Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5244026 times)

Hillia

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17550 on: October 14, 2012, 05:20:12 AM »
Slarti, your story seems a bit different to me though.  I can understand being a taken aback at enrolling in a non-religious (even if it was religious before, apparently it was secular at the time of the story right?) school but then finding myself having orientation in a cathedral.  I didn't go to a secular university so I expected a good bit of exposure to and integration with religion, but if I just signed up for my state school and they sent me to a cathedral for orientation, I would raising my eyebrows pretty high.

Well, if it's the only building on campus that can comfortably accommodate the number of people at an event, and there is no religious activity involved, I don't know that it would bother me.  You use the facility that best suits the logistical needs of the event.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Adelaide

« Reply #17551 on: October 14, 2012, 10:13:24 AM »
Slarti, your story seems a bit different to me though.  I can understand being a taken aback at enrolling in a non-religious (even if it was religious before, apparently it was secular at the time of the story right?) school but then finding myself having orientation in a cathedral.  I didn't go to a secular university so I expected a good bit of exposure to and integration with religion, but if I just signed up for my state school and they sent me to a cathedral for orientation, I would raising my eyebrows pretty high.

Well, if it's the only building on campus that can comfortably accommodate the number of people at an event, and there is no religious activity involved, I don't know that it would bother me.  You use the facility that best suits the logistical needs of the event.

I am at a state school and the chapel is usually the building we go to for events like the one we had the other day. It just happens to be the building that fits the most people, aside from the law lecture hall, which is sometimes booked up for events only 2l's and 3l's are required to participate in. There's never anything religious going on, not even "fringe" things like having a moment of silence or abstractly requesting that a higher power let us have a good lecture. At the school I went to for college this was the norm as well-book the chapel if another hall wasn't available. Plus, it's never a shock when we have to go there. It says on our schedule at least a week in advance that we report to the chapel for whatever special lecture we're having as a group.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17552 on: October 14, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
I wouldn't have any problem going to a strictly secular event that happened to be held in a house of worship.  We've gone to several in Unitarian churches and synagogues.   

After all, RPI installed one of their course labs in a deconsecrated church.  If you think about it, the reuse of the space was oddly appropriate. 

BB-VA

« Reply #17553 on: October 14, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »
I wouldn't have any problem going to a strictly secular event that happened to be held in a house of worship.  We've gone to several in Unitarian churches and synagogues.   

After all, RPI installed one of their course labs in a deconsecrated church.  If you think about it, the reuse of the space was oddly appropriate.

It has been going on for a long time.  In "Little Town on the Prairie" Laura's school exhibition was held in the church because there wasn't enough room in the schoolhouse to fit everyone in who wanted to see it.  Sometimes being practical has to take precedence.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

deadbody

« Reply #17554 on: October 14, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »

There are people whose religion forbids this though, I wonder what they are expected to do.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17555 on: October 14, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »

There are people whose religion forbids this though, I wonder what they are expected to do.
I was under the impression that their religion forbids them from attending services in another religion.  That's a long way from just entering the building to attend a secular lecture.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

snowdragon

« Reply #17556 on: October 14, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »

Why would any religion forbid someone from entering a deconsecrated  church.  It's no longer a house of worship and is no longer dedicated to religious purposes at this point it is no different than going to another classroom building on campus or another theater. This is common practice in some cities these days.  And if your religion forbids it still you should have done your research better and figured that out before hand.  The rest of the community does not havve your restrictions and should not have to work around them for you. If this is the building that is now used this is the  building used.
  If the and if they object to merely sitting in a building to get information they can make arrangements to get the info in another way. Have a friend or administrator record it or something.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17557 on: October 14, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »

I have this problem with my school district. They hold events in a local church. This is Houston there are other venues that can hold the event not 5 minutes away.  I know at least one staff member that has to go to her pastor and get permission to attend. They also may be facing a huge lawsuit in the near future if they don't stop, this and some other violations of staff and student civil rights.  (My principal sends out a weekly newsletter to staff that is a Sunday school lesson.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

geekette

« Reply #17558 on: October 15, 2012, 02:49:00 AM »
On the flip side, I went to a private, christian high-school - which just happened to be in the top schools in the territory and got some truly astounding marks in the final territory-wide assessments. There were parents who complained that their child was required to attend a service every fortnight at the school chapel. They didn't actually have to contribute, or even stand for the singing or prayers, just attend. Despite enrolling and paying for their child at a school which in its name declared itself religious.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17559 on: October 15, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »
DH and I went to the movies this weekend. Behind us was a bunch of young (probably 14-15) teens. During the previews, one of them called his Dad on the phone and said "Dad, you need to come to the movie theater with some money. We don't have enough for popcorn. What do you mean, 'no'? we NEED popcorn. We only have like $3 left! COME ON, just bring the money!"

His father apparently did not bring the money to the movie theater. I told my husband later that if I had a kid who talked to me like that, they wouldn't be going to the movies for a very long time..

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17560 on: October 15, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »
DH and I went to the movies this weekend. Behind us was a bunch of young (probably 14-15) teens. During the previews, one of them called his Dad on the phone and said "Dad, you need to come to the movie theater with some money. We don't have enough for popcorn. What do you mean, 'no'? we NEED popcorn. We only have like $3 left! COME ON, just bring the money!"

His father apparently did not bring the money to the movie theater. I told my husband later that if I had a kid who talked to me like that, they wouldn't be going to the movies for a very long time..

SOunds like my CW's child, who wants everything under the sun, and my CW sadly, gives in, then whines about how entitled her child is.  Um, I'm sorry, but its YOUR problem you cna't tell her no.

philliesphan

« Reply #17561 on: October 15, 2012, 03:21:20 PM »

If I had made a call like that, my parents would have come to the movie theater, all right...to march me out of the theater and loudly embarrass me in front of my friends!

SheltieMom

« Reply #17562 on: October 15, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »

If I had made a call like that, my parents would have come to the movie theater, all right...to march me out of the theater and loudly embarrass me in front of my friends!

Pod! Or my kids to me.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #17563 on: October 15, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »

Happened to me - I did everything mentioned (pull the emergency brake, honk the horn) and finally got to a section of roadway that had concrete Jersey barriers and scraped my car along it to slow it as best I could.  A State trooper pulled alongside me, paced my car, and started shoving his car into mine to press it further into the wall.  To celebrate and honor him for saving my life, I puked all over his nice uniform about twenty minutes after it was over.  So I was a SS for thanking him in that spectacular roadside fashion.

Not SS'y at all, CharlieBraun. Probably the Trooper was glad he could help you and possibly save your life, and he'd probably rather have a thankful/adrenaline-reaction hurl than the kinds he usually gets (drunken!) Glad you were okay!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

MyFamily

« Reply #17564 on: October 18, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
b/g I workout at one of those places that is accessible to their members 24/7.  There are hours when it is staffed, but most of the time when I go it is outside those hours.  We have key fobs we can use to get into the place during the non-staffed hours.  If you let someone in who doesn't have a fob, you can be charged $50. 

This morning while I was working out on a machine by the front window someone was trying to get in by ringing the bell, and then she asked me through the window to let her in.  I refused ($50 is a really good determent).  She gave me a cat-butt face and said something; I think from reading her lips, it was that she forgot her keys or she'd left her keys in the gym.  I don't know, but either way, I wasn't going to let her in.  Eventually, another member let her in, but she was obviously not happy with me based on the looks I got through the window.  The rules are clear, they are posted by the door, and also, honestly, I was in the middle of my workout; I would stop for an emergency, this wasn't one.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol