Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5758331 times)

Carotte

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17595 on: October 21, 2012, 07:57:03 AM »
My DH replied 'The fact that you have a wallet doesn't mean you get to ruin the experience of other people.'

oh, I like that answer! and good thing the restaurant actually did something, how often do you read about people having a bad time somewhere because a tight group of snowflakes are having a blizzard and management is too afraid to do anything?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17596 on: October 21, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »
Mbbored, I agree with those who say to disconnect the doorbell.  You might be able to do this by pulling a fuse or circuit breaker, depending on how your home is wired.

Perhaps you should think about getting an inexpensive cam to video your entrance.  If this horrid woman is thwarted when the doorbell doesn't work, she may pound on  the door or blow a whistle or some other action to tease your poor dog and get him to bark. 

I do agree with PP who think that the dog's barking is the motivation for ringing the doorbell.  My grandkids think the dogs are hilarious when the UPS guy or the post man come.

I too would be leery about reporting the 8 people right away.  They may be crazies who would retaliate.  If you do report them perhaps you should wait several months.

SS stuff - I saw a father racing his little daughter around Wegman's recently.  He was pushing the cart and *running as fast as he could,* and the child was shouting with laughter.  The store wasn't crowded, but this is still scary dangerous for both his daughter and others. 

I couldn't find an employee to report this, and was in too much of a hurry to walk way up front to the office.  The noise, which could be heard aisles away, finally stopped, so maybe he did meet up with an employee.  At least I didn't hear a loud crash.

I've started putting the store phone number on the top of my list, so that I can call the front desk if by any chance I encounter anyone like this again.
Could she be trying to get [size=78%]Mbbored into trouble by making her dog bark?[/size]
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #17597 on: October 21, 2012, 09:51:30 AM »
Mbbored, I agree with those who say to disconnect the doorbell.  You might be able to do this by pulling a fuse or circuit breaker, depending on how your home is wired.

Perhaps you should think about getting an inexpensive cam to video your entrance.  If this horrid woman is thwarted when the doorbell doesn't work, she may pound on  the door or blow a whistle or some other action to tease your poor dog and get him to bark. 

I do agree with PP who think that the dog's barking is the motivation for ringing the doorbell.  My grandkids think the dogs are hilarious when the UPS guy or the post man come.

I too would be leery about reporting the 8 people right away.  They may be crazies who would retaliate.  If you do report them perhaps you should wait several months.

SS stuff - I saw a father racing his little daughter around Wegman's recently.  He was pushing the cart and *running as fast as he could,* and the child was shouting with laughter.  The store wasn't crowded, but this is still scary dangerous for both his daughter and others. 

I couldn't find an employee to report this, and was in too much of a hurry to walk way up front to the office.  The noise, which could be heard aisles away, finally stopped, so maybe he did meet up with an employee.  At least I didn't hear a loud crash.

I've started putting the store phone number on the top of my list, so that I can call the front desk if by any chance I encounter anyone like this again.
Could she be trying to get [size=78%]Mbbored into trouble by making her dog bark?[/size]

Ooooh, that's interesting.  Yeah, that's a possibility.  Certainly more believable than "baby likes ringing the doorbell."

Adelaide

« Reply #17598 on: October 21, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »
Ridiculously hot guy is also a push over.  Maybe you could teach him the word no :)

I would, but it's really not my place. At this point we're acquaintances and I think it would be overstepping it if I said "You know you can say no to her, right?"

doodlemor

« Reply #17599 on: October 21, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »

That is certainly an interesting possibility.  Maybe some of the eight people want her apartment.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #17600 on: October 21, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »
Ridiculously hot guy is also a push over.  Maybe you could teach him the word no :)

I would, but it's really not my place. At this point we're acquaintances and I think it would be overstepping it if I said "You know you can say no to her, right?"

I don't think that it would be overstepping in a casual friendship for you to say that. It would probably move into overstepping if you didn't let it drop afterwards, or you kept bringing it up, but just saying it once and moving on doesn't seem out of line.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #17601 on: October 21, 2012, 12:25:20 PM »

That is certainly an interesting possibility.  Maybe some of the eight people want her apartment.

She can't get me into trouble. These are independently owned townhouses: I own mine and they rent from another owner. After speaking with my trainer, I'm looking into setting up a camera of some kind, for legal purposes.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #17602 on: October 21, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »

She can't get me into trouble. These are independently owned townhouses: I own mine and they rent from another owner. After speaking with my trainer, I'm looking into setting up a camera of some kind, for legal purposes.

Ah.  For some reason, I was picturing an HOA situation of "Barking dog = $X fine every day until it stops or you move".

