Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5419918 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19245 on: January 30, 2013, 12:27:57 AM »
The girlfriend of one of our contracted employees rang my BIL yesterday. She asked nicely what job he was doing and when BIL told her, she proceeded to verbally abuse him for letting her boyfriend do a job which involved working with other women. BIL told her firmly (probably, I admit probably not very politely), that if he ever received another phone call like that from her she wouldn't have to worry, he wouldn't have any type of job. He also explained this to the employee.  Employee asked that BIL tell her if she rang again that he was doing his main job which does not involve interacting with any women.

Apparently, she used to wait outside the gate for him to get off work each day so he didn't talk to female coworkers.

Oy vey. :o
Wasn't there someone on here a few years ago who said that she didn't want her DH talking to other women at work, beyond the bare minimal needs of the job?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #19246 on: January 30, 2013, 01:03:30 AM »
What fun! Let's block traffic on a busy freeway and show off some stunt driving, film it, and post it on YouTube and Facebook for all to see!

For some reason, the Highway Patrol is not amused.

Sideshow stunt shuts down I-880 traffic in Oakland

What about the group of bikers who blocked the LA freeway so one of them could propose to his girlfriend?   I would not have been amused.  From what I understand, LA traffic is bad enough without something like this happening. 

Another one about SS motorcyclists.  DH and I were driving on a three lane highway in the middle lane.  About a half mile before we get to our exit, we notice a herd of bikers in the right lane.  DH puts his signal on that he wants to get in the right lane.  There must have been at least 50 bikers with no end in sight and nobody letting him in.  Right before our exit, DH sees an opening big enough and he fits in and gets off the highway.  One of the SS bikers yells at us because we dared to change lanes to get where we needed to go.  It is very SS to take up the whole road and not let others in.

Just for the record, I have nothing against motorcyclists, DH owns one.

Sorry, but I have a feeling the biker was yelling at your for cutting in their line, which can pose a safety risk.  Why didn't your DH slow down a little to wait for them to pass so he could change lanes behind them?

Well, he signaled his desire to merge a half mile ahead of their exit, there was a LONG line of bikers, and none letting him in - what was he supposed to do, come to a complete stop?

They're supposed to just make a gap and let him over?  That's not their responsibility.  Even slowing down by 5 MPH would get him behind them, so no, not a complete stop.  Planning ahead is also a good idea; I doubt they just appeared out of nowhere.  The OP's DH no doubt knew he was exiting, he should have planned accordingly instead of merging through a line of bikers (again, because of the safety risk).

Are you sure only 5mph would have  done it? When someone says "with no end in sight" I take that to mean that there's no end to the bike parade on the right in sight, and they're at least keeping pace with him!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #19247 on: January 30, 2013, 01:06:44 AM »
The girlfriend of one of our contracted employees rang my BIL yesterday. She asked nicely what job he was doing and when BIL told her, she proceeded to verbally abuse him for letting her boyfriend do a job which involved working with other women. BIL told her firmly (probably, I admit probably not very politely), that if he ever received another phone call like that from her she wouldn't have to worry, he wouldn't have any type of job. He also explained this to the employee.  Employee asked that BIL tell her if she rang again that he was doing his main job which does not involve interacting with any women.

Apparently, she used to wait outside the gate for him to get off work each day so he didn't talk to female coworkers.

I hope BIL told Employee that he is NOT Employee's messenger service!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Coruscation

« Reply #19248 on: January 30, 2013, 01:35:11 AM »

Wasn't there someone on here a few years ago who said that she didn't want her DH talking to other women at work, beyond the bare minimal needs of the job?

Yes, but i think she was expecting him to police himself, not asking his boss to get involved.

Amava

« Reply #19249 on: January 30, 2013, 01:36:48 AM »

I hope BIL told Employee that he is NOT Employee's messenger service!
Indeed.
I don't think BIL should lie to the employee's girlfriend. I don't think he should tell her the truth either. I think he should tell her: "I don't discuss that." or "I don't give out that kind of information."

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #19250 on: January 30, 2013, 03:52:47 AM »
part of the privledge of driving on the road is you must be respectful towards other vehicles sharing that road

If those bikers cant be respectful enough to share the road and let users change into their lane to get to exits then they dont belong on the road.  they dont own the road

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #19251 on: January 30, 2013, 04:13:58 AM »
part of the privledge of driving on the road is you must be respectful towards other vehicles sharing that road

If those bikers cant be respectful enough to share the road and let users change into their lane to get to exits then they dont belong on the road.  they dont own the road

I agree.  It's very nerve-wracking when you can't merge because nobody will let you in, and people behind you are getting impatient.  If there was room for the car to safely merge, then they had every right to do so.  If traffic is really bad, and nobody is letting you in, you could end up sitting there for a long time.  I would think the same thing if it was a row of cars or trucks not letting a motorcyclist merge.  It's that kind of cooperation that helps people to avoid accidents.

suzieQ

« Reply #19252 on: January 30, 2013, 07:36:56 AM »
I think the bikers were in the wrong as well, but if I were caught in that situation, I would speed up to pass them and get off at the next exit before I would slow down to a crawl on the highway.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #19253 on: January 30, 2013, 08:13:14 AM »

Erm, I don't think that's the right solution.  I hope your BIL doesn't feel the need to lie.  That woman sounds like a nightmare and the relationship looks doomed to me.

buvezdevin

« Reply #19254 on: January 30, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »

I agree.  It's very nerve-wracking when you can't merge because nobody will let you in, and people behind you are getting impatient.  If there was room for the car to safely merge, then they had every right to do so.  If traffic is really bad, and nobody is letting you in, you could end up sitting there for a long time.  I would think the same thing if it was a row of cars or trucks not letting a motorcyclist merge.  It's that kind of cooperation that helps people to avoid accidents.

