Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5263003 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #14910 on: May 18, 2012, 01:33:36 AM »
SS Story :) 

My parents have been pushing the marriage thing again and to that end had been talking to a family whose son they thought might be a good match.  The family was given the typical bio-data sheet with my pictures and information including our address, phone number, my background, and family history.  They called today asking to come and visit on Saturday so that their son and I could meet and talk.  My mom was a little taken aback at the short notice but went ahead and invited them for lunch as they live in another city and knew it would be a long drive (3 hours).  Surprisingly, the mother declined saying, "Oh no, we'll eat at home and then head over after lunch."  Then the mother had her daughter come on the phone to get our address.  My mom got as far as the city when she hears someone in the background saying "but that's 3 hours away!"  Turns out, they just assumed we were from a suburb of that city just like they are. 

My mom asked, "Didn't you read the bio-data?  It has our address right at the top..." (People in the past have just called without any serious interest, sometimes even without showing their son my information, and wasted her time, so she is sensitive to people being inconsiderate that way).  Apparently the daughter hadn't read it at all and the parents/son read it but didn't look too closely.  Cue the SS behavior - the daughter then says "Well that's just too far for us to drive.  How about you drive to us instead?  We are free on Saturday."  Mom declined - she figured it was ok for them to invite themselves since she wanted the meeting to happen anyways, but it was a little insulting to all but say that meeting me wasn't worth it to them to have to drive, but it is fine for us to have to drive to meet them instead.  Daughter then said that my mom would have to wait while they discussed whether they wanted to come and she'd call back later and let mom know if they would be coming to our house for lunch.  An hour later she did, "We decided we'll drive over on Sunday at noon after all.  There will be 5 of us coming."  Not sure who all they are planning on bringing with them to make up 5 people, but the more the merrier right? Ok in this case not really, but kudos to my mom, she chose to find it amusing and just started planning her menu.

Sooo looking forward to this weekend  ::)  The things we do to please our parents...

So to clarify, this is an arranged marriage situation and presumably the whole bio-sheet thing is part of your cultural way of doing this? 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

NyaChan

« Reply #14911 on: May 18, 2012, 01:35:51 AM »
Ceallach, in a way yes.  In my case, it would be more like a set up with a hope that things will go towards marriage.  Like Omiai in Japan, but Indian style.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #14912 on: May 18, 2012, 01:48:14 AM »
Ceallach, in a way yes.  In my case, it would be more like a set up with a hope that things will go towards marriage.  Like Omiai in Japan, but Indian style.

Ah right, gotcha!   Thanks.   

I know 3 very happily married Indian couples who were "arranged" - but I think in both cases it was actually more like you described, a family setup with a view to marriage.  I never knew how it worked technically though, I figured they just "knew" people.  But the bio sheet makes sense.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Iris

« Reply #14913 on: May 18, 2012, 02:21:24 AM »
A terminally lazy student yesterday told me that it's MY fault that she doesn't work and that if I were a good teacher I'd MAKE her work. Of course, she was saying this because it was *so unfair* that she was being punished for not working which is designed to, you know, make her work.  ::)

Reading that was like watching a puppy chase its tail!

Puppies chasing tails is cute. 

Reading that story was akin to listening to Celine Dion singing Albanian folk songs in Klingon with a sore throat.

A Poetry reading by Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Sussex ( 10 points to the person who gets the reference)

At least it's not Vogon poetry...

Imagine what it was like actually having the conversation. I really thought I had an answer for everything a teenager could throw at me. Apparently not. Perhaps I should have posted this in the 'brain hurt' thread because my brain certainly did, but the total abdication of personal responsibility swayed it this way for me.

An Ode To a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in my Armpit One Midsummer Morning
would have been bliss, believe me.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

weeblewobble

« Reply #14914 on: May 18, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »

Ah right, gotcha!   Thanks.   

I know 3 very happily married Indian couples who were "arranged" - but I think in both cases it was actually more like you described, a family setup with a view to marriage.  I never knew how it worked technically though, I figured they just "knew" people.  But the bio sheet makes sense.

I hope things work out, NyaChan, but I think in terms of potential annoying inlaw behavior, they're waving a lot of red flags.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14915 on: May 18, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »
Yes. When people say, "It's too far for US to drive to YOU, why don't YOU drive to OUR location?" they are indicating that they are either seriously entitled, or lacking the logic to understand it is the same distance both ways. Neither would make for a good family to marry into, IMO.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #14916 on: May 18, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »
One of my friends, a teacher at a college, just posted on Facebook that he received an angry e-mail from a student. She was mad that he gave her a zero. Her response was basically, "Who cared if I plaigerized (sic)? The grammar was good, right?"  ::)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #14917 on: May 18, 2012, 09:55:50 AM »
One of my friends, a teacher at a college, just posted on Facebook that he received an angry e-mail from a student. She was mad that he gave her a zero. Her response was basically, "Who cared if I plaigerized (sic)? The grammar was good, right?"  ::)

Ho-lee....
just...wow.

