Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1057993 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9855 on: Yesterday at 03:43:30 PM »
Guacamole question . . . when it starts turning brown/black, does that really mean it's gone bad, inedible?

I'm under the impression that it's an air-interaction thing (like sliced apples) that causes it to change colors if left out for a few hours, but it's still edible, right? I mean it might not look as pretty, but it's not poisonous is it?

Even leaving the guac in the fridge for a couple of days, if not stored properly it will quickly turn colors . . . I've learned to press seran-wrap over the top of the guac so that there is no air between the guac and the top of a tupperware-type lid and it keeps it's color for days.

Guac is all veggies, no mayo or eggs or anything else that is dangerous if left unrefrigerated . . .

So is eating Guacamole that has been left out for several hours and has started to change colors a bad thing to do?

It turns brown due to oxygen exposure. You can squeeze lemon juice in it and give it a stir to return it to its normal green color.

The refrigeration issue I have no idea on, but I'd personally wouldn't leave it out at room temperature.

When my DH makes his fabulous guac, he always includes some squeezed lime, which helps with the browning issue and tastes good to boot. Also, for storage, don't just stretch plastic wrap across the top of the bowl, push it down so it's in direct contact with the surface of the guac itself - that will also help prevent browning. As a PP stated, you want to minimize air contact.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9856 on: Yesterday at 05:55:21 PM »
RE: Guacamole

Thanks for all the tips! ;D

I store mine by pressing seran wrap down on top of the dip and it stores well for several days. The guac is made with lime juice and red onion (mentioned in the video) so I bet that helps, too. I never heard of using the pit, though.

My real question was "when it starts turning brown/black, does that really mean it's gone bad, inedible?" ;)

Mental Magpie -- that was an interesting video. At the very beginning the guy says "It's usually still perfectly edible. However it might not be something that you want to serve to company."

So I guess you could still eat it, stir it up, but it isn't very appetizing looking.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9857 on: Yesterday at 05:59:51 PM »

I store mine by pressing seran wrap down on top of the dip and it stores well for several days. The guac is made with lime juice and red onion (mentioned in the video) so I bet that helps, too. I never heard of using the pit, though.

My real question was "when it starts turning brown/black, does that really mean it's gone bad, inedible?" ;)

Mental Magpie -- that was an interesting video. At the very beginning the guy says "It's usually still perfectly edible. However it might not be something that you want to serve to company."

So I guess you could still eat it, stir it up, but it isn't very appetizing looking.

That's why I included that specific video :)  I just watched it the other day (and have eaten brown guac myself, but I've been known to be pretty ballsy when it comes to food expiration date). 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9858 on: Today at 10:12:12 AM »

No. It's oxidized, which means it is discolored, but it isn't bad. We make fresh guacamole when we want it and put ripe avocados in the refrigerator to slow the ripening process.