Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5360572 times)

Browyn

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18465 on: December 17, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »
When our son was in afternoon kindergarten my husband had to take him to morning class with him when I was on a business trip.  He brought his laptop and quiet toys and he sat in the back and played.  There was the awe factor before class started but the novelty wore off quickly.  Then they had a snack at McD's and he took him to kindergarten, and he stayed with a neighboor after school until Daddy got home.  But the was not during a test period and it was cleared with the professor ahead of time.

Its doable but requires planning.  DS is now in 2nd grade and DH is graduating and will be a high school math teacher in the fall :-)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18466 on: December 17, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to avoid SS until this morning.

Before sunrise, driving my son to school in the rather thick fog central Florida gets this time of year.

It is dark and foggy, and 99% of drivers have enough sense to have their headlights on low. Using low beams in the fog is a law in my state, and driving without head and tail lights is highly illegal. I am driving down a four lane, divided road. I was in the left lane and could see everyone around me, then begin to notice a unlit car whose shadow was visible by other vehicle's headlights. I could not see this car at all in any of my mirrors, and kept checking. I needed to change lanes, put on my signal, and looked again. As I started to move over, a horn sounded. A few seconds later, a tiny orange car with no lights crossed directly in front of my SUV. I flicked my lights at the car, hoping they would turn on their blasted lights, to no avail. SS orange car then zoomed across all lanes when approaching the intersection, going from the far right to the far left, four lanes in total.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #18467 on: December 17, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »
Sounds like she is driving what she may end up being buried in.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #18468 on: December 17, 2012, 08:15:24 PM »

What an interesting assumption!
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #18469 on: December 17, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »

No more an assumption than 'He' and 'He'. English doesn't have (commonly used) gender neutral pronouns :D. You've got a 50% chance of being wrong...

AngelicGamer

« Reply #18470 on: December 17, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »

No more an assumption than 'He' and 'He'. English doesn't have (commonly used) gender neutral pronouns :D. You've got a 50% chance of being wrong...

Which is why a lot of people go s/he.  I do agree that, no matter what gender, that person is going to be buried in that car.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18471 on: December 17, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »
I remember getting shushed in a movie theatre - before the previews started.  The lights were still on, and there was nothing going on on the screen, and yet my talking was evidently disturbing the woman behind me.  Anyone would think that I have a voice like Janice from Friends!

I admit to doing this once. In my defense the woman was a special snowflake. It was the first week of the movie, and I had avoided spoilers. I got there early and sat down. This woman and her friend sat down directly behind me (We were the only people in the theater at the time) and the SS starts to give a blow by blow description of the movie. The movie was a mystery. I asked her to stop that I wanted to be surprised by the movie, and was told to stop listening into their conversation. I told her you sat down behind me and I can't tune you out. (There was no way at her volume even if I moved you could hear her in every corner of the theater.) Her companion got this strange look on her face - like it never occurred to her that you could ask SS to stop. Then she did, rather timidly tell her friend she would like to see the movie without being spoiled. The SS left in a huff. Friend sat there awhile then sighed loudly and followed her friend out.

I use my phone and headphones now and get snotty comments about are you going to turn that off when the movie starts. I find the comments humourous because I go to the movies alone. (Never got the go with friends things - you can't talk during them). I told one lady that kept poking me and asking if i was going to turn off my Ipad (Lights still full up, movie not due to start for 1/2 an hour Theater is almost empty no one but her sitting near me) -Yea I really enjoy paying $10 a pop to sit in a dark theater to play on my Ipad just to annoy people.

I kind of sympathize with the woman in a rock concert playing on her phone. When we were teenagers sis wanted to go to a concert. My parents were on a "Lets make Kimberly socialize" kick. It was decided that I would go with Sis. I didn't like the band, my friends didn't like the band. I told my parents if you make me go I'm going to sneak in a book, sit in my seat, and read it the whole time. Cousin who did like the band ended up being the chaperon not me. (Dad had access to free tickets and backstage passes - so cousin, sis, and 2 or 3 friend each got to go for free)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #18472 on: December 17, 2012, 08:52:15 PM »

Which is why a lot of people go s/he.  I do agree that, no matter what gender, that person is going to be buried in that car.

It doesn't mean not using "s/he" is wrong.  I don't think it's productive to nitpick over who used which pronouns to describe what, either.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #18473 on: December 17, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
When I was a kid and played toy cars with my younger brother, all cars were girls and all trucks were boys. 
 ;D
Since "a tiny orange car" is pictured in my mind as cute, it is a girl, and thus with a girl driver. 
Since no lights were on, and it was very foggy, we may never know...

Still, the driver, male or female, was a special snowflake to drive without lights and still expect others to notice it/him/her.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #18474 on: December 18, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »
I drove past a white minivan at 6:45 this morning that had no lights on. I can't imagine how well they were able to see.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18475 on: December 18, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »
Last night the fog in my city was so bad, you couldn't see more than 5 feet ahead of you in the car with the high beams on.  So what do I see (barely)as I'm going through a light.  A big black volvo...with no lights on trying to turn onto the street.   ::)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #18476 on: December 18, 2012, 10:47:29 AM »
I thought I saw a flurry of SS this morning, but now I'm not so sure.

