Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4397550 times)

Adelaide

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17595 on: October 20, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
I posted awhile ago in the Exchanges thread about the ridiculously good looking boy in my class-the one who was so hot that girls swung the other way and said "I don't trust him, he's too attractive". Well, apparently that's changed. The other day he and I were sitting on a bench in the library. We were sitting right up against each other because several people from our group were sitting on the same bench. There was another guy sitting on Hot Kid's opposite side.

Snowflake, the girl who has been incessantly and obviously flirting with HK since day one, was walking down the hallway and physically stopped at the sight of us as though she'd run into a sheet of glass. She quickly rushed over, shooting me the look from Hades, and wedged her things in between the random guy and Hot Kid. This backfired, as he had to place his arm around me in order to make room for her stuff. As she babbles away, Snowflake apparently decides that she needs to mark her territory. She drapes her scarf over his arm and smooths out the creases out of it, and then she starts making him hold things. Soon he has a couple of binders in one hand, Snowflake's giant purse in his lap, her scarf on one arm, and he has to remove the arm that was scrunched around me in order to hold Snowflake's venti coffee. She actually tries to get him to carry her purse (a giant, sparkly black tote) into the library but he refuses and quickly rushes over to me, acting like he has some Super Important Stuff about the assignment that he has to ask me. Snowflake tries to cut in but he shoots her down. When we exit the library Snowflake hooks her claws into him again. The last I saw they were walking into the sunset, him weighted down with half of her things and Snowflake trying to adjust the collar of his shirt.  How romantic. ::)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17596 on: October 20, 2012, 11:55:37 PM »
I posted awhile ago in the Exchanges thread about the ridiculously good looking boy in my class-the one who was so hot that girls swung the other way and said "I don't trust him, he's too attractive". Well, apparently that's changed. The other day he and I were sitting on a bench in the library. We were sitting right up against each other because several people from our group were sitting on the same bench. There was another guy sitting on Hot Kid's opposite side.

Snowflake, the girl who has been incessantly and obviously flirting with HK since day one, was walking down the hallway and physically stopped at the sight of us as though she'd run into a sheet of glass. She quickly rushed over, shooting me the look from Hades, and wedged her things in between the random guy and Hot Kid. This backfired, as he had to place his arm around me in order to make room for her stuff. As she babbles away, Snowflake apparently decides that she needs to mark her territory. She drapes her scarf over his arm and smooths out the creases out of it, and then she starts making him hold things. Soon he has a couple of binders in one hand, Snowflake's giant purse in his lap, her scarf on one arm, and he has to remove the arm that was scrunched around me in order to hold Snowflake's venti coffee. She actually tries to get him to carry her purse (a giant, sparkly black tote) into the library but he refuses and quickly rushes over to me, acting like he has some Super Important Stuff about the assignment that he has to ask me. Snowflake tries to cut in but he shoots her down. When we exit the library Snowflake hooks her claws into him again. The last I saw they were walking into the sunset, him weighted down with half of her things and Snowflake trying to adjust the collar of his shirt.  How romantic. ::)

Ridiculously hot guy is also a push over.  Maybe you could teach him the word no :)
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #17597 on: October 21, 2012, 06:09:58 AM »
One from my DH:
DH has a coworker who has a 1-year old baby. CW and wife decide to have dinner in a very chique restaurant (has 2 stars - only 18 of that level in the netherlands). They also decide to bring their 1 year along to that restaurant. Did I mention chique already? It's also expansive and you often have to book seats days or weeks in advance. The predictable happens: Baby is fussing. After a while, the waiter politely asks them to leave, as other patrons have issued complaints.
CW was all huffy about it as he told the story at work. 'I am a paying customer, how can they ask me to leave?'. My DH replied 'The fact that you have a wallet doesn't mean you get to ruin the experience of other people.'

ps; as far as wel know, the couple did leave the restaurant with the baby, at least that's a good thing.

Carotte

« Reply #17598 on: October 21, 2012, 07:57:03 AM »
My DH replied 'The fact that you have a wallet doesn't mean you get to ruin the experience of other people.'

oh, I like that answer! and good thing the restaurant actually did something, how often do you read about people having a bad time somewhere because a tight group of snowflakes are having a blizzard and management is too afraid to do anything?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17599 on: October 21, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »
Mbbored, I agree with those who say to disconnect the doorbell.  You might be able to do this by pulling a fuse or circuit breaker, depending on how your home is wired.

Perhaps you should think about getting an inexpensive cam to video your entrance.  If this horrid woman is thwarted when the doorbell doesn't work, she may pound on  the door or blow a whistle or some other action to tease your poor dog and get him to bark. 

I do agree with PP who think that the dog's barking is the motivation for ringing the doorbell.  My grandkids think the dogs are hilarious when the UPS guy or the post man come.

I too would be leery about reporting the 8 people right away.  They may be crazies who would retaliate.  If you do report them perhaps you should wait several months.

SS stuff - I saw a father racing his little daughter around Wegman's recently.  He was pushing the cart and *running as fast as he could,* and the child was shouting with laughter.  The store wasn't crowded, but this is still scary dangerous for both his daughter and others. 

I couldn't find an employee to report this, and was in too much of a hurry to walk way up front to the office.  The noise, which could be heard aisles away, finally stopped, so maybe he did meet up with an employee.  At least I didn't hear a loud crash.

I've started putting the store phone number on the top of my list, so that I can call the front desk if by any chance I encounter anyone like this again.
Could she be trying to get [size=78%]Mbbored into trouble by making her dog bark?[/size]
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #17600 on: October 21, 2012, 09:51:30 AM »
Mbbored, I agree with those who say to disconnect the doorbell.  You might be able to do this by pulling a fuse or circuit breaker, depending on how your home is wired.

