News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 21, 2017, 12:00:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 239394 times)

gmatoy

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #1245 on: December 30, 2016, 09:37:36 PM »
2 and 1/2 yards of black cotton fabric for $1.99. Great stash addition!

Emmy

« Reply #1246 on: January 01, 2017, 07:22:51 PM »
I had my sisters in law in town over the holiday and we had a blast with thrift shopping.  I can't remember everything I got, but I got 3 grocery bags full of clothes for $23 - Chico's, Banana Republic, Silver Jeans, Lucky Brand top, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren, just to name some.  The next day we stopped back there with some of the guys in the family.  I found a beautiful Coldwater Creek blazer for 50 cents.  It wasn't my size, but I picked it up for SIL who wasn't there.  It fit her perfectly and she loved it.

Before Christmas I had a great jeans day - I found DKNY jeans, Not your Daughters Jeans, and Kut from the Kloth for $2.50 each - all in my size and perfect condition.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #1247 on: January 03, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
Found a gently-used pair of Johnston & Murphy loafers for DH last week at our local Goodwill for $4.99. They fit him perfectly. New retail are approx. $100.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #1248 on: January 03, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
A couple of weeks back, the kid and I stopped by the Goodwill and she found a 1960's Swiss Army greatcoat for about $10.  It's nice blue-green-grey wool and just so happens to coordinate beautifully with her Slytherin hat and scarf.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #1249 on: January 03, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »
Yesterday, I found an authentic Coach small satchel in black leather with brass hardware, in great condition and a nice size, with removable shoulder strap, exactly the kind of bag I have been looking for, for 5% of the retail price ($470). I felt quite opulent spending $25 on a bag, but when you think of it like that ...

I've gotten good at spotting fake Coach, and my local thrift store has 3-5 new fakes a week, or else the signature C print bags in terrible, ratty shape (and also usually not to my taste at all). Never authentic and in good condition! So I was quite excited about this find. I will carry it for years.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1250 on: January 16, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »
Yesterday, I found an authentic Coach small satchel in black leather with brass hardware, in great condition and a nice size, with removable shoulder strap, exactly the kind of bag I have been looking for, for 5% of the retail price ($470). I felt quite opulent spending $25 on a bag, but when you think of it like that ...

I've gotten good at spotting fake Coach, and my local thrift store has 3-5 new fakes a week, or else the signature C print bags in terrible, ratty shape (and also usually not to my taste at all). Never authentic and in good condition! So I was quite excited about this find. I will carry it for years.

Is it the heavy, unlined classic leather bag? If so, you got a steal! I have a couple and love them. One I bought on ebay, and just cleaned and conditioned it. I also saw online you can actually wash those, the unlined ones, but I'm too chicken to try.

I also have a gorgeous semi-vintage Coach wallet that I decided to take the leather cleaner too. Wow, what a difference! it was so much softer and smoother when I had finished with it. I have another vintage bag I'm trying to sell, but may take off and try and clean and condition first.

kudeebee

« Reply #1251 on: January 16, 2017, 08:50:51 PM »
Two new button down shirts for dh with tags--$4 and $2; hardly worn jeans for dh for $7; a worn once or twice Gear top for me--$4.  Six Ikea drinking glasses at 3/$1,  Pleased with all!

Always looking for designer purses, but have only found one in all my years for looking!

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #1252 on: January 17, 2017, 07:15:10 AM »
I'd been looking at a coffee machine for 29.99, down from 50, but didn't get it because it had a small water tank although I was so tempted. Then at the weekend I found a Tassimo for 30 (down from 120) on the last day of the offer. It came with two drink packs and a warranty, which was not a bad buy! Our new coffee machine is already being used frequently, (mainly for tea and chocolate).

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #1253 on: January 17, 2017, 08:44:41 AM »

Is it the heavy, unlined classic leather bag? If so, you got a steal! I have a couple and love them. One I bought on ebay, and just cleaned and conditioned it. I also saw online you can actually wash those, the unlined ones, but I'm too chicken to try.

I also have a gorgeous semi-vintage Coach wallet that I decided to take the leather cleaner too. Wow, what a difference! it was so much softer and smoother when I had finished with it. I have another vintage bag I'm trying to sell, but may take off and try and clean and condition first.

I do have one of those that needs cleaning (father-in-law got it for me from a thrift store -- shockingly good deal, second Coach design ever), but this is a Campbell crossbody like the bottom right here: http://gdimg.gmarket.co.kr/goods_image2/middle_jpgimg/407/292/407292863.jpg

This weekend was half off everything at Savers, and I got a Garnet Hill merino wool sweater dress ($150 new), NY & Co. sweater dress, Liz Claiborne blouse ($50), Central Park West blouse ($120), and Zac and Rachel blouse, plus a Calvin Klein leather wallet ($80, replaces the wallet I ran over with my car -- doh!) for $22 total, and J. Crew and Banana Republic dress shirts for my husband for $5 total. I finally feel equipped for winter ... Too bad it's mid-January.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1254 on: January 18, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »
Technically not a thrift score, but Kohls. Shockingly, I have never really had issues with ordering online from them, except once. and that was a delivery issue.

I had a $5 reward that was expiring, and a 30% off coupon, plus free shipping for chargeholders. I need some sweaters to wear to work. Sadly, I tend to stick to the same styles; either open cardigans or vneck or crew neck pullovers alhtough I prefer vneck.

Bought two vneck cable sweaters; one of which I have one today. Its slightly longer, but not quite a tunic length, with a split hem. Exactly the style that flatters me the most. I got that plus another vneck for $14 for both.

And today i just ordered four more of the one I have on, with 30 off and free shipping, $36 for all, when the orig. price was $36 for one.

Emmy

« Reply #1255 on: January 19, 2017, 10:29:02 PM »
Half price clothing day at the thrift store yesterday.  Yay!  I got 21 pieces (including a few to sell to keep up my thrift budget) for $39.  Included was a Christmas dress for DD5 for next year, a Gymboree velvet blazer for DD3 and a Gymboree velvet casual jacket for DD5, a Brooks Brothers cashmere/silk sweater, a Chico's button down shirt, and a Banana republic sweater.

gmatoy

« Reply #1256 on: January 19, 2017, 10:54:53 PM »
Four yards of fabric for $4.00! (Pretty print with roses, 100% cotton, so perfect for the wall hanging that I am going to make for my sister, who happens to have a flower name.  ;) )

vintagegal

« Reply #1257 on: Yesterday at 03:13:25 PM »
2 large, sterling serving spoons, 10 cents each!! Still researching the marks, but one is pre-1850. Of course they were very tarnished but cleaned up nicely.