Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5626394 times)

BusyBee

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17880 on: November 06, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »
She only lost her license for 30 days  :o

Huh, I can't agree with the punishment. It seems too harsh and too lenient. I do not agree with public humiliation. It too scarlet letter for me. But I don't think she should be driving for a long time. Driving is a privilege not a right.

Also, the shameless cannot be shamed.

I agree - that deserves more fines, more suspension, and less attempt at humiliation.

MissRose

« Reply #17881 on: November 06, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »
I have a problem with the public humiliation.  It is only a matter of time before the pictures and videos of her standing there with the sign are put on the internet, and 20 years from now, when she has hopefully learned her lesson and is trying to forget, her descendants will be seeing those images.  Humiliation lasts forever these days. 

Absolutely agree with any fines or tickets though!

I so agree with the public humiliation.  I think if those who committed similar snowflakey acts and found guilty in a court of law like hers should serve a similar sentence.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #17882 on: November 06, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »
The problem I have with shaming punishments is that they have to be tailored to the individual and thus, by definition, lack objectivity.

dinvancouver

« Reply #17883 on: November 06, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »
I just had a fanfic-related case.  I checked my emails this morning, and found a PM in my inbox that said, "If you don't finish this story by the end of the week, I'll finish it for you."  It's the same person who threatened to falsely report my unfinished stories to get them removed from the site.  *sigh* I thought I was done dealing with this loonie.  ::)  Just reported her (at least, I think it's a her by the SN) to the website for harassment, and hopefully that will be that...

Are you over on fanfiction.net?  I've had the comment thing happen to me.  It's one of the reasons that I've left the site and am over on the Ao3 now.

Off topic....thank you x 10!
I just spent 3 hours on Ao3
So maybe I shouldn't be thanking you. Kidding!! 
Are there any other super secret good fanfic sites?
Now I must resist until AFTER surgery so I have stuff to read.

You're welcome!  :D  I don't think I know any others.  I found out about Ao3 because one of the big bangs I participated in said that we had to upload to it.  So I got a code and an account. 

If you need a code, PM me and I'll throw one your way.  This goes for anybody else who wants an Ao3 account.

"Big bang"? You participated in the beginning of the universe? :-D
Are the codes just needed if you are submitting a story?  I didn't notice anything while I was reading. If it is just for submitting than thank you but no. I am most definitely NOT a writer. Wish I could write well, but...no.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17884 on: November 06, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »
Saw someone in a black Lexus with handicapped tags this morning.....running three stop signs, including a left turn across three lanes of traffic to get into the center turn lane - it seems that when they were about to get to the stop sign, there was a gap in traffic and they just couldn't WAIT long enough to observe that STOP at the STOP sign or they'd miss their turn.....

Sadly, they apparently live in my neighborhood - so I might be running into them again.....I just hope that they don't run into ME!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

mmswm

« Reply #17885 on: November 06, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
The boys had appointments with one of their orthopedic surgeons this morning.  Their doctors' clinic is actually in the hospital.  To get in, you first have to stop by security and get a badge.  Then you have to go wait in line at registration.  Once you get to the front of the line, they tell you which window to go to.  The people at these windows only do registration stuff.  They do not schedule appointments. That's done by a different area.  So, I finally get to the window to register.  I sit down and the lady is on the phone with an SS.  Of course, I cannot hear the other side of the conversation, but the poor registration woman was tearing her hair out.  From what I able to discern, the SS's child had an appointment this morning but could not make the appointment time.  She wanted to reschedule for later in the day.  The registration lady first tried to transfer her to the right department.  The person on the other side of the phone apparently didn't want that.  The RL then tried to look into the schedule.  Of course, since she doesn't work in that department, she's not as familiar with the software, and was a bit on the slow side.  That should be expected, but apparently wasn't good enough for the person on the phone.  RL was nice, and apologized, and explained about not working in scheduling and that she was doing her best to help the person.  It turns out that there are no open appointments with the specific doctor this afternoon.  RL tries to explain that to the person on the phone, and told her she was welcome to come in and wait, and they would work her child in when they could, but that was apparently not good enough.  After repeating herself several times, she finally just said there was nothing else she could do, and hung up. Meanwhile, I'm sitting there the whole time, waiting for the SS to realize that she's not talking to the right person or just accept that she'd have to take her chances on being worked in.  Even though I'd arrived 30 minutes early, I was nearly late because of this person.  I was definitely a bit irritated.   
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Jocelyn

« Reply #17886 on: November 06, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
I have a problem with the public humiliation.  It is only a matter of time before the pictures and videos of her standing there with the sign are put on the internet, and 20 years from now, when she has hopefully learned her lesson and is trying to forget, her descendants will be seeing those images.  Humiliation lasts forever these days. 