My younger son was sick this morning, so I only had to take my older son to school. That meant he was able to go for breakfast--he usually can't because by the time we drop YDS off and get him to school it's 5 minutes before start time. Anyway, we got there about 15 minutes early (the drop off lines get long fast, and if it takes ten minutes to get to the front of the line he won't have time to eat) and were parked pretty close to the front of the school. A minute or two after we got there, someone dropped off their kid and left. The school's policy is that the doors open at 8:40 and there will be no supervision before then, and students are not allowed inside before then. With the first few kids, I was thinking "how rude of those parents to just drop those kids off 15 minutes early when the rules are very clear about when the doors open." However, by the time 8:40 rolled around, there were at least three dozen kids waiting in front of the doors. So now I don't know if this is one of those "we break the rules but the person that made the rules is OK with it" things, or if it was just a SS blizzard. My son was not happy that I wouldn't let him get out until 8:40--he saw his classmates and really wanted to go play with them.

The kids actually seemed to be doing pretty well by themselves. When it was just half a dozen kids, they were all running around chasing each other. A teacher walking in to the school reprimanded them and they calmed down until she left, then played a bit more, but as more kids started to come they broke off into groups and just stood around talking. This is a school for grades 2-5, so ages 7-11/12.

So I don't know. I'm guessing this is like my younger son's school, where people park in the bus loading zone during the times when it says "don't park in the bus loading zone," but they're gone before the buses actually come so no one throws a fit about it.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18477 on: December 18, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »
ica171 wrote:

"The school's policy is that the doors open at 8:40 and there will be no supervision before then, and students are not allowed inside before then. With the first few kids, I was thinking "how rude of those parents to just drop those kids off 15 minutes early when the rules are very clear about when the doors open." However, by the time 8:40 rolled around, there were at least three dozen kids waiting in front of the doors. So now I don't know if this is one of those "we break the rules but the person that made the rules is OK with it" things, or if it was just a SS blizzard. My son was not happy that I wouldn't let him get out until 8:40--he saw his classmates and really wanted to go play with them."

Unless there's a specific rule that kids can't be dropped off early, I don't see this as SS behavior.  I presume that the parents who drop off kids know that the kids are going to be outside unsupervised, and so as long as they don't expect that to change the mere act of leaving them at the door for twenty minutes isn't SS at all.  Why would dropping them at the door be any worse than having them stand at a bus stop for a quarter hour, and why would you think that "the doors open at 8:40 and no sooner" translates to "nobody is allowed to stand at the door before it opens"?

Virg

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #18478 on: December 18, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »
ica171 wrote:

"The school's policy is that the doors open at 8:40 and there will be no supervision before then, and students are not allowed inside before then. With the first few kids, I was thinking "how rude of those parents to just drop those kids off 15 minutes early when the rules are very clear about when the doors open." However, by the time 8:40 rolled around, there were at least three dozen kids waiting in front of the doors. So now I don't know if this is one of those "we break the rules but the person that made the rules is OK with it" things, or if it was just a SS blizzard. My son was not happy that I wouldn't let him get out until 8:40--he saw his classmates and really wanted to go play with them."

Unless there's a specific rule that kids can't be dropped off early, I don't see this as SS behavior.  I presume that the parents who drop off kids know that the kids are going to be outside unsupervised, and so as long as they don't expect that to change the mere act of leaving them at the door for twenty minutes isn't SS at all.  Why would dropping them at the door be any worse than having them stand at a bus stop for a quarter hour, and why would you think that "the doors open at 8:40 and no sooner" translates to "nobody is allowed to stand at the door before it opens"?

Virg

Probably because no one does that at my younger son's school. It is a school for younger kids (PK-1) but I see students there walking to school through the neighborhood so I know there are parents that allow their kids to walk alone. But you never see anyone even approaching that school before 8:35, and then the parents wait with the kids.

Isilleke

« Reply #18479 on: December 18, 2012, 12:24:37 PM »
I don't know what it is with cinema's that enrage people so much, but here goes.

The woman who was furious and demanded the police came because she was parked in with her three children who needed to get home to their bed. Our security went with her to see what could be done and discovered that she was parked illegally underneath a staircase and the others were parked where they should be. When informed that if she called the police they probably would ticket her she went ballistic.

The woman who started screaming at me because the movie was full (10 minutes before starting time the first weekend it was out) and that I was making her child cry. Then she said she wouldn't leave until I got them tickets. I told her she could stay but I couldn't get her tickets so I was going the help the people standing after her. She left after 2 minutes.
Or all the others for that matter who refuse to believe that when we say it's sold out, it's sold out! And after explaining that my boss closed the room and I therefore cannot even see what's left (because I do admit there probably are 2 or 3 seats lefts, but all very far apart - we have numbered seats) STILL continue to stand there and expect me to give them seats.