Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5516992 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19725 on: February 25, 2013, 03:22:51 PM »
I am thinking it would be totally doable for a reasonable fee. Just figure how many people they could get at each table, bank on them having a full dinner (incl. appetizer & dessert) plus drinks, not to mention the people who would stand in that area and what all they would consume. Then add in turnover, and a healthy tip. Payable in advance. Oh yes, and a fee for being at the last minute. And a Snowflake Surcharge.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19726 on: February 25, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »
Evil LK can think of so many applications for the Snowflake Surcharge.  >:D

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19727 on: February 25, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
I've posted this before, but it seems appropriate here...

At the Williamsburg Pottery, there are train tracks running through it, dividing up the new and old sections.  There was a small sign next to them.  "Maybe you can beat the train.  And maybe you're DEAD WRONG."

There's a four-way stop here that goes over some train tracks. The number of people who try to beat the train is stupidly high. You'd think they would notice all of the little crosses stuck in the grass next to the track trains. I know I've come up on more than one car-vs-train accident over the years on those tracks. It's never pretty. The driver always ends up dead.

dawbs

« Reply #19728 on: February 25, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
I've posted this before, but it seems appropriate here...

At the Williamsburg Pottery, there are train tracks running through it, dividing up the new and old sections.  There was a small sign next to them.  "Maybe you can beat the train.  And maybe you're DEAD WRONG."

There's a four-way stop here that goes over some train tracks. The number of people who try to beat the train is stupidly high. You'd think they would notice all of the little crosses stuck in the grass next to the track trains. I know I've come up on more than one car-vs-train accident over the years on those tracks. It's never pretty. The driver always ends up dead.

On this front (no one died, disclaimer :)...one of my uncles was much to special to stop at the stop-sign railroad crossings in his area (rural area, no gates, just stop signs)
He memorized the train schedule, he barely slowed down/looked half the time.

Until the time they ran a 'special'.
He lived.  The people driving the train all lived.  the train lived.  his car, not so much.
He's gotten smarter and a little less (snow)flakey.

Waterlight

« Reply #19729 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »
Here's a Special Snowflake story from my work.

<BG> I work at a school.  Many of the teachers we've hired for permanent positions started out on our substitute list.  SS in this story used to be a full-time teacher but was on our sub list at the time. </BG>

A few years ago, when I was just getting started in Human Resources, we were recruiting for an assistant teacher for one of our preschool classrooms.  SS applied for the job.  She showed up to the interview in overly-tight sweats (you could clearly see every roll and crease of flesh), spent most of the interview talking about how much experience she already had here without really answering most of the questions, and was rude and abrupt with members of the interview panel ("Are we done yet?").  The panelists, which included a parent from the school, were NOT impressed--and it was decided we would offer the job to someone else.

She was very unhappy with me when I had to tell her she didn't get the job.  That wasn't unusual at all; I'd say it's about par for the course actually.  Most job candidates, when they get a thanks-but-no-thanks letter, are disappointed.  Often I'll get a reply to the standard thanks-but-no-thanks email saying something like, "I'm sorry I wasn't selected, hope you find someone."  Once or twice I have been asked for feedback from candidates on what they could have done differently.  Fair enough.

Where this job candidate crossed the border into the land of Special Snowflakia, IMHO, was with the way she expressed her displeasure.  If I'd had the spine then that I have now, I would have hung up on her after thirty seconds, maximum!  But noooooo... I listened to her scream at me on the phone for ten minutes about how her work experience should count for something, how incompetent I was, and how she was going to call Very Important Person and have me fired!  By the time the "conversation" ended, I was in tears.   :'(

SS got a talking-to from my then-boss later, with a warning that she'd be taken off the sub list if it happened again, but she remains on the list to this day--because in those ten minutes, her chances of ever getting a full-time job here again went down to somewhere between Snowball in H3ll and Pigs in Flight!
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #19730 on: February 25, 2013, 06:23:38 PM »

I've seen it as the PITA Surcharge (pain in the asterisk).  It was high enough that the service person could snicker at the thought of how fast they were earning money on the ONE job - that SS was probably never going to come back to them due to the high price of services.  Or if they did come back - there would be more planning involved so as not to have the "rush charge" (what the PITA surcharge was called to the customer's face).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19731 on: February 25, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »
I might be on CS or Not Always Right tonight.