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17603 on: October 21, 2012, 02:43:05 PM »
Coming home today from lunch, I was in front of a very Special Snowflake.  I was at a red light, turning right.  There's not a "no right turn on red" sign there, so I was free to turn whenever I felt it was safe.  I was waiting for a good break in traffic, and trying to figure out what one person was doing (driving slowly, turn signal on, not lane changing or turning) when the guy behind me started honking.  He probably honked five or six separate times at me in the space of a minute or two; everyone in the cars next to us was turning around to look at him!  When I looked in my rearview mirror, I could see him throwing his hands up in the air, flipping me off, gesturing at me to move, etc. 

Sorry, dude.  I'm not going to turn suddenly, possibly causing an accident, just so you can get to your exit sooner. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17604 on: October 21, 2012, 03:42:03 PM »

But does Doorbell Woman KNOW that you own your own home?  Maybe she thinks that you rent from her landlord also.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17605 on: October 21, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
Sorry, dude.  I'm not going to turn suddenly, possibly causing an accident, just so you can get to your exit sooner.
That seems to happen quite often to me.  Yes, I drive like a grandma!  5 grandchildren worth.  ;)

But the most impatient of the SS turning brigade has to be the young woman who pulled up behind me as I was signalling to turn left and waiting for the oncoming traffic to get past me.  She didn't want to wait for that, or go around me on the right where it would have been safe. No, she pulled around me on the LEFT, straight into the face of an oncoming car!  The other car had just enough room and just enough time to swerve onto the grass shoulder.  I couldn't tell who I heard screaming, the SS's passenger or the passenger in the oncoming car.   ::)   Really, was waiting for another 10-15 seconds THAT difficult?  Or was  the risk of being involved in a head-on collision somehow acceptable to her?
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Margo

« Reply #17606 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:17 AM »
Elfmama, I had one like that a little while back.

There were temporary traffic lights as there were roadworks. It was on a fairly narrow road (space for one car in each direction, with no verges or pavements) one side of the road was closed completely as they were repairing the retaining wall holding up the road.

Traffic lights turned red as I approached so I slowed down and stopped. Guy behind decided to pull out, accelrate past me and through the red light. Did I mention it was a completely blind bend?

I couldn't see what happened, but I heard a lot of honking, and the driver of first vehicle which came the other way (a large and battered looking truck) was shaking his head.

In a touch of instant karma, aqbout 1/2 mile further on I say the same car in a field by the road, with a distinctly bent looking front end. I'm guessing he assumed that the 'slow' and 'sharp bend' and 'warning, adverse camber' signs didn't apply to him, either. (he wasn't hurt - he was out of the car looking angry when I passed. But I don't think the car was going to go anywhere without a winch and a tow truck) And he probably had to walk quite some way to pick up a phone signal.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #17607 on: October 22, 2012, 09:53:34 AM »
That seems to happen quite often to me.  Yes, I drive like a grandma!  5 grandchildren worth.  ;)

But the most impatient of the SS turning brigade has to be the young woman who pulled up behind me as I was signalling to turn left and waiting for the oncoming traffic to get past me.  She didn't want to wait for that, or go around me on the right where it would have been safe. No, she pulled around me on the LEFT, straight into the face of an oncoming car!  The other car had just enough room and just enough time to swerve onto the grass shoulder.  I couldn't tell who I heard screaming, the SS's passenger or the passenger in the oncoming car.   ::)   Really, was waiting for another 10-15 seconds THAT difficult?  Or was  the risk of being involved in a head-on collision somehow acceptable to her?

Speaking of driving like a grandma....

DH and I recently inherited an early-90's Buick from an elderly relative who has decided not to drive anymore. This beast of an automobile just screams "blue hair who can't see over the steering wheel". It's ridiculous and huge and looks like a stereotypical grandma-mobile, not a vehicle normally driven by a sassy 30-something. ;) We have both noticed, independently of each other, that when we are driving it and preparing to make a turn or any other maneuver that *requires* slowing down, other drivers honk at us. It doesn't happen in either of our sporty, youthful-looking 2-door coupes we normally drive. We can only guess that they see the car, assume it's an elderly person driving, and just become total jerks who are impatient at the thought of being stuck behind a slow grandma, even if that "slow grandma" is 30 years old and doing something completely reasonable like slowing down to a safe speed before making a turn.  ::)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #17608 on: October 22, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
Mr. Sirius once told me about stopping his school bus at a railroad crossing that had the crossing arms down and a train was visibly coming...and two bicyclists rode through the downed crossing arms and went on their merry way. 

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #17609 on: October 22, 2012, 02:54:05 PM »
This thread is bad for me.  ;D

I have been indexing documents all morning and several have an ID code of SS.
Now, in this context SS stands for "Structural Steel", but it makes me do a bit of a double take every time one pops up!