Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5276441 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17310 on: September 23, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »
Parking lot at the extension campus for two local colleges, where I was dropping off my son on the way to the gym.

There are signs up saying that there is a four way stop sign - but white barrier poles now block off two of the four options - the FIFTH lane has no stop sign and is the entry from the main road into the campus - you have to take it to get to the parking areas.

Unobservant or a SS, either way, I was coming in without a stop sign & they stopped then pulled out in front of me and honked (yes, there was a gesture - but it was more a fist shaking than a shooting of the bird) at me.  Again - I had no stop sign.  I also had no part in the "design" of the parking lot.

No Vulcans involved in the layout, or there wouldn't have been the confusion with five "lanes" and four stop signs, even if two were blocked off by barrier poles........

I really despise intersections that aren't all-way stops. Any time I encounter one, someone can't figure it out. Whether it's the people not yielding to the ones without a stop sign, or the people stopping even though they don't have a sign and confusing everyone else. Siiigh.
Maybe I am not understanding this, and maybe the rules are different there, but over here, traffic from an exit of a parking lot or private area always has to yield, and to me it seems like VorFemme was on one such exit.

KenVee, since coming from a country where we do not have them I actually tend to despise four-way stops. They are not even possible here, because the meaning of the stop-sign precludes the posibility of a four-way stop. I must say that I mostly despise them, because you get right of way by arrival time, which I find very confusing, because over here, the right of way is always by the person coming from the right. Due to this, I am always afraid to go on four-way stops in the US, when a person coming from the right yields to me.

They were exiting the parking lot - I was in the lane for incoming traffic that is going to the parking area (hence, no stop sign for me).  They were to my right - but had a stop sign, since I had no sign - I had the right of way.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #17311 on: September 23, 2012, 01:00:31 PM »
Come to find out, one of our city council candidates is a little... special.  Or nuts.

Apparently, he keeps a property full of hazardous chemicals, has moved some of them onto neighboring houses land, and keeps a yard full of dozens of peafowl!

...Fun thing is, everyone in MyCity thinks our current council is a joke, so if they knew of this, they might vote for him just to make a point.

Welcome to Redneckville, population, a LOT of peacocks.

Jess13

« Reply #17312 on: September 23, 2012, 04:28:05 PM »
Parking lot at the extension campus for two local colleges, where I was dropping off my son on the way to the gym.

There are signs up saying that there is a four way stop sign - but white barrier poles now block off two of the four options - the FIFTH lane has no stop sign and is the entry from the main road into the campus - you have to take it to get to the parking areas.

Unobservant or a SS, either way, I was coming in without a stop sign & they stopped then pulled out in front of me and honked (yes, there was a gesture - but it was more a fist shaking than a shooting of the bird) at me.  Again - I had no stop sign.  I also had no part in the "design" of the parking lot.

No Vulcans involved in the layout, or there wouldn't have been the confusion with five "lanes" and four stop signs, even if two were blocked off by barrier poles........

I really despise intersections that aren't all-way stops. Any time I encounter one, someone can't figure it out. Whether it's the people not yielding to the ones without a stop sign, or the people stopping even though they don't have a sign and confusing everyone else. Siiigh.

This is why there are obnoxious neon yellow signs on the 3 stops signs of a 4 way intersection near my house that remind people "Oncoming traffic does not stop" or something like that.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #17313 on: September 23, 2012, 10:02:48 PM »

This is why there are obnoxious neon yellow signs on the 3 stops signs of a 4 way intersection near my house that remind people "Oncoming traffic does not stop" or something like that.
Yes, I used to live in a city where one of the top 10 intersections for # of accidents was a 2-way stop with multiple signs on the street where traffic was supposed to stop warning that the other street's traffic did not stop.

The North-South street had no stop sign.  I believe this was due to the fact that it was a serious hill (and neither top nor bottom of hill, for that matter) in a city which gets an average of 120 inches (yes, 10 feet) of snow per winter.  The East-West street cut across this hill without having any real slope to contend with.

Inevitably, the quote from the E-W street driver after the accident would be something on the order of the N-S street driver didn't stop.

I mention the hill aspect because that's almost certainly why they didn't just make it a 4-way to reduce accidents.  Only problem was that there, winter snows tended to last from October to April, which is rather a lot of the year to risk not being able to start moving again due to road conditions (if you were going uphill and had to stop).

Miriam

« Reply #17314 on: September 24, 2012, 09:22:24 AM »
I may just be typing as a point of frustration, but I'm sure this person in my online course is a SS.

A week before class began, our professor sent a chain letter explaining another professor had passed away and the class would open later than intended. Somehow the school planned to mesh all of the deceased professor's class into our online forum (which totals enrollment above 300 students). The first day of courses a student e-mailed EVERYONE in a panic (sent a mass e-mail to 300+ people) begging for help looking for the class online:
-WHHYYY can't I find da course????!?!?!
-Hello?? Any1 else lost? This class lost me! Help me!

