News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 08, 2016, 08:57:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Scariest Sounds I Know (as an adult)  (Read 3170 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: The Scariest Sounds I Know (as an adult)
« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 07:18:01 PM »
Our friends home just burned to the ground. I was not there, but the sound of electrical wiring popping and cracking in the walls is terrifying.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 07:37:10 PM »
And I experimented by turning the power back on to the dishwasher...it is working again.  Apparently the water from the "leak" evaporated or something and the sensor reset.

I love the sound of a running dishwasher before leaving on a trip.  No dirty dishes in the kitchen!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

crella

« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 08:04:49 PM »
When I lived in So. Cal.  a few years ago I remember hearing the earthquakes coming closer and closer and louder and louder.  The groaning and growling.  What sounds like something monstrous being ripped apart.  Only once though, did we run out of the front door and into the middle of the street.  I looked around and we were the only family out there.

That's really scary, and very interesting.  I wonder if you are able to hear sounds that are lower in frequency than many other people can hear.

I read an article once about infrasonic sounds - those sounds below the human level of hearing.  It stated that animals might hear these sounds, like the prevailing westerlies, and know when it is time to migrate.  I also suspect that the animals who ran for the hills in 2004 in SE Asia heard either the earthquake, or heard the tsunami coming.

There's a low sound that you can 'hear' before a tremor starts, if there isn't a lot of other noise around you. Like a low hum...it's almost an absence of sound, an unnatural quiet before the quake sound starts. After the '95 quake when we were having aftershocks all the time, I would recognize it and yell 'Incoming!'. Kept DH from cutting himself shaving a couple times.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #63 on: Today at 08:07:35 AM »
That's interesting.  I would probably be able to pick it up.  I seem to have a very wide range of sounds I can hear because I hear the high pitches, too.

We have a dog that growls.  I've 'bah'ed him to stop numerous times and everybody else in the room was wondering why I was 'bah'ing him.

(Bah:  The word used in the Barkbusters training methods.  It simulates the sound a mama dog would make to her pups when they weren't doing what they were supposed to do.  It is very effective - we now have 4 dogs that were relegated to a pen in the garage in the house with us with minimal issues.  Still a work in progress but much, much better than it was.)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Twik

« Reply #64 on: Today at 08:54:34 AM »
When driving - a car horn, full on, coming towards you.

Which is why I think radio ads with car horns should be banned. They scare the liver out of me when I'm driving. I think I'm about to die.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."