Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5391379 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19650 on: February 22, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »
SS from school yesterday. I need the handicapped stall - as I can not get off the other toilets with out help due to a cast on my leg from the thigh to my ankle .  SO on my way in I stopped in the bathroom to find the stall occupied...not by someone actually using it, not even for changing, but by someone having a phone conversation. Noticing that I was waiting for it, she calls  out " I am going to be a while and if you wait - I'll just be longer!"  This is a small building and this is the only handicapped stall in it.  So I left and came back a half hour later, only to hear her say "Yeah, I am in the bathroom, in the handicapped stall, it's so funny, there's this chick who keeps coming back and I am holding her up!" and then laughed.
  I ended up needing to change my clothes because of her, and she thought this was hysterical.  I don't get it. Luckily most people are not like this.

That is disgusting on her part.  If I could have held my temper, I think I would have gotten building management involved after the first comment.  I'm sorry that happened to you.  (If I couldn't have held my temper, I probably would have done some very un-ehell approved things, involving loud noises to ensure she couldn't hold her conversation.  Singing songs from Les Mis at the top of my lungs comes to mind.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mmswm

« Reply #19651 on: February 22, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »
SS from school yesterday. I need the handicapped stall - as I can not get off the other toilets with out help due to a cast on my leg from the thigh to my ankle .  SO on my way in I stopped in the bathroom to find the stall occupied...not by someone actually using it, not even for changing, but by someone having a phone conversation. Noticing that I was waiting for it, she calls  out " I am going to be a while and if you wait - I'll just be longer!"  This is a small building and this is the only handicapped stall in it.  So I left and came back a half hour later, only to hear her say "Yeah, I am in the bathroom, in the handicapped stall, it's so funny, there's this chick who keeps coming back and I am holding her up!" and then laughed.
  I ended up needing to change my clothes because of her, and she thought this was hysterical.  I don't get it. Luckily most people are not like this.

That is disgusting on her part.  If I could have held my temper, I think I would have gotten building management involved after the first comment.  I'm sorry that happened to you.  (If I couldn't have held my temper, I probably would have done some very un-ehell approved things, involving loud noises to ensure she couldn't hold her conversation.  Singing songs from Les Mis at the top of my lungs comes to mind.)

I'm horrified and disgusted on your behalf.  Though I do like the idea of singing at the top of my lungs.  Maybe something SSish like "The Simple Joys of Maidenhood" from "Camelot" would have worked.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19652 on: February 22, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »

Oh Dear Deity!!  This goes waaaaay beyond a mere 'breach of etiquette'!  I think I'd have certainly told someone and had her butt shuttled out of there pronto!  What an unbelievable jerk!

Shalamar

« Reply #19653 on: February 22, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »
Are you serious?  She took up the handicapped stall for the better part of an hour because she was on the PHONE?  If she'd been having one of "those" calls of nature and happened to be in the handicapped stall at the time, that'd be bad but understandable, but this goes beyond the pale.   :o

BB-VA

« Reply #19654 on: February 22, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »

I'd have flushed the other stall(s).  Repeatedly.

ETA - perhaps not totally Ehell approved, but it is a sound to be expected in public facilities.   Also, desperate situations call for desperate measures.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:01:17 PM by BB-VA »
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #19655 on: February 22, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »
ETA - perhaps not totally Ehell approved, but it is a sound to be expected in public facilities.   Also, desperate situations call for desperate measures.
Certainly not ehell approved, but if I were disabled and needed to use that stall, I would have squeezed myself into the stall with her and used the darned toilet.  If she got in my way, well, some urine might not make it into the toilet. >:(

I would have given her warning first.  When she said, "I am going to be a while and if you wait - I'll just be longer!"  I would have firmly said, "I have no choice; I must use this stall right now.  You can use another stall."  I would not have left unless it was to get security to have her sorry butt hauled out of the handicap accessible stall.

BTW - My husband is disabled.  He needs the handicap accessible stall.  If some guy tried pulling that on DH, he would have whipped it out and peed on the jerk if he didn't move out of the way fast enough.  DH is not a patient man and he doesn't tolerate SSs.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19656 on: February 22, 2013, 02:20:45 PM »
I would have seriously considered some eHell unapproved activity.  Safety trumps etiquette, and I'm sure it's unsafe to not be able to use the bathroom, and get urine on a cast.