Perhaps you should think about getting an inexpensive cam to video your entrance.  If this horrid woman is thwarted when the doorbell doesn't work, she may pound on  the door or blow a whistle or some other action to tease your poor dog and get him to bark. 

I do agree with PP who think that the dog's barking is the motivation for ringing the doorbell.  My grandkids think the dogs are hilarious when the UPS guy or the post man come.

I too would be leery about reporting the 8 people right away.  They may be crazies who would retaliate.  If you do report them perhaps you should wait several months.

SS stuff - I saw a father racing his little daughter around Wegman's recently.  He was pushing the cart and *running as fast as he could,* and the child was shouting with laughter.  The store wasn't crowded, but this is still scary dangerous for both his daughter and others. 

I couldn't find an employee to report this, and was in too much of a hurry to walk way up front to the office.  The noise, which could be heard aisles away, finally stopped, so maybe he did meet up with an employee.  At least I didn't hear a loud crash.

I've started putting the store phone number on the top of my list, so that I can call the front desk if by any chance I encounter anyone like this again.
Could she be trying to get [size=78%]Mbbored into trouble by making her dog bark?[/size]

Ooooh, that's interesting.  Yeah, that's a possibility.  Certainly more believable than "baby likes ringing the doorbell."

Adelaide

« Reply #17601 on: October 21, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »
Ridiculously hot guy is also a push over.  Maybe you could teach him the word no :)

I would, but it's really not my place. At this point we're acquaintances and I think it would be overstepping it if I said "You know you can say no to her, right?"

doodlemor

« Reply #17602 on: October 21, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »

That is certainly an interesting possibility.  Maybe some of the eight people want her apartment.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #17603 on: October 21, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »

I would, but it's really not my place. At this point we're acquaintances and I think it would be overstepping it if I said "You know you can say no to her, right?"

I don't think that it would be overstepping in a casual friendship for you to say that. It would probably move into overstepping if you didn't let it drop afterwards, or you kept bringing it up, but just saying it once and moving on doesn't seem out of line.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #17604 on: October 21, 2012, 12:25:20 PM »

That is certainly an interesting possibility.  Maybe some of the eight people want her apartment.

She can't get me into trouble. These are independently owned townhouses: I own mine and they rent from another owner. After speaking with my trainer, I'm looking into setting up a camera of some kind, for legal purposes.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #17605 on: October 21, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »

She can't get me into trouble. These are independently owned townhouses: I own mine and they rent from another owner. After speaking with my trainer, I'm looking into setting up a camera of some kind, for legal purposes.

Ah.  For some reason, I was picturing an HOA situation of "Barking dog = $X fine every day until it stops or you move".

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17606 on: October 21, 2012, 02:43:05 PM »
Coming home today from lunch, I was in front of a very Special Snowflake.  I was at a red light, turning right.  There's not a "no right turn on red" sign there, so I was free to turn whenever I felt it was safe.  I was waiting for a good break in traffic, and trying to figure out what one person was doing (driving slowly, turn signal on, not lane changing or turning) when the guy behind me started honking.  He probably honked five or six separate times at me in the space of a minute or two; everyone in the cars next to us was turning around to look at him!  When I looked in my rearview mirror, I could see him throwing his hands up in the air, flipping me off, gesturing at me to move, etc. 

Sorry, dude.  I'm not going to turn suddenly, possibly causing an accident, just so you can get to your exit sooner. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #17607 on: October 21, 2012, 03:42:03 PM »

But does Doorbell Woman KNOW that you own your own home?  Maybe she thinks that you rent from her landlord also.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #17608 on: October 21, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
Sorry, dude.  I'm not going to turn suddenly, possibly causing an accident, just so you can get to your exit sooner.
That seems to happen quite often to me.  Yes, I drive like a grandma!  5 grandchildren worth.  ;)

But the most impatient of the SS turning brigade has to be the young woman who pulled up behind me as I was signalling to turn left and waiting for the oncoming traffic to get past me.  She didn't want to wait for that, or go around me on the right where it would have been safe. No, she pulled around me on the LEFT, straight into the face of an oncoming car!  The other car had just enough room and just enough time to swerve onto the grass shoulder.  I couldn't tell who I heard screaming, the SS's passenger or the passenger in the oncoming car.   ::)   Really, was waiting for another 10-15 seconds THAT difficult?  Or was  the risk of being involved in a head-on collision somehow acceptable to her?
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

Margo

« Reply #17609 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:17 AM »
Elfmama, I had one like that a little while back.

There were temporary traffic lights as there were roadworks. It was on a fairly narrow road (space for one car in each direction, with no verges or pavements) one side of the road was closed completely as they were repairing the retaining wall holding up the road.

Traffic lights turned red as I approached so I slowed down and stopped. Guy behind decided to pull out, accelrate past me and through the red light. Did I mention it was a completely blind bend?

I couldn't see what happened, but I heard a lot of honking, and the driver of first vehicle which came the other way (a large and battered looking truck) was shaking his head.

In a touch of instant karma, aqbout 1/2 mile further on I say the same car in a field by the road, with a distinctly bent looking front end. I'm guessing he assumed that the 'slow' and 'sharp bend' and 'warning, adverse camber' signs didn't apply to him, either. (he wasn't hurt - he was out of the car looking angry when I passed. But I don't think the car was going to go anywhere without a winch and a tow truck) And he probably had to walk quite some way to pick up a phone signal.