That, right there, is the definition of both SS and missing the forest for the trees.

Wow.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

alkira6

« Reply #14918 on: May 18, 2012, 10:25:10 AM »

Ho-lee....
just...wow.

That, right there, is the definition of both SS and missing the forest for the trees.

Wow.

And that is why I have declined - emphatically - to teach a writing skills class and a creative writing class next year.  (Despite my previous posts, I really can spell. And punctuate. And write a complete sentence.)

snowdragon

« Reply #14919 on: May 18, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »

Ho-lee....
just...wow.

Wow.

It's actually more common than you'd think. Both the act and the attitude. I've seen evidence of both every semester since I went back to school, and I am not even the teacher. If I am seeing it that often, I can not imagine how often teachers see it.

LB

« Reply #14920 on: May 18, 2012, 10:50:37 AM »
Yes. When people say, "It's too far for US to drive to YOU, why don't YOU drive to OUR location?" they are indicating that they are either seriously entitled, or lacking the logic to understand it is the same distance both ways. Neither would make for a good family to marry into, IMO.

I had to laugh a little bit at your bolded comment because my MIL does this to me and DH all the time. She kept most of her SS...iness (?) under wraps while DH and I were dating. But after we had been married a couple of years I began to understand what DH had tried to warn me about. There was a few times when I would mention that I thought maybe he was a little too hard on his mother, or "That's just normal annoying mom stuff." and he'd reply "You'll see." Well...I've seen.

She asked to take DH out for dinner on his birthday, and the restaurant he wanted to go was in our area instead of hers. She didn't like that because it's too far to drive and she doesn't like the freeway.  DH tells her "You don't have to take the freeway. You can take thisroad all the way to our house from yours."  And she'll say, "But it's just too far to drive. Why don't you all come here to see us, and we can go to my favorite restaurant?"  ::)

I heard a conversation the other day between an SS and a cop while I was out walking my dog. SS was arguing with the cop about needing to move his car which was parked in front of a fire hydrant (overnight!). SS's point? "But it's right in front of my house! Everyone parks in front of their house! The city shouldn't have put the hydrant right in front of my house!"

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #14921 on: May 18, 2012, 11:02:01 AM »
I had an I'llcrosswhenIwantus this morning.  I was driving YDD to preschool and approaching an intersection for which I had the green light (and I swear on my life, the light was VERY green, I had seen it change from red to green a moment earlier.)  Suddenly, two women stepped off the curb and into my lane, causing me to slam on my brakes so I didn't hit them.  They stood in front of my car and kept yelling at me that I need to pay attention and stop for pedestrians.  And for the record, this particular intersection does have pedestrian signals and they had the solid red hand. 

They spent so much time schooling me that the light changed and I wound up having to listen to them complain about me while they continued across the street but I'm not sure if I could have continued driving for a few moments anyway.  I can't believe they just walked in front of my car like that!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14922 on: May 18, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
SSgetoutofmywayus yesterday.  I was on a 4 lane road (2 lanes each way), coming up to a light that was amber.  I was going to be right lane #1 car; left lane #1 car stopped for the red light.  Left lane #2 car changed to the right lane.  I started cursing him under my breath because I was turning right at that light and now I was going to have to wait for the light to change so LL#2 could proceed through the intersection.

Except LL#2 decided to proceed through the red light!  It was clearly red when he changed lanes.  I couldn't believe it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #14923 on: May 18, 2012, 01:02:27 PM »

It's like the line from "Up the Down Staircase":

Student:  Why did you give me a zero?  I didn't do anything!
Teacher:  That's just it...

snowflake

« Reply #14924 on: May 18, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »

It's like the line from "Up the Down Staircase":

Student:  Why did you give me a zero?  I didn't do anything!
Teacher:  That's just it...

During my first graduate school course ever, our first assignment was to write a four-page opinion paper on The Theme of the Class.  The teacher specifically asked us not to research and explained that our final exam would be to write a four-page paper on what we had learned during the class and how it had changed our view of the subject.

The assignment sheet specifically noted that said opinion paper should not be musings, but an organized statement.   No citations, but we should identify specific experiences and/or previous education that shaped our beliefs.  It specifically said we would be graded on how well we organized and explained our thoughts. 

Half the class freaked when they got the assignment back.  They had notes in the margins like, "I'm not sure what you're saying here." and "How do you reconcile this thought with the one before it?" or "Tell me what shaped this conclusion."  And it's not like he was Mr. Meanie, I think the lowest grade was a 3.0.  Low for students who needed a 3.8 and above for the program but still...

"But it's not fair for him to grade our opinion!" and "He just hates me because I think different!"  One woman hadn't even edited her paper for complete sentences and spelling and said she shouldn't have to because it was "just an opinion."

I went home and wept because my innocence in believing graduate school a high and mighty place for pure thinkers was violated.  I got over it by the end of the quarter though.