Little House books much more to my taste as an adult.  But the LH books are certainly NOT gentle and happier than Pollyanna on a sugar high!  I reread the whole series a few years ago and they were still wonderful but from an adult perspective, wow, there were some really dark things that either could have or did happen.  Especially since I've moved to a place with actual winter.  Brrrrrr. 

I also loved the All-of-a-Kind-Family books, and the Choose Your Own Adventure series.  I had a Nancy Drew phase.  Not sure why since I'm not a mystery fan these days, but who knows.

And millions of others.  I am a bookworm descended from bookworms who always managed to somehow have money for books. 

I'm so glad I never had anybody out-and-out tell me some books were for boys and some were for girls.  How...well, I'd get in trouble for the language that makes me want to use.