Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5091511 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19665 on: February 22, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
I just want to point out that the above quote has no basis in religion.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #19666 on: February 22, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »
We had a double booking at an SCA camping event with the Hells Angels! Quite an interesting day with them revving engines and making rude comments to a lot of the ladies.  The SS behavior stopped short when a bunch of the fighters took the field. I seem to think that 1 or 2 of them challenged the fighters to a “real fight” until they saw that not only did they NOT pull blows but that rattan leaves really pretty marks behind even through armor

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19667 on: February 22, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »
Our Scout troop stopped at a hotel midway through their five state drive. The group's rooms were together other than one room in the middle. That room had a group of older people, and all seemed well.

Until smoke began appearing in the rooms nearby. Not tobacco smoke either. One assistant Scoutmaster is a deputy, and was instantly able to identify said smoke. The other room's occupants were soon asked to leave.

mmswm

« Reply #19668 on: February 22, 2013, 03:39:54 PM »
I just want to point out that the above quote has no basis in religion.

Yes, my apologies.  I was just using the quote to illustrate how silly my mother was being, and not trying to get into a religious discussion.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19669 on: February 22, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »
My reaction was OTT. My mother repeats that quote often, and bases it on gospel truth. She no longer says that to me, as I have dispelled that notion.

Miss Misha

« Reply #19670 on: February 22, 2013, 05:58:52 PM »
I'm not saying the bikers right by any means, but I don't think they were wrong, either.  Because of their size, motorcycles can be hard to see, so by driving in packs they increase their visibility.  To merge through the pack can cause a safety risk, so I can see why this would irritate the biker that yelled at the OP's DH.

It is not another driver's responsibility to make room for you between themselves and the vehicle in front of them.  It is your responsibility to make sure you can fit in that gap safely; if you cannot, you don't put your car there.  Can it be courteous to slow down to allow another driver over?  Yes, but not doing so does not make anyone rude.  How would it be any different if there were three or four semis in the right hand lane blocking the OP's DH from merging over?  If the gap between them was not sizably safe for the OP's DH to merge, what would he have done?  Merge through them or slow down to move in behind them?  With motorcycles, that safety gap needs to be a bit larger (hence why the biker was probably angry).  I just don't see how the bikers were SS; to me, it is no different than any other traffic.

Catching up on the thread (20 pages to go!), but this caught my eye because of what happened to me today.  There are two lanes that turn left at a stoplight onto a bridge in my town.  At the other end of the bridge, only the right lane exits to another island, the other lane continues to another city.  However, most people using the bridge want to go to the island.  Which leads to some interesting lane changes. 

Today, I was the last in a line of cars going over the bridge in the right lane.  Cue a late model expensive car running the dark orange yellow light and then starting to change lanes -- into my car!  She wasn't pulling into a space between cars, she was pulling into my drivers' side door!  I honked.  Then she turned on her turn signal and tried to pull over again - into the side of my car!  She just couldn't understand why I wouldn't stand on my brakes to let her in -- when there was no one behind me and she had entered the bridge after me.  She actually accelerated and cut off a car at the far end of the bridge to get off on the island.  The kicker is she probably thinks I was rude because I did not literally stop dead to let her in.

mmswm

« Reply #19671 on: February 22, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
No worries, LadyKnight. :)  Though I do sincerely mean my apology.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #19672 on: February 22, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »
Tonight we had to drop DH's car off to get his brakes changed. On the way there, we saw several flashes of the red light camera at the busiest intersection in town. There are lots of red light runners there; I imagine the city makes tons of money off of that intersection. Running red lights has always seemed a very snowflakey activity to me; in addition to endangering other drivers to save a few minutes of time, you are basically saying to other drivers that you are more important than them. You don't have time to wait at a red light, so you will run it and make them wait to go through their green light. Before the red light cameras were installed, I actually sat through an entire green light more than once because people just kept running the red light.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19673 on: February 22, 2013, 08:34:11 PM »
SS from school yesterday. I need the handicapped stall - as I can not get off the other toilets with out help due to a cast on my leg from the thigh to my ankle .  SO on my way in I stopped in the bathroom to find the stall occupied...not by someone actually using it, not even for changing, but by someone having a phone conversation. Noticing that I was waiting for it, she calls  out " I am going to be a while and if you wait - I'll just be longer!"  This is a small building and this is the only handicapped stall in it.  So I left and came back a half hour later, only to hear her say "Yeah, I am in the bathroom, in the handicapped stall, it's so funny, there's this chick who keeps coming back and I am holding her up!" and then laughed.
  I ended up needing to change my clothes because of her, and she thought this was hysterical.  I don't get it. Luckily most people are not like this.

