A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Special Snowflake Stories

(1/5836) > >>

missmolly:
Here's my encounter with a Special Snowflake:

My mother and I were in line at the supermarket a few years ago. I think I would have been about fifteen. We were loading things onto the conveyor belt when my mother was 'tapped' on the shoulder, (she later told me that she had been poked, hard). She turns to this woman who has a full trolley and a baby in the child seat. Rather than bother with polite requests Madame Special Snowflake says to my mother: 'I have a child'
Mum, bless her, points to me and says: 'Me too! Aren't they great'. The woman made rather loud sighs as our transaction was completed, but thankfully, she didn't try to pull the baby card on anyone else.

So, fellow e-hellions, how have you dealt with those who think they're just a little bit more important than the common folk, for whatever reason.

Namárië:
Hehe, I like your response!

SisJackson:
It's been more than a few years, but I went to opening night of [Huge Blockbuster Movie] with a friend and in order to get good seats, we arrived at the theater an hour and a half in advance.  We were the first patrons in line and when they opened the door and we went in, we found that there was a pair of seats right in the middle of the theater that were missing entirely.  Score!  We sat down behind the empty space, knowing that we would not be subjected to the tallest person in the crowd sitting right in front of me (why does that always happen?) and we would have a spectacular view of the screen.  Needless to say the two of us exchanged a high-five at our good fortune and advance planning.

As the theater filled, many people congratulated us on our stellar seats.  A few asked how we'd gotten so fortunate, and then nodded in understanding when we said we'd gotten there ridiculously early.

Eventually, it was down to about ten minutes before the previews were set to begin, and there were only four seats left in our row; two at each end.  That was when the Special Snowflakes Double Date Couples arrived.

"Excuse me!  Excuse me!"  one of the guys called down the row.  "Would all of you folks please move down into the empty seats?  Thanks!"  A couple of the people beyond us began to shuffle down to the seats to the end.  My friend and I looked at each other and decided that no, we would not be moving.

When the seats to our right opened up, we turned to the people to our left and said, "If you guys want to move into these empty seats, we'll let you past us, but we're not going to give up these seats."  The couple decided that they didn't want to move either.  The pair next to them apparently considered moving into the empty seats by us, but before they could do so, the people that had all just moved right moved back to their previous places, again making it so that the only empty seats in the row were the pair on the far right and the pair on the far left.

The Snowflake Spokesman started up again.  "ExCUSE me, people, but we need FOUR seats together.  You all are going to have to move!"

Someone said, pointing to us, "They said they weren't going to move, and if they aren't going to move then neither are we."  The Snowflakes' attention was then riveted on us.

"You won't move?" said the guy.

"No, we're not moving," my friend said coolly.  "We got here almost two hours ago, and we hand-picked these seats.  We're staying in them.  Would you give these seats up?"  He gestured at the completely empty space in front of us.

"So you're not moving," he said.

"No, we're staying here," my friend reiterated.

"We'll see about that," the guy said, and the two guys marched out of the theater, leaving their dates to hover in the aisle.  The gentlemen returned momentarily, a theater employee in tow.  "You need to help us get four seats together," the guy said to the employee.

The theater employee called down the row and asked if everyone was willing to move down two seats.  My friend piped up again.  "No, we are not going to move, but we will let people go past us if they want to."

Another person in the row spoke up.  "Do we have to move?  Or is it optional?"

"Well, you don't have to," said the usher.

The other patron continued.  "Well, I don't think any of us should have to move.  We all got here really early to make sure we got good seats.  I don't think any of us should be punished because other people can't be bothered to plan."  At that, there was a smattering of applause from nearby people.

There was a hushed conference between the four double-daters and the theater employee, after which all five left the theater.  We learned from the people nearest the end of the row that they'd been offered a refund of their ticket price.

purplemuse:
I was working in a college bookstore for the past month, and one customer really took the cake.

BG:  this was a teeny-tiny bookstore that was kind of an offshoot of the larger store on another campus.  Occasionally, we would run out of certain books, and need to have more shipped from the other campus.  Also, the school also has a lot of students who are scheduling classes around their jobs.

One woman came in, and it turned out that a couple of the books she needed were out of stock.  So the woman asked if the bookstore would ship them to her house.  Fair enough, you never know, some places might do that.

Well, this bookstore didn't.  I don't think they ever do that sort of thing, but especially not in this case because of security issues with the way she was paying.

That wasn't good enough for this woman.  She went off on the manager about how she had to work, and how ridiculous it was that she'd have to come all the way back to the bookstore to pick up her books.

She even reported the manager to the store's higher-ups over this  ::)

In the end, the books came in from the other campus the very next day, and the woman managed to make it in to pick them up.

Firecat:

--- Quote from: SisJackson on February 03, 2009, 03:41:01 AM ---The theater employee called down the row and asked if everyone was willing to move down two seats.  My friend piped up again.  "No, we are not going to move, but we will let people go past us if they want to."

Another person in the row spoke up.  "Do we have to move?  Or is it optional?"

"Well, you don't have to," said the usher.

The other patron continued.  "Well, I don't think any of us should have to move.  We all got here really early to make sure we got good seats.  I don't think any of us should be punished because other people can't be bothered to plan."  At that, there was a smattering of applause from nearby people.

There was a hushed conference between the four double-daters and the theater employee, after which all five left the theater.  We learned from the people nearest the end of the row that they'd been offered a refund of their ticket price.

--- End quote ---

I love this! I really, really hate it when the theater employees stand in the theater and start yelling at everyone to "move in." I understand that this means that the showing is likely sold out. And I know that it's annoying to have to get past people. But I don't think that I should have to move out of the seat I got there early to be able to pick out, just for the convenience of those who chose to get there later, and who should have been well aware that the movie in question is very popular (recent examples would be Iron Man and The Dark Knight). DH and I get there early so that we can get seats we want, and so that we can sit together.

It wasn't wrong for them to ask people to move, but it was definitely wrong for them to demand it. And, I think, definitely wrong for them to try to get the theater employee to "force" you to move. I understand why the theater offered the refund (honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to deal with the Special Snowflakes any longer than I had to, either), but I don't think they should have had to. I don't think there's any guarantee that you'll be able to find exactly the seats you want...especially not ten minutes before the showing of a popular movie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version