I so agree with the public humiliation.  I think if those who committed similar snowflakey acts and found guilty in a court of law like hers should serve a similar sentence.
I question whether the sentence is legal, without the consent of the sentenced. Cruel and unusual, and all that.
It may be a plea-bargain, where she was offered a chance to wear the sign for 2 days and only lose her license for 30 days, versus a much longer period of losing her license and no sign.
If this were the case, I figure it's fair enough, and if she doesn't stop to think about the persistence of memory on the Internet, well... that's her attorney's job to point that out.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17887 on: November 06, 2012, 08:50:19 PM »
Unfortunately as their lease is with the other company and not my company I can't do a darn thing about it.  Their management agency is a joke and as long as the commercial tenants pay their rent, they don't really enforce many of the other rules. We had to get the fire department to come in and have them cited as they had the elevator equipment room blocked.   Here in Seattle terminating a lease is next to impossible unless the tenant is willing to go. You can't simply not renew a lease, you have to get a court ordered eviction.

We have brought up the same issues last summer when they had a summer camp where the kids were dropped off as early as 6am. They were running and screaming through the hallways and more than once I came in at 7am to the door alarm going off.  The response from the tutoring company was that their culture (Northern Africa) doesn't allow discipline of the children before the age of 7.
Are they licenced through the state or county. I would report them for child neglect to the proper agency.  Or call crusading journalist to come film the "excellent tutoring in vandalism and general disrespect of others"[size=78%]Don't evict them just get them shut down.[/size]
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

MyFamily

« Reply #17888 on: November 06, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »

The flaw in your argument is that the video of what she did is viral; and because of that, of course some news agency would do a follow-up on her punishment, so therefore her horrible decision to drive on a sidewalk was already destined to become something that would forever be found on-line and linked to her name.  Her punishment doesn't change this or make it more memorable or more humiliating for her descendants to see - her intial act took care of that. 

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Minmom3

« Reply #17889 on: November 06, 2012, 08:56:34 PM »
This is a follow-up to the person who drove on the sidewalk to avoid waiting for the school bus.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/06/ohio-woman-who-drove-on-sidewalk-to-avoid-school-bus-ordered-to-wear-idiot-sign/?test=latestnews

Two whole days?!  Big whoop....  Not enough, she could easily have really hurt somebody.  Two days is nothing.  She'll put on the sign board, and stare at the ground.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Jones

« Reply #17890 on: November 06, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
This is a follow-up to the person who drove on the sidewalk to avoid waiting for the school bus.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/06/ohio-woman-who-drove-on-sidewalk-to-avoid-school-bus-ordered-to-wear-idiot-sign/?test=latestnews

Two whole days?!  Big whoop....  Not enough, she could easily have really hurt somebody.  Two days is nothing.  She'll put on the sign board, and stare at the ground.
Not even whole days, just an hour each day.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #17891 on: November 06, 2012, 10:41:13 PM »

I question whether the sentence is legal, without the consent of the sentenced. Cruel and unusual, and all that.
It may be a plea-bargain, where she was offered a chance to wear the sign for 2 days and only lose her license for 30 days, versus a much longer period of losing her license and no sign.
If this were the case, I figure it's fair enough, and if she doesn't stop to think about the persistence of memory on the Internet, well... that's her attorney's job to point that out.

It is completely legal in a number of jurisdictions; it is most often used with juveniles but has been used for many cases with adults.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Spriggy

« Reply #17892 on: November 07, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
I finally have one for this thread!!

At work we have a mail person whose entire job consits of going to the bank twice a day, picking up and delivering inter-office mail and going to the post office when needed.

I had 8 packages that I am sending express overnight mail via the US Post Office.  The packages are already labeled, sealed and ready to go.  He just asked me if I could please Fed-Ex the packages, because he didn't want to go wait in line at the Post Office.

Ummm - that's your job?!?!  And I'm not going to take the time to find the correct Fed-Ex envelopes, create 8 new mailing labels, etc. etc. just because you don't want to wait in line!!

Spriggy

« Reply #17893 on: November 07, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »

At work we have a mail person whose entire job consits of going to the bank twice a day, picking up and delivering inter-office mail and going to the post office when needed.

I had 8 packages that I am sending express overnight mail via the US Post Office.  The packages are already labeled, sealed and ready to go.  He just asked me if I could please Fed-Ex the packages, because he didn't want to go wait in line at the Post Office.

Ummm - that's your job?!?!  And I'm not going to take the time to find the correct Fed-Ex envelopes, create 8 new mailing labels, etc. etc. just because you don't want to wait in line!!

Man, I already have a follow up - and now we're getting dangerously close to Professional Darwinism territory. 

Our mail person sent a follow up email to my boss and I indicating that it is slightly more expensive to use Fed-Ex but "it would be worth it to not have to stand in line at the Post Office".

Still don't care - do your job!

Jones

« Reply #17894 on: November 07, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »

Man, I already have a follow up - and now we're getting dangerously close to Professional Darwinism territory. 

Our mail person sent a follow up email to my boss and I indicating that it is slightly more expensive to use Fed-Ex but "it would be worth it to not have to stand in line at the Post Office".

Still don't care - do your job!

**HEADDESK**
The employer is budgeted to pay this person to work an X-hour day, there or in line at the post office; a "slightly more expensive" expenditure is still paying something more than already budgeted...gah.