I'm having a hard time with this.  Are you saying you messed yourself instead of going somewhere else or trying another stall?  I know you said you can't bend your leg, but clearly you must have crutches with you and can use those to help. I know I certainly have experience doing that.   Either that or get someone to get her out.  I would use the men's restroom before allowing her to have that much control over my day.  And she laughed hysterically because she was around when it happened?  Clearly she is one of the most evil people to have ever lived because I can't even comprehend it.  I'm very sorry.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #19674 on: February 22, 2013, 08:37:36 PM »
SS from school yesterday. I need the handicapped stall - as I can not get off the other toilets with out help due to a cast on my leg from the thigh to my ankle .  SO on my way in I stopped in the bathroom to find the stall occupied...not by someone actually using it, not even for changing, but by someone having a phone conversation. Noticing that I was waiting for it, she calls  out " I am going to be a while and if you wait - I'll just be longer!"  This is a small building and this is the only handicapped stall in it.  So I left and came back a half hour later, only to hear her say "Yeah, I am in the bathroom, in the handicapped stall, it's so funny, there's this chick who keeps coming back and I am holding her up!" and then laughed.
  I ended up needing to change my clothes because of her, and she thought this was hysterical.  I don't get it. Luckily most people are not like this.

I'm having a hard time with this.  Are you saying you messed yourself instead of going somewhere else or trying another stall?  I know you said you can't bend your leg, but clearly you must have crutches with you and can use those to help. I know I certainly have experience doing that.   Either that or get someone to get her out.  I would use the men's restroom before allowing her to have that much control over my day.  And she laughed hysterically because she was around when it happened?  Clearly she is one of the most evil people to have ever lived because I can't even comprehend it.  I'm very sorry.

Perhaps OP didn't have time to get somewhere else or ask for someone to get her out, hence why she needed to change her clothes.  Further, crutches from that angle aren't necessarily stable and I would try to wait as long as I could before I'd risk falling over with an entire leg cast and hurting myself all over again.

That being said, I'd have made that girl's day miserable before I had to change clothes because of her.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #19675 on: February 22, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »
She had at least half an hour though, I would think that's plenty of time to find another loo or to get someone to deal with the SS.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19676 on: February 22, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »

Perhaps OP didn't have time to get somewhere else or ask for someone to get her out, hence why she needed to change her clothes.  Further, crutches from that angle aren't necessarily stable and I would try to wait as long as I could before I'd risk falling over with an entire leg cast and hurting myself all over again.

That being said, I'd have made that girl's day miserable before I had to change clothes because of her.

EvilTraska would have lobbed an underwear grenade over the stall door...

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #19677 on: February 22, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »
I'm sorry snow dragon, but I'm really having a hard time understanding this.  You were able to wait 30 minutes, but you never sought out an alternative bathroom?  I understand having a full cast is hard (and I'm impressed that your doctor is allowing you to swim in a competitive lap lane!) but this seems just a bit outlandish.  I've met some evil people who likely would do that, but I'm not sure why you didn't take your crutch or anything else and start wailing on the door after her snide comment. Or for that matter, head to a different building or floor on campus. Or call campus security. If this truly happened the way you say, you and your friend should be heading to students with disabilities and lodging a complaint about the insensitivity of your fellow classmates. Twice in a short amount of time is just ludicrous.

snowdragon

« Reply #19678 on: February 22, 2013, 10:15:04 PM »

I don't know about you but I am not asking anyone but my family or best friend to pull me off the toilet and see me naked from the waist down.   I did ask the secretary for the department housed in that building to call for security, to deal with it, but I don't know if  they were slow incoming or she never called but I never saw them come.  There is no way I would be able to use the smaller stall with crutches, they are that tiny. 

A.P. Wulfric - the next closest bathroom is in the gym, up several steps. I do not know of an accessible one in the immediate area.  Other than the gym there would be the theater - locked except when in use,  and several dorms - locked at all times and you need to live there to get in.  The communications center is a good 10  minutes walk even on two good legs. The campus is not laid out for convenience at all.

Wailing on anything is the last thing you want to do on crutches. 

Amara

« Reply #19679 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:56 AM »
snowdragon, I am beyond appalled at your experience. I think you should seriously considering taking this to a dean or even a VP at the school. The intentional cruelty compounded by your need to use the handicapped stall is beyond reprehensible. And the failure of the staff--secretary, security, etc.--to take immediate action is almost as bad. This needs to be addressed at a high level and it needs to be addressed now.