Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5415023 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #11745 on: October 02, 2011, 11:55:15 PM »
When I got my licence renewed they had me do the test without my glasses - and didn't want to put corrective lens on the licence because I passed their test. I know I need them to see things like addresses and street signs - so I insisted on them putting corrective lenses on. I was afraid if I got stopped with my glasses on it would cause more trouble.

This whole "take your eye test without your lenses" nonsense is completely new to me.  What on Earth?  Wouldn't they want to make sure that your prescription is correct and you're driving safely?  And what about those of us who wear contact lenses?  I'm not about to peel my eyeball covers out in the middle of the DMV.  Ewww.

I've worked at the DMV now for 13 years, and I know that at one time, we were told to make the customer take off their glasses before taking the eye test, even if the customer insisted that they needed them.  That procedure was abolished about the same time I started, however.

We do prefer to take the photo without the glasses because then there is no glare on the glasses.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

HoneyBee42

« Reply #11746 on: October 03, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »
When I got my licence renewed they had me do the test without my glasses - and didn't want to put corrective lens on the licence because I passed their test. I know I need them to see things like addresses and street signs - so I insisted on them putting corrective lenses on. I was afraid if I got stopped with my glasses on it would cause more trouble.

This whole "take your eye test without your lenses" nonsense is completely new to me.  What on Earth?  Wouldn't they want to make sure that your prescription is correct and you're driving safely?  And what about those of us who wear contact lenses?  I'm not about to peel my eyeball covers out in the middle of the DMV.  Ewww.

I've worked at the DMV now for 13 years, and I know that at one time, we were told to make the customer take off their glasses before taking the eye test, even if the customer insisted that they needed them.  That procedure was abolished about the same time I started, however.

We do prefer to take the photo without the glasses because then there is no glare on the glasses.
Yeah--if you ask me to take off my glasses at the DMV to do the vision test, the glasses stay in my hand (I'm paranoid about losing them .. at home they have a precise location where they go when I sleep and when I shower, otherwise they are always on) and if it's one of those paper charts on the wall, it's going to be "eye chart?  Um, which way?" or the machine that has a lit up chart inside "um, the light's on".  When I got my most recent driver's license (moved states), at the vision check, they just said that if I took the vision test with glasses on that they would have to mark the corrective lenses restriction, which is hardly a problem for me (every license I've ever had was with that restriction as I got my first glasses when I was in 2nd grade and even then wouldn't have passed a vision test uncorrected).  I don't think it's SS to not want to take your eyes off in public.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11747 on: October 03, 2011, 08:22:34 AM »
Can we take the DMV and how blind am I discussion to a different thread? Thanks  :)
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

JadeAngel

« Reply #11748 on: October 03, 2011, 08:43:35 AM »
Came across a Special Snowflake in the supermarket today. She had parked her pram in the fruit and vegetable section and was chatting away on her phone while her precious little Snowflake was occupying herself by tossing all of her mothers purchases onto the floor. And not just dropping packets, little SS was upending bags of produce onto the floor, first a punnet of strawberries spilled across the floor, followed by a punnet of cherry tomatoes and then a bag of mushrooms and a few handfuls of mixed lettuce.

When SSMommy turned, still on the phone and saw the mess her little pwecious was making on the floor... did she A. rush to pick things up? B. Take the groceries from little SS's pudgy little hands and tell her not to do that or C. Take the pram and walk away?

Obviously if you guessed C. you would be right... the aisle looked like a tossed salad as SS whisked around the corner and out of sight, still chatting away in rapid french.

Midge

« Reply #11749 on: October 03, 2011, 09:38:48 AM »
Speaking of eye tests, no one was a Special Snowflake here, but I thought it was kind of funny. When I got my first driver's license, they had me do the eye test, of course. Now I have terrible eyesight. I can see pretty well with my glasses, but without them I will literally walk into walls.

DMV Guy: Okay, I'm going to test your eyesight, please take your glasses off.
Me: I really can't see without my glasses.
DMV Guy: Well, you have to take them off for this.
Me: Okay then. ::take off glasses::
DMV Guy: Okay, look over on that wall. Can you tell me where the tree is?
Me: What tree?
DMV Guy: On the chart.
Me: What chart?
DMV Guy: You can't see the chart?
Me: I can barely see the wall.
DMV Guy: Okay...I'm gonna put "requires corrective lenses" on your license.
Me: Good plan.

