News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 29, 2015, 07:52:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Little House books S/O thread  (Read 18636 times)

parrot_girl

Re: Little House books S/O thread
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
I've had Pioneer Girl preordered since August and still haven't gotten a copy. I'm going to devour it when it gets here...

DH had to cancel his preorder through Amazon because they kept pushing back the release date, but when he ordered it through the Pioneer Girl website, it came right away (within 2 weeks).
I've ordered four copies (me, BFF, two sisters) but had no option but through Amazon. Still waiting... argh, hurry up! hurry up!

JEsMom

« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2014, 08:49:39 PM »
I've had Pioneer Girl preordered since August and still haven't gotten a copy. I'm going to devour it when it gets here...

Me too.

Here is another great, well researched Wilder book that I bought years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Laura-The-Life-Ingalls-Wilder/dp/0380016362

I own and adore that Zochert book, but the cover art never fails to crack me up!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2014, 10:17:54 PM »

Me too.

Here is another great, well researched Wilder book that I bought years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Laura-The-Life-Ingalls-Wilder/dp/0380016362

I own and adore that Zochert book, but the cover art never fails to crack me up!

Especially the back cover!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »
Y'all make me jealous, I have an old, ex-libris hardcover copy of that book.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

GratefulMaria

« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2015, 01:26:37 PM »
Re Pioneer Girl:  I just got an email from the public library that the copy I put on hold a couple of months ago is available for me to pick up.  It took my hold request when it was still on order, so I hope this means others are shipping for people.

It's a 28-day loan, renewals allowed only if nobody else is on a hold list, and someone else probably is, so I may have to break down and buy a copy if I don't finish it.  The last library book I had trouble finishing on time was Robert Caro's The Power Broker.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2015, 01:58:51 PM »
I was thrilled when I saw a new post here!

I put PG on hold at my library shortly after Christmas. I finally got it last week. I checked my on-line account at the library often just to check the status (and inwardly fumed when I was number 3 on the list and one checked out copy was overdue), and the second it showed as available, I was at the library before they even sent me an email saying the book was ready.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

GratefulMaria

« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2015, 02:09:44 PM »
I was thrilled when I saw a new post here!

I put PG on hold at my library shortly after Christmas. I finally got it last week. I checked my on-line account at the library often just to check the status (and inwardly fumed when I was number 3 on the list and one checked out copy was overdue), and the second it showed as available, I was at the library before they even sent me an email saying the book was ready.

Ouch!  I know things happen, but if there's a waiting list and I'm not done with the book, it goes back.  Tear-stained, perhaps, but on to the next person.  :-)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
This post contains Spoilers.

I got mine last week too. The footnotes are very interesting and I love comparing the differences between the real story and the children's books. She sure gave Nellie and even Willie a bigger part in fiction than they had in real life. She was correct in eliminating the family who stayed with them when writing The Long Winter; the husband was a piece of work (I can imagine him being a recurring character on Ehell if the internet existed back then.)

eta: Speaking of etiquette, it made me so mad when Reverend Brown came to dinner and took the lion's share of this poor family's baked beans and all the meat in the dish with his comment "There's not much so I may as well take it." :o >:(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:19:17 PM by rose red »

cattlekid

« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2015, 06:05:29 PM »
Count me in as someone else who finally got her copy of Pioneer Girl earlier this week.  My dad ordered copies for my sister and I as Christmas gifts from Amazon. 

Redsoil

« Reply #159 on: Today at 12:57:57 AM »
Waiting for the Kindle version.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

JadeGirl

« Reply #160 on: Today at 04:28:02 AM »
I pre-ordered through Book Depository and they cancelled my order and refunded the money  :(

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #161 on: Today at 09:39:56 AM »

I don't know about this since the book is published by a small company. Though I have no clue what's involved in making an e-book, so what do I know? :P It is the size of a coffee table book (quite hefty!) with more footnotes than actual text.

jmarvellous

« Reply #162 on: Today at 12:13:38 PM »

I don't know about this since the book is published by a small company. Though I have no clue what's involved in making an e-book, so what do I know? :P It is the size of a coffee table book (quite hefty!) with more footnotes than actual text.

I used to do freelance editing for a major ebook company. They made ebooks for a huge range of publishers of print books, from very small presses to household names, plus e-only and self-published works, all with a staff of around 10 people. It's definitely not outside the realm of possibility, and it's not crazy expensive for a small press to contract out just one title to an ebook developer.