Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5629420 times)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19695 on: February 24, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »
one of my coworkers was an SS after work the other day -

I'm driving away and she's walking towards the parking lot.  Her route goes right in front of me - she makes eye contact with me and walks out in front of me - I had to slam on the breaks to keep from hitting her  :o 

Who does that?

Maybe the eye contact was to make sure you saw her before she crossed in front of your car.  Are you in a "pedestrians in crosswalk have right of way" area?  She may have thought she was doing the right thing *shrug*

I have a hard time seeing a plan that relies on "Surely they'll slam on the brakes before killing me" as the right thing. And yet I encounter people who think it's a great idea all the time.

A friend of mine was telling one of her cw's how dangerous it is to just walk out in front of cars as they usually weigh a lot  and cannot always stops on a dime.  She has seen her several times just dart of in front of cars in their work parking lot and nearly get creamed.

CW: Well, pedestrians have the right of way.  Cars HAVE to stop.

Friend: CW, cars can't always stop that quickly.  You've complained about almost being hit twice this week.  The safest thing is for you to stop and wait for them to pass.

CW:  I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY.

Friend: You can be right or you can be dead, your choice.

I may have read here on EH, but I tell my kids that the laws of physics will always win over traffic laws.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19696 on: February 24, 2013, 09:55:16 AM »
A friend of mine was telling one of her cw's how dangerous it is to just walk out in front of cars as they usually weigh a lot  and cannot always stops on a dime.  She has seen her several times just dart of in front of cars in their work parking lot and nearly get creamed.

Friend: CW, cars can't always stop that quickly.  You've complained about almost being hit twice this week.  The safest thing is for you to stop and wait for them to pass.

I read a similar story about a mother and daughter.  The mother told her "I'll put that on your headstone.  She Was Right."

Amava

« Reply #19697 on: February 24, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »

I read a similar story about a mother and daughter.  The mother told her "I'll put that on your headstone.  She Was Right."

Same story here but opposite family relations. It's my mother who used to always say that.
"You ALWAYS have to be able to stop!", she used to tell me in a "I know it all!" voice. 
It's the law!
Never mind laws of physics.

Of course she had never driven a car, and she just couldn't understand that a car can't just stop instantly like in a cartoon; that there is always a stopping distance involved.

That being said, I /crawl/ my car through parking lots. Sometimes to the annoyance of other drivers but I'd rather get on their nerves than accidentally hurt someone.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #19698 on: February 24, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »

I'm driving away and she's walking towards the parking lot.  Her route goes right in front of me - she makes eye contact with me and walks out in front of me - I had to slam on the breaks to keep from hitting her  :o 

Who does that?

Not me.  My grocery store has crosswalks plus stop signs for cars so pedestrians can safely cross.  Even so, I don't start to cross until the car actually stops.

The worst thing I ever saw was the aftermath of a car hitting a loaded grocery cart with a baby in the seat.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #19699 on: February 24, 2013, 11:41:49 AM »
The laws of physics always trump the laws of man.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #19700 on: February 24, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »
If I remember correctly, a driver will only be at fault if they hit a pedestrian in a cross walk, and I'm not even sure if that covers the clown who chooses to simply run in front of a car because it is a cross walk.  A person hit crossing outside a crosswalk can be ticketed for jaywalking, if they are lucky enough to still be walking.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #19701 on: February 24, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »

Who does that?

Maybe the eye contact was to make sure you saw her before she crossed in front of your car.  Are you in a "pedestrians in crosswalk have right of way" area?  She may have thought she was doing the right thing *shrug*

I have a hard time seeing a plan that relies on "Surely they'll slam on the brakes before killing me" as the right thing. And yet I encounter people who think it's a great idea all the time.

I may have read here on EH, but I tell my kids that the laws of physics will always win over traffic laws.
There are two kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #19702 on: February 24, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »
If I remember correctly, a driver will only be at fault if they hit a pedestrian in a cross walk, and I'm not even sure if that covers the clown who chooses to simply run in front of a car because it is a cross walk.  A person hit crossing outside a crosswalk can be ticketed for jaywalking, if they are lucky enough to still be walking.

In my state, the pedestrian always has right of way, even if they're jaywalking.

CuriousParty

« Reply #19703 on: February 24, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »

Or, as one of our fellow E-Hellions has said (can't remember who, sorry!) "Physics always wins."

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #19704 on: February 24, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »
In my state, the pedestrian always has right of way, even if they're jaywalking.

Small consolation if the pedestrian ends up in a wheelchair, or dead (as is often the case).

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #19705 on: February 24, 2013, 02:05:57 PM »

Small consolation if the pedestrian ends up in a wheelchair, or dead (as is often the case).

Oh, absolutely.
It has happened that a jaywalking pedestrian is hit, and the drier is at fault for their injuries, *and* the pedestrian is ticketed for Jaywalking. Insult to injury ;).

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19706 on: February 24, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »

Oh, absolutely.
It has happened that a jaywalking pedestrian is hit, and the drier is at fault for their injuries, *and* the pedestrian is ticketed for Jaywalking. Insult to injury ;).

Dingity dangety driers!  They have no business driving anyway!!  They should stay home in their laundry rooms where they belong.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #19707 on: February 24, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »

Or, as one of our fellow E-Hellions has said (can't remember who, sorry!) "Physics always wins."

My friend forgot this law when she was driving us all home from a party and decided to try and race. a. bus. :o We could only watch as the side of the bus kept getting bigger and bigger on our field of vision to the left of us... I'm here to type about it, but it was a close call. We all looked at her like "what the ehell?!?!" she looked back like "what?"  ::) She was driving the B-day girl's car. B-day girl was NOT happy.

It's like rock-paper-scissors: car trumps pedestrian, bus trumps car...semi trumps everyone! So get out of the way!
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19708 on: February 24, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »
From my friend: she lives in a townhouse complex with limited parking. each group of homes is on a circle, and each unit has ONE assigned space, and the rest are open to anyone, residents, visitors, etc.  She came home from work, saw one open spot, and took it. Neighbor was sitting in the lot, in his truck, but no blinker on or anything. She parks, he gets out and screams at her, she yells back. Apparently she was supposed to divine from him simply sitting there he was planning on parking there.

He's now parked behind her car, blocking her in. I told her a. call the police non-emergency line or b. if he's blocking her in, he may be blocking other cars, and someone may accidentally hit him (oops). or c. he presumably has to work tomorrow, and will have to move it then. problem solved.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19709 on: February 24, 2013, 05:10:15 PM »

Same here. We have to keep adding speed humps because of the incredible speeds people will travel in our lot.