Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5640540 times)

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17325 on: September 25, 2012, 05:45:43 PM »
Not sure if it should go here or another one but I just read this one:

http://www.king5.com/news/local/State-Patrol-finds-three-kids-and-a-dog--171093951.html

In short: Cops pulled a car over doing 77 in a 60 zone. There was a strong smell of MJ and the officer heard a thump from the trunk that turned out to be 3 kids and the family dog!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #17326 on: September 25, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »

http://www.king5.com/news/local/State-Patrol-finds-three-kids-and-a-dog--171093951.html

In short: Cops pulled a car over doing 77 in a 60 zone. There was a strong smell of MJ and the officer heard a thump from the trunk that turned out to be 3 kids and the family dog!

That is HORRIFYING!   :o  >:(

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17327 on: September 25, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »
It really is horrifying!  Heaven help those kids if they got into an accident!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

soupmom

« Reply #17328 on: September 25, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
I can top that one - As an insurance adjuster, I got a message from someone who had pulled out from a business on a corner, crossing the oncoming lane of traffic to go across the intersection - after the light changed.  Our insured hit her vehicle - which was NOT supposed to be making a turn due to their light having gone green & her crossing more than one lane of traffic to get to "her" lane. 

The driver and passengers in "our" insured's vehicle ended up in the hospital, their vehicle was totaled, and HER insurance paid for it all.

But our insurance OWED her money because they hit her car and she needed it fixed.......she was on her third lawyer trying to file against the company for damages (state notorious for insurance fraud) and every lawyer dropped her in a New York minute after they got a look at the police report citing her for crossing illegally after the light changed, etc.  But apparently she would go to the next lawyer to give him "her version of what really happened" and how that reckless couple drove too fast through the light and hit her car....because there would be another lawyer trying to "help" her with her lawsuit & damages./quote

Years ago, I worked as a school crossing guard.  One morning I was talking with a student who needed to cross as we waited for traffic to clear when we heard *SCREECH* CRUNCH!!  A pickup truck had rear-ended a car right at the corner where we were standing.  The drivers moved their vehicles into an adjacent parking lot to exchange information.  Later that day when I was working my afternoon shift, the driver of the pickup truck stopped by to ask me a few questions about what I saw of the accident and to get my contact information in case my statement might be needed as a witness.  However, I never heard anything else from him -- until...

About six months later, I got a frantic phone call one morning just as I was leaving for my shift.  It was the pickup truck driver.  He was being taken to small claims court later that day by the driver of the car for damages.  The car's driver was claiming that he had been forced to stop suddenly because I stepped out into traffic unexpectedly to allow a student to cross.  The pickup truck driver disputed his claim (and so did I).  So, since I was available during the time of the hearing, I agreed to appear.

We got to court and I was called up as the pickup truck driver's witness.  I reported what I had seen, and answered a few questions from the judge.  If I remember correctly, the driver of the car only presented information on the damages to his car.  After both sides had presented their cases, the judge asked a few more questions to clarify matters.  Things were going well until he asked the driver of the car, "So you need this money because your insurance company refused to pay to repair your car?"

"Oh, no, the insurance company paid for everything.  My car is in great shape."

The judge almost yelled at him in amazement, "Then why did you file this claim?!"

The car's driver said, "I just wanted to see if I could get some more money."

The judge threatened the driver with contempt if he didn't leave immediately and said he'd better never waste the court's time like that again.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #17329 on: September 26, 2012, 07:51:28 AM »
She never got anything from the accident, but at least she didn't have to pay for *that*.

Why didn't the driver's insurance company (or the driver himself) have to pay for her injuries?  Hitting a pedestrian, especially one using a walking device, is rather frowned upon!!  Clearly the driver was fully responsible for the accident unless she deliberately and unexpectedly leaped out in front of the car in the middle of the block or something.

She was one of those very poor people who can't afford a good lawyer, and the freebie lawyer she had didn't fight very hard. 

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #17330 on: September 26, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »

OK. That totally beats the lady who's all over the news here for putting her nephew in the trunk of her car because he was wet from the water ride at the amusement park and she didn't want him to get the seats in her Lexus wet.
That is HORRIFYING!   :o  >:(
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17331 on: September 26, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »
soupmom wrote:

"The judge threatened the driver with contempt if he didn't leave immediately and said he'd better never waste the court's time like that again."

