Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5279448 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18435 on: December 14, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »
Backing up out of a parking space isn't hard. But it is not as safe as pulling forward out of a parking space.

When you back out of a parking space, there could be pedestrians that you can't see, or small children darting about or a stray grocery cart or the like. If you drive a small car and end up having to back out of a space with much larger cars on both sides, it is very, very difficult to see if there is anyone walking down the aisle or any other cars are in motion. You have a very limited field of vision when backing out of the tunnel formed by mini-vans on both sides.

If you back into the parking spot, it is a tad more difficult because you need to be careful that you don't hit the cars on either side, but there is less of a chance that someone will be walking behind the car.

That's why some of us prefer spaces where we can pull through two spaces. All the ease and convenience of pulling forward in to a parking spot, plus the safety advantage of pulling forward out of the parking spot. You can see where you are going and are much less likely to hit someone or something.

The chief problem with backing into a space is that other drivers frequently don't like waiting for you to back in slowly and get impatient.

Then its up to you (general) to find a space you can pull forward out of, either by backing in or finding a spot you (general) can drive through while parking.  Not get all huffy and puffy because the person in the spot in front of you won't move on your time frame.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18436 on: December 14, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »
Also most of our parking lots have slanted parking slots.  The parking aisles are reversed one ways -- in other words parking aisle one goes north, parking aisle two goes south.  So if you pull straight through to leave, you'll find yourself heading down a one way aisle in the wrong direction. 

Oncoming cars have nowhere to go!  One of you has to move.  Since you're the one going the wrong direction, they will usually expect that one to be YOU.  So instead of backing out of a parking space, you'll end up backing down an entire aisle of parked cars coming from the other direction.

CakeBeret

« Reply #18437 on: December 14, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »
I just returned from my history final. The teacher had to throw out one student because she brought her three year old child who.would.not.shut.up.  He was so loud that  even putting the mother and child in the hall was still too loud for most.  The mom was furious about it because we were discriminating against her, as a mother, and "just because I have a child does not mean I should fail the course" - So the rest of us should?

Even after being told she could take the  exam in a room alone she was not satisfied...and went stomping off, yelling about how we were discriminating against her because she is a parent.
  It would have been annoying but not fatal for her to bring the kid, if he would be quiet so we could take the exam...but allowing your child to talk in an "outside voice" during a final exam, while you answer him in a normal,conversational tone, plants this person firmly in the SS  territory for me.

As the parent of a 3 year old, I am completely aghast. What...why...I don't even understand. Even if I had the quietest, calmest, most docile 3 year old in existence, I still would not dream of taking them to a college final!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

EmmaJ.

« Reply #18438 on: December 14, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
Also most of our parking lots have slanted parking slots.  The parking aisles are reversed one ways -- in other words parking aisle one goes north, parking aisle two goes south.  So if you pull straight through to leave, you'll find yourself heading down a one way aisle in the wrong direction. 

Oncoming cars have nowhere to go!  One of you has to move.  Since you're the one going the wrong direction, they will usually expect that one to be YOU.  So instead of backing out of a parking space, you'll end up backing down an entire aisle of parked cars coming from the other direction.
My parking lot at work is laid out like this.  And there is one person who always pulls through, so he is now forced to exit that row going the wrong way. 

I cannot figure out why he does this - and it isn't a one-time oops.  The same car is parked the same wrong way every day.   ???

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18439 on: December 14, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »
That's why some of us prefer spaces where we can pull through two spaces. All the ease and convenience of pulling forward in to a parking spot, plus the safety advantage of pulling forward out of the parking spot. You can see where you are going and are much less likely to hit someone or something.

Doing a pull-through has its own risks and is not any better than the alternatives. I've been surprised, on at least two occasions, by someone pulling through a parking space that I was trying to enter.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18440 on: December 14, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »

Doing a pull-through has its own risks and is not any better than the alternatives. I've been surprised, on at least two occasions, by someone pulling through a parking space that I was trying to enter.

Well, it is true that you have to be careful when doing a pull-through in a crowded lot. I usually park way out on the fringes of parking lots, where there are no other cars. You can see if another car is headed towards the same space you are.

I do this because even though I am pretty darn good at backing into a space, it does take a few seconds longer than pulling into a space.  And other drivers are usually not very tolerant of someone taking those few extra seconds. I've had horns honked at me, swear words yelled at me, that sort of thing. All of which startle me and throw me off guard and make me take longer to finish backing in, because I have to calm down.

I've been in two traffic accidents in my life. Both were in parking lots, where my car was hit by a car driven by an inattentive driver. I'm a bit paranoid in parking lots, to tell the truth.

At least the walk from from far corners of the parking lot gives me a little exercise.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Jocelyn

« Reply #18441 on: December 14, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »
Sometimes, in any given piece of music, you don't get to have the most fun part. The trick to enjoying it is to find what is fun about the part you do have, because 95% of the time, there's something that's legitimately pretty awesome.

