Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5654461 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17580 on: October 20, 2012, 10:05:41 AM »
I live in a townhouse with my dog who has been really stressed lately, showing some extreme reactions to people walking by my house or ringing my doorbell. I've ended up hiring a behaviorist to deal with this, spending almost $400 so far.

Further background, there's a 2 bedroom unit in my building with 8 people living there, which is against housing codes. I figure the economy is terrible and they're mostly nice, except for one woman who has a baby and a preschooler. She thought it was really cute to hold the baby up to MY doorbell and let him ring it nonstop. I spoke to her about it twice and both time she seemed really surprised that it bothered me. "But he's having so much fun!" So let him do it to your house. "But the preschooler is napping!" So was I! Not my problem! The second time she finally said "You really mean the baby can't ring your bell?!?" Yes! Fortunately, it hasn't happened again, or so I thought.

Today I decided to work from home. This afternoon, my doorbell starts ringing nonstop. My dog is freaking out, and I whip open the front door to find the same woman with her baby.

Bad neighbor: Oh, you're home!
Me: What are you doing? I've told you repeatedly to leave my doorbell alone. You are driving my dog crazy!
BN: Oh, I don't mind the barking!
Me: I mind the $400 I've spent trying to deal with the anxiety problem you've apparently created in my dog.
BN: But the baby loves it!
Me: I don't care.

Right now I'm so furious at her that I'm somewhat tempted to call her landlord and let him know about his extra tenants, but I don't want to do something out of revenge.

Rat her out to the landlord ASAP, and disconnect your doorbell until they've been evicted.  I'm not quite sure why this lady doesn't get that she get use your property for her child's amusement, but she obviously doesn't.  Don't be concerned about hurting her feelings or anything - she's terrorizing your dog and trespassing on your property to do it.

POD. The baby is enjoying listening to your poor dog bark when it hits the doorbell.  The woman is cruel.  I'd get her away from me.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17581 on: October 20, 2012, 10:13:23 AM »
Once again, from my store's FB page.  We have "regular" stores as well as upscale outlet store, which have merchandise produced specifically for them, as many outlets do.  And our store's website every now and again will offer some of the outlet merchandise, at a discount.  Normally you have to actually go to an outlet store to purchase.  It's since been removed but someone was whining saying how disappointed they were that they saw merchandise on the online outlet sale that were "knockoffs" of items from the regular store last year, that they had purchased at a significantly higher price!

The store explained that sometimes, they re-make some of the more popular items, in different fabrics or with slight tweaks, at a lower price point for the outlet stores. Other weighed in about how they thought it was sneaky as well.  I have to say, I shop in both regular and outlet stores and that thought never crossed my mind. Yes, I've said oh wow, I bought something similar to this outlet item in the store, but I'd never whine about how its unfair to us customers they now offer a lower-priced version in the outlet. I guess some people are just never happy!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #17582 on: October 20, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »
With the doorbell/baby/dog situation, my husband suggests just calling the police, and not worrying about bringing housing code into it.  Surely it's illegal to go up to somebody's house and ring the doorbell over and over and over... there must be some law against harassment, noise violation, something.  Or at least ask their advice about whether the woman is breaking any laws and what you should do.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #17583 on: October 20, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »
I live in a townhouse with my dog who has been really stressed lately, showing some extreme reactions to people walking by my house or ringing my doorbell. I've ended up hiring a behaviorist to deal with this, spending almost $400 so far.

Further background, there's a 2 bedroom unit in my building with 8 people living there, which is against housing codes. I figure the economy is terrible and they're mostly nice, except for one woman who has a baby and a preschooler. She thought it was really cute to hold the baby up to MY doorbell and let him ring it nonstop. I spoke to her about it twice and both time she seemed really surprised that it bothered me. "But he's having so much fun!" So let him do it to your house. "But the preschooler is napping!" So was I! Not my problem! The second time she finally said "You really mean the baby can't ring your bell?!?" Yes! Fortunately, it hasn't happened again, or so I thought.

Today I decided to work from home. This afternoon, my doorbell starts ringing nonstop. My dog is freaking out, and I whip open the front door to find the same woman with her baby.

