Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5104473 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19710 on: February 24, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »
The laws of physics always trump the laws of man.

Or, as one of our fellow E-Hellions has said (can't remember who, sorry!) "Physics always wins."

My friend forgot this law when she was driving us all home from a party and decided to try and race. a. bus. :o We could only watch as the side of the bus kept getting bigger and bigger on our field of vision to the left of us... I'm here to type about it, but it was a close call. We all looked at her like "what the ehell?!?!" she looked back like "what?"  ::) She was driving the B-day girl's car. B-day girl was NOT happy.

It's like rock-paper-scissors: car trumps pedestrian, bus trumps car...semi trumps everyone! So get out of the way!
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19711 on: February 24, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »
From my friend: she lives in a townhouse complex with limited parking. each group of homes is on a circle, and each unit has ONE assigned space, and the rest are open to anyone, residents, visitors, etc.  She came home from work, saw one open spot, and took it. Neighbor was sitting in the lot, in his truck, but no blinker on or anything. She parks, he gets out and screams at her, she yells back. Apparently she was supposed to divine from him simply sitting there he was planning on parking there.

He's now parked behind her car, blocking her in. I told her a. call the police non-emergency line or b. if he's blocking her in, he may be blocking other cars, and someone may accidentally hit him (oops). or c. he presumably has to work tomorrow, and will have to move it then. problem solved.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19712 on: February 24, 2013, 05:10:15 PM »
If I remember correctly, a driver will only be at fault if they hit a pedestrian in a cross walk, and I'm not even sure if that covers the clown who chooses to simply run in front of a car because it is a cross walk.  A person hit crossing outside a crosswalk can be ticketed for jaywalking, if they are lucky enough to still be walking.

In my state, the pedestrian always has right of way, even if they're jaywalking.

Same here. We have to keep adding speed humps because of the incredible speeds people will travel in our lot.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19713 on: February 24, 2013, 08:27:55 PM »
Something I've remembered from driver's ed umptymumble years ago: for every 10mph that you are traveling, your car will travel 10-11 feet between the time that you realize you need to brake and your foot actually hitting the brake pedal.   So 20mph= 20 feet, 50mph = 50 feet, and so on. So even if you are going parking lot speed of 10mph, your car will travel 10 feet between the time the pedestrian darts in front of you and you actually stop. If that pedestrian steps out 4 feet in front of you...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19714 on: February 24, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »
SS from school yesterday. I need the handicapped stall - as I can not get off the other toilets with out help due to a cast on my leg from the thigh to my ankle .  SO on my way in I stopped in the bathroom to find the stall occupied...not by someone actually using it, not even for changing, but by someone having a phone conversation. Noticing that I was waiting for it, she calls  out " I am going to be a while and if you wait - I'll just be longer!"  This is a small building and this is the only handicapped stall in it.  So I left and came back a half hour later, only to hear her say "Yeah, I am in the bathroom, in the handicapped stall, it's so funny, there's this chick who keeps coming back and I am holding her up!" and then laughed.
  I ended up needing to change my clothes because of her, and she thought this was hysterical.  I don't get it. Luckily most people are not like this.

That is disgusting on her part.  If I could have held my temper, I think I would have gotten building management involved after the first comment.  I'm sorry that happened to you.  (If I couldn't have held my temper, I probably would have done some very un-ehell approved things, involving loud noises to ensure she couldn't hold her conversation.  Singing songs from Les Mis at the top of my lungs comes to mind.)

I think I'd have gotten someone to come in with me, and then I'd have said, "I have an ankle to hip cast on, so I really do need the handicapped stall. I'm about to pee my pants--would you come out, please?" (asking nicely is MUCH more likely to get her to come out of the stall)

And then had the other person chime in to say, "Yes, please--you really do need to vacate that stall."

If she didn't come out, I'd have gotten a quarter out of my pocket and unlocked the stall from the outside (a great many of the will let you do it), and then simply gone into the stall while she was in there.

There's no way in hell I'd have peed my pants because of her.

In fact, did you *ever* say anything to her? Not that she wasn't incredibly rude, but you really should be advocating for yourself. Speak up, woman!

dawbs

« Reply #19715 on: February 25, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »
Tonight we had to drop DH's car off to get his brakes changed. On the way there, we saw several flashes of the red light camera at the busiest intersection in town. There are lots of red light runners there; I imagine the city makes tons of money off of that intersection. Running red lights has always seemed a very snowflakey activity to me; in addition to endangering other drivers to save a few minutes of time, you are basically saying to other drivers that you are more important than them. You don't have time to wait at a red light, so you will run it and make them wait to go through their green light. Before the red light cameras were installed, I actually sat through an entire green light more than once because people just kept running the red light.

