Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5531158 times)

CrochetFanatic

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19305 on: February 01, 2013, 02:43:01 AM »
Yeah. Which I think is fair, honestly. She distributed information that identified and denigrated a patron of her employer's establishment. I don't see it the way she does, that the restaurant chose the angry patron over the good employee. I see it as they fired an employee who went over the line.

If she'd done what was required to obscure the patron's identity from the very beginning, I might see things differently.

I agree with that. I think the pastor was definitely in the wrong, but the waitress deserved to be fired for posting a customer's personal information.

I don't think she deserved to be fired for that.  Disciplined, yes, but not fired.  I'm probably wrong, I guess; that's just my opinion.

crella

« Reply #19306 on: February 01, 2013, 05:43:18 AM »
I think that there were perhaps other options, the customer could have been informed of the 18% tip for groups policy...there were better ways to handle it than posting the receipt on the internet. Sometimes people won't tip. It's wrong, but you can't force someone to tip. There are unkind customers out there, but I think the waitress went too far.

Margo

« Reply #19307 on: February 01, 2013, 06:57:33 AM »
Yeah. Which I think is fair, honestly. She distributed information that identified and denigrated a patron of her employer's establishment. I don't see it the way she does, that the restaurant chose the angry patron over the good employee. I see it as they fired an employee who went over the line.

If she'd done what was required to obscure the patron's identity from the very beginning, I might see things differently.

I agree with that. I think the pastor was definitely in the wrong, but the waitress deserved to be fired for posting a customer's personal information.

I don't think she deserved to be fired for that.  Disciplined, yes, but not fired.  I'm probably wrong, I guess; that's just my opinion.

That would be my view, too. Particularly as she apparently didn't think that the customer would be identifiable as the signature wasn't very legible. To my mind, that does make a difference - she didn't set out to name and shame this woman.
(And I have to say, the Pastor missed a fantastic opportunity to display Christian charity and to ask the restaurant to re-instate the waitress!)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #19308 on: February 01, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »

That would be my view, too. Particularly as she apparently didn't think that the customer would be identifiable as the signature wasn't very legible. To my mind, that does make a difference - she didn't set out to name and shame this woman.
(And I have to say, the Pastor missed a fantastic opportunity to display Christian charity and to ask the restaurant to re-instate the waitress!)

The pastor was the one who demanded she be fired.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19309 on: February 01, 2013, 07:06:53 AM »
http://gawker.com/5980558/pastor-who-left-sanctimonious-tip-gets-waitress-fired-from-applebees-claims-her-reputation-was-ruined

I think all parties are guilty of being SS's here but more so the Pastor.

I don't think the waitress was all that SS.  The pastor is a standalone blizzard.

I think she was for posting the reciept with the pastor's info on it should have blacked out her name then posted it.

OK, I haven't looked at the whole thing, but did she actually include the pastor's info, or did others hunt it down? I ask because of this line in the article: "For her part, Welch did what she could to avoid having Bell's identity exposed, asking Reddit to stop posting the personal information of potential culprits." Also, it would not be the first time clever Redditers managed to hunt down someone like this.

So I think the SS is all the pastor - she is the one who refused to tip (I would hope she knows how little wait staff are paid), then demanded Applebee's FIRE everyone who witnessed her little blizzard, and in all this hasn't apologized once for ripping off the waitress or getting her fired - she's only sorry that she's been embarrassed publicly (read: caught). If I were waiting tables in her town, I'd be very hesitant to serve any table she was sitting at.
I hope Reddit and maybe others keep going after this pastor and Applebees for firing the waitress. The pastor deserved to be exposed as a cheap so and so who would deny fair wage to someone who is underpaid and dependent on tips. Especially trying to pass it off as a pious act. As long as her credit card number was not exposed I have no problem with what the waitress did.

It also shocks me the pastor didn't know that the charge was going to go through either way. The only time I've ever heard of restaraunts not charging the over X number of people service charge was with Dad. The owners where his friends and business associates and knew that he would tip a good deal more than their service charge if they left it off.

ETA - The information about the service charge is on Applebees Menus not just on the credit slip.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:15:28 AM by kherbert05 »
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #19310 on: February 01, 2013, 08:16:17 AM »
Can we move waitress/pastor to a new thread, please.

On a good note, Applebees did hire the waitress back, according to a headline a saw, either last night or this morning.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19311 on: February 01, 2013, 09:46:32 AM »
Can we move waitress/pastor to a new thread, please.

On a good note, Applebees did hire the waitress back, according to a headline a saw, either last night or this morning.

That IS good, as it was probably an oversight on her part.  Okay, shutting up about it now.  :D

Shalamar

« Reply #19312 on: February 01, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Special snowflake I-control-the-tv

That reminds me of a very drunk SS I saw outside a Tim Horton's early one Sunday morning (very early - about 2:00 a.m.  Therefore, he had probably just left a bar).  He was about to enter the Tim Horton's when he took offense to a taxi that was idling nearby, its daytime running lights on.  He started screaming "TURN OFF YOUR BLANKETY-BLANK LIGHTS!  YOU'RE BLINDING MEEEE!  TURN THEM OFF!"  The taxi driver ddn't comply, whereupon Mr. Drunk SS went into the Timmie's and berated the poor clerk, waving his arms around like a windmill.   

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #19313 on: February 01, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
This SS gets comeuppance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-21292873

SS decides to park their car in cordoned off area, in doing so moving barricades etc. 
Work men come and strip the asphalt all around the car, leaving it on a little island.

I would Love to see their face when they get back to the car.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19314 on: February 01, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »
This SS gets comeuppance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-21292873

SS decides to park their car in cordoned off area, in doing so moving barricades etc. 
Work men come and strip the asphalt all around the car, leaving it on a little island.

I would Love to see their face when they get back to the car.
YOu stole my idea out of my head ;) (That is what one of my students says - when someone makes a comment/gives an answer he wanted to make)

I came here to post this story - if anyone sees a follow up with the owner please please please post it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mmswm

« Reply #19315 on: February 01, 2013, 11:46:21 PM »
You know, as much as I've complained about my mother, she has one good thing going for her.  In spite of all the issues, she and my father managed to raise 4 kids (and working on 2 more) who are compassionate, loving adults.

My mother and I just returned from picking up a friend of hers who was stranded at a bus stop.  The friend's bus was running late, so she missed the last bus on the route that runs through her house.  My mom's friend is in her mid-50's and was stranded at a bus stop in a rather bad part of town.  Mom took me with her because she didn't want to drive there alone.  Mom's friend's adult daughter lives with her but couldn't be bothered to pick up her own mother, telling her to walk the 20 blocks instead.  At 10:30pm.  On a Friday night.  Alone in a very rough neighborhood. The daughter has no excuse.  She had no kids at home, has a working car and wasn't otherwise occupied.  She just didn't want to miss her tv show.   Now mom's friend has several other adult children who are all quite lovely people, though they don't live anywhere nearby.  The SS daughter is the anomoly.  I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that this woman expected her mother to walk alone like that.   
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19316 on: February 02, 2013, 09:07:53 AM »
Wow, that is selfish!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jocelyn

« Reply #19317 on: February 02, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »

The cop was one of those people who give knee-jerk reactions and can't bring themselve to say "I was wrong" when they realize they're not making any sense. ("You were behind him, so you should have stopped ... you were stopped? ... Uhn, well, IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE, SEE?")

I am reminded of the time in Faculty Senate when the university counsel proclaimed that we were not to do on overnight field trips anything we could not do in the classroom.

It started with, 'Brushing our teeth? Taking a shower?' and went downhill from there. Like, Grand Canyon downhill. The Mighty Professoriat Rides Again!

Adelaide

« Reply #19318 on: February 02, 2013, 02:33:36 PM »
My mother is perpetually either a) watching what she eats or b) espousing the doctrine of "Just thirty minutes of exercise a dayyyyy" which I have posted about before. Her latest tactic is letting everyone know that she's watching what she eats. I can't tell if that's for her benefit or if she's trying to be PA about it like she was when she repeatedly mentioned 30 minutes of exercise a day.

Well, my father and I were talking about where we wanted to go for dinner or if we wanted to cook. We'd eaten lunch at an Italian place and had all had pasta with some sort of cream sauce. Dad brought up the idea of eating Chinese, and my mother clutched at her stomach and said "No, not tonight, I just had pasta for lunch and that would be too rich for me to eat something like that twice in one day." To which Dad and I shrugged and started talking about somewhere else. My mother, unsolicited, interrupted with "I just have to eat something cleaner if I eat pasta for lunch, I may eat a piece of fish and some vegetables." To which my father suggested another restaurant and my mother said "Oh no, I couldn't go out twice in one day, they put so many sauces and preservatives and calories in things now" and which point my father said that was fine, we could stay home. He asked her if she wanted the leftovers in the fridge, at which point she heaved a martyred sigh and replied that no, those were far too rich for her tastes and she just wanted to eat cleanly for the rest of the evening, because she didn't usually splurge like she did at lunch. It was just so unusual for her to eat unhealthily like that but she did it every now and again, etc. etc. When Dad and I finished the leftovers she cooked her food and while we were eating turned to me and said "This is what I like to eat after I eat something rich and fatty for lunch, it's really good for you."  I swear it never ends with her.

SDG31000

« Reply #19319 on: February 02, 2013, 02:51:42 PM »
I took DS1 to have an eye test and to choose some new glasses on Friday.  it was busier than I expected, but the staff were working hard and getting everyone seen as quickly as possible.  I was waiting for DS1 to finish his eye exam and a woman came in with two small children, a girl and a boy.  The little girl seemed to delight in winding her brother up and the little boy kept walking around the store and touching things, getting behind the counter and generally getting in the way.  His Mom told him to stop by telling him that the man behind the counter would tell him off if he continued.  She also made no effort to get up off her chair and stop him.  Bad enough, but then when he was trying to spray lens cleaner everywhere, her response was to tell a member of staff to tell him off for doing it  :o  The staff member stuttered a bit and then asked the little boy to leave things alone.  I know that it is hard work taking small children out on errands, but it is not up to other people to parent your children.