Same thing happened to me when I went to renew my license a few years ago.
DMV Lady: Are you wearing contacts right now?
Me: Yes.
DMV Lady: You'll need to take them out for the test.
Me: Why?
DMV Lady: In case you ever drive without contacts or glasses.
Me: If I didn't have my contacts in or my glasses on, I couldn't find the car. Much less the door. Much less the lock. Much less the ignition.
DMV Lady: That bad, huh? Okay, you can leave them in.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11750 on: October 03, 2011, 09:45:01 AM »
Speaking of eye tests, no one was a Special Snowflake here, but I thought it was kind of funny. When I got my first driver's license, they had me do the eye test, of course. Now I have terrible eyesight. I can see pretty well with my glasses, but without them I will literally walk into walls.

DMV Guy: Okay, I'm going to test your eyesight, please take your glasses off.
Me: I really can't see without my glasses.
DMV Guy: Well, you have to take them off for this.
Me: Okay then. ::take off glasses::
DMV Guy: Okay, look over on that wall. Can you tell me where the tree is?
Me: What tree?
DMV Guy: On the chart.
Me: What chart?
DMV Guy: You can't see the chart?
Me: I can barely see the wall.
DMV Guy: Okay...I'm gonna put "requires corrective lenses" on your license.
Me: Good plan.

Shea, that reminds me of the time I got a new doctor, and he decided at my first physical that he'd do the eye chart thing, despite me telling him that my eyes were very bad, and he really should check with my optometrist if he wanted the reading.

Dr.: So, what is the letter on the first line?

Me: E...

Dr.: And the second line?

Me: ...Mind you, I only know it's an E because it's ALWAYS an E. Not because I can actually see it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Redsoil

« Reply #11751 on: October 03, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »
Would it be possible to move on to various SS topics, rather than keep discussing eyesight etc.  I know it has been mentioned, but is being ignored.  My thanks (along with others, I'm sure).  I imagine a spin-off thread could be utilised if the topic is absorbing to others.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Daffodil

« Reply #11752 on: October 03, 2011, 09:53:35 AM »
Still recovering from my daughter's birthday party, where I met Special Snowflakus Eternal Guestus.  We went to an indoor play area/arcade complex and rented one of the party areas.  The complex is always crowded because it's a really nice facility. There is a constant rotation of parties cycling through. When your child is invited to a party, they are allowed in the party area for as long as the area is reserved, but they can stay in the play area/arcade after the party is over.

The party went as well as could be expected. The only problem we had was with kids from other parties wandering into our area and trying to eat/be included in our activities. In general, the kids had just wandered into the wrong place and didn't realize it. If I didn't recognize a kid, all I had to do was inform the facility's party hostess and she found a polite way to re-direct them elsewhere.  But this one little girl  WOULD NOT GO AWAY. 

She was around my daughter's age (7) so at first, I thought it was just someone from DD's class that I didn't know.  But then, DD asked me why "that girl I don't know" was trying to open her presents!  The party hostess sent her away, but she came back two more times. The hostess asked where the girl's mom was, she pointed all the way across the huge complex to the cafe area.  The hostess took her to mom and I saw her talking to mom at length.  I assumed that was the end of it.

But we all know that wasn't the case.

Part of the "agenda" was that the hostess put clues all over the facility for a treasure hunt, the "treasure" being the kids' goodie bags. It was a lot of fun and the kids really enjoyed it. But when they finally tracked down the treasure, I saw this same little girl swoop and push other kids away so she could grab a bag.  The hostess said, "Sweetie, I've already told you, this isn't your party.  Your friend's party was over a while ago. This is another girl's party.  You need to go back to your mom now."

"No!" the girl shouted.  "My mom told me I could have a goodie bag from THIS party!"

A nicer woman probably have just given her a bag, but I was tired of dealing with this kid. I stepped in and told her quietly that my daughter didn't know her, so it would be best if she left.  She burst into tears and did the tantrum stomp back to her mom.  Her mom gave me the stink-eye, but she didn't come back. The hostess told me that this girl had attended a friend's party hours before, and had been hanging around ever since, poaching from other kids' parties with her mother's encouragement.

