Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5280884 times)

BarensMom

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18420 on: December 13, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »
I've white-knuckled the Tejon Pass.  It's a scary bit of road, and was made even more so by a SS. 

My own SS driving story took place on CA-4 outside Pittsburg.  At certain times of the day, that stretch is very congested, and the constant road work taking place doesn't help.  I was in the #2 lane, cruising along at 60-65 mph in moderately heavy traffic .  This Lexus comes up behind me, flashes his lights, then pulls around me in the #1 lane (HOV). He speeds past me and the car immediately in front, just in time for the CHP that everyone knows lurks at the onramp to see him and pull him over.  Just to get ahead of two cars, the man earns a speeding ticket and a HOV violation ($400+).

Adelaide

« Reply #18421 on: December 13, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »
I was at Wegman's late at night the other day and I parked on the edges of the parking lot. There was one car directly across from me and one beside me, and several open spaces all around. After shopping, I got in and started my car, immediately turning on the defrost and rear defrost because it was so cold. The car that was parked facing me turned its lights on and I glanced up to see two older women in it. The driver started the car, and I didn't think anything else about it.

I knew it would be awhile before my car was warm and the glass was clear so I pulled out my phone and sent a couple of texts. I then looked up to see the ladies were staring my way. I didn't think anything of it. I started plugging in the coordinates to get home in my GPS. The ladies are now staring and gesturing toward me while talking among themselves. I start to feel a little weirded out, but it wasn't like I was doing anything odd or wrong. I put on my seat belt and turn on my lights. The old women are now sitting stock still in their car and glaring daggers at me. This has all happened in the space of about three or four minutes. By now my car is defrosted enough for me to see, and so I back out of the space and drive off.

Turns out the old ladies were mad because I didn't back out quickly enough for them. They sat there that whole time just so they could pull forward instead of having to back out of a parking space in an almost-empty parking lot. Even if they had been forced to back out, there wasn't a single car behind them. And yes, they tailed me all the way out of the parking lot.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18422 on: December 13, 2012, 04:16:17 PM »
I was at Wegman's late at night the other day and I parked on the edges of the parking lot. There was one car directly across from me and one beside me, and several open spaces all around. After shopping, I got in and started my car, immediately turning on the defrost and rear defrost because it was so cold. The car that was parked facing me turned its lights on and I glanced up to see two older women in it. The driver started the car, and I didn't think anything else about it.

I knew it would be awhile before my car was warm and the glass was clear so I pulled out my phone and sent a couple of texts. I then looked up to see the ladies were staring my way. I didn't think anything of it. I started plugging in the coordinates to get home in my GPS. The ladies are now staring and gesturing toward me while talking among themselves. I start to feel a little weirded out, but it wasn't like I was doing anything odd or wrong. I put on my seat belt and turn on my lights. The old women are now sitting stock still in their car and glaring daggers at me. This has all happened in the space of about three or four minutes. By now my car is defrosted enough for me to see, and so I back out of the space and drive off.

Turns out the old ladies were mad because I didn't back out quickly enough for them. They sat there that whole time just so they could pull forward instead of having to back out of a parking space in an almost-empty parking lot. Even if they had been forced to back out, there wasn't a single car behind them. And yes, they tailed me all the way out of the parking lot.

So it sounds like there was only 1 car to the side of you, which meant they could have pulled back a little and pulled forward out of the spot on the other side of you and been on their merry way.  ::)

Adelaide

« Reply #18423 on: December 13, 2012, 04:25:18 PM »
<snip>

So it sounds like there was only 1 car to the side of you, which meant they could have pulled back a little and pulled forward out of the spot on the other side of you and been on their merry way.  ::)

Right....but that would have required backing out somewhat. The horror of having to actually put their car in reverse was obviously far too much to comprehend.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18424 on: December 13, 2012, 04:47:16 PM »
<snip>

Right....but that would have required backing out somewhat. The horror of having to actually put their car in reverse was obviously far too much to comprehend.
And their opposite was the lady we observed in the mall parking lot, trying to back into a space.  And pulling out, and trying again, and pulling out, and trying again...  she probably spent ten times as long trying to back into that spot than it would have taken her to back out of it if she'd pulled in head-forwards.