This was certainly my thinking, and I was surprised at boyfriend's view, and his absolute certainty of its correctness.  So - just googled "rules of the road motorcycle pack" and will be sending boyfriend some links, including the one below.  It says, in part, "if a vehicle wants  to break through the pack on a multi-lane road, give them space to safely do so... Motorcycles do not own the road."

http://www.gmasw.com/riderule.pdf
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #19255 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28:56 AM »

And expecting people to over- or undershoot their exits is ridiculous. Maybe they know the area, and maybe they don't.  If I'm not familiar with an area and I know I'm supposed to get off at exit 36, how do I know whether it's safe to get off at exit 37?  The bikers needed to let the guy in. They're not a funeral procession and they're not a group of emergency vehicles. They have no entitlement to stay together on the road.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

SiotehCat

« Reply #19256 on: January 30, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »

Yes, but i think she was expecting him to police himself, not asking his boss to get involved.

That was me.

Thank you, Coruscation. You are absolutely correct. I would never call his boss or anyone else at his place of employment.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19257 on: January 30, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »
I had one at work last night. Let me say that out return policy at my store used to be anything goes. In that, we'd take anything back, any time, no problem.  No receipt, sure, we'll take it back. No ticket on the item, again, sure, we'll take it back. And there were no time limits. We'd take things back if they were worn, say shoes, that hurt feet, or pants that were "too loose" after a wearing, becasue you bought them loose, sure, we'll take them back.

As time went on, company policy changed. I'd say about 4 years ago. We now have a 90 day return policy, which is more than generous, and we will only take things back with a receipt, or tag on, etc. if you can't find your receipt, but have the ticket on the item, if we can find it in your customer history, we can get the receipt info, and therefore, do your return, IF its within the 90 day period.  Now if the merchandise is defective, yes,

No ticket and no receipt, sorry, you are out of luck. I don't make policy, but I do have to enforce it.  So customer has an item she wants to return, but has no ticket and no receipt. Normally, I'd have to refuse, but the manager allowed me to see if we had another one, which we did, so I could make a ticket up, and i found her receipt info, so all was good.

She then returned a couple of other items on the receipt, which had tags. Again, no problem.

The problem arose when she wanted to return a pair of worn, but washed, socks. Saying they were defective beacuse they didn't stay up. But she had no ticket, and no receipt.  I told her i'd have to ask the manager, which I did, who said no.  SS was not happy, saying well, you have them over there (which I don't know if we had the exact ones or not) and carrying on.  I told her I was sorry, but the manager said no.  She then continued with PA comments about how much she spends and how we COULD do it, but the manager was just being a stickler.  Yes, she is following policy. Socks that don't stay up really aren't "defective", therefore she refused the return.

SS then returned the one item she had been going to keep, adn made some more comments. I then told the manager, in case it came back to bite her i.e. customer complained about her. Manager then called CS herself, and was told she was fine, it was her decision, and she handled things correctly.

I am so very tired of people wanting to bring things back for all sorts of reasons. IF there is a legitimate issue, fine, but in this case, it was a gray area, and the manager chose to act in a way that the customer wasn't happy with.

exitzero

« Reply #19258 on: January 30, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »

Sounds like someone I used to work with, Bill. This was in the days before cell phones. His wife would drop him at the train station, and when he reached his stop, he would RUN to the pay phone to call his wife to let her know that he arrived. Then he would RUN to the office (which was only about 1/2 a block away) and get right on the phone to let her know he was there. He would then call her maybe 15 or 20 times a day. (He was reprimanded over this, so he started sneaking around to other people's desks or the pay phones in the lobby, because his wife not ALLOW him to go all day without calling her).

One day a coworker was retiring, and we were all going out to a local bar to say goodbye. Bill called his wife to see if he could go. He passed the phone to me. Mind you, I had NEVER talked to this woman before. She asked me where we going, how many people would be going, would there be drinking there? Seeing as it was in a bar, well, probably. Then she asked if there would be women there. Seeing as I was going, and the person retiring was a woman, and there were several other women in the office, yup, I suppose. Then, NO NO NO, Bill was not ALLOWED to go.

Some guys in the office gave him a hard time, so he came up with a plan. He RAN to the bar, downed a soft drink, said "goodbye" to the retiree and RAN to the subway. He told his wife the subway had delays. He was very proud of his deviousness.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #19259 on: January 30, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »
How awful.  Reminds me of my grandparents' horribly codependent and dysfunctional marriage.