Later, my sister told me that this same little girl had followed her around the arcade area, repeatedly asking for tokens.  And when sis put tokens into the games for my toddler niece, this girl would try to edge my niece out of the way so she could play instead. Sis finally used her teacher voice to tell her to "LEAVE NOW." (For the record, Sis tried to redirect her politely several times.)

Next time, it's pinatas and hot dogs in the backyard.

I think we have a winner.

This is one of worst stories I have heard in a while. Encouraging her kid to intrude on other kids parties ? Wow.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11753 on: October 03, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »
I think it's really unfortunate that the staff at the complex didn't take steps with management to have the mom and daughter removed after their party was over once the little girl started mooching off the other parties.

faithlessone

« Reply #11754 on: October 03, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »
Pair of total Supermarket Special Snowflakes when I went shopping this morning!

The main thing on my list was milk. I could not leave the shop without milk, because I can't stand tea without milk, and there are no other shops for a couple of miles around my house. So I went to the chilled aisle, and over to the milk section.

There were two women, one with a toddler sitting quietly, standing with their trolleys end to end in front of the milk section, having a very loud, gossippy sort of conversation. They were visibly older than me (important later), but not by much. I'd say maybe early 30s at a push? I said "excuse me!" in a polite, cheerful voice. "Just want to grab some milk." The following action ensued:

Woman1: *ignores me* *blah blah blah*
Me: If I could just grab that pint? *reaches over trolley*
Woman1: *yells* What do you think you're doing? Get away!
Me: Sorry, I just wanted to get some milk. Could you move back a bit so I can reach?
Woman1: *to Woman2, while moving her trolley so it hit me in the stomach* G-o-d, some people! Can't she see we're having a conversation here?
Woman2: You should just wait till we're done! F*****g hell!
Me: If you'd just pass me that pint, please, *points* I would go away.
Woman1: B****y young people. No patience.
Me: I'm sorry, I'm just in a bit of a hurry.
Woman2: *to Woman1* Just f*****g give her the milk. She's obviously a spoilt little b***h.

The first woman gave me the milk and I hightailed it out of there. Goodness, some people have just no regard for acceptable manners in public situations!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11755 on: October 03, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »
Goodness, some people have just no regard for acceptable manners in public situations!

And they think it was you.   ::)

Sorry you had to start your day that way, faithlessone.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11756 on: October 03, 2011, 10:00:53 AM »
Goodness, some people have just no regard for acceptable manners in public situations!

That's actually quite hilarious, in a sad sort of way.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

faithlessone

« Reply #11757 on: October 03, 2011, 10:31:23 AM »

Sorry you had to start your day that way, faithlessone.

That's all right - actually made me laugh on the way home. :)

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #11758 on: October 03, 2011, 12:03:36 PM »
I have a couple.  I was going to post the first one a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't because no one actually got (visibly) upset and I thought it was a one-off.  Eh, not so much.

My ODD's school has a bus stop right in front.  Quite a few parents ride the bus with their kids and get off at the school stop.  A couple of weeks ago, a couple of parents/kids got off and the people waiting got on.  As I got on, I noticed that a passenger had put her bag on the seat next to her, which was pretty rude, as it was standing room only.  I was herded toward the back so it didn't really affect me directly.  Then I noticed one of the moms get back on the bus and take her seat.  It was the one with the bag.  So she left her bag on the seat while she got off to give her kid a hug and got back on, reclaiming her seat.  I thought this was slightly SS behavior because the bus in our area is largely a "move your feet, lose your seat" sort of culture.

Well this morning, I feel she fully went into SS mode.  The seat she was saving is the first one on that side and right next to her seat is a shelf where people can put their heavy bags.  A new passenger told the woman sitting next to the bag that she was going to move the bag to the shelf, did so and sat down.  The woman in the seat next to the disembarked parent said something like "Oh, that belongs to someone else."  (Which really didn't clear things up.)  Mrs. SS got back on and had a full on hissy because someone stole her seat.  As far as I could tell, the new lady gave the seat back to the parent.  I had been shuffled toward the back of the bus at this point.