There's an intersection right next to my workplace where I end up having to run the yellowish/dark orange lights often...because NO ONE stops.
I can't count the number of times I start to stop, see the traffic behind me, and give up and go through...only to watch 5 cars behind me plow through.
Stopping at that light, even when it is solidly RED, is just begging to be rear-ended.  Sad to say, we're only 2 blocks from the city's police headquarters AND it is right next to a school, but no one seems to care  :-\

It's a citywide snowflake blizzard (although I did go through it yellow today and watched the car behind me stop...I was shocked.  And even more shocked that he was NOT rear-ended--dingdangity close--there was honking and gnashing of brake pedals, but everyone behind him stopped.  Maybe we can learn :)

mmswm

« Reply #19716 on: February 25, 2013, 10:46:43 AM »
There are lots of red-light running SS's around here.  Shortly after I moved to Fargo, I spent the day with a friend who was helping me get some things taken care of.  We took my car.  She asked me why I always slowed down approaching green lights.  I never realized I did that to such an extent to be noticed.  Anyway, I figure the reason is because around here, you can't count on somebody on the cross street not plowing through the intersection, even when their own light has been red for a minute or two.  I've just been conditioned to put myself in a position where I could stop if I had to when approaching even a solidly green light.

Of course, I also joke around that the drivers here really aren't bad or SS, they're just all following the driving customs of the countries they came from, and those customs don't always play nice with each other.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Kariachi

« Reply #19717 on: February 25, 2013, 11:30:08 AM »
Somehow drivers in my county are perfectly fine when it comes to stopping for a red light. Give them a stop sign though...

I never move on if there's someone approaching on the crossroad, four-way stop bedanged.

'You still should have gone' my rear...
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19718 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »

Or, as one of our fellow E-Hellions has said (can't remember who, sorry!) "Physics always wins."

My friend forgot this law when she was driving us all home from a party and decided to try and race. a. bus. :o We could only watch as the side of the bus kept getting bigger and bigger on our field of vision to the left of us... I'm here to type about it, but it was a close call. We all looked at her like "what the ehell?!?!" she looked back like "what?"  ::) She was driving the B-day girl's car. B-day girl was NOT happy.

It's like rock-paper-scissors: car trumps pedestrian, bus trumps car...semi trumps everyone! So get out of the way!

Ahem.  Train.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #19719 on: February 25, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »

Ahem.  Train.

Nope; I can attest that semis will trump trains. Especially if said train HITS said semi...

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19720 on: February 25, 2013, 12:00:37 PM »

Ahem.  Train.

Nope; I can attest that semis will trump trains. Especially if said train HITS said semi...

I've seen exactly the reverse... semi stalled on tracks, train couldn't stop in time, they needed dump trucks to haul the debris away so the train could resume its journey.

BarensMom

« Reply #19721 on: February 25, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »

Ahem.  Train.

I have to disagree.  My father's plant was in an industrial part of town with train tracks running in front of the entrance.  Many semis tried to play chicken with the train on those tracks.  They all lost.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #19722 on: February 25, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
I've posted this before, but it seems appropriate here...

At the Williamsburg Pottery, there are train tracks running through it, dividing up the new and old sections.  There was a small sign next to them.  "Maybe you can beat the train.  And maybe you're DEAD WRONG."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19723 on: February 25, 2013, 12:08:02 PM »
We had two people try to beat a train overnight. They lost.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19724 on: February 25, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »
Our town is lousy with train tracks. I love it, but at the same time, ever since I saw Fried Green Tomatoes, I am very careful around tracks that are still in use.  There is one railroad bridge that runs over the sidewalk my middle child takes to school.   There's no way for kids to get hurt so long as they don't try to climb up the hill onto the tracks. 

I was walking with both older boys before the eldest started middle school, maybe about 2 years ago or so.  In front of us was a woman walking with her two kids and the boy, perhaps about 6th grade, skittered up the hill and onto the train tracks and instead of climbing right back down, he started walking around up there.  The mother just kept on walking, completely ignoring him and not even bothering to tell him to get down. 

I knew this mother enough to know that if her child was hurt, she'd be blaming it on the train, not her son who shouldn't have been goofing off on the RR bridge in the first place.

Granted there was no train coming but this kid had walked to a place where there would be no safe way to get out of a train's way if it was coming through.  Dh said "Well any train coming through town HAS to go slower than it would out in the open so it's unlikely he'd be killed." I still tell my children that trains and their tracks are nothing to play around with.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata