Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4391224 times)

EMuir

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17865 on: November 05, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »

Pink ALL of the things!

I just saw pink kitty litter. Where will it end?

My favorite traffic special snowflake: Someone stopped in the left turn lane while the light is green, signalling right because they accidentally went left and want to change their mind, but traffic is moving too quickly to let them back into the lane they want. Extra points if they do this while their lane's flashing left arrow is on.  JUST GO AROUND THE BLOCK.

LB

« Reply #17866 on: November 05, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
I had kind of an amusing Special Snowflake today. While I can sympathize with her, I just couldn't give her what she was asking for.

I answer phone calls and act as a central operator for a mental health treatment clinic. I normally just schedule appointments, and transfer calls to voicemails (because counselors are usually meeting with clients). But if a person calls in crisis I can get them in touch with a counselor over the phone.

A lady called today wanting to talk to somebody about how to deal with her mother in law. I told her if she had an emergency situation, I could certainly connect her with someone right away, otherwise, I could schedule an appointment for her to come in.

She got upset that I wouldn't just transfer her to someone to talk to for about "how to deal" with her mother in law. I repeated the above information, adding that all the other counselors were in meetings with clients, and if she were speaking with a crisis counselor, it would make that person unavailable for other calls. We don't have counselors available just to take non-emergency calls from people who are not clients. I offered again to make her an appointment.

She replied "Thanks for nothing!" and hung up on me.

The reasons she needed advice for dealing with her mother in law? "She's nosy, and at dinner last night she picked out of a serving dish with her fingers."

What I really wanted to tell her: " I know this great website, where you can get lots of great advice!"
 ;)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17867 on: November 05, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »
Wulfie wrote:

"Unfortunately as their lease is with the other company and not my company I can't do a darn thing about it.  Their management agency is a joke and as long as the commercial tenants pay their rent, they don't really enforce many of the other rules. We had to get the fire department to come in and have them cited as they had the elevator equipment room blocked.   Here in Seattle terminating a lease is next to impossible unless the tenant is willing to go. You can't simply not renew a lease, you have to get a court ordered eviction."

Put a surveillance camera pointing at the door, and then charge the management company a fee every time the alarm needs to be deactivated for a false alarm.  I'd bet that their management company will deal with the problem when it starts costing them money.

Virg

doodlemor

« Reply #17868 on: November 05, 2012, 02:34:21 PM »
...   One of the businesses is a tutoring center run by a small non-profit in the area.  We have had ongoing issues with them letting the kids run through the back hallway unsupervised and without rules. They scream and play in the hallway as if it was a playground and they have set off the door alarm more times than I can count.  ...

I do realize that your issue is with the property manager, but what's with that Tutoring Center?  If these problems with the kids totally misbehaving virtually all the time has not been addressed by them, I'd cut their lease off at the earliest possible moment.  What kind of tutors just let the kids run wild and unsupervised?  If they can't control their students any better than that it's hard to believe that there's much actual teaching/learning going on. 

What if one of those kids becomes badly injured?  What if someday there really IS a fire and the fire department just ignores it on the 'boy who cried wolf' basis?  That's really a dangerous situation.  I know we aren't allowed to discuss legalities on here, but that's just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

This concerns me greatly, too.  It seems like there must be somebody you could report this to, before something terrible happens to those unsupervised children. 

When the accident happens, the parents are going to be looking for people to sue.  You need to cover yourself, and your company.  Make sure that you have some sort of documentation.

I love Virg's idea, too.  Paying for their problems will likely get their attention.  A camera in the hallway will show exactly what if going on there.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #17869 on: November 05, 2012, 02:51:59 PM »
I had the pleasure of nearly hitting a Special Snowflake this morning. I was driving along an almost-highway and approaching an intersection (with a green light). I note that there's a gentleman who is considering crossing the street without using either the crosswalk or pushing the cross button to at least get the lights in his favor. Instead, he makes eye contact with me as I am driving down the left lane at 40mph and then RUNS across the right lane.

TBH, the jaywalking wouldn't have bothered me at all (hey, it's Boston), but when his feet touched the left lane, he apparently ran completely out of energy and made the rest of his crossing at a slow walk, despite the fact that I was hurtling toward him at a fairly high speed. Luckily my foot was already on the brakes because I anticipated some idiodicy. I was able to see his smirk in my peripheral view as I passed him.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

dinvancouver

« Reply #17870 on: November 06, 2012, 12:53:03 AM »
I just had a fanfic-related case.  I checked my emails this morning, and found a PM in my inbox that said, "If you don't finish this story by the end of the week, I'll finish it for you."  It's the same person who threatened to falsely report my unfinished stories to get them removed from the site.  *sigh* I thought I was done dealing with this loonie.  ::)  Just reported her (at least, I think it's a her by the SN) to the website for harassment, and hopefully that will be that...

Are you over on fanfiction.net?  I've had the comment thing happen to me.  It's one of the reasons that I've left the site and am over on the Ao3 now.

Off topic....thank you x 10!
I just spent 3 hours on Ao3
So maybe I shouldn't be thanking you. Kidding!! 
Are there any other super secret good fanfic sites?
Now I must resist until AFTER surgery so I have stuff to read.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #17871 on: November 06, 2012, 01:44:25 AM »
I just had a fanfic-related case.  I checked my emails this morning, and found a PM in my inbox that said, "If you don't finish this story by the end of the week, I'll finish it for you."  It's the same person who threatened to falsely report my unfinished stories to get them removed from the site.  *sigh* I thought I was done dealing with this loonie.  ::)  Just reported her (at least, I think it's a her by the SN) to the website for harassment, and hopefully that will be that...

Are you over on fanfiction.net?  I've had the comment thing happen to me.  It's one of the reasons that I've left the site and am over on the Ao3 now.

You're welcome!  :D  I don't think I know any others.  I found out about Ao3 because one of the big bangs I participated in said that we had to upload to it.  So I got a code and an account. 

If you need a code, PM me and I'll throw one your way.  This goes for anybody else who wants an Ao3 account. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17872 on: November 06, 2012, 07:14:31 AM »

You're welcome!  :D  I don't think I know any others.  I found out about Ao3 because one of the big bangs I participated in said that we had to upload to it.  So I got a code and an account. 

If you need a code, PM me and I'll throw one your way.  This goes for anybody else who wants an Ao3 account.
Darn. Where were you five months ago when I had to sit in a mind boggling long queue (four month wait) to get my account?   ;)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

suzieQ

« Reply #17873 on: November 06, 2012, 07:30:55 AM »
I had the pleasure of nearly hitting a Special Snowflake this morning. I was driving along an almost-highway and approaching an intersection (with a green light). I note that there's a gentleman who is considering crossing the street without using either the crosswalk or pushing the cross button to at least get the lights in his favor. Instead, he makes eye contact with me as I am driving down the left lane at 40mph and then RUNS across the right lane.

TBH, the jaywalking wouldn't have bothered me at all (hey, it's Boston), but when his feet touched the left lane, he apparently ran completely out of energy and made the rest of his crossing at a slow walk, despite the fact that I was hurtling toward him at a fairly high speed. Luckily my foot was already on the brakes because I anticipated some idiodicy. I was able to see his smirk in my peripheral view as I passed him.

Well if he keeps that up (and I believe he will) he will get a Darwin award. What an idiot.

Perfect Circle

• The followers of chaos, out of control
« Reply #17874 on: November 06, 2012, 08:07:22 AM »
I commute to central London every day for work.  Recently the trains on my line were changed to more modern ones with more open space but less seating. This sometimes means that although I live on one of the last stations on the line, there are no seats left by the time it gets to my station and I end up having to stand all the way to London and closer to town it can get rather tight in the train.

This morning on the station after mine a family got in - a man, woman and a small child in a stroller. The father parked the stroller sideways in the middle of the carriage door area and the mother decided to sit on the floor next to it. And she would not move or get up. As we were getting closer to London more and more people piled in and had to start trying to step over her as she was sitting with her legs stretched in front of her.

I understand standing is a pain for the journey, but come on. You cannot take up the space of five, six people just for your own convenience.
In all this talk of time
Talk is fine
But I don't want to stay around
Why can't we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17875 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:15 AM »
This is a follow-up to the person who drove on the sidewalk to avoid waiting for the school bus.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/06/ohio-woman-who-drove-on-sidewalk-to-avoid-school-bus-ordered-to-wear-idiot-sign/?test=latestnews

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17876 on: November 06, 2012, 08:52:33 AM »
This is a follow-up to the person who drove on the sidewalk to avoid waiting for the school bus.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/06/ohio-woman-who-drove-on-sidewalk-to-avoid-school-bus-ordered-to-wear-idiot-sign/?test=latestnews

Hopefully she learns something from this whole thing. Interesting punishment, too..I'm sure it will be pretty humiliating to have to wear that sign.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17877 on: November 06, 2012, 09:01:02 AM »
I'd refuse to wear it!  :o  Then again, I wouldn't be driving up on the sidewalk, either.  ;D

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17878 on: November 06, 2012, 09:02:53 AM »
I'd refuse to wear it!  :o  Then again, I wouldn't be driving up on the sidewalk, either.  ;D

In this case I think the punishment does fit the crime. Do a dumb, dangerous thing and you kind of deserve to be embarrassed like that about it.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17879 on: November 06, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
Very true.