What happened to e-mail etiquette? All I did was forward a copy of the professor's e-mail to her and leave it alone. Since class opened, I have received no less than six or seven e-mails from this person A DAY.
-HELPPP ME!!! Where is our HoMeWoRk????
-N E 1 else super confused??? Our teach must not know what he's doing, I'm paying Goood $$$ to be in da class and this is TERRBLE service.

I wish I was lying about the content of these e-mails. They are daily, they are awfully stupid, and I can't block them and the professor is just too busy handling 300+ students to deal with this one. I'm very tempted to write back how she shouldn't be taking an online course if she can't figure out the basics of even opening a folder (clearly labeled HOMEWORK once you enter the class). It's been obnoxious, why would she think someone could hold her hand throughout the entire thing? It's been four class weeks, so either someone in the mass is helping her or she's being ignored; I've only seen two drops and she didn't yet....
"All Was Well"

greencat

« Reply #17315 on: September 24, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »
Just start replying to her e-mails with "Nope.  Perhaps you should drop the class, since you tell us all every day that you can't handle it."

Pippen

« Reply #17316 on: September 24, 2012, 04:01:47 PM »
This happened years ago and to this day I don't think I have encountered such an offensive or uncaring person.

I came out of a tube station and the street was crazy. Cops everywhere. It turns out some lunatic had  stabbed 3 people including a child and an 86 year old lady at a bus top and the crime scene had been cordoned off. This vile woman went straight through the cordon and tried to enter the Woolworths. She was told to leave and the exchange went something like...

"Ma'am you can't be here this is a crime scene"
"I need to do my shopping"
"You can't three people have just been stabbed here and woolworths is closed"
"I don't give a bleep bleep! I want to do my shopping!"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17317 on: September 24, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
I got in an accident thanks to a SS years ago.  I was headed home from work and wasn't even that far from work when this guy hit me.   I was turning left after the light turned green, with a T intersection, onto a road with two lanes going each direction and the guy came speeding through his light red and hit me.

What makes him even more special? He tried to claim injuries, but since he never did go to the doctor to prove said injuries the case got thrown out.  Mind you I didn't have any injuries myself and I was the one who got hit. My car wasn't drivable and I was a bit shaken, but not hurt.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17318 on: September 24, 2012, 07:11:56 PM »
I got in an accident thanks to a SS years ago.  I was headed home from work and wasn't even that far from work when this guy hit me.   I was turning left after the light turned green, with a T intersection, onto a road with two lanes going each direction and the guy came speeding through his light red and hit me.

What makes him even more special? He tried to claim injuries, but since he never did go to the doctor to prove said injuries the case got thrown out.  Mind you I didn't have any injuries myself and I was the one who got hit. My car wasn't drivable and I was a bit shaken, but not hurt.

I can top that one - As an insurance adjuster, I got a message from someone who had pulled out from a business on a corner, crossing the oncoming lane of traffic to go across the intersection - after the light changed.  Our insured hit her vehicle - which was NOT supposed to be making a turn due to their light having gone green & her crossing more than one lane of traffic to get to "her" lane. 

The driver and passengers in "our" insured's vehicle ended up in the hospital, their vehicle was totaled, and HER insurance paid for it all.

But our insurance OWED her money because they hit her car and she needed it fixed.......she was on her third lawyer trying to file against the company for damages (state notorious for insurance fraud) and every lawyer dropped her in a New York minute after they got a look at the police report citing her for crossing illegally after the light changed, etc.  But apparently she would go to the next lawyer to give him "her version of what really happened" and how that reckless couple drove too fast through the light and hit her car....because there would be another lawyer trying to "help" her with her lawsuit & damages.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hillia

« Reply #17319 on: September 24, 2012, 09:31:25 PM »
DH's cousin got a job as an RA at his college because he doesn't like living with his mom (she occasionally asks him to pick up after himself...how horrible   ::)  ).  He was quite irate yesterday because he got woken up 8 times for lockouts.

I realize that is probably very annoying, but isn't that one of the things you should expect in exchange for that free room?  And isn't lockout service one of the things that people pay dorm rates for?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17320 on: September 24, 2012, 09:40:52 PM »

I can top that one - As an insurance adjuster, I got a message from someone who had pulled out from a business on a corner, crossing the oncoming lane of traffic to go across the intersection - after the light changed.  Our insured hit her vehicle - which was NOT supposed to be making a turn due to their light having gone green & her crossing more than one lane of traffic to get to "her" lane. 

The driver and passengers in "our" insured's vehicle ended up in the hospital, their vehicle was totaled, and HER insurance paid for it all.

But our insurance OWED her money because they hit her car and she needed it fixed.......she was on her third lawyer trying to file against the company for damages (state notorious for insurance fraud) and every lawyer dropped her in a New York minute after they got a look at the police report citing her for crossing illegally after the light changed, etc.  But apparently she would go to the next lawyer to give him "her version of what really happened" and how that reckless couple drove too fast through the light and hit her car....because there would be another lawyer trying to "help" her with her lawsuit & damages.