I find it very disappointing that the judge didn't put the screws to this person.  It's because of the lack of repercussions that this sort of thing continues to happen, and if he'd spent a day in the slammer for it perhaps he and others like him would think twice before trying it.

Virg

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17332 on: September 26, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »

Not only that, but you've got four breathing things stuffed into that trunk.  How long before they run out of oxygen?   :o

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #17333 on: September 26, 2012, 04:24:47 PM »
The rat was actually fine - he had a rabbit-sized water bottle, and the last time he'd been fed apparently the entire bag of his food had just been dumped in there, so he wasn't hungry at all.  Sorry that I forgot to mention that.  Unfortunately, due to my cats, and the fact that this guy was sleeping in my living room, the rat really didn't get to come out much while he lived here - I personally have a policy of not adopting pets my cats think of as potential snacks.
I had a friend, a teacher, who had guinea pigs in her classroom. She had to bring them home for breaks, and her cat was fascinated. The cat would watch the guinea pigs, but when she got a chance to interact with them, there was no prey instinct; the cat would groom them, and play with them like a mama cat and her kittens. We joked that the guinea pigs were the cat's pets.
The guinea pigs lived to a ripe old age, and the cat was obviously mournful when they passed.

My stepmom had guinea pigs when I moved in with my cat, Alphonse the Rodent Killer. (She earned the name, even the vet puts it on her papers.) At the time the cavies were in a rubbermaid type container with no top and I honestly didn't think about how Alphonse would react to chubby, succulent little yummies...

But this story has a happy ending. She just tried to nurse them... repeatedly. And groomed them. Tried carrying them like kittens but they squealed and she deciuded her "sick, stupid kittens" were too delicate to be moved so she moved on to dropping bits of cat kibble in the cage. When she brought them (most of) a mouse, we got them a wire cage.

The cavies are gone now (both were old when I moved in) but Alphonse still hasn't forgiven us for "seperating" her from "her kittens." She raised a few litters and was always an excellent mother, whether to kittens, guinea pigs or beanie babies.

I too had a species-confused feline.  The funniest thing is, we came in to find our guinea pig cage had been tampered with.  The cover had been removed (it locked on, so don't ask me how this cat managed that), and an extremely content looking cat laying *in* the cage.  My first thought was "Well, no cat food needed today."  We go over, and the cat is holding the guinea pig to her belly, obviously trying to get the little furball to nurse.  The guinea pig, for its part, had this "For deity's sake HELP ME!" look on her face.

squeakers

« Reply #17334 on: September 26, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »

Not only that, but you've got four breathing things stuffed into that trunk.  How long before they run out of oxygen?   :o

Never.  Or forever.  Car trunks are not water tight let alone air tight.  But other things can cause death in a trunk like extreme heat or cold, being in an accident or suffocation due to something being on top of one/not being able to roll due to no room.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17335 on: September 26, 2012, 05:18:06 PM »
squeakers wrote:

"Never.  Or forever.  Car trunks are not water tight let alone air tight.  But other things can cause death in a trunk like extreme heat or cold, being in an accident or suffocation due to something being on top of one/not being able to roll due to no room."

Don't forget carbon monoxide poisoning if the exhaust system has any problems, getting trapped if the car goes off the road, and even drowning if the car goes into water because most trunk lids don't have an inside release.  Mostly, though, the danger is a collision both because the passengers aren't secured and because most cars are designed with the trunk space as a crumple zone to protect occupants in the car's cabin.  I don't know if it qualifies as a Special Snowflake move, but it's certainly a very dumb idea.

Virg

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #17336 on: September 26, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »
The rat was actually fine - he had a rabbit-sized water bottle, and the last time he'd been fed apparently the entire bag of his food had just been dumped in there, so he wasn't hungry at all.  Sorry that I forgot to mention that.  Unfortunately, due to my cats, and the fact that this guy was sleeping in my living room, the rat really didn't get to come out much while he lived here - I personally have a policy of not adopting pets my cats think of as potential snacks.
I had a friend, a teacher, who had guinea pigs in her classroom. She had to bring them home for breaks, and her cat was fascinated. The cat would watch the guinea pigs, but when she got a chance to interact with them, there was no prey instinct; the cat would groom them, and play with them like a mama cat and her kittens. We joked that the guinea pigs were the cat's pets.
The guinea pigs lived to a ripe old age, and the cat was obviously mournful when they passed.