I was at my grocery store. A teenage boy was checking me out. Another boy came up and handed him a cookie.

I asked him to stop checking me out and if it was peanut butter (right color).

He said yes

I asked him to stop checking me out finish the cookie and clean his hands before touching my stuff.

He said he couldn't do that he was on a timer and KEPT checking me out.

I told him to stop - that I am deathly allergic and can't touch things that may have traces of peanut oil on them.

He kept checking me out.

I told him flat out to stop NOW. He still didn't get it but got that I was mad. The bagger went and got the disinfected wipes they keep at the cart station and wiped down my stuff. I didn't have any fruit or veg - everything was packaged.

I spoke to the the manager (i love this store and regularly fill out complementary comment cards about the excellent service and he knows it.) He said he would speak to the boys about eating while checking people out especially peanut products.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Jocelyn

« Reply #19732 on: February 25, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »
   Dh said "Well any train coming through town HAS to go slower than it would out in the open so it's unlikely he'd be killed." I still tell my children that trains and their tracks are nothing to play around with.
I was once told by an engineer that at top speed, it takes more than a mile to stop a train. He said that rarely did he have the line-of-sight to see someone/something on the tracks in time to stop the train, at any speed.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19733 on: February 25, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »
   Dh said "Well any train coming through town HAS to go slower than it would out in the open so it's unlikely he'd be killed." I still tell my children that trains and their tracks are nothing to play around with.

That's like saying "Any lion in a zoo has GOT to be tame enough that you could just walk up and pet it through the bars, so it's unlikely he'd be killed."

Cami

« Reply #19734 on: February 25, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »

I've seen it as the PITA Surcharge (pain in the asterisk).  It was high enough that the service person could snicker at the thought of how fast they were earning money on the ONE job - that SS was probably never going to come back to them due to the high price of services.  Or if they did come back - there would be more planning involved so as not to have the "rush charge" (what the PITA surcharge was called to the customer's face).

When I worked in bridal as a fitter, I set the prices for the alterations work. Let's just say that some people got very reasonable rates. Others, not so much. I called it the "EA" charge -- as in, emotional anguish caused by dealing with them.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #19735 on: February 25, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »
I think I've mentioned this man before, but I just have to tonight.

We went to the clubhouse where my husband's sport hobby occurs, to have dinner. There's a viewing area and a seating area. We were in the middle of our burgers when the most horrible smell wafted through.

You see, there's a member of the club who works at a hog farm. And he doesn't appear to shower before coming to the club, much less changing his clothes, so he comes in reeking of hog manure. It permeates everywhere. I honestly do not know why nobody has said anything to him, it's that offensive. And it creates an embarrassing situation when small kids are present, because of course they want to know what the bad smell is.

It wouldn't have been (so) bad if he stood away from other people, in the viewing area, etc. But oh no. He came and sat at the next table from us in the eating area, and then stood 10 feet away (we could still smell him, he's quite pungent.) I lost my appetite and now am pretty queasy. I hadn't seen him all year so thought he perhaps moved to a different night. Nope, I've just been lucky. I don't know if other people will agree, but IMO it's incredibly snowflakey to inflict an odor that bad on people, especially people who are eating. Blahh.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #19736 on: February 25, 2013, 07:56:04 PM »

I was at my grocery store. A teenage boy was checking me out. Another boy came up and handed him a cookie.

He said yes

I asked him to stop checking me out finish the cookie and clean his hands before touching my stuff.

I told him to stop - that I am deathly allergic and can't touch things that may have traces of peanut oil on them.

He kept checking me out.

I told him flat out to stop NOW. He still didn't get it but got that I was mad. The bagger went and got the disinfected wipes they keep at the cart station and wiped down my stuff. I didn't have any fruit or veg - everything was packaged.

I spoