Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5081973 times)

RooRoo

• I’m out of my mind. Please leave a message.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19215 on: January 29, 2013, 12:59:19 PM »
After the cop left, the guy who hit me said, "Little man, big gun, am I right?"
Yes. My mother taught me that anybody who flat-out refuses to be wrong is a Special Snowflake. Well, she didn't put it in those words, exactly. It was more along the lines of, "If you like to learn new things, listen, and be ready to admit you're wrong."

Here's a quote that covers it:

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation”
 Herbert Spencer (British social Philosopher, 1820-1903)

People who absolutely have to be right cause a lot of trouble in this ol' world. (Thanks, Mom.)
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Cami

« Reply #19216 on: January 29, 2013, 01:10:41 PM »
I think it's funny (and good) that the guy who hit you was agreeing with you and defending you.
Oh it was funny! We were a team!

Shalamar

« Reply #19217 on: January 29, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »
I don't have any stories about one, thank goodness, but I think flash mobs are by definition special snowflakes.

Aw, I love flash mobs, and being in one is on my bucket list.  That said, if they block traffic or cause inconvenience to anyone, yes, I agree about the SS status.

goldilocks

« Reply #19218 on: January 29, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »
A new one for me last night - SS Idontwannapayus.

I was leaving work right at about 5 last night, and pulled up to pay to get out of the parking garage (it's underground). I was second in line, right behind two guys in a red truck. The management of the parking garage has just changed, and we have new folks in the kiosk, so getting out has been taking longer recently. So, I wasn't too surprised when it took a couple minutes for the guys to pay.

But then it went on. And on. And on. I ended up putting my car in park, because by that time there were at least 3 other cars behind me and there was no where for me to go. The line wrapped completely around the building. At one point, the woman in the kiosk got out and sort of feebly flapped her hands at the people in line, but you couldn't see the end of the line at that point, and there wasn't anywhere for anyone to go. I asked her what was going on, but got no answer.

After another 5 minutes, she finally just waved the guys in the red truck through. I asked what happened when I was paying and she said that they just refused to pay. With the number of people backed up behind them, there wasn't a thing she could do, so she ended up paying their fee out of her pocket.

The guys in the truck were laughing and looking smug, knowing that they had the parking lady in a bind.

THis reminds me of something that happened years ago when I worked in a rather upscale restaurant.  The patrons would pay the server directly, and we had to settle up at the end of the night.   4 teenagers came in and skipped out on the check, which was about $50.  (early 80's!!!).   The server would have had to pay that out of her pocket, but she managed to chase them out to the parking lot, got the plate number and called the police.  Now, the kids saw her, and there is no doubt that they knew what they were doing, this was no accident.

So, the police find them within minutes and bring them back.  They try to pass it off as, oh, we forgot!!! so sorry!! etc etc.

The server presents them with the bill, which is now $75.  The kids start to argue, and the police tell them - we can discuss it here or downtown, your choice.  They decided $75 was reasonable.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #19219 on: January 29, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
I don't have any stories about one, thank goodness, but I think flash mobs are by definition special snowflakes.

It depends greatly on the flash mob.  If they're holding up traffic, blocking access to a store, etc. I can see how that's SS behavior.  However, often they're about brightening some strangers' days by doing something funny/quirky/cheerful, and if they can find a way to do that without inconveniencing anyone who doesn't want to be there, that's okay by me.  ImprovEverywhere has some fantastic flash mobs ("Look Up More" is one of my favorites, as is their Guerrilla Handbell Strikeforce).

mmswm

« Reply #19220 on: January 29, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »

It depends greatly on the flash mob.  If they're holding up traffic, blocking access to a store, etc. I can see how that's SS behavior.  However, often they're about brightening some strangers' days by doing something funny/quirky/cheerful, and if they can find a way to do that without inconveniencing anyone who doesn't want to be there, that's okay by me.  ImprovEverywhere has some fantastic flash mobs ("Look Up More" is one of my favorites, as is their Guerrilla Handbell Strikeforce).

And sometimes they're free entertainment by performers that normally command very high ticket prices.  I've seen a couple flash mobs that involved Broadway performers or major symphony/opera musicians.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

lyssabrittany

« Reply #19221 on: January 29, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »

I'm wondering though, was I an SS because my dog slipped out of its lead? Maybe I deserved their reaction?

You're not a SS, but neither are the couple whom your dog approached.  They had absolutely no way of knowing your dog was friendly, and for all anybody knows, they and their dog have been attacked before, so they are frightened when strange dogs approach them unleashed.  Their reaction was extreme, but not completely uncalled for.  I think the swearing and screaming was over the top, however and they should have apologized for that.

Your dog should absolutely not have been able to slip out of his collar.  Beagles have little heads and can easily get out of a regular collar, and I do think you should have known that.  A harness would be better for a beagle.  Lessons learned and all that.

Dogs should be able to slip their collars if they pull hard enough. This is to prevent them accidentally hanging themselves.

Firstly, thank you to everyone for the interesting replies. I do know that I was in the wrong for a) letting my dog slip her collar and b) chasing after her with the other dog in my hand.

The dog has never slipped her collar before. I don't know why it happened this time. No she does not need to be in a harness, they make her uncomfortable and difficult to control - she responds much better to a sharp tug around the neck (we've tried, she won't even walk with a harness on)

Maybe I was the SS for thinking the other people could remain in control of their animal and not try to seriously harm mine. She responded when I called stop but they kicked her, so of course she was going to get upset and anxious and not listen to me. When I was at puppy school, my instructor said that the best thing to do when a dog is running at you is to remain calm, control your own animal, use firm (not shouting) words and try to walk away. I have done this and even large dogs will just get bored and leave us alone. I understand the guy being scared, I would have been too, I was just really scared of him. He looked as though he might physically harm me if not for my friend. I have tightened Charlie's collar and changed my route.

I've since heard, from neighbours and other people I see on our regular walks, that this man will yell at anyone who even dares to walk on the same side of the road as him  :-\

I used to think flash mobs were very cool. That is, until I was confronted with one that blocked my way to uni so I couldn't get to class. People were standing around watching which made the crowd + flash mob take up so much space that the only option was for me to walk back the way I had come and around the long way - about 10 extra minutes. I was not happy.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19222 on: January 29, 2013, 05:06:03 PM »

I am generally not a fan, although I did like the handbell one. Mostly, they seem to block traffic IME.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

snowflake

« Reply #19223 on: January 29, 2013, 05:22:41 PM »
After the cop left, the guy who hit me said, "Little man, big gun, am I right?"
Yes. My mother taught me that anybody who flat-out refuses to be wrong is a Special Snowflake. Well, she didn't put it in those words, exactly. It was more along the lines of, "If you like to learn new things, listen, and be ready to admit you're wrong."

People who absolutely have to be right cause a lot of trouble in this ol' world. (Thanks, Mom.)

I actually know someone in the same situation where the insurance company of the person who hit her tried to sue her to pay for the damages of the car she was pushed into.  Nope.  It didn't go anywhere.

To the people who "have" to be right, I will add the people who use "Do you HAVE to be right?" as a way to try and win arguments.  I once had a crazy conversation when I corrected someone saying that we went an hour back for daylight savings in the spring.  She kept insisted that we go back and I insisted that we go forward and then offered to google it.  She said very scornfully, "Well I suppose you're the kind of person who likes to argue and HAS to be right."  Well, I don't have to be, but I AM.  The daylight savings time change is NOT a matter of opinion! 

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #19224 on: January 29, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »
When I was at puppy school, my instructor said that the best thing to do when a dog is running at you is to remain calm, control your own animal, use firm (not shouting) words and try to walk away.

Yes. Exactly. The people in your OP acted like panicky nincompoops and were fortunate not to have turned the situation into a disaster.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19225 on: January 29, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »
This is my favorite flash mob that I've seen yet.  And thankfully it's a song I know by heart so it's not a problem that I don't speak or understand Polish! LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXgCrhIevwU

I love the way they did it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hopefull

« Reply #19226 on: January 29, 2013, 07:32:54 PM »
Back onto stories of the "regular" kind of Special Snowflake - SS roadrulesdonotapplytome-us.

