Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5297445 times)

snowdragon

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17340 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
My online grant writing course has been divided into groups that will work together for the next 11 weeks to find ways to make out grants work, one of the members in my groups has decided that the online format is "really not working for her" and she "wants to meet on campus to work together on these projects in person, because she really is not getting what she paid for.  I *KNOW* you're going to work with me on this" 

I wrote back that the online format works great for me and it will not be possible for me to change it.

With in a half hour there was a response from her MOTHER saying that I was wrong for not wanting to change and commit to meeting on Saturday mornings at 8am every week for the girl's benefit and that  I was totally unreasonable in refusing.   

They have written the teacher to tell her that  I would not comply.

Did I mention this is GRAD school?     

I can see asking, but having mommy fight your battles in grad school smacks of SS to me.

Craftyone

« Reply #17341 on: September 26, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »
I'm calling the weather here SS.  I'm in Perth, Western Australia and I'm packing up the house to move (the removalists come tomorrow).  Just doing the last minute washing of bed linen I've been using (we're moving to Canberra and my husband is already there so I've got the wonderful job of sorting and packing the house). 

It's been teeming down the last few days with a chance of a hail storm today.  So I'm going to have to dry the sheets inside in front of the fire. 

Why is the weather SS???  By Monday it's sunny and 31c, perfect drying weather!!!!!!!!   :P

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17342 on: September 26, 2012, 08:07:33 PM »
My online grant writing course has been divided into groups that will work together for the next 11 weeks to find ways to make out grants work, one of the members in my groups has decided that the online format is "really not working for her" and she "wants to meet on campus to work together on these projects in person, because she really is not getting what she paid for.  I *KNOW* you're going to work with me on this" 

I wrote back that the online format works great for me and it will not be possible for me to change it.

With in a half hour there was a response from her MOTHER saying that I was wrong for not wanting to change and commit to meeting on Saturday mornings at 8am every week for the girl's benefit and that  I was totally unreasonable in refusing.   

I can see asking, but having mommy fight your battles in grad school smacks of SS to me.

I just tried to picture asking my mom to do this.

ImaginaryWinterMom is currently in need of oxygen from laughing so hard, and the dogs have come to see what's wrong.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17343 on: September 26, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »

ImaginaryWinterMom is currently in need of oxygen from laughing so hard, and the dogs have come to see what's wrong.

MINE would tell me, in no uncertain terms, to "suck it up, and figure out how to make it work" BY YOURSELF.

And speaking of doing things on your own, it was refreshing to hear a CW tell the story about her son, who's a freshman, who changed roommates all on his own!  The reason?  Made me snicker.  Apparently first roomie couldn't figure out his Apple id or something like that.  Son was amazed since he is attending a technical school for engineering and that was more than he could handle!  I think he figured if his roomie was that clueless, he'd best get out before he went nuts.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17344 on: September 27, 2012, 01:01:25 AM »

I'm not sure if, had I ever done that even as a young undergrad, JediMom would have scolded me into the next decade or died of laugh-induced asphyxiation.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

NyaChan

« Reply #17345 on: September 27, 2012, 02:27:19 AM »
My cousin's mother once casually related how she'd gone to his teacher's office hours to talk about his grades and set up a semester plan for assignments and to discuss his classwork because she thought he was slacking off.  At the time, my cousin was a sophomore in college.  I had to seriously bite my tongue the whole time to keep from going, "You did what???"  :o

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #17346 on: September 27, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
Someone left a bunch of fast food trash in the corner of the parking lot where I park my car.  There's a Dumpster not 100 feet away and a trash can about the same distance away in a different direction.  We have maintenance people that will come and pick it up, but I think that leaving the trash there was SS behavior since there were disposal receptacles so close by. 

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #17347 on: September 27, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »
More than likely it was the same person who dumps their garbage on top of or in front of the garbage dumpster here. Too lazy to lift the lid and put it in, instead they dump it where the crows can tear up the bag and spread it around.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17348 on: September 27, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »
Someone left a bunch of fast food trash in the corner of the parking lot where I park my car.  There's a Dumpster not 100 feet away and a trash can about the same distance away in a different direction.  We have maintenance people that will come and pick it up, but I think that leaving the trash there was SS behavior since there were disposal receptacles so close by.

Leaving it there was SS behaviour even if there weren't receptacles close by!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17349 on: September 27, 2012, 03:28:24 PM »

Must be the same people who dumps their tray on the empty table next to them when the tray area is right there.  And then leave the wrappers and other trash on their table after they finish.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #17350 on: September 27, 2012, 03:58:12 PM »
My cousin's mother once casually related how she'd gone to his teacher's office hours to talk about his grades and set up a semester plan for assignments and to discuss his classwork because she thought he was slacking off.  At the time, my cousin was a sophomore in college.  I had to seriously bite my tongue the whole time to keep from going, "You did what???"  :o

This happened to one of my friends in college without her knowledge.  Her mom went behind her backs to talk to the professors about her grades, classes, etc.  Fortunately one of her professors mentioned it to her, so she was able to deal with it.  She was horrified when she found out.  She knew her mom was a bit helicopter-ish, but never expected it to go this far.  She did wonder whether her mom has done it before but she just didn't know about it. 

Jones

« Reply #17351 on: September 27, 2012, 04:06:31 PM »
I present to you a PSA prompted by someone I saw driving today:

Please, do not speak on your phone while driving. If you must, please do not "speak with your hands" (the person you are speaking with will not see your gestures anyhow). If you are driving with one hand at your ear and the other waving in the air, somehow maneuvering with your knee (I assume) then at LEAST keep your eyes on the road, not on the half dozen papers spread on your steering wheel and dashboard.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #17352 on: September 28, 2012, 12:35:29 AM »
please do not "speak with your hands
I once followed a car down a city street, observing that there seemed to be a lot of hand waving going on. It wasn't until the car stopped in front of me at a red light, that I realized what was happening.

The driver and passenger were conversing in sign language. Not a problem in itself, except that to do that, you have to look at the person you are talking to, and you need both hands to talk. That meant that the driver was looking at the passenger, not the road, and did't have his hands on the wheel.  I turned off soon after, so never saw if there were ay awful results of the conversation. 

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Margo

« Reply #17353 on: September 28, 2012, 08:00:26 AM »
years ago, when I was baout 18, I visited some family friends in France. My hostess met me at the station to drive me to her home, and spent the entire journey telling me all about the history and architecture of the area we were driving throuh. Which was lovely, except that she kept gesticulating, and half-turning to face me. Which meant that a lot of the time she had only one hand on the wheel and wasn't looking at the road.

I don't think I've been so scared in a car before or since. (except maybe once with a taxi driver in Florence who reversed a top speed down a very narrow one-way road..)

sevenday

« Reply #17354 on: September 28, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »
Nutra, quick thing - I'm deaf, and my best friend in high school was also deaf.  We did talk while driving, but only because a) I can sign one-handed, and b) I have excellent peripheral vision plus I do mirror checks so my eyes did occasionally slide over to the passenger side (to check the mirror) more frequently.  It was slightly awkward for us but we could still converse reasonably, although my friend did keep an eye on the road just in case. She never had to warn me to brake or anything like that.  Dangerous? Yes, which was why we tried to limit such conversation to important topics that couldn't wait until we got to where we were going.  So it's perhaps not quite as bad as you think... But then we were reasonable, skilled signers... Anything beyond that gets shaky and I agree, scary to watch.

Just saying that no, you do not strictly have to be facing the person you are speaking to, nor do you have to use both hands.