Unless you play the cello and it's Pachelbel's Canon. Then there is like negative eleventy million awesome. Times three, since everybody else gets at least a little awesome, but you get the same 8 quarter notes for like 10 minutes (which, of course, feels like approximately the rest of your life).
That's why I liked viola...you typically get parts like that, and while you're playing away on autopilot, you can listen to the rest of the orchestra, and that's pretty awesome.  :)

Soprych

« Reply #18442 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:09 PM »
That's why I liked viola...you typically get parts like that, and while you're playing away on autopilot, you can listen to the rest of the orchestra, and that's pretty awesome.  :)

OK that was cute, I  could not make sense of what you were saying at all.  It took four or five readings before I figured out you meant viola and not waa-la.   Me thinks that I am a bit of a SS today

PeterM

« Reply #18443 on: December 15, 2012, 01:00:06 AM »
That's road legal?!

huh???  Jaguars have been here in the US since the 60's at least

I think Redcat meant cars without a reverse gear. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peel_P50. World's smallest production car, has no reverse gear.

Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear did a feature on the Peel P50 in which he drove it through London to work at the BBC, and then drove it through the  BBC offices just for fun. It was originally on sale in the early 60's, so cars with no reverse were street legal in England back then, at the very least, and I would think also now since he was able to drive it through London. No idea if it'd be legal in the US.

Youtube has the video. Definitely worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo

It's not as unwieldy as a "real" car with no reverse, though, given that it can easily be lifted from the rear to turn it around. It can even be lifted with a driver in it, as another BBC person did to Jeremy while he was driving it, leaving him facing the wrong way at a red light.

squeakers

« Reply #18444 on: December 15, 2012, 03:02:26 AM »

OK that was cute, I  could not make sense of what you were saying at all.  It took four or five readings before I figured out you meant viola and not waa-la.   Me thinks that I am a bit of a SS today

Viola and voila are two different things unless one is "fishing" for a spelling correction  ;D
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #18445 on: December 15, 2012, 06:46:34 AM »
I do the "pull through" in parking lots all the time, or at least as often as I can, but not before I have a good look to make sure nobody is coming.  I figure that I've already made it into a parking spot, so why be greedy if someone else wants the empty one ahead of me?  It's just easier to drive out forwards because of my neck; I can't turn my head all the way in either direction.

I was at the store yesterday, and a mother was letting her child (about 5 years old, I'm guessing) play with the Christmas displays.  Not the toys, but the displays themselves.  After the little girl collapsed a cardboard candy display while trying to climb it like a ladder (not hurting herself, thank goodness!), the clerk asked the mother if she could please make sure her daughter doesn't climb on the displays, as she could get hurt.  The mother got offended, and whined, "But she wants to plaaaaay!"

Well...I want a winning lottery ticket, but that hasn't happened yet!   ;D

snowdragon

« Reply #18446 on: December 15, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »
Yesterday when my sister and I were out we had two driving SS's in a 3his turn 0seconds..One who cut off two lanes of traffic because he could not wait for his turn - and then waited there, for some unknown reason, as he had more than enough room to make the turn. The second - who did not want to wait for the first to move crossed the double yellow lines. went up a good 200 ft and into the farthest driveway and into a pizza joint. 
  Just amazing what some folks will do with out regard for anyone else.

redcat

« Reply #18447 on: December 15, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »
Quote from: faithlessone on Yesterday at 08:09:12 AM

Quote from: PastryGoddess on Yesterday at 07:34:44 AM

Quote from: redcat on Yesterday at 06:36:37 AM

That's road legal?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peel_P50. World's smallest production car, has no reverse gear.

Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear did a feature on the Peel P50 in which he drove it through London to work at the BBC, and then drove it through the  BBC offices just for fun. It was originally on sale in the early 60's, so cars with no reverse were street legal in England back then, at the very least, and I would think also now since he was able to drive it through London. No idea if it'd be legal in the US.

I actually went and looked this up after reading it here, and consensus seems to be that the MOT test (road worthiness test in the UK) doesn't check the gears for anything, and so a reverse gear isn't specifically required.  However, it does require that the car be driven to and from the test pit, and a lack of reverse gear may prevent that from happening, causing it to fail, regardless of the car's other capabilities.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18448 on: December 15, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »
That's road legal?!

This was a Renault.  The reverse was broken, not missing altogether.  Sorry I wasn't clear.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Emmy

« Reply #18449 on: December 15, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
I just returned from my history final. The teacher had to throw out one student because she brought her three year old child who.would.not.shut.up.  He was so loud that  even putting the mother and child in the hall was still too loud for most.  The mom was furious about it because we were discriminating against her, as a mother, and "just because I have a child does not mean I should fail the course" - So the rest of us should?

Even after being told she could take the  exam in a room alone she was not satisfied...and went stomping off, yelling about how we were discriminating against her because she is a parent.
  It would have been annoying but not fatal for her to bring the kid, if he would be quiet so we could take the exam...but allowing your child to talk in an "outside voice" during a final exam, while you answer him in a normal,conversational tone, plants this person firmly in the SS  territory for me.

As the parent of a 3 year old, I am completely aghast. What...why...I don't even understand. Even if I had the quietest, calmest, most docile 3 year old in existence, I still would not dream of taking them to a college final!

An SS Momzilla.

It's bad enough that she brought her child to an exam and allowed him to be noisy and was noisy herself while having a conversation with him.

The teacher was very generous by overlooking her rudeness in bringing the child and offering a reasonable solution.  Instead of being grateful or even understanding, she cries 'discrimination'.  Nobody was discriminating against her because she was a mother.  People were mad because she was an SS who felt having her noisy kid with her during the exam trumped everybody else's right to a quiet environment conducive to test taking.