Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5733848 times)

snowdragon

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19290 on: January 31, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #19291 on: January 31, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
http://gawker.com/5980558/pastor-who-left-sanctimonious-tip-gets-waitress-fired-from-applebees-claims-her-reputation-was-ruined

I think all parties are guilty of being SS's here but more so the Pastor.

I don't think the waitress was all that SS.  The pastor is a standalone blizzard.

snowdragon

« Reply #19292 on: January 31, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »
http://gawker.com/5980558/pastor-who-left-sanctimonious-tip-gets-waitress-fired-from-applebees-claims-her-reputation-was-ruined

I don't think the waitress was all that SS.  The pastor is a standalone blizzard.

I think she was for posting the reciept with the pastor's info on it should have blacked out her name then posted it.

Reika

« Reply #19293 on: January 31, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »

I think she was for posting the reciept with the pastor's info on it should have blacked out her name then posted it.

I dunno, someone who is supposed to be a moral pillar of her community pulling that kind of garbage deserves a little public humiliation.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #19294 on: January 31, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »

OK, I haven't looked at the whole thing, but did she actually include the pastor's info, or did others hunt it down? I ask because of this line in the article: "For her part, Welch did what she could to avoid having Bell's identity exposed, asking Reddit to stop posting the personal information of potential culprits." Also, it would not be the first time clever Redditers managed to hunt down someone like this.

So I think the SS is all the pastor - she is the one who refused to tip (I would hope she knows how little wait staff are paid), then demanded Applebee's FIRE everyone who witnessed her little blizzard, and in all this hasn't apologized once for ripping off the waitress or getting her fired - she's only sorry that she's been embarrassed publicly (read: caught). If I were waiting tables in her town, I'd be very hesitant to serve any table she was sitting at.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

thedudeabides

« Reply #19295 on: January 31, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »

OK, I haven't looked at the whole thing, but did she actually include the pastor's info, or did others hunt it down? I ask because of this line in the article: "For her part, Welch did what she could to avoid having Bell's identity exposed, asking Reddit to stop posting the personal information of potential culprits." Also, it would not be the first time clever Redditers managed to hunt down someone like this.

So I think the SS is all the pastor - she is the one who refused to tip (I would hope she knows how little wait staff are paid), then demanded Applebee's FIRE everyone who witnessed her little blizzard, and in all this hasn't apologized once for ripping off the waitress or getting her fired - she's only sorry that she's been embarrassed publicly (read: caught). If I were waiting tables in her town, I'd be very hesitant to serve any table she was sitting at.

The initial picture included the pastor's signature.  She didn't think anyone could read it, but after she started getting lots of incorrect guesses as to who it was, she changed the picture to redact the signature.  Someone figured it out anyway, and the pastor called the restaurant and demanded that everyone be fired.  EVERYONE from the wait staff to the manager.  For her arrogance.  I fall pretty firmly in the camp of "Pastor was a complete SS."

mmswm

« Reply #19296 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »
I had to deal with SS-Idon'twannasharetheroad today.

One of the larger intersections in town was most decidedly *not* built with today's traffic and vehicle size in mind.  The city has done the best they can without bulldozing historic buildings, but several of these intersections are definitely not large enough to manage the use they get. This holds particularly true for semis trying to turn.  It is important to note that Krome is a popular alternative for truckers wanting to avoid the heavy traffic on US1 and the expressways or the tolls on the turnpike.

I was heading eastbound on 8th (Campbell) and wanting to turn right on Krome (177th AVE).  I was behind a semi who was also trying to turn right. There's a left and right hand turn lane and a through lane on 8th and on Krome there's the north and south travel lane plus a left turn lane on the north side of the intersection.  In order for the truck to have enough space, it needs to swing out into the westbound through lane and swing into the turn lane on the north side of the intersection.  Everybody knows this and generally makes concessions for the truckers.  This time was almost no different.

The traffic going southbound on Krome but wanting to turn east onto 8th stopped short enough for the truck to have enough space.  As he was swinging out into the through lane, SS-Idon'twannashare the road whips out from behind me and passes me.  By this time the trucker has the through lane blocked.  She then tucks in behind him (I'd stayed put) and stops really close to his back bumper. I have no idea what her objective was in trying to pass me, but if she really wanted to get around him, she could have gone west another couple blocks and run north on the next road that runs north for any substantial distance.  Of course this would be the time when the trucker mis-judged distance and really needed to back up a few inches.  He couldn't do that because she (and I know it was a she, since I saw her clearly) kept right up at his bumper as he inched forward. The entire line of traffic in the turn lane on 8th St backed up instead.  He was finally able to make his turn.  The SS then proceeds to travel several miles down Krome within inches of his bumper.

Here's the intersection just in case my description was confusing.

On another note, I do think the city needs to ban truckers from turning at that intersection, but for the moment, it's not illegal for them to turn there, so other than trying to make sure they have the space they need, there's not much we can do.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #19297 on: January 31, 2013, 03:26:16 PM »
The initial picture included the pastor's signature.  She didn't think anyone could read it, but after she started getting lots of incorrect guesses as to who it was, she changed the picture to redact the signature.  Someone figured it out anyway, and the pastor called the restaurant and demanded that everyone be fired.  EVERYONE from the wait staff to the manager.  For her arrogance.  I fall pretty firmly in the camp of "Pastor was a complete SS."

Ahhhhh... I only saw the version with the signature cut out, but yea, the waitress SHOULD have cut or at least blurred the daylights out of the signature before posting ANYTHING.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #19298 on: January 31, 2013, 04:07:06 PM »

Ahhhhh... I only saw the version with the signature cut out, but yea, the waitress SHOULD have cut or at least blurred the daylights out of the signature before posting ANYTHING.

Agreed. But I still think that's an error in judgment (plus the rusk of PD) rather than SS-ness.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

wheeitsme

« Reply #19299 on: January 31, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »

Agreed. But I still think that's an error in judgment (plus the rusk of PD) rather than SS-ness.
Well, she's paid for that.  She was fired.

PeterM

« Reply #19300 on: January 31, 2013, 08:15:43 PM »
Well, she's paid for that.  She was fired.

Yeah. Which I think is fair, honestly. She distributed information that identified and denigrated a patron of her employer's establishment. I don't see it the way she does, that the restaurant chose the angry patron over the good employee. I see it as they fired an employee who went over the line.

If she'd done what was required to obscure the patron's identity from the very beginning, I might see things differently.

The patron, of course, went so far over the line she's gonna need six months of hard travel and an experienced guide to make her way back home. But that's a separate issue. Best part, for me, is if this story had never gone beyond "Person paying bill doesn't think the service she received was worth the auto-gratutiy," I'd be on the pastor's side, or at least sympathetic. Way to ruin your case, lady.

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #19301 on: January 31, 2013, 09:12:56 PM »
I don't want to walk five feet SS.  A and I go for donuts every other Thursday before school.  We buy them and sit in the car to eat them.  A car pulled in front of the donut shop, which is a drive through area, not a parking space, and got out.  There were empty spaces 10 feet away.  Apparently that was too far away because her toddler was left in the car while mommy got donuts and she left the engine running.  Seriously stupid.  I timed her.  She was in there 4 minutes.  Not long, but long enough for someone to jump into your car with your toddler and drive off.  Never mind that you were blocking a thru area.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19302 on: January 31, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »
Yeah. Which I think is fair, honestly. She distributed information that identified and denigrated a patron of her employer's establishment. I don't see it the way she does, that the restaurant chose the angry patron over the good employee. I see it as they fired an employee who went over the line.

If she'd done what was required to obscure the patron's identity from the very beginning, I might see things differently.

I agree with that. I think the pastor was definitely in the wrong, but the waitress deserved to be fired for posting a customer's personal information.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #19303 on: January 31, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »
I got to report a SS Conductor Disastrato Snowflake today.

BF was driving my sissie and I home from his house today, and we turned out onto a street which is famous for people going above the speed limit, being a fairly wide road for a residential area.  So, seeing this black car pass us, about 20 MPH higher than we were, was annoying, but not at all unusual for the area.

We were coming up on a stoplight that was Green turn left, Red straight.  They were sitting in the straight lane, and decided to turn with the Green, even though that turn is protected, thus illegal.

We ended up being behind them for a fair bit heading into a downtown area, and we watched them turn into a parking spot infront of a shop, right on the intersection, then back out and nearly hit another car that was making a left hand turn.

We made it to McDonalds, our original plan, and BF let me use his phone to call the non-emergency police number.  Why yes, it's a fairly unusual car (Saturn Sky), and I got all his details, like license plate, color, newness of make (the car only saw a couple years of production), everything but the driver's description.

I can't wait to read the police logs tomorrow.

JoW

« Reply #19304 on: January 31, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »
Special snowflake I-control-the-tv

I encountered a snowflake at McDonalds this evening.  When I arrived she was at the counter talking to the clerk.  She went to her table, then came back complaining about the program that was on the tv.  She complained several more times, even getting the manager involved.  The problem was that CNN was talking about a “scrabble” scandal and her kids could see and hear the story.

There is only one tv in that Mc Donalds.  There is only one table where that tv can be heard.  There are several tables where the tv cannot be seen or heard.  The McDonalds was nearly empty.  The snowflake could have moved her kids to any of at least a dozen tables where they couldn’t hear the TV.   Or she could have moved them to one of the 4 where the tv can’t be seen or heard.  But no, she had to have the tv channel changed.