Me: What are you doing? I've told you repeatedly to leave my doorbell alone. You are driving my dog crazy!
Me: I mind the $400 I've spent trying to deal with the anxiety problem you've apparently created in my dog.

Right now I'm so furious at her that I'm somewhat tempted to call her landlord and let him know about his extra tenants, but I don't want to do something out of revenge.

you just explained why your dog hates the doorbell lately.
She's abusing your dog. do anything and everything to protect your dog from her and her nastiness.

I appreciate all the advice and sympathy, folks. However, I'd hate to see this thread locked so please avoid anything that swerves into legal territory. Rest assured that I'll do my best to take care of my dog's health.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #17584 on: October 20, 2012, 12:12:51 PM »
I agree with MommyPenguin.  I'd call the police and find out what your options are.  It sucks that you might have to disconnect your doorbell; you really shouldn't have to.  I've never heard something so absurd, she spends her days letting her baby ring your doorbell?  Seriously? 

People are weird.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

JoW

« Reply #17585 on: October 20, 2012, 01:33:44 PM »
Call your landlord, but don't mention the 8 people.  Complain about the woman who holds her baby up so he can ring the door bell all day, tormenting your dog.  Mention her apartment nujmber.  Ask for permission and/or help disconnecting the doorbell. 

The landlord will investigate and find all those people and start kicking them out. 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #17586 on: October 20, 2012, 02:41:47 PM »

This is a youngster who's going to grow up thinking it's funny to ring people's doorbells then run off.  My mom caught one of these once, and they never did it (at least to us) again.

Jules1980

« Reply #17587 on: October 20, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
I can't believe this would amuse the baby more than once or twice.  My IL's have a great doorbell (for kids) that plays music and is programmable for different seasons and still, it only ever amused BabyJ a few times before it got old, even to her.  I thinkk the mother has figured out that it works your nerves so she keeps doing it, using the child as the excuse.

doodlemor

« Reply #17588 on: October 20, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »
Mbbored, I agree with those who say to disconnect the doorbell.  You might be able to do this by pulling a fuse or circuit breaker, depending on how your home is wired.

Perhaps you should think about getting an inexpensive cam to video your entrance.  If this horrid woman is thwarted when the doorbell doesn't work, she may pound on  the door or blow a whistle or some other action to tease your poor dog and get him to bark. 

I do agree with PP who think that the dog's barking is the motivation for ringing the doorbell.  My grandkids think the dogs are hilarious when the UPS guy or the post man come.

I too would be leery about reporting the 8 people right away.  They may be crazies who would retaliate.  If you do report them perhaps you should wait several months.

SS stuff - I saw a father racing his little daughter around Wegman's recently.  He was pushing the cart and *running as fast as he could,* and the child was shouting with laughter.  The store wasn't crowded, but this is still scary dangerous for both his daughter and others. 

I couldn't find an employee to report this, and was in too much of a hurry to walk way up front to the office.  The noise, which could be heard aisles away, finally stopped, so maybe he did meet up with an employee.  At least I didn't hear a loud crash.

I've started putting the store phone number on the top of my list, so that I can call the front desk if by any chance I encounter anyone like this again.

suzieQ

« Reply #17589 on: October 20, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »
SS stuff - I saw a father racing his little daughter around Wegman's recently.  He was pushing the cart and *running as fast as he could,* and the child was shouting with laughter.  The store wasn't crowded, but this is still scary dangerous for both his daughter and others. 

I couldn't find an employee to report this, and was in too much of a hurry to walk way up front to the office.  The noise, which could be heard aisles away, finally stopped, so maybe he did meet up with an employee.  At least I didn't hear a loud crash.

I've started putting the store phone number on the top of my list, so that I can call the front desk if by any chance I encounter anyone like this again.

Wow - I would be so afraid he would run into someone and seriously injure them! Some people just don't seem to have any common sense!
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17590 on: October 20, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
Disconnect the doorbell for a while?

Ring hers!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17591 on: October 20, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »
OK, stuffed Evil back in her cage.

