Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5393833 times)

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18495 on: December 19, 2012, 02:33:41 AM »
Sounds like she is driving what she may end up being buried in.

What an interesting assumption!

No more an assumption than 'He' and 'He'. English doesn't have (commonly used) gender neutral pronouns :D. You've got a 50% chance of being wrong...

Which is why a lot of people go s/he.  I do agree that, no matter what gender, that person is going to be buried in that car.

Still catching up, but had to say this.  English, for a language who has lost most of its gender agreement, except in rare cases like She for vehicles, and refers to most everything in neuter terms-- does NOT have a neuter pronoun itself.  At least, not a commonly agreed on.  Man and A (Ou in Middle) used to be it in Old English, with Wer and Wif, Heo and He as specific terms, but... :P

I love English.  My mum, an English major, calls it a language of no paternal commitment. :P
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:54:30 PM by Kaora »

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18496 on: December 19, 2012, 06:31:24 AM »
I have students in my public school class that don't celebrate Christmas. My end of the term parties have Christmas cookies if the kids bring them. I don't do the Christmas games and stuff we did as kids, because honestly the kids would rather play with their dolls, legos, handhelds and my Ipads, while eating their cookies and chips. Many of the parents of kids that don't do Christmas, let their kids stay because it is a end of term party not a over the top Christmas party.

Sent home a note. Got a note back that I was excluding Student because they are Christian and they would be donating chips but pulling their kid out that day to go to his sister's room. Where they will be doing similar things but that teacher used the word Christmas in the letter.

I admit that I'm probably over thinking fairness on this subject more this year. I filed a civil rights complaint about these sermons that an administrator was sending out on school email - quoting the Bible, telling us we had to live and teach by these principles in these quotes. The district and the administrator got their hands slapped. It was supposed to be anonymous  but I'm pretty sure one of the administrator's pets figured it out and told him.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Margo

« Reply #18497 on: December 19, 2012, 07:15:41 AM »
For the opposite of Special Snowflakes
Until last year it wasn't unusual for some students to beg us not to close for Thanksgiving, Winter, or Spring Breaks. If you asked them why they would say - No breakfast or Lunch. Now we have a local group that delivers a couple  hundred sack breakfasts/lunches every Friday. On long holidays they come every day at 11:00 and deliver the sack breakfasts/lunches to those that are signed up.

It used to be that not feeding your kids was called "neglect" and authorities were called.  When were schools designated this parental responsibility?  I can understand a lunch program because kids are there all day, but failing to feed them on school break is outrageous.  We have welfare, food stamps, community kitchens, churches, etc.  There is no excuse!

There are some people who don't have access to all those options, and besides many people live in areas without a way to get to a proper grocery store (google "food deserts").  A school lunch might be the most nutritious meal a kid receives.

Also many parents may not have the money to pay for gas/electricity and be unable to provide hot meals, or be neglectful as a result of the other pressures in their lives - yes, t's still neglect, but may not be blameworthy. It's easy to critisise when you've never been in that position yourself.

(My mother used to work in the special needs department of her local school. The department supported kids with learning difficulties, but also those who had behavioral issues. Many of the kids they supported were living in poverty and/or borderline neglect at home. The was no official way of providing these kids with a breakfast club (most were entitled to free school lunches) my Mum and her colleagues in the department decided to donate a few pounds every week to be able to give these children cereal and toast in the mornings - it made a massive difference to the kids' behavior and ability to learn when t hey weren't going into the morning hungry.
Many of them weren't getting breakfast because there was nothing in the house, and often got no cooked meal in the evening because the parents were out working and there was no one to cook it.  There are definitely people for whom the cost of an extra meal or two because the children are not at school pushes them over the tipping point (and parents may well already be going without meals in order to feed their children),

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18498 on: December 19, 2012, 10:57:57 AM »
For the opposite of Special Snowflakes
Until last year it wasn't unusual for some students to beg us not to close for Thanksgiving, Winter, or Spring Breaks. If you asked them why they would say - No breakfast or Lunch. Now we have a local group that delivers a couple  hundred sack breakfasts/lunches every Friday. On long holidays they come every day at 11:00 and deliver the sack breakfasts/lunches to those that are signed up.

It used to be that not feeding your kids was called "neglect" and authorities were called.  When were schools designated this parental responsibility?  I can understand a lunch program because kids are there all day, but failing to feed them on school break is outrageous.  We have welfare, food stamps, community kitchens, churches, etc.  There is no excuse!

You are right there are no excuses, but people do have reasons for not being able to feed themselves or their children adequately.  I went to school in the inner city and even when I transferred out to the county my school had a ton of students who NEEDED the school lunch program, and it's not a cut and dried as you may think.  There are many "bad' parents and SS out there.  But there are a whole lot more families who are one medical issue/cut hours/paycheck/etc away from losing everything.

Many government and community programs have to do a whole lot more, with a whole lot less and everyone suffers for it  It's slightly judgemental and a bit pearl clutchy to be outraged over a problem that you only see from the outside looking in.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #18499 on: December 19, 2012, 11:00:02 AM »
Hey guys, lets take the lunch subject to it's own thread before this one gets shut down.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #18500 on: December 19, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »
Hey guys, lets take the lunch subject to it's own thread before this one gets shut down.

You're right, Wulfie.  Although I have to admit that I was typing "are there no workhouses?" when you put this in.
"We ate the pies."

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18501 on: December 19, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »
A's grade school policy, which is well stated, is that no students should be dropped off before 845.  School starts at 9am.  Every other Thursday A and I need to leave the house early because the cleaners come at 815.  We get donuts and then hang out in the car down the street from the school.  He can leave at 845.

