Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4392281 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18165 on: November 28, 2012, 12:32:35 PM »
Same job, almost the exact same location just in front of our office instead of the resturant next door, different SS driver. One of my co-workers was riding his motorcycle into work. He was suddenly catapulted off his bike and along the pavement under the cars stopped at the stoplight. The reason? A SS driver suddenly opened his door into oncoming traffic and knocked CW off. Thank all that is holy that the driver of the car that he ended up under realized that something had happened and stayed stopped, if he had driven off when the light turned green, CW would have been killed. SS driver was really mad when he got arrested for the accident and made to pay for all the damage to CW bike and his medical bills.

SS driver tried to sue CW for the damage to his car but it was laughed out of court. CW hung his helmet and ripped up bike leathers up in his office as a reminder on how precious life is and how easy it could have all changed at no fault of his.

This is a not uncommon way for cyclists to get injured as well. That's why I make a point of always opening car doors with the opposite hand: it forces me to turn and look over my shoulder as I open the door.

AliciaLynette

« Reply #18166 on: November 28, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »
With referenced to the elderly drivers, when I was a teen, one of the elderly sisters that lived up the road from us managed to mistake the accelerator (gas) for the brake, and ploughed through the garage door.  The entire garage had to be re-built, and she was stopped from driving.  Luckily she wasn't badly hurt, but she was the only person in that house who was still driving at the time, so other neighbours had to rally round to make sure the sisters could run errands/gets to appointments etc.

And here in the UK, there is at least a requirement that at the age of 70 onwards, a driver must retake their test every year to ensure they're still capable.  Sometimes I think retests should be required every 5 or ten years, because the number of bad habits my DH has picked up after 12 years driving is ridiculus!  As a non-driver, I frequently thank the Heavens that I'm a pedestrian and can dodge down alleys/footpaths away from cars!!
Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners.
Author Unknown

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18167 on: November 28, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »
I can’t remember if I posted this one or not. I was at lunch with a bunch of co-workers one day and this car kept hitting the front bumper of the car behind him and the rear bumper of the car in front of him as he was trying to parallel park into a space in front of the restaurant. One of the car owners  came running out to his car and yelled that the driver was hitting the two cars repeatedly. The SS driver’s response “I know, there is not enough room for me to park without hitting them”.  “I know, there was not enough room” became a common thread of jokes in the office after that.

Same job, almost the exact same location just in front of our office instead of the resturant next door, different SS driver. One of my co-workers was riding his motorcycle into work. He was suddenly catapulted off his bike and along the pavement under the cars stopped at the stoplight. The reason? A SS driver suddenly opened his door into oncoming traffic and knocked CW off. Thank all that is holy that the driver of the car that he ended up under realized that something had happened and stayed stopped, if he had driven off when the light turned green, CW would have been killed. SS driver was really mad when he got arrested for the accident and made to pay for all the damage to CW bike and his medical bills.

SS driver tried to sue CW for the damage to his car but it was laughed out of court. CW hung his helmet and ripped up bike leathers up in his office as a reminder on how precious life is and how easy it could have all changed at no fault of his.

In my area, we have had three motorcyclists killed in the last week due to the other driver's cutting into their paths.

Shalamar

« Reply #18168 on: November 28, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »
Someone hit my car once because he got the brake and gas confused - he was a young-ish guy, too.  He said that his kids distracted him.

Another time, someone who was parked in front of me outside a school backed right into me, despite my frantic honking.  His reason?  "I didn't see you."  Yeah, you didn't even look, didja buddy?

We've often joked that our little Toyota Echo is an accident magnet.  We've had at least five accidents since we bought it in 2006, and none of them have been our fault.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #18169 on: November 28, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »
Someone hit my car once because he got the brake and gas confused - he was a young-ish guy, too.  He said that his kids distracted him.

Another time, someone who was parked in front of me outside a school backed right into me, despite my frantic honking.  His reason?  "I didn't see you."  Yeah, you didn't even look, didja buddy?

