Author Topic: What's the Most Interesting Item You Ever Found in Your Easter Basket?  (Read 1205 times)

Coley

Re: What's the Most Interesting Item You Ever Found in Your Easter Basket?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 04:50:41 PM »
I got a record album by the Captain and Tenille one year and by Glen Campbell another year. I also got a 45 record by Olivia Newton-John another year.

This year, DS (13) is getting Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" and Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in his basket along with the requisite chocolate and jelly beans.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
The strangest thing I ever received in an Easter Basket was the basket itself. 

The basket contained the usual jelly beans, chocolate bunny and fluffy, little chicks pulling a wagon with a panorama egg in it. The amazing thing was that the entire basket was made of chocolate. The basket was the old-fashioned sort with a high handle and narrow bottom.   The basket was woven with both dark and milk chocolate.  It must have weighed about four pounds and the chocolate was top quality.  We were eating it and using it in baking until almost Halloween. 

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 07:24:18 PM »
That basket sounds amazing.  What a surprise that would be to find!  My baskets mostly contained candy, eggs, and usually one plush animal. Nothing fancy.  I can't think of one unusual item from my youth!   

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 07:32:18 PM »
A green baby chick.

Which, strangely enough, grew into a RED hen. (My first chicken. Her name was Sarah and she laid me an egg every weekday for years, then randomly started laying a different color egg every other day instead.)

My mom saw a display of colored chicks and thought "How Cute!" so she got me one. She admitted once she never thought that through, because if Sarah had died, i would've been a heartbroken 6 year old, and since she lived we had to build her a little yard of her own to protect her from strays. Plus as an adult I'm ethically against chicks, bunnies and ducklings as Easter gifts to small kids.

The Wild One, Forever

We have never treated Easter as an actual gift-giving occasion, either in my family of origin nor when I got married and had my own child.  We only ever do candy, but I got exactly what I wanted one year.

When I was ten or so, I fell in love with white chocolate, and decided that was my absolute favorite.  My mom had five, about to be six, kids at that time, but she remembered, and that year, almost everything in my basket was white chocolate.  Best basket ever!  I can't stand the stuff now, but I loved it then, and was delighted with the white chocolate bunnies, eggs, etc. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

AngelicGamer

I got a basket full of books, chocolate, and a video game one year.  ;D  I knew the books were coming because grandma and I went shopping at the Crown Books we could walk to and she told me to pick out four books.  Which then disappeared until Easter and then had green grass in them for a bit.  The video game was in the basket at my dad's.

This year is about the same, save for no green grass, and all LotR books.  Plus Lego Lord of the Rings because reasons (to not shop at Half Price Books or spend all of the money).  ;)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
When I was a child Easter wasn't an occasion for gifts.  A small child might receive a stuffed toy or an Easter-themed book but that was about it. 

The chocolate basket wasn't the only odd Easter gift we received.  Another Easter, the family received a simple box of chocolates.  It was the usual thing with creams and nougats in little paper cups.  The odd thing was that the box was made of chocolate.  Again, we feasted until almost Halloween. 

There was a confectioner in our little town who made these amazing things.  His trademark was a regulation-sized solid chocolate baseball.  This was a stroke of genius because people who didn't celebrate Easter had no qualms about buying a chocolate baseball. 

HGolightly

I always got a spring related toy (despite snow on the ground almost every year) bubbles, roller skates or a skipping rope. This morning dd got to do her first hunt now that she is a Big Girl. This Bunny always brings a book and snuck it onto her bedside table. We were happy as it is a new Elephant and Piggee book to give us a break from the two read every day since Christmas.

MommyPenguin, I love books and love your creativity, I have jotted down all of your Easter ideas and books! Thank you!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
I always got a spring related toy (despite snow on the ground almost every year) bubbles, roller skates or a skipping rope. This morning dd got to do her first hunt now that she is a Big Girl. This Bunny always brings a book and snuck it onto her bedside table. We were happy as it is a new Elephant and Piggee book to give us a break from the two read every day since Christmas.

MommyPenguin, I love books and love your creativity, I have jotted down all of your Easter ideas and books! Thank you!

Enjoy!  Let me know if you need any specific titles.  :)

The girls enjoyed their art books.  My oldest was entertained by hers the entire drive home.  She asked me, "Mommy, is this for school, or can I do it whenever I want?"  It was such a delight to tell her to go at it.  :)

I also found these chocolate eggs at BJ's that had marshmallow peeps inside them!  I thought that was really cute, so I got one for each of the girls (minus the toddler), and three for my husband.  :)

My mom had little presents for my husband and I, too.  I got Despicable Me 2!  I've been longing to see it.  :)  Maybe next Christmas I'll get Frozen, and then I'll be caught up on all the movies that everybody else seems to have seen already.  :P