My stepmom had guinea pigs when I moved in with my cat, Alphonse the Rodent Killer. (She earned the name, even the vet puts it on her papers.) At the time the cavies were in a rubbermaid type container with no top and I honestly didn't think about how Alphonse would react to chubby, succulent little yummies...

But this story has a happy ending. She just tried to nurse them... repeatedly. And groomed them. Tried carrying them like kittens but they squealed and she deciuded her "sick, stupid kittens" were too delicate to be moved so she moved on to dropping bits of cat kibble in the cage. When she brought them (most of) a mouse, we got them a wire cage.

The cavies are gone now (both were old when I moved in) but Alphonse still hasn't forgiven us for "seperating" her from "her kittens." She raised a few litters and was always an excellent mother, whether to kittens, guinea pigs or beanie babies.

I too had a species-confused feline.  The funniest thing is, we came in to find our guinea pig cage had been tampered with.  The cover had been removed (it locked on, so don't ask me how this cat managed that), and an extremely content looking cat laying *in* the cage.  My first thought was "Well, no cat food needed today."  We go over, and the cat is holding the guinea pig to her belly, obviously trying to get the little furball to nurse.  The guinea pig, for its part, had this "For deity's sake HELP ME!" look on her face.

lol

Ours were more laid back. They just kinda went with it, except when she tried to carry them. They did not like that at all.

Our guinea pigs were always kinda weird. You could dress them up and one (my stepbrother's "personal" pet) would sleep in DB's bed, never tried to escape, I'd just walk in there at night when I noticed him missing and remove him from DB's pillow.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

snowdragon

« Reply #17337 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
My online grant writing course has been divided into groups that will work together for the next 11 weeks to find ways to make out grants work, one of the members in my groups has decided that the online format is "really not working for her" and she "wants to meet on campus to work together on these projects in person, because she really is not getting what she paid for.  I *KNOW* you're going to work with me on this" 

I wrote back that the online format works great for me and it will not be possible for me to change it.

With in a half hour there was a response from her MOTHER saying that I was wrong for not wanting to change and commit to meeting on Saturday mornings at 8am every week for the girl's benefit and that  I was totally unreasonable in refusing.   

They have written the teacher to tell her that  I would not comply.

Did I mention this is GRAD school?     

I can see asking, but having mommy fight your battles in grad school smacks of SS to me.

Craftyone

« Reply #17338 on: September 26, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »
I'm calling the weather here SS.  I'm in Perth, Western Australia and I'm packing up the house to move (the removalists come tomorrow).  Just doing the last minute washing of bed linen I've been using (we're moving to Canberra and my husband is already there so I've got the wonderful job of sorting and packing the house). 

It's been teeming down the last few days with a chance of a hail storm today.  So I'm going to have to dry the sheets inside in front of the fire. 

Why is the weather SS???  By Monday it's sunny and 31c, perfect drying weather!!!!!!!!   :P

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17339 on: September 26, 2012, 08:07:33 PM »
My online grant writing course has been divided into groups that will work together for the next 11 weeks to find ways to make out grants work, one of the members in my groups has decided that the online format is "really not working for her" and she "wants to meet on campus to work together on these projects in person, because she really is not getting what she paid for.  I *KNOW* you're going to work with me on this" 

I wrote back that the online format works great for me and it will not be possible for me to change it.

With in a half hour there was a response from her MOTHER saying that I was wrong for not wanting to change and commit to meeting on Saturday mornings at 8am every week for the girl's benefit and that  I was totally unreasonable in refusing.   

They have written the teacher to tell her that  I would not comply.

Did I mention this is GRAD school?     

I can see asking, but having mommy fight your battles in grad school smacks of SS to me.

I just tried to picture asking my mom to do this.

ImaginaryWinterMom is currently in need of oxygen from laughing so hard, and the dogs have come to see what's wrong.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls