Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5381260 times)

snowdragon

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18450 on: December 16, 2012, 03:03:58 AM »
Went to a concert - oh the SS's there.

First was the woman who decided that I need to put my feet under my chair - so she could hang her coat off the back of her chair....effectively taking all the legroom there....and told me how rude *I* was because I refused to sit with my legs tucked under me for three hours or more.

Then there was the lady who read the entire show with her kindle - wrecking the lighting for the rest of the crowd and told everyone around her to stop clapping and tapping out legs in time with the music.

The lady who got huffy with people who participated in the sing alongs the band specifically asked for audience participation on.

The guy who decided he could park where he wanted -and drove right up to the loading zone in his attempt to get as close as possible.

The woman who got mad at people for talking BEFORE the show, even though there was a half hour left before it was supposed to start, we should all just sit in silence, and sat and huffed at everyone for the entire half hour.

DollyPond

« Reply #18451 on: December 16, 2012, 11:42:42 AM »
The concert story reminds me of this bad behavior....

I recently went to a B.B. King concert.  There was a highly intoxicated woman in the audience who kept yelling "B.B. King!!!!! It's My Birthday!!!!!"  She eventually walked up to the stage and took pictures of him (forbidden) and he sang Happy Birthday to her (VERY nice of him) but she kept it up periodically during the concert to the point that he said "Yes, we know.  It's your birthday."  Don't know why she wasn't removed from the venue.

Later on, another woman walked down the aisle, pushed past the people on the front row and started talking to B.B. King just as he was about to start another song.  She then held up the kid she had brought down with her and said "I just wanted to show you my grandson."

What is with some people???

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18452 on: December 16, 2012, 12:03:42 PM »

I recently went to a B.B. King concert.  There was a highly intoxicated woman in the audience who kept yelling "B.B. King!!!!! It's My Birthday!!!!!"  She eventually walked up to the stage and took pictures of him (forbidden) and he sang Happy Birthday to her (VERY nice of him) but she kept it up periodically during the concert to the point that he said "Yes, we know.  It's your birthday."  Don't know why she wasn't removed from the venue.

Later on, another woman walked down the aisle, pushed past the people on the front row and started talking to B.B. King just as he was about to start another song.  She then held up the kid she had brought down with her and said "I just wanted to show you my grandson."

I'm surprised his security didn't remove them. He performed in San Angelo at a festival dedicated to my Father (Dad had been part of the organizing group, when he became ill and died). BB King was a gracious person and true gentleman, who took extra time back stage to speak to my Mom and me. He insisted that Mom, who had suffered a broken hip and had trouble walking, be brought a chair and sit down. Then he had someone help Mom leave because he was worried she might trip over the cords and equipment backstage.

His people were equal parts firm and gracious in dealing with people who tried to get up to the stage or backstage without passes.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18453 on: December 16, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »

I'm surprised his security didn't remove them. He performed in San Angelo at a festival dedicated to my Father (Dad had been part of the organizing group, when he became ill and died). BB King was a gracious person and true gentleman, who took extra time back stage to speak to my Mom and me. He insisted that Mom, who had suffered a broken hip and had trouble walking, be brought a chair and sit down. Then he had someone help Mom leave because he was worried she might trip over the cords and equipment backstage.

His people were equal parts firm and gracious in dealing with people who tried to get up to the stage or backstage without passes.

I agree with Kherbert.  I've been to 2 of his concerts and his security had no problem firmly removing people who were disrupting the concert.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18454 on: December 16, 2012, 03:42:45 PM »

I agree with Kherbert.  I've been to 2 of his concerts and his security had no problem firmly removing people who were disrupting the concert.

Artists don't generally bring or hire their own security, except for possibly one or two people; that's the job of the venue. Credit (or discredit) goes to the places where you saw the concerts, not to B.B.King. I suspect that the venue DollyPond was at got a firm talking-to after the concert about their lack of security.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18455 on: December 16, 2012, 10:52:21 PM »

Artists don't generally bring or hire their own security, except for possibly one or two people; that's the job of the venue. Credit (or discredit) goes to the places where you saw the concerts, not to B.B.King. I suspect that the venue DollyPond was at got a firm talking-to after the concert about their lack of security.

He travels with several of his sons and couple of daughters depending on the location.  At least 3 of them play with him on stage, and a couple of the sons act as security/bouncers/handlers. The second concert I went to, I managed to get backstage passes and saw them all hanging out and working before meeting Mr. King and his band.

Hillia

« Reply #18456 on: December 16, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »
I went to a concert last summer at an outdoor venue.  It was fairly small, and the part where I was was standing room only.  Everyone was singing along, bopping to the music in their own little personal space 'box' - everyone just having a great time - until the SS in front of me decided that the singer was providing the  music for her own private jazzercise class.  She was wildly hopping around, swinging her arms, effectively clearing about a 6x6 square in the middle of hte crowded area. Didn't matter if the singer was performing a ballad, a bluesy number, or one of his high energy hits, she didn't alter her tempo or movements - it was as if she were trying to keep her heart rate above 120 or something.  Extremely annoying, and she absolutely ignored everyone who tried to talk to her about calming down and taking her act on the road.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Emmy

« Reply #18457 on: December 17, 2012, 06:30:48 AM »

First was the woman who decided that I need to put my feet under my chair - so she could hang her coat off the back of her chair....effectively taking all the legroom there....and told me how rude *I* was because I refused to sit with my legs tucked under me for three hours or more.

Then there was the lady who read the entire show with her kindle - wrecking the lighting for the rest of the crowd and told everyone around her to stop clapping and tapping out legs in time with the music.

