Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5423967 times)

snowdragon

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19395 on: February 08, 2013, 12:16:34 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/02/teenager-arrested-for-impersonating-doctor/

Australian teen arrested for impersonating a Dr. at a hospital where he was dismissed from volunteering

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19396 on: February 08, 2013, 12:22:22 AM »
2. Today I find out my oldest son seems to think he's above homework and the teachers will just hand out good grades and he can get away with lying to everyone without any consequences or anyone finding out.   This is not the first time he's lied about homework but I thought he'd learned his lesson.  Told his teacher "I don't have time for homework!" Guess who's going to be finding he has a lot of time now that he won't be watching tv or playing on the computer for a good while?
One of mine tried that too.  Told me she didn't have any homework, told the teacher that she didn't have time to do her homework because of "all the housework" that I made her do.  "All the housework" consisted of either cleaning the catbox or setting the table, alternating days with her sister.  Fifteen minutes tops, even including the time she spent arguing that it wasn't her turn to do it.  (2 minutes, without the arguing!)  Teacher called me, explaining as if to a half-wit how important it was for DD to do homework.  I enlightened her as to the extent of "all the housework."  Daughter got grounded, and if she ever came home and told me she didn't have any homework, I gave her some.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Iris

« Reply #19397 on: February 08, 2013, 12:44:03 AM »
2. Today I find out my oldest son seems to think he's above homework and the teachers will just hand out good grades and he can get away with lying to everyone without any consequences or anyone finding out.   This is not the first time he's lied about homework but I thought he'd learned his lesson.  Told his teacher "I don't have time for homework!" Guess who's going to be finding he has a lot of time now that he won't be watching tv or playing on the computer for a good while?
One of mine tried that too.  Told me she didn't have any homework, told the teacher that she didn't have time to do her homework because of "all the housework" that I made her do.  "All the housework" consisted of either cleaning the catbox or setting the table, alternating days with her sister.  Fifteen minutes tops, even including the time she spent arguing that it wasn't her turn to do it.  (2 minutes, without the arguing!)  Teacher called me, explaining as if to a half-wit how important it was for DD to do homework.  I enlightened her as to the extent of "all the housework."  Daughter got grounded, and if she ever came home and told me she didn't have any homework, I gave her some.

I may have done that to my mother when I was young *tries to look innocent*... She was not a happy lady when the teacher called. Not happy at all.

OTOH now that I am a teacher I already know alllllllllllll the excuses. You'd be amazed quickly how a well placed "Oh, that's a shame, I'd better ring your mum to have a word about that" leads to students suddenly finding a window in their busy, busy, schedule.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19398 on: February 08, 2013, 07:01:53 AM »
Well apparently, since the teacher did call me, the child had not backed up and suddenly realized how much free time he actually had so he got good and embarrassed when he was called out on his lie.  And to credit his teacher, she told me she had a feeling he was not being honest with her, as when I told her the truth she said "Yep, that's what I thought."   

I talked to him, his father talked to him and my best friend talked to him and I just talked to him some more before sending him off to school.   I told him honestly about the guy in the #1 in that list who has lied so much to people he doesn't even know the truth anymore.  The wife told me he will deny that he smoked even after she's found cigarettes in the house and he reeks of smoke.  I also pointed out that this guy does about 10 hours a week of honest work and spends the rest of his day drinking, watching tv or playing video games.   He doesn't want to get a divorce and move out because it means he will have to get a job where he can actually pay his own way and give up the time to drink and goof off.   

I asked my son if he wants to be like this guy and he shook his head emphatically so I told him to knock off the lying and laziness right now.   Plus the child wants to be an acolyte (altar boy) at our church. He's already done it twice as a pinch hitter when a scheduled acolyte doesn't show.  I told him if he wants to be doing something like that he needs to knock off the deceitfulness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19399 on: February 08, 2013, 07:32:07 AM »
Can we ditch the bad husband and get back to SS stories, please?
Words mean things.

Shalamar

« Reply #19400 on: February 08, 2013, 11:19:49 AM »
I'd love a spin-off thread - something like "My Kid Is Driving Me Crazy!".  :)

Back to SS stuff - I have a co-worker who's a fair bit older than I am (he's in his mid-to-late 50's, I'm 48).  However, he's been at this company for only about three years, whereas I've been here for ten.  Why, then, does he act like I know nothing and he knows everything?  Wild guess:  because he's a guy and I'm not. 