That actually reminds me of something that happened seven or so years ago.  I was driving home from school during the night, and not only was I unused to the highway, but my night vision isn't the best.  So, I ended up sideswiping a lady while trying to merge into the traffic.  I thought she was further away than she was.  Nobody was hurt, the cars were barely damaged, and it was my fault entirely. 

We pulled into a parking lot a little down the road, got out and checked out the damage, exchanged info and chatted for a bit.  She wasn't angry, I was very apologetic, and she even pointed out another damaged spot on her car that was clearly not from our little fender bender.  She said, "That happened not too long ago, and that one was my fault, so you shouldn't feel bad."  This is important for later.

A few days later, I got a phone call from her insurance company, asking for the details of the accident, and asking me to describe the damage to our cars.  The lady on the phone said, "Now, what about the scratch on the such-and-such?  You forgot to mention that."  After some mild confusion, we both realized that that particular scratch had not been from our little accident, and the lady had decided that she might as well have them both fixed in one go.

I ended up having to pay nothing out of pocket, as her insurance covered the damage for the accident I was involved in (I would have paid if it wasn't covered; my fault).  I didn't bother getting the damage to my car fixed, since it was just a slight dent and some chipped paint.  I don't know if the lady ever got that other scratch fixed or not, but I wasn't about to pay for the one I didn't cause!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:43:54 PM by CrochetFanatic »

Margo

« Reply #17321 on: September 25, 2012, 06:33:16 AM »
Some years ago I stopped at a motorway service area on my drive back to my parent's hosue for Christmas. It was a long drive, so I'd parked, bought a coffee and a sandwich and was sitting in the passenger seat of my car while I ate and drank. A guy who was parked in the row of spaces opposite me decided to pull out, and misjudged it, coming out too fast and turning too wide, and slammed into the front corner of my car.

He then got out, and started shouting at me for not having moved out of his way....

(quite where he thought I could have moved to, given that the car park was fairly full so there were cars to both sides of, and behind, my car, sothe only way I could have moved (assuming for the sake of argument I was able to move from the passenger to the driver seat of my car, start the car and move it, in the 10 seconds it took him to drive into me) would have been straight forward into his path, I do not know. Perhaps I was supposed to teach my car to levitate?)

He then tried to claim that it was my faul and that I would have to pay for the damage to his car!

Fortunately several people saw what had happened, and came over to check I was OK (I was on my own, he was a lot bigger than me and VERY aggressive) Needless to say, he ended up paying for the repairs to my car.

I'm still bemused as to how anyone could hit a parked car (in a parking space, in a car park) and assume that it was that vehicle's driver's fault.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #17322 on: September 25, 2012, 08:50:25 AM »

One of my friends was hit by a car that was speeding while she was crossing a street.  She's a large woman, on a cane, kind of hard to miss, y'know?   Anyway, a few weeks after the accident, while she was still in rehabilitation (she nearly died), his insurance company came after her to pay for the damage that her flying body did to his car.
She never got anything from the accident, but at least she didn't have to pay for *that*.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17323 on: September 25, 2012, 11:43:01 AM »
She never got anything from the accident, but at least she didn't have to pay for *that*.

Why didn't the driver's insurance company (or the driver himself) have to pay for her injuries?  Hitting a pedestrian, especially one using a walking device, is rather frowned upon!!  Clearly the driver was fully responsible for the accident unless she deliberately and unexpectedly leaped out in front of the car in the middle of the block or something.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #17324 on: September 25, 2012, 11:52:37 AM »
I had one - SS Shouldnt-be-drivingus. I was turning left, at a light, with a left turn arrow. The arrow had just clicked off, but it was still green, and I had stopped in the center of the intersection for an ambulance coming from the other side of the intersection, that turned left.

|HER|   |      |
STEEP         |      |   |      |
HILL            |      |   |      |
                   |      |   |      |
----------------------------------------------------
                  railroad tracks
----------------------------------------------------
                   |      |   |      |
                   |      |   |      |
                   |      |   |      |
                   |      |   |      |
                   |      |   |      |

I had just checked that no cars were coming behind the ambulance, as far as I could see (to the middle of the steep, but short, hill past the RR tracks), and pressed the gas, when this car comes flying (easily 55-60 in a 35) over the hill, bounces across the RR tracks, and slams into the side of my van (front passenger wheel area). The car, an older Lexus, is firmly wedged under my bumper, and my car is off the ground a couple of inches. Her car has all kinds of front end damage.

I got a ticket for failure to yield - even though when I entered the intersection, I had an arrow (darn the idea of stopping for an ambulance, lights and sirens going!). She got a ticket for speeding, one for attempting to leave the scene of an accident (tried to drive her car out from under mine), one for fictitious plates (were not in her name, nor was she related to the person - said she'd bought it, cash, from the earlier that week), one for no insurance, one for no DRIVERS LICENSE, and got her car impounded and an appearance ticket (they were going to arrest her, but her small kids were in the car!).

The worst part? She was on her way to drop her little ones off at KINDERGARTEN. Three blocks from where we were.