The lady who got huffy with people who participated in the sing alongs the band specifically asked for audience participation on.

The guy who decided he could park where he wanted -and drove right up to the loading zone in his attempt to get as close as possible.

The woman who got mad at people for talking BEFORE the show, even though there was a half hour left before it was supposed to start, we should all just sit in silence, and sat and huffed at everyone for the entire half hour.

It sounds like several people mistook the concert for a library.  It sounds like these people should have just skipped the show.

MissRose

« Reply #18458 on: December 17, 2012, 07:13:10 AM »
At my niece and nephew's school band concert, it seemed like the snowflakes were out in force: people still trying to take seats or change seats during the performances (not before or after the group onstage is done), parents who held up cameras to obstruct views of other spectators, parents who couldn't stay seated and kept moving around to get the perfect shot of a child or grandchild on stage, conversations that just could not wait until after the group onstage was done....

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18459 on: December 17, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »

It sounds like several people mistook the concert for a library.  It sounds like these people should have just skipped the show.

reminds me of a U2 show i went to. I know its been debated before about standing v. sitting at concerts, but having been to over a dozen of their shows in the last 10 years, I can safely say that sitting is the exception, rather than the norm. they are a high energy band, and if you sit, you miss it all - that's just the way it is.  At one show my friend and i were chastised, along with 99.9% of the people in our section, for standing. the SS's behind us wanted to sit, and we were blocking their view!  The thing is, had us 2 sat down, or anyone else, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

and at the same show, there was a woman in the row in front of us, who sat the whole time, and played on her iphone.  I don't get it. If you spend as much as we did for tickets, how can you sit and not even pay attention?

MissRose

« Reply #18460 on: December 17, 2012, 09:54:41 AM »

reminds me of a U2 show i went to. I know its been debated before about standing v. sitting at concerts, but having been to over a dozen of their shows in the last 10 years, I can safely say that sitting is the exception, rather than the norm. they are a high energy band, and if you sit, you miss it all - that's just the way it is.  At one show my friend and i were chastised, along with 99.9% of the people in our section, for standing. the SS's behind us wanted to sit, and we were blocking their view!  The thing is, had us 2 sat down, or anyone else, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

and at the same show, there was a woman in the row in front of us, who sat the whole time, and played on her iphone.  I don't get it. If you spend as much as we did for tickets, how can you sit and not even pay attention?

I remember going to a show, and stood up and got told off for not remaining seated especially during the faster tempo songs in the section I was seated.  I kept my comments to myself as I traveled a long way to the show as I am sure I may have gotten tossed out if I stood up for myself.

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #18461 on: December 17, 2012, 11:01:11 AM »
I think the sit down or stand up thing at a concert is majority rules.

I just went to a Christmas concert and everyone was polite, calm, and nice.  Two teenage boys whispered behind me for 3 minutes but a glare kept them quiet.  I was in charge of three children 10, 9, and 7 and they all did pretty well.  Afterwards, there were cookies and no one got trampled to death to get there first.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Shalamar

« Reply #18462 on: December 17, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »
I remember getting shushed in a movie theatre - before the previews started.  The lights were still on, and there was nothing going on on the screen, and yet my talking was evidently disturbing the woman behind me.  Anyone would think that I have a voice like Janice from Friends!

Daquiri40

« Reply #18463 on: December 17, 2012, 12:57:22 PM »

I saw Jeff Daniels do a concert to raise money for a project of his.  A woman walked up to the stage and interrupted him and asked for an autograph.  He told her no, if I do it for you - I have to do it for everyone.  And then he made a face at her.  Because really - who does that???

Martin Mull had a great comeback for this behavior - he said, "sure in the middle of a football game - I call out Hey Terry Bradshaw!  Yeah, me up here - I need to talk to you!  I don't care about the other 49,000 people who have to see the football game.  It's all about me!!!"

Jocelyn

« Reply #18464 on: December 17, 2012, 01:22:47 PM »
I just returned from my history final. The teacher had to throw out one student because she brought her three year old child who.would.not.shut.up.  He was so loud that  even putting the mother and child in the hall was still too loud for most.  The mom was furious about it because we were discriminating against her, as a mother, and "just because I have a child does not mean I should fail the course" - So the rest of us should?

Even after being told she could take the  exam in a room alone she was not satisfied...and went stomping off, yelling about how we were discriminating against her because she is a parent.
  It would have been annoying but not fatal for her to bring the kid, if he would be quiet so we could take the exam...but allowing your child to talk in an "outside voice" during a final exam, while you answer him in a normal,conversational tone, plants this person firmly in the SS  territory for me.
At my former university, the policy was no one could attend a class unless s/he was enrolled or the guest speaker. Age did not matter. One day a student told me she had had a babysitting snafu (her soldier husband had gotten sent for training with 48 hours warning) and asked if she could sit in the hall with him, and would I leave the classroom door open. She promised me that he would not make any noise whatsoever. I told her she could, but that if I was distracted by them, I would come shut the door, and that was her cue to go home. The door to the classroom is in the east corner of the north wall; the hall goes north from the classroom. The students in the room are seated in the west portion of the room, so only 1 or 2 of them could see the student and her son in the hall.  One hour and 45 minutes later, I concluded my lecture and was surprised to see them still sitting there, my student taking notes, and her son sitting beside her coloring. I would NEVER have bet on a child his age sitting that long! If he got up and walked around, I never saw a thing. If he'd been in the room, though, he probably would have been disruptive just due to the 'awww' factor.  ;D