Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 56932 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #570 on: September 26, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »
No. People in the food industry enjoy eating out at different companies as much as anyone else.

Perhaps even more so.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #571 on: September 26, 2014, 02:38:04 PM »
No. People in the food industry enjoy eating out at different companies as much as anyone else.

Perhaps even more so.

I know if I owned, say, a pizza place, after a while I'd be thankful for something that isn't pizza that I wouldn't have to pay for.[1]

[1] Yes, I know the food isn't free to the owners... but it's not direst out-of-pocket money.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #572 on: September 26, 2014, 02:55:59 PM »

Perhaps even more so.

This. There's a little sub place in the mall I love to go, because it's far enough away that I don't have to smell the popcorn. My co - workers love the Chinese place just next to the sub place.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

audhs

« Reply #573 on: Yesterday at 10:56:23 PM »
I don't know if anyone's reading this thread anymore but I was wondering something.  ;D

I was reading a bio of someone recently and it stated that this woman had been orphaned at the age of 23.  I always thought to be an orphan you needed to be a child, I've never heard anyone refer to an adult as being an orphan.

Thoughts? I realize it's probably technically correct but it just seemed odd.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #574 on: Yesterday at 11:01:24 PM »
I don't know if anyone's reading this thread anymore but I was wondering something.  ;D

I was reading a bio of someone recently and it stated that this woman had been orphaned at the age of 23.  I always thought to be an orphan you needed to be a child, I've never heard anyone refer to an adult as being an orphan.

Thoughts? I realize it's probably technically correct but it just seemed odd.

I think of orphans as being children under 18 or maybe 21 who haven't yet left their parents to be on their own, but especially very young children.  I think it was probably just a clumsy way of saying her parents died (or the last one died) when she was 23, so 'young' but not a child.

The only time I can think of when one might refer to an older adult as being orphaned would be if the child has a mental or extreme physical disability that makes him/her dependent on parental care indefinitely.

mime

I've really only heard the term used when someone is still a minor. I have trouble imagining that label on a 23 year old, even if he/she was, say, a college student living at home.

Maybe, as grandma dishes said: if she wasn't able to live independently and there was a need to find ongoing care or protection for an adult child after the death of the parents, then I could understand the "orphaned" claim.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I have a friend who is 'adopting' a special needs person in their 20's, so the friend can help care for the person and make decisions regarding their care.

audhs

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't think it sounded quite right. ;)