Today, he came to me and said "I got a work call last night - details about the work call."  I said "Oh, yes - that sort of situation is written up in our documentation."  He flatly contradicted me - "No, it's not."  I said politely "Yes, it is.  I wrote it, so I should know."  I then pulled up the documentation and showed him.  Did he have the grace to admit that he was wrong?  I'll give you one guess.

Hillia

« Reply #19401 on: February 08, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »
Another 'my political theory is more important than your artwork' snowflake:

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/woman-defaces-famous-louvre-painting-with-black-pen

A woman who is part of a group of 9/11 conspiracy theorists scribbled with black marker on a French painting on loan from the main Louvre to one of the satellite museums. Fortunately the curators say the damage is very superficial and should be easily cleaned.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19402 on: February 08, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »
(facepalm)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19403 on: February 08, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/woman-defaces-famous-louvre-painting-with-black-pen

A woman who is part of a group of 9/11 conspiracy theorists scribbled with black marker on a French painting on loan from the main Louvre to one of the satellite museums. Fortunately the curators say the damage is very superficial and should be easily cleaned.

This comment is probably not eHell approved, but I truthfully hope she is punished fairly severely for that!  I don't understand why some people feel they have the "right" to destroy the creative work of other people.

MrTango

« Reply #19404 on: February 08, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »

This comment is probably not eHell approved, but I truthfully hope she is punished fairly severely for that!  I don't understand why some people feel they have the "right" to destroy the creative work of other people.

Agreed.  Hopefully, she'll at least be held liable for the cost of the repair.  I have no idea how much that would cost, but I'd be willing to guess it's in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19405 on: February 08, 2013, 12:34:37 PM »
Heck, charge her tens of thousands even if it can be fixed with a quick application of a Magic Eraser.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #19406 on: February 08, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
That's just... wow.  I really can't stand people who deface artwork, regardless the cause.  A work is a person's heart and soul out for display, I understand that.  To deface it because of a political motivation is not only an insult on the painting's intent, but to the person who painted it as well. :-\

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #19407 on: February 08, 2013, 04:30:09 PM »
It is also quite frankly meaningless. Neither the painting nor the artist has anything to do with her cause. She's put her name out in the media as someone who is willing to deface property for attention - a common vandal.

I had more respect for the group who threw cream pies in the faces of politicians. At least they had a point to their actions (and it was not permanent!).
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19408 on: February 08, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »
Could be worse. There was an art student whose decided to do a project that involved going to a museum, standing in front of a well-known masterpiece, swallowing a pint of yellow paint and vomiting it over the painting. In court, he claimed that the painter of the defaced work would have certainly supported his freedom of artistic expression, if still alive.

EveLGenius

« Reply #19409 on: February 08, 2013, 06:38:09 PM »
The people defacing artwork reminded me of this story.

My mother used to work in a small religious college.  We were good friends with the librarian, and occasionally helped out in the library, especially at the end of summer when they were gearing up for the fall semester. 

One summer, we noticed that we were putting away a lot of brand-new, newly-cataloged art books.  Someone commented to the librarian that the art department must have gotten a new donor, to be able to afford so many large, beautiful, expensive books on art and art history.  Oh no, she said, she had to budget for these books every two years, because she had to replace them so regularly.

It seems that some of the students were from a sub-group of this religion that taught them very firmly, from a very young age, that human bodies were bad and evil and lustful, and that nekkidness in all its forms was a sin.  Imagine their shock when they got to college and discovered entire BOOKS with pictures of paintings and sculptures of people's bodies!  Without even a fig leaf or a tactfully placed scarf, sometimes!  They couldn't just put the books down- that would be encouraging other people to sin, too!  So sometimes they would steal the entire book.  Sometimes they would just rip out the pages that had the horrible photos.  And sometime they would cut the horrible photos out of the pages, leaving the written text behind. 

The favorite, however, was the person who carefully and painstakingly used wrapping paper to make paper-doll outfits, and clothed each and every one of the nudes.