More to the point, I would do 2 things:

1) Disconnect the doorbell until they're history.

2) Present her with a bill for the behaviorist and ask her how she intends to pay for it. If she balks, go for small claims court.

3) Rat them out to the landlord.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Adelaide

« Reply #17592 on: October 20, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
I posted awhile ago in the Exchanges thread about the ridiculously good looking boy in my class-the one who was so hot that girls swung the other way and said "I don't trust him, he's too attractive". Well, apparently that's changed. The other day he and I were sitting on a bench in the library. We were sitting right up against each other because several people from our group were sitting on the same bench. There was another guy sitting on Hot Kid's opposite side.

Snowflake, the girl who has been incessantly and obviously flirting with HK since day one, was walking down the hallway and physically stopped at the sight of us as though she'd run into a sheet of glass. She quickly rushed over, shooting me the look from Hades, and wedged her things in between the random guy and Hot Kid. This backfired, as he had to place his arm around me in order to make room for her stuff. As she babbles away, Snowflake apparently decides that she needs to mark her territory. She drapes her scarf over his arm and smooths out the creases out of it, and then she starts making him hold things. Soon he has a couple of binders in one hand, Snowflake's giant purse in his lap, her scarf on one arm, and he has to remove the arm that was scrunched around me in order to hold Snowflake's venti coffee. She actually tries to get him to carry her purse (a giant, sparkly black tote) into the library but he refuses and quickly rushes over to me, acting like he has some Super Important Stuff about the assignment that he has to ask me. Snowflake tries to cut in but he shoots her down. When we exit the library Snowflake hooks her claws into him again. The last I saw they were walking into the sunset, him weighted down with half of her things and Snowflake trying to adjust the collar of his shirt.  How romantic. ::)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17593 on: October 20, 2012, 11:55:37 PM »
I posted awhile ago in the Exchanges thread about the ridiculously good looking boy in my class-the one who was so hot that girls swung the other way and said "I don't trust him, he's too attractive". Well, apparently that's changed. The other day he and I were sitting on a bench in the library. We were sitting right up against each other because several people from our group were sitting on the same bench. There was another guy sitting on Hot Kid's opposite side.

Snowflake, the girl who has been incessantly and obviously flirting with HK since day one, was walking down the hallway and physically stopped at the sight of us as though she'd run into a sheet of glass. She quickly rushed over, shooting me the look from Hades, and wedged her things in between the random guy and Hot Kid. This backfired, as he had to place his arm around me in order to make room for her stuff. As she babbles away, Snowflake apparently decides that she needs to mark her territory. She drapes her scarf over his arm and smooths out the creases out of it, and then she starts making him hold things. Soon he has a couple of binders in one hand, Snowflake's giant purse in his lap, her scarf on one arm, and he has to remove the arm that was scrunched around me in order to hold Snowflake's venti coffee. She actually tries to get him to carry her purse (a giant, sparkly black tote) into the library but he refuses and quickly rushes over to me, acting like he has some Super Important Stuff about the assignment that he has to ask me. Snowflake tries to cut in but he shoots her down. When we exit the library Snowflake hooks her claws into him again. The last I saw they were walking into the sunset, him weighted down with half of her things and Snowflake trying to adjust the collar of his shirt.  How romantic. ::)

Ridiculously hot guy is also a push over.  Maybe you could teach him the word no :)

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #17594 on: October 21, 2012, 06:09:58 AM »
One from my DH:
DH has a coworker who has a 1-year old baby. CW and wife decide to have dinner in a very chique restaurant (has 2 stars - only 18 of that level in the netherlands). They also decide to bring their 1 year along to that restaurant. Did I mention chique already? It's also expansive and you often have to book seats days or weeks in advance. The predictable happens: Baby is fussing. After a while, the waiter politely asks them to leave, as other patrons have issued complaints.
CW was all huffy about it as he told the story at work. 'I am a paying customer, how can they ask me to leave?'. My DH replied 'The fact that you have a wallet doesn't mean you get to ruin the experience of other people.'

ps; as far as wel know, the couple did leave the restaurant with the baby, at least that's a good thing.