News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 05, 2015, 05:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6754081 times)

mmswm

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18180 on: November 28, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »
I just remembered another SS driver story.  When I owned my own home, I fostered cats and kittens.  I had a litter of "bottle babies" and one of them had become very sick.  I put him in my car and proceeded to drive to the vet.  To get there, I had to get on the highway.  It was a rainy morning and visibility was quite bad. I had to stop for the light, and when the turn light turned green, I started to make the left turn I needed to make. About halfway into the turn, I realized there was some debris in the middle of the road and my little Civic would not be able to drive over it.  Now, my car is a stick shift, and first gear is really, really short.  I shift out of it before I hit 10mph.  I wasn't  anywhere close to ready to shift to second gear. I couldn't do much as far as manuvering was concerned, so I slowed even further in an attempt to have enough space to get around the debris (it was a fairly large log...possibly a truck carrying cut logs had lost one).  Anyway, the driver behind me slammed into me at that point, pushing me into the debris. I managed to get my car around the debris and out of the way.  She comes up to me screaming at me for being such a horrible driver and so on and so forth.  She called the cops, and I said that was fine (by this time, I was really upset about the kitten, but what could I do?).  Anyway, she got back into her SUV and got back onto the phone.  I'm not sure who she was talking to, but she suddenly turned her engine back on and took off, squealing tires and all. My guess is that whomever she was talking to informed her that she is the one who rear-ended me, and in the state we were in, it would be considered her fault, not mine.  I called the cops, explained what happened and did what they told me to do from there.  The kitten did not make it, but unfortunately, that is all to common with orphaned newborns.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BarensMom

« Reply #18181 on: November 29, 2012, 05:29:28 AM »
I just remembered another SS driver story.  When I owned my own home, I fostered cats and kittens.  I had a litter of "bottle babies" and one of them had become very sick.  I put him in my car and proceeded to drive to the vet.  To get there, I had to get on the highway.  It was a rainy morning and visibility was quite bad. I had to stop for the light, and when the turn light turned green, I started to make the left turn I needed to make. About halfway into the turn, I realized there was some debris in the middle of the road and my little Civic would not be able to drive over it.  Now, my car is a stick shift, and first gear is really, really short.  I shift out of it before I hit 10mph.  I wasn't  anywhere close to ready to shift to second gear. I couldn't do much as far as manuvering was concerned, so I slowed even further in an attempt to have enough space to get around the debris (it was a fairly large log...possibly a truck carrying cut logs had lost one).  Anyway, the driver behind me slammed into me at that point, pushing me into the debris. I managed to get my car around the debris and out of the way.  She comes up to me screaming at me for being such a horrible driver and so on and so forth.  She called the cops, and I said that was fine (by this time, I was really upset about the kitten, but what could I do?).  Anyway, she got back into her SUV and got back onto the phone.  I'm not sure who she was talking to, but she suddenly turned her engine back on and took off, squealing tires and all. My guess is that whomever she was talking to informed her that she is the one who rear-ended me, and in the state we were in, it would be considered her fault, not mine.  I called the cops, explained what happened and did what they told me to do from there.  The kitten did not make it, but unfortunately, that is all to common with orphaned newborns.

I'm sorry about the poor kitty.

What that woman did by leaving the scene of the accident was a criminal offense.  Did the cops do anything about that?

eltf177

« Reply #18182 on: November 29, 2012, 05:40:40 AM »

What that woman did by leaving the scene of the accident was a criminal offense.  Did the cops do anything about that?

Agreed, we need closure on this!

o_gal

« Reply #18183 on: November 29, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »
We've often joked that our little Toyota Echo is an accident magnet.  We've had at least five accidents since we bought it in 2006, and none of them have been our fault.
What color is it? I knew of someone who had an accident-magnet car; the color sort of blended with the pavement so that it was hard for other drivers to see it. She started driving with headlights on all the time, and the number of close calls dropped dramatically.

Is it Moonshadow Metallic? That's the color of my 2004 Toyota Corolla - kind of a dark grey. Never buy a car the color of the road; I've been rear-ended 5 times.

Ginger G

« Reply #18184 on: November 29, 2012, 07:36:49 AM »
Never buy a car the color of the road; I've been rear-ended 5 times.

I have to respectfully disagree, my Mustang is dark gray, I've had it 11 years and have never been struck by another driver.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18185 on: November 29, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »
Never buy a car the color of the road; I've been rear-ended 5 times.

I have to respectfully disagree, my Mustang is dark gray, I've had it 11 years and have never been struck by another driver.

Argh!  Don't tempt fate!

HorseFreak

« Reply #18186 on: November 29, 2012, 09:07:56 AM »
We've often joked that our little Toyota Echo is an accident magnet.  We've had at least five accidents since we bought it in 2006, and none of them have been our fault.
What color is it? I knew of someone who had an accident-magnet car; the color sort of blended with the pavement so that it was hard for other drivers to see it. She started driving with headlights on all the time, and the number of close calls dropped dramatically.

Is it Moonshadow Metallic? That's the color of my 2004 Toyota Corolla - kind of a dark grey. Never buy a car the color of the road; I've been rear-ended 5 times.