My mother had a car problem that required her to always pull through (or take a pair of teens with her wherever she went) -- the rattletrap car that Dad had bought in Hawaii to use until our station wagon got there had no reverse gear.  And Dad was too tight-fisted to fix a problem that would be immaterial in a few weeks.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

snowdragon

« Reply #18425 on: December 13, 2012, 05:08:22 PM »
<snip>

And their opposite was the lady we observed in the mall parking lot, trying to back into a space.  And pulling out, and trying again, and pulling out, and trying again...  she probably spent ten times as long trying to back into that spot than it would have taken her to back out of it if she'd pulled in head-forwards.

My mother had a car problem that required her to always pull through (or take a pair of teens with her wherever she went) -- the rattletrap car that Dad had bought in Hawaii to use until our station wagon got there had no reverse gear.  And Dad was too tight-fisted to fix a problem that would be immaterial in a few weeks.

I had a car like that too, it was horrible but at the time I could not afford anything else. 

Adelaide

« Reply #18426 on: December 13, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »
<snip>

I had a car like that too, it was horrible but at the time I could not afford anything else.

This was a very shiny, very new Jaguar. Although who knows, it might have had the same problem at the time.

redcat

« Reply #18427 on: December 14, 2012, 06:36:37 AM »
That's road legal?!

PastryGoddess

« Reply #18428 on: December 14, 2012, 07:34:44 AM »
That's road legal?!

huh???  Jaguars have been here in the US since the 60's at least

faithlessone

« Reply #18429 on: December 14, 2012, 08:09:12 AM »
That's road legal?!

I think Redcat meant cars without a reverse gear. ;)

PastryGoddess

« Reply #18430 on: December 14, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
That's road legal?!

ooooooooh :P

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18431 on: December 14, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »
That's road legal?!

LOL!  ;D  If it  makes you feel any better, Pastry Goddess, I wondered about that too!  So you are not alone.

Otterpop

« Reply #18432 on: December 14, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
That's road legal?!

That certainly isn't safe, if not illegal.

That reminds me of the time I was waiting for a space.  A car in the next lane was waiting for the space directly in front of mine.  We were both pulling in facing each other when she lurched forward, through hers, taking MY space instead.  We nearly collided.  It seems she wanted to park facing out as well ::)  (Is backing out all that hard?!!!)

Cue my jaw dropping to the floor, my husband leaning forward on the dash quizzically and the other lady smugly opening her car door to get out.  Until...her husband tapped her on the shoulder and made her back up.  At least HE had some decency...

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18433 on: December 14, 2012, 01:05:25 PM »
Backing up out of a parking space isn't hard. But it is not as safe as pulling forward out of a parking space.

When you back out of a parking space, there could be pedestrians that you can't see, or small children darting about or a stray grocery cart or the like. If you drive a small car and end up having to back out of a space with much larger cars on both sides, it is very, very difficult to see if there is anyone walking down the aisle or any other cars are in motion. You have a very limited field of vision when backing out of the tunnel formed by mini-vans on both sides.

If you back into the parking spot, it is a tad more difficult because you need to be careful that you don't hit the cars on either side, but there is less of a chance that someone will be walking behind the car.

That's why some of us prefer spaces where we can pull through two spaces. All the ease and convenience of pulling forward in to a parking spot, plus the safety advantage of pulling forward out of the parking spot. You can see where you are going and are much less likely to hit someone or something.

The chief problem with backing into a space is that other drivers frequently don't like waiting for you to back in slowly and get impatient.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, Im possible! Audrey Hepburn

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18434 on: December 14, 2012, 03:41:30 PM »

I'm hoping that once she uses it a time or two she'll feel a little better. Sadly, she hasn't had a chance to yet, between weather and other logistics. Hoping maybe soon, though! Glad to hear it's not totally out of the realm of 'normal' though... I was a bit worried. LOL

Well, I have a friend who has OCD and she would definitely think that way.