A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Special Snowflake Stories

<< < (3739/6002) > >>

artk2002:
We interrupt this broadcast to report... an astonishing lack of Special Snowflakes!

Mrs.k2002, the boys and I went to Disneyland on 12/28, which is one of the park's busiest days of the year. Amazingly, there really weren't any SSs to be seen, although I'm sure that the cast found more than a few. Several attractions were closed due to breakdowns, but I didn't hear anyone complaining. Lines for food were long, but everyone was courteous. I saw people sharing tables with strangers (as we did ourselves) because seating was at a premium for meals. I think the worst was an 8yo boy who elbowed past me in line to catch up with his parents. There were the usual groups of people stopping in awkward places, blocking traffic, but those were few and far-between. Maybe I'm just mellowing in my old age.

Well... we did see one real SS, but most of his specialness came outside of the park. For those not familiar with DL, there's a special off-ramp from the Interstate 5 car-pool lane* just for DL. It lets you onto the street right by the bridge that leads to the DL parking structure. We were tooling along in the car-pool lane, coming up behind a somewhat slow moving armored car, when I noticed the car behind me, tail-gating. Without admitting anything on my own part, officer, I can guarantee that that car was going well over the speed limit. I tapped my brakes but he kept tail-gating. There was no way I was going to push the armored car any faster. Once we got to the end of the off-ramp, he sped around me (on the right), passed the armored car (on the right, cutting it off) and zipped up the bridge to the parking. After all of that mad driving (suitable for Mr. Toad), the SS and his passengers ended up sitting right in front of us in the tram from the parking to the park.

*BG: Car-pool (or HOV) lanes in SoCal are separated from the rest of the freeway. You can't switch in or out of the lane except at specially designated points, so there's no way for either the SS or for me to change lanes.

Travel tip: If you come to the DL resort and visit Disney's California Adventure, I highly recommend getting reservations at the Carthay Circle restaurant. The food and drinks are fantastic. If you can't get reservations, at least have a drink (yes, they serve alcohol, unlike DL) and some appetizers at the Carthay Circle lounge.

weeblewobble:
Seriously, why is it always the grocery store?

I had a cartload of items when I arrived at the checkout, so I was careful to avoid the express lanes.  I arrived at the lane, after an elderly couple, just before another family - two parents and a woman in her late teens/early twenties. All three of us had equally full carts.  There was no question as to who got to the line in which order.  It was the elderly couple, me, and then the family.  But the young woman, rolled her eyes and huffed, as if I should have let them ahead of me for some reason I was unaware of.

I ignored her and unloaded my cart.  The young woman huffed to herself about how LONG people take unloading their carts, and how this whole store was just ridiculous for not getting people through line quicker.  Over and over, she whined about how LONG it was taking, she wanted to go home, this wait was ridiculous, couldn't people go faster?  With each gripe, she got louder and louder until it was absolutely clear that the cashier heard every word.

Finally, when the family got close enough to the register to put their items on the belt, they couldn't find the divider bar to separate our items. When she saw that the cashier didn't notice their "distress," the young woman stomped past, out of the store, loudly huffing, "This is RIDICULOUS. I am going HOME.  I hate this stupid place!"

All the while her parents placidly went through their grocery shopping.

Seriously, it was like seeing a five year old trapped in a 18/20 year old's body.

2littlemonkeys:

--- Quote from: weeblewobble on January 04, 2013, 02:52:22 PM ---Seriously, why is it always the grocery store?

I had a cartload of items when I arrived at the checkout, so I was careful to avoid the express lanes.  I arrived at the lane, after an elderly couple, just before another family - two parents and a woman in her late teens/early twenties. All three of us had equally full carts.  There was no question as to who got to the line in which order.  It was the elderly couple, me, and then the family.  But the young woman, rolled her eyes and huffed, as if I should have let them ahead of me for some reason I was unaware of.

I ignored her and unloaded my cart.  The young woman huffed to herself about how LONG people take unloading their carts, and how this whole store was just ridiculous for not getting people through line quicker.  Over and over, she whined about how LONG it was taking, she wanted to go home, this wait was ridiculous, couldn't people go faster?  With each gripe, she got louder and louder until it was absolutely clear that the cashier heard every word.

Finally, when the family got close enough to the register to put their items on the belt, they couldn't find the divider bar to separate our items. When she saw that the cashier didn't notice their "distress," the young woman stomped past, out of the store, loudly huffing, "This is RIDICULOUS. I am going HOME.  I hate this stupid place!"

All the while her parents placidly went through their grocery shopping.

Seriously, it was like seeing a five year old trapped in a 18/20 year old's body.

--- End quote ---

I think I met her at the DMV last summer!  I was renewing my DL and a mom, dad and teen girl came right after me.  Now, there was a wait but it was relatively short and you weren't standing in line, there was a waiting area with seats.  You got a number and were served when your number came up.  Most everyone there had some sort of activity to entertain them during the wait (reading, knitting, etc.) 

The moment they walked in, she started to complain and at one point told her mother that they weren't waiting and they were going home.  The mom said they traveled too far to just leave and they were staying.  So the girl then spent the rest of the visit (at least as long as I was there) complaining about how long they had to wait, how dumb it was they had to wait, what a waste of time it was to be there, blah, blah, blah.  I'm not sure why they were there but my mother would have told me to shut it or go wait in the car after the first complaint.  These parents did nothing but ignore her after the first exchange.

mmswm:
ACK! WeebleWobble!  For me it's driving that brings out the blizzards.  I'm not sure why, but after that marathon drive across the country two weeks ago, I decided to make the 700 mile trip to Atlanta late last night.  Oh, yeah.  I remember why I did it.  I wanted to visit my son, who's living with my sister for the school year.  At any rate, the number of SS drivers going up Tamiami Trail and I-75 in Florida, and then into Georgia is just astonishing.  When I'm less brain dead, I might post a story or twelve.

Midnight Kitty:

--- Quote from: mmswm on January 04, 2013, 03:08:27 PM ---When I'm less brain dead, I might post a story or twelve.

--- End quote ---
I believe you are now obliged to >:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version