I dunno.  As I'm typing this out, I'm feeling all judgmental but I can't imagine thinking it's cool for me to save my seat on a SRO bus while I got off and kissed my kid good bye.  He's an older kid and since she doesn't take him to the morning meeting place, I don't get why she just can't do that without getting off the bus.  What say you?

2nd story:  Our park had a pumpkin patch over the weekend.  It's great fun, there is a carriage ride, games, the patch, a petting zoo and other activities.  Unfortunately, it's not free.  There's a nominal fee for each activity.  People get tickets and then each activity costs a certain amount of tickets. 

We paid our money and went to the patch.  Right outside the patch, there were some hay bales, a scarecrow and a couple of pumpkins artfully arranged for a photo op area.  We got our pumpkins and waited our turn for picture taking.  As we were waiting, my MIL happened to see a family walk up to the photo op area, grab one of the pumpkins and walk off.  So they basically decided they didn't need to pay the dollar it cost to get a pumpkin.  MIL did mention it to the people taking the tickets but they didn't see it and aren't going to chase someone down for a dollar.  It was just irritating, as the proceeds supported this particular field house. 

Oh, then there was the mom and boy in front of us at the face painting area.  My girls were waiting their turn when the mom and boy were joined by the boy's sisters, who jumped in line in front of us. 

But that's just as much my fault as I was just too chicken to say something.  (The mom already had this "attitude" about her and I'm sure if I called her on it, she wasn't going to say, "Oh, goodness, you're right!  We totally jumped in front of you.  Please, take our places and accept our sincerest apologies!"  Sometimes I think it's better to avoid something if I think it's going to get ugly.  The girls were having a good time and I didn't want to wreck it.   :-\)

Belle

« Reply #11759 on: October 03, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
There's an intersection near my house where a two-lane side road intersects a major road - three lanes plus a left turn lane each way.  The left turn lanes had their own lights - the green for the cars going straight is pretty long, but the left turn onto the side road is much shorter.

Tonight I was the first car in the left turn lane, waiting at my red turn arrow while the "straight" lanes had a green light.  SS Candidate Of The Day was in the lane next to me.  Apparently she realized she was in the wrong lane, because she decided to STOP and wait for the light with me.  As in, cars are backing up behind her, she has a green light to go straight, and there's no lane for her to turn into (because I'm already in the left turn lane and the side street only has one lane each way), but she just sits and waits through the entire cycle of the light anyway.  She then tried to merge into the rear corner of my car when we finally got a green turn arrow.  (Luckily the car behind me noticed she was a nutter and gave her plenty of space.)

Oh, lordy...I had that the other day, except the other way around: SS driver was in the right-hand turn lane (think: equivalent of your left-hand turn lane, since I'm in Aus), indicating to turn right, with a number of cars backed up behind her. Just as she gets the green arrow to turn, she decides that she wants to go straight after all. So she whacks on her left indicator and just sits there until the green arrow goes back to orange, preventing all the cars behind her from turning, either.

Lady? If you mess up, *turn anyway and go round the block*. You don't get to just *sit* there and make everyone else pay the consequences of your indecision!

I've also encountered this special snowflake. Mine was much more dangerous though. I came to an intersection and I was in the right hand turn lane. The car next to me was in the straight lane. The light turns green and I go to turn and the SS in the straight lane decides to turn too (and already illegal enough, he didn't signal either!) and tries to turn around me as I'm turning ! Our cars came *thisclose* to hitting.

This is too funny - I tried to post almost this exact same story last week, but I got booted out of e-hell and lost the story. In my case, a woman was in the straight only lane, but wanted to turn left. She didn't decide this until she was almost at the intersection. The left turn lane was full and had a red arrow. Perfect solution - stop in the intersection on a green light, partially in (and blocking) the straight lane, partially in front of (and blocking) the lead car in the left turn lane, and partially blocking oncoming traffic because she's in the intersection in front of the left-turn left (but she can't turn because the turn lane has a red arrow). Suffice it to say there was much horn-honking, because it was a very, very busy day, and she blocked multiple lanes for several minutes.

I was not amused. It would have taken way less time for her to go through the intersection, pull into a parking lot, and then come back and go the way she originally wanted. Instead, she made many people wait for a good five minutes (because she blocked us during several lights), and created a dangerous situation by stopping in a location where traffic was meant to be moving.

It's scary to see how many of us have had this happen recently!