Driving behind someone the other day, and we both got on the same highway exit.  It's a cloverleaf exit, so you have to speed up pretty quickly once you're able to, in order to merge with traffic.  It being winter (snowy and all), people were going slower than normal, so I wasn't terribly surprised when the person in front of me wasn't accelerating very fast to merge onto the highway.  I was not, however, expecting them to slam on their brakes and STOP.  I almost drove into the car before I could stop.  I could see people coming up behind me who wouldn't be prepared to stop.  I honked at them repeatedly, and they finally started accelerating very slowly.  As soon as it was safe, I changed lanes and passed them quickly.  I still have no idea why whoever was driving thought it was okay to stop in the middle of a highway merge, nor do I know why they stopped.  As far as I could tell, there were no impediments to driving safely anywhere.

I was in an accident two weeks ago due to a SS like this. SS stops abruptly and for no apparent reason on an exit ramp. I slam on my brakes, move my car to the side as much as possible and guy behind me, hits me and pushes me into car in front of me. Which then, sped up and off and away, nowhere to be found.   What was especially infuriating was that the cops told me that they weren't going to look too hard for him as I and the driver behind me were 100% at fault, automatically, according to the laws of the state. Yes, the person in front of you can stop for no reason and if you hit them, it's always your fault.  I got a lovely little lecture about MY responsibility to always leave enough room to compensate for someone stopping dead in front of me and someone hitting me in the rear so as to "save" the idiot in front of me. Apparently the idiot in front of me had no responsibilty whatsoever.

This is a well-known insurance scam in the UK.  People will (occasionally having un-hooked their brake lights so they don't light when they brake) slam on the brakes at moments when they really shouldn't (when merging onto a motorway, when going round a roundabout, when driving down a clear, straight, multi-lane road), wait until you go into the back of them and will then claim for a multitude of car repairs and personal injuries.  Including to people who were *not* in the vehicle at the time.

You mean like this................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeZJzz3ltHw
“I felt this thrill going up my leg!”

Emmy

« Reply #19227 on: January 29, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »
What fun! Let's block traffic on a busy freeway and show off some stunt driving, film it, and post it on YouTube and Facebook for all to see!

For some reason, the Highway Patrol is not amused.

Sideshow stunt shuts down I-880 traffic in Oakland

What about the group of bikers who blocked the LA freeway so one of them could propose to his girlfriend?   I would not have been amused.  From what I understand, LA traffic is bad enough without something like this happening. 

Another one about SS motorcyclists.  DH and I were driving on a three lane highway in the middle lane.  About a half mile before we get to our exit, we notice a herd of bikers in the right lane.  DH puts his signal on that he wants to get in the right lane.  There must have been at least 50 bikers with no end in sight and nobody letting him in.  Right before our exit, DH sees an opening big enough and he fits in and gets off the highway.  One of the SS bikers yells at us because we dared to change lanes to get where we needed to go.  It is very SS to take up the whole road and not let others in.

Just for the record, I have nothing against motorcyclists, DH owns one.

snowdragon

« Reply #19228 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »
This is my favorite flash mob that I've seen yet.  And thankfully it's a song I know by heart so it's not a problem that I don't speak or understand Polish! LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXgCrhIevwU

I love the way they did it.

That was wonderful!  thank you

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #19229 on: January 29, 2013, 07:52:21 PM »
What fun! Let's block traffic on a busy freeway and show off some stunt driving, film it, and post it on YouTube and Facebook for all to see!

For some reason, the Highway Patrol is not amused.

Sideshow stunt shuts down I-880 traffic in Oakland

What about the group of bikers who blocked the LA freeway so one of them could propose to his girlfriend?   I would not have been amused.  From what I understand, LA traffic is bad enough without something like this happening. 

Another one about SS motorcyclists.  DH and I were driving on a three lane highway in the middle lane.  About a half mile before we get to our exit, we notice a herd of bikers in the right lane.  DH puts his signal on that he wants to get in the right lane.  There must have been at least 50 bikers with no end in sight and nobody letting him in.  Right before our exit, DH sees an opening big enough and he fits in and gets off the highway.  One of the SS bikers yells at us because we dared to change lanes to get where we needed to go.  It is very SS to take up the whole road and not let others in.

Just for the record, I have nothing against motorcyclists, DH owns one.

Sorry, but I have a feeling the biker was yelling at your for cutting in their line, which can pose a safety risk.  Why didn't your DH slow down a little to wait for them to pass so he could change lanes behind them?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.