When I worked the bookfair, I needed to be there at 830 every morning to get ready.  The number of kids already on campus is amazing.  The principal sends home numerous phone messages about this - but no change.  Same with the red zone parkers, white zone parkers, and double parkers.

That policy must be awful for a lot of working parents!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18502 on: December 19, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »
A's grade school policy, which is well stated, is that no students should be dropped off before 845.  School starts at 9am.  Every other Thursday A and I need to leave the house early because the cleaners come at 815.  We get donuts and then hang out in the car down the street from the school.  He can leave at 845.

When I worked the bookfair, I needed to be there at 830 every morning to get ready.  The number of kids already on campus is amazing.  The principal sends home numerous phone messages about this - but no change.  Same with the red zone parkers, white zone parkers, and double parkers.

I agree - does the school think that only people who work within 15 minutes drive send their children there?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Moonie

« Reply #18503 on: December 19, 2012, 11:36:53 AM »
The DMV witnessed snowflake "Ibrokethelawsoiwilldestroystuff"-icus. Woman comes in to register her vehicle because it is in the tow lot for having a counterfeit tag from another state on it. BUT....she has no title, no paperwork proving ownership of the vehicle, so she is told she can't register it without proof of ownership. What does she do? She goes out into the hallway, pushes the elevator button, looks around to see if anyone is watching, and proceeds to donkey kick the glass on the mail chute. The beautiful antique mail chute is shattered. She was unaware that this was all on camera. The tow lot and our other office has been warned to be on the lookout for her. She will now face criminal charges for destruction of government property. Oh yeah, best part? She did this in front of her small child who was with her.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18504 on: December 19, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »

I agree - does the school think that only people who work within 15 minutes drive send their children there?

As I posted earlier, there are other options. Many tutoring centers or clubs like the YMCA provide before and after school care. It is not the school's job to care/supervise children dropped off earlier than the allowed time.

Otterpop

« Reply #18505 on: December 19, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »
You are right there are no excuses, but people do have reasons for not being able to feed themselves or their children adequately.  I went to school in the inner city and even when I transferred out to the county my school had a ton of students who NEEDED the school lunch program, and it's not a cut and dried as you may think.  There are many "bad' parents and SS out there.  But there are a whole lot more families who are one medical issue/cut hours/paycheck/etc away from losing everything.

Many government and community programs have to do a whole lot more, with a whole lot less and everyone suffers for it  It's slightly judgemental and a bit pearl clutchy to be outraged over a problem that you only see from the outside looking in.

No pearls to clutch here, I grew up on the INSIDE of that problem:  raised inner city with a working-poor widowed mother.  She made sure there meals available, even if we went to the local food bank.  Sometimes my uncle (who grew up during the depression) dumpster dove behind the local markets and sent us home with packages of still viable cheeses and such.

The SS parents next door would send their kids over to us for breakfast because of the smells coming from our kitchen.  My mother obliged, and once even gave them a bag of groceries.  The NEXT morning, the kids were back at our door because their mother couldn't be bothered to scramble an egg.  The ladies on the other side of us fed their kids oatmeal 3 times daily despite having cupboards stocked with groceries from our local charity.  They did party a lot and had food for "guests."

So to keep on topic, it is very SS to expect schools to not only provide education but also the basic needs for your child even when that institution is CLOSED for the holidays.  At that point, authorities with appropriate training and resources need to step in.  If it is a case of genuine need, and not neglect, help will be obtained.  I worked in the social services field for 8 years and never had one client go unaided.

Respectfully moderator, please delete this comment if you think inappropriate but it fits the topic (and clarifies my initial post).  This thread is too good to be locked.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18506 on: December 19, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »
The DMV witnessed snowflake "Ibrokethelawsoiwilldestroystuff"-icus. Woman comes in to register her vehicle because it is in the tow lot for having a counterfeit tag from another state on it. BUT....she has no title, no paperwork proving ownership of the vehicle, so she is told she can't register it without proof of ownership. What does she do? She goes out into the hallway, pushes the elevator button, looks around to see if anyone is watching, and proceeds to donkey kick the glass on the mail chute. The beautiful antique mail chute is shattered. She was unaware that this was all on camera. The tow lot and our other office has been warned to be on the lookout for her. She will now face criminal charges for destruction of government property. Oh yeah, best part? She did this in front of her small child who was with her.

Oh, charming. Poor kid.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Shalamar

« Reply #18507 on: December 19, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
Adelaide, your iPod story reminds me of one time when a co-worker brought in doughnuts.  After thanking her, a few of us helped ourselves.  Suddenly, a nearby co-worker started screaming "FOR PETE'S SAKE!  ALL I CAN HEAR IS YOU PEOPLE MAKING DISGUSTING 'MMMM' NOISES!  IT'S MAKING ME SICK!" before slamming out of the room.  We all stared at each other in stunned silence (we hadn't been making much noise, for the record). 

It turned out later that that co-worker was on a diet. 

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #18508 on: December 19, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »

Par for the course, I am afraid.  What probably would make it a classic is if the customer darts in 30 seconds before closing, screaming that they have to get what they need, AND from what little paperwork they have, it is obvious that the car was towed over a week ago and today is the last day to redeem it back before it goes up for auction.  But it is still MY fault that they are going to lose their car.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18509 on: December 20, 2012, 10:38:16 AM »
Shalamar wrote:

"It turned out later that that co-worker was on a diet."

Sounds more like she needed to be on meds or a psychologist's couch.

Virg