Had I a smartphone, I would have started looking for youtubes of polka music and played it at full volume.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #19657 on: February 22, 2013, 02:31:35 PM »

Wow, they're really rude to people in casts at your school.  Didn't something similar happen to a friend of yours a couple of months ago?

fountainsoflettuce

« Reply #19658 on: February 22, 2013, 02:38:35 PM »

That's terrible! How are you able to swim with such a cast? Is it removable b/c you can't get the standard plaster type of cast wet? I remember you posting about your friend's situation, just recently. How did your friend handle this?  The one who also had a thigh to ankle cast, who used crutches and needed the handicapped stall but there was someone in a wheelchair?  I don't remember the final resoluation.  Such terrible luck, you and your friend having the same type of cast. Did you also have the same type of injury?   And there really was no way to use the other stall?  Yes, it would be smaller but probably the same size as your bathroom at home and I'm sure you manage at home ok.   I see the end result for you in this story.  What do you do on other occasions when there is no handicapp stall available?  The same result?  It just seems like an awful solution.

Oh - found it!  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=123543.0
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:43:41 PM by fountainsoflettuce »

snowdragon

« Reply #19659 on: February 22, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »

That's terrible! How are you able to swim with such a cast? Is it removable b/c you can't get the standard plaster type of cast wet?
.  Not all casts are plaster.  This is velcroed on and can be taken in the pool and shower, I asked for that. ( Although the dr does not recommend a daily swim for the next few weeks...I have to cut back to twice a week until mid April )

I remember you posting about your friend's situation, just recently. How did your friend handle this?  The one who also had a thigh to ankle cast, who used crutches and needed the handicapped stall but there was someone in a wheelchair?  I don't remember the final resoluation.  Such terrible luck, you and your friend having the same type of cast. We don't have  the same kind of injury or cast... she has the plaster one, I have one that is plasticy and velcroed on. As for resolutions, She went to the authorities at school and asked policy - who looked at her like she had three heads til she mentioned that she's had issues before.  She had her leg crushed in a car accident. I broke mine because I fell into a den of some sort while hiking.  Not the same at all.  She now goes to the health center that is next door to her class building - it is across the campus from mine

. Did you also have the same type of injury?   And there really was no way to use the other stall?  Yes, it would be smaller but probably the same size as your bathroom at home and I'm sure you manage at home ok.   I see the end result for you in this story.  What do you do on other occasions when there is no handicapp stall available?  The same result?  It just seems like an awful solution.
  This is the first time something like this has happened since I got hurt
   I can not bend the leg in the cast, and I can not put weight on it at this time.....that will change as healing goes on.  Because I can not put weight on the leg I have to have the bars to pull myself up on. Or have someone pull me up, I did not have someone to pull me up so I needed the bars, just as I have the bars and the sink to help pull myself up on at home   

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19660 on: February 22, 2013, 03:10:22 PM »
mmswm wrote:

"Yup, my own mother told me I should have just trusted that the other soups weren't made near any tomato products, and god would have protected me."

God did protect you, by giving you the good sense to avoid eating soups of unknown provenance.

Virg

I'm reminded of that old joke about the man in a flood who refused help from a man in a boat offering to take him to dry ground, because "Deity will protect me."

After he drowned, he appeared at the Pearly Gates, extremely irate at being let down. Deity was puzzled what he was doing there - "But I sent you a man with a boat!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mmswm

« Reply #19661 on: February 22, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
mmswm wrote:

"Yup, my own mother told me I should have just trusted that the other soups weren't made near any tomato products, and god would have protected me."

God did protect you, by giving you the good sense to avoid eating soups of unknown provenance.

Virg

I'm reminded of that old joke about the man in a flood who refused help from a man in a boat offering to take him to dry ground, because "Deity will protect me."

After he drowned, he appeared at the Pearly Gates, extremely irate at being let down. Deity was puzzled what he was doing there - "But I sent you a man with a boat!"

lol.  That and the old adage, "God helps those who helps themselves."  I will go to the event again because my children enjoyed being able to hang out with their friends, but I will definitely be bringing my own soup!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Christabeldreams

« Reply #19662 on: February 22, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »

I'd have flushed the other stall(s).  Repeatedly.

;D Do you heeeeaaarr the people siiiiinnnng? *FLUSHFLUSHFLUSH*

SS: I went to a con a while back where the hotel double booked us (Huge hotel) with another, much smaller con. Several entitled cosplayers complained because the other con had "Their photoshoot gazebo". Several smaller con attendees complained because of "All the freaks." and harrassed cosplayers.  :-\  Fortunately, the majority of both conventions were well behaved, there were just the few rotten apples.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19663 on: February 22, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
I just want to point out that the above quote has no basis in religion.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #19664 on: February 22, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »
We had a double booking at an SCA camping event with the Hells Angels! Quite an interesting day with them revving engines and making rude comments to a lot of the ladies.  The SS behavior stopped short when a bunch of the fighters took the field. I seem to think that 1 or 2 of them challenged the fighters to a “real fight” until they saw that not only did they NOT pull blows but that rattan leaves really pretty marks behind even through armor