There was a study done on daylight headlight use and the impressive reduction in accident rate. My car's taillights also come on with the headlight so I always use them when driving my graphite colored car. No accidents in 10 years *knocks on wood.*

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/drl.aspx

mmswm

« Reply #18187 on: November 29, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »

Agreed, we need closure on this!

I didn't want to stray too far into legal territory, which is why I left it as "followed the instructions the police gave me".  Yes, she was ticketed for several offenses, including rear-ending me and the hit and run.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Shalamar

« Reply #18188 on: November 29, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
What color is it?

It's blue, which you'd think would be easy to spot.  Funnily enough, I have a co-worker who used to own the exact same car, and he said the same thing about being an accident magnet.

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #18189 on: November 29, 2012, 12:10:17 PM »
What color is it?

It's blue, which you'd think would be easy to spot.  Funnily enough, I have a co-worker who used to own the exact same car, and he said the same thing about being an accident magnet.

I had something like three close calls in the first week after I bought my little red car. It was flabbergasting. (My second choice would have been the graphite, but I was afraid of not being easily seen!)
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18190 on: November 29, 2012, 12:24:42 PM »
Red seems to be a bad colour for cars.  Even though it would be more noticeable, red cars seem to have more collisions.  Maybe because people are looking at it and steer towards it unconsciously?  Red cars are often more noticeable to police, too, when identifying a car to pull over.  A buddy of my brother's drove an old beater.  He bought a new, red, sporty number.  Didn't change how he drove but he suddenly started getting all these tickets.

And there was a study done in the UK that showed red cars get nailed by birds more often than other colours, too.

Sure, this all mostly anecdotal but it has convinced me that I won't be buying a red car any time soon.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Firecat

« Reply #18191 on: November 29, 2012, 01:10:17 PM »
Red seems to be a bad colour for cars.  Even though it would be more noticeable, red cars seem to have more collisions.  Maybe because people are looking at it and steer towards it unconsciously?  Red cars are often more noticeable to police, too, when identifying a car to pull over.  A buddy of my brother's drove an old beater.  He bought a new, red, sporty number.  Didn't change how he drove but he suddenly started getting all these tickets.

And there was a study done in the UK that showed red cars get nailed by birds more often than other colours, too.

Sure, this all mostly anecdotal but it has convinced me that I won't be buying a red car any time soon.

Let's just say that the expression "Give Me A Ticket Red" exists for a reason....

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18192 on: November 29, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »

Let's just say that the expression "Give Me A Ticket Red" exists for a reason....

I've never heard that expression - but it totally makes sense.   :)

I'm a lottery player - there is a big one tomorrow night ($50 Million - tax free in Canada) and I always dream of what I'd do with the money.  I have two nephews that I would buy a car, with stipulations.  Has to be a 4-door, unless it is a truck, can't be a luxery model like Acura, Audi, BMW, etc, and it can't be red!  (I'll have to include the cost of their insurance, since they couldn't afford a vehicle, otherwise, hence my stipulations to lower the insurance costs.  I figure I'd pay it until they are 25, when the rates go down, but they would have to pay any increase because of an accident.  But since the chances of me winning are infintesimally small, I'm not too worried I'll have to follow through.)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

faithlessone

« Reply #18193 on: November 29, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »

My ex had a blue car when we met. Never been stopped by police in his life. About two months in, he got a red car. Within three months, he had been stopped more than ten time. His driving hadn't changed, and he soon had his car resprayed blue!

To get slightly more back on topic, a mini SS story for you all!

I was out in the local big city shopping last Saturday. There's a big Christmas market in the middle, and, obviously, there are loads of people there. It was also a nice sunny day, so it was pretty busy.

However, I spotted a woman, barrelling through the crowd with her bags, loudly saying "[City] WOULD BE SO MUCH NICER WITHOUT ALL THESE ******* PEOPLE EVERY ******* WHERE!!!"

At 11am, with kids everywhere. Wow. I understand being frustrated with the crowds, but was there any need for that? I also saw her pushing people (quite hard) out of the way at a market stall, so that she could see the goods on offer.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18194 on: November 29, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »

However, I spotted a woman, barrelling through the crowd with her bags, loudly saying "[City] WOULD BE SO MUCH NICER WITHOUT ALL THESE ******* PEOPLE EVERY ******* WHERE!!!"

At 11am, with kids everywhere. Wow. I understand being frustrated with the crowds, but was there any need for that? I also saw her pushing people (quite hard) out of the way at a market stall, so that she could see the goods on offer.

Snip

I live in a townhouse complex, with buildings that have 6 units per side. Each unit is 3 stories. Across and down from us is a unit with a very interesting group of tenants. There are two bedrooms in this unit, but at least 6 cars are there in rotation. The woman we primarily see coming and going from there has 3 children, from 8-15. We aren't sure why, but regularly, they post signs with the foulest of language on the tree at their corner concerning dogs and their deposits.

Yesterday, we noticed the tenants of that unit are either washing their car in their closed garage or they have their laundry water draining out into the street (instead of being in the utility closet on the third floor), so we will be calling the management about that.