A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Special Snowflake Stories

<< < (3890/6617) > >>

BabyMama:
Sigh. I just joined a board (or should I say, I was volunteered for a board and accepted the chair position because nobody else would...) It's a sub-board to fundraise for a nonprofit organization. I've been trying to think of fundraising ideas and have been shooting e-mails off to the other members. Two of the four other members of the board have e-mailed me back, telling me they don't have time to sell tickets/other fundraising things, and don't want to ask people for money. I just...ahh.  Why would you join a fundraising board then??

KenveeB:
I was walking my dogs tonight when a motorcycle drove past us and pulled up to a driveway a few feet in front of us. Except instead of parking in the (empty) driveway, he keeps pulling forward until he's on the sidewalk just beyond the driveway. And he's parked at an angle so he takes up the entire sidewalk. I can't get buy him without walking on the lawn. So I called out "Could you move off the sidewalk please?" He turns off the bike and says "Huh?", so I said, "I asked if you could get off the sidewalk." He mutters something under his breath and then says, "A little kindness goes a long way." I was already walking by him at this point, so I just rolled my eyes and said, "I agree completely."

I'm not sure why I'm the mean one for politely asking him to move when he pulled up in front of me, parked on a sidewalk instead of a driveway (which is illegal anyway!), and blocked the whole thing.

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: KenveeB on February 13, 2013, 08:05:06 PM ---I was walking my dogs tonight when a motorcycle drove past us and pulled up to a driveway a few feet in front of us. Except instead of parking in the (empty) driveway, he keeps pulling forward until he's on the sidewalk just beyond the driveway. And he's parked at an angle so he takes up the entire sidewalk. I can't get buy him without walking on the lawn. So I called out "Could you move off the sidewalk please?" He turns off the bike and says "Huh?", so I said, "I asked if you could get off the sidewalk." He mutters something under his breath and then says, "A little kindness goes a long way." I was already walking by him at this point, so I just rolled my eyes and said, "I agree completely."

I'm not sure why I'm the mean one for politely asking him to move when he pulled up in front of me, parked on a sidewalk instead of a driveway (which is illegal anyway!), and blocked the whole thing.

--- End quote ---

I'm not saying he wasn't wrong, but I would like to know why you couldn't just walk around him?

BB-VA:
Being sane biker types, my husband and all our friends park their bikes in actual parking spaces.  We even share parking spaces, although with sidecar rigs, that is a little more difficult.

That said, I have seen bikers park their bikes (2-wheelers) in their hotel rooms when traveling.  A little extreme for me, but I guess they are concerned about theft and/or damage.

Of course, a Russian sidecar bike would be 1) very visible - you don't see sidecar rigs every day; 2) is kind of on the slower side so it would be really easy to catch.  The places that scare me are ones with large concentrations of kids who like to climb.  I never let the bike out of my sight at custard stands or any place with high concentrations of kids with sugar highs.

KenveeB:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on February 13, 2013, 08:47:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: KenveeB on February 13, 2013, 08:05:06 PM ---I was walking my dogs tonight when a motorcycle drove past us and pulled up to a driveway a few feet in front of us. Except instead of parking in the (empty) driveway, he keeps pulling forward until he's on the sidewalk just beyond the driveway. And he's parked at an angle so he takes up the entire sidewalk. I can't get buy him without walking on the lawn. So I called out "Could you move off the sidewalk please?" He turns off the bike and says "Huh?", so I said, "I asked if you could get off the sidewalk." He mutters something under his breath and then says, "A little kindness goes a long way." I was already walking by him at this point, so I just rolled my eyes and said, "I agree completely."

--- End quote ---

I'm not saying he wasn't wrong, but I would like to know why you couldn't just walk around him?

--- End quote ---

I did, because he never moved. I called out as I was approaching, and when he didn't move I just kept walking. I just think it's rude to walk on someone's lawn and won't do it if I can avoid it.

Edit: And I mean the entire conversation occurred while I was walking. He was calling out the "kindness" comment as I was already past him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version