We've often joked that our little Toyota Echo is an accident magnet.  We've had at least five accidents since we bought it in 2006, and none of them have been our fault.

I was having the "no looking" problem last year.  At least 3 times, I'd be driving down the street behind another car.  They'd stop, so I'd stop.  Then they'd just pop their car into reverse and start backing up without looking.  (for the record, I was not tailgating, there was plenty of room between us.  I just couldn't go anywhere because of the cars behind me.)

And this is how I found out our car horn was dead.   >:(   It happened 2 more times but we got the horn fixed and I was able to alert them before there was any impact.  But who does that?

Another sort of SS we seem to have are the ones are going N/S on Perpendicular Street, turn onto My Street (one-way) and then reverse suddenly so they can back out of My Street and go in the other direction on Perpendicular Street.  They don't look either and I've seen a few cars turning in behind them get crunched.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #18170 on: November 28, 2012, 01:59:16 PM »
All these parking stories reminded me of one from a few years back.

I was at a convention that never had enough parking at the hotel, so finding a spot was tough. As I drove up, a woman came out of the door of the hotel and was walking towards her car. I rolled down the window to see if she was leaving, but she didn't hear me as she didn't answer my question, just hopped into a car. I hear the car immediately start, so I figured I was in luck and could take her parking spot. But she didn't move. At the moment, no one was behind me, so I decided just to wait and see. She still didn't move, and finally someone did drive up behind me so I couldn't block the lane anymore. I started forward, and another group came out, saw me, and told me they were leaving if I wanted their spot. It was about 3 spots forward from the not leaving woman. As they backed up, so did she!

I was directly behind her spot at this point with no where to move. The leaving car prevented me from moving forward and there was a car behind me. I honked and honked and waved my hand out my open window, but she wasn't stopping. She did stop just before plowing into the side of my car. She pulled back into her space. I took the space of the other group and the car behind me got this woman's space.

I just couldn't believe that she would back up without looking. This covention was always packed with people of all ages and there could well have been people walking through the parking lot. Not to mention cars driving past.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18171 on: November 28, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »

And here in the UK, there is at least a requirement that at the age of 70 onwards, a driver must retake their test every year to ensure they're still capable.

Really?  I thought that idea has been shelved.

faithlessone

« Reply #18172 on: November 28, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »

And here in the UK, there is at least a requirement that at the age of 70 onwards, a driver must retake their test every year to ensure they're still capable.

It's a common misconception. You have to renew your licence at 70, but you are not required to retake your test. You need to get your eyes checked, and confirm that you have sufficient eyesight to drive, but that's it.

There was a big call for it a couple of years ago, but the law never got changed.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18173 on: November 28, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
Here in Ontario, drivers have to do the written test every two years when they reach the age of 80.

I'm a little worried my Dad won't be able to pass the test because he is (diagnosed only by me) dyslexic.  But I've found out that the City my brother lives in will give the test orally so if Dad's town isn't equipped to do that, maybe he can take the test in my brother's city.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18174 on: November 28, 2012, 03:39:57 PM »
Speaking of getting eyes checked, it kind of makes me laugh that my license says I have to wear glasses or lenses to drive.  I have such a strong prescription I wouldn't even be able to find my car without them!

selkiewoman

« Reply #18175 on: November 28, 2012, 03:43:37 PM »
Next-town-over is having their winter carnival this weekend, featuring a 'Suzie Snowflake' pageant.  Sometimes it's good to have only grandsons.

Iris

« Reply #18176 on: November 28, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »

It's a common misconception. You have to renew your licence at 70, but you are not required to retake your test. You need to get your eyes checked, and confirm that you have sufficient eyesight to drive, but that's it.

There was a big call for it a couple of years ago, but the law never got changed.

There was a big push for it here in NSW (Australia) a few years ago, plus a proposal that seniors be made to wear "S" plates on their cars. The leading motoring group got VERY irate because, all these stories aside, seniors cause far FEWER serious accidents than most other age groups. You do have to have a medical though.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

icfrugal2

« Reply #18177 on: November 28, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »
She has a neurological condition that causes her heart rate to spike and her blood pressure to drop (yeah, I don't get it either) any time she physically exerts herself or gets excited.  This means that even standing up out of a chair can cause her to pass out.

I'm not a doctor (and I don't even play one on TV), but if you look at it the other way (her blood pressure drops, and then her heart rate speeds up to try to compensate but it doesn't work it kind of makes sense.

It does make sense. Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate. When your blood pressure drops the heart has to work harder to keep blood circulating to appropriately perfuse your tissues and it can only do this in so many ways, the easier being speeding up.

I know it's terrifying to lose independence like that, but driving like that might just be itching for a Darwin Award.

I saw a story on the news this morning where an elderly woman confused the gas for the brake and drove right through the front windows of a store...narrowly missing the owner's 16month old son who walked right in front of the door seconds before she plowed through it. Miraculously, the toddler is fine, as is the woman, but she will lose her license and her car.

I hate the idea of losing my freedom when I'm older but I would hate to have the death of another living being on my conscience even more.

A friend just told me this story, it happened yesterday.

Long story short she was exiting from the freeway and a car was coming toward her. (Going the wrong way trying to enter the freeway from the off ramp.) The person realized what they were doing and was able to turn around.

My friend was following the car thinking, that car looks like moms car, and then thinking that person looks like mom.

Mom it was, her mother is 80. My friend caught up with her and told her that there would be changes; her mother told her that she knew that.

So now my friend and her family are taking the car away and making arrangements to drive mom everywhere she needs to go.

Thank everyone that it is turning out ok. but very scary.

IC

MyFamily

« Reply #18178 on: November 28, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
I work in a high school that has a very specific population.  Our school's seniors make and sell pizzas as a fundraiser about 6 times during the year for their end-of-the-year trip.  The 8th graders at the elementary school that is also for this same population also does pizza for their end-of-the-year trip, but they do lunches and only do 4 a year.  This year, the two schedules had 2 conflicts of dates on them.  Our seniors immediately said they'd give up the one date, but not the second date because the second date is Super Bowl Sunday and they are hoping that will help their sales, as well as a few other reasons.  The elementary school claims they can't move their date either.  Our seniors are basically like 'well, we'll probably lose some sales, but hopefully we'll make it up because of the date, and that is life.' The elementary school is upset that we won't move our date at all.  So, basically, we were expected to cancel both our dates and they don't have to do anything.  Did I mention I'm on the board of that elementary school (this is my 4th 2 year term and my 2nd term as an officer) and we have a board meeting tonight?  I'm planning on politely pointing out to the principal how unhappy I am with how this is being handled by the elementary school.  It isn't the principal I've been dealing with, but this does reflect badly on the school. 

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

silvercelt

« Reply #18179 on: November 28, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »

I had this happen one morning while waiting in a drive through.  There was a long line that I was firmly in the middle off, and a man came out and hopped into his car to my left, then promptly tried to back into me.  My honking didn't get his attention- he didn't notice me until the car behind me started honking at him as well.

The extra special snowflake portion of this is that when he put his car into park and got out of the car, he didn't come over to apologize to me....he came over to scream at me for "appearing out of nowhere" (hah) and to inform me that I was a <badword> for not backing up and getting out of his way immediately.  When I pointed out that the line hadn't moved since before he came out of the store, and there were numerous cars behind me, so I couldn't have backed up if I wanted to, he called me another name and got back into his car.  He then spent the next 10 minutes revving his engine at me and flipping me off until the line moved.

Granted, the parking lot of this place is teeny, and if you park on the sides of the store you really have to be able to maneuver your car in and out of tight spots due to the drive through.  I get that- I think it's really poor design on the store's part- but screaming and raging at another customer is bad form.  He also had room to pull out- he just needed to back out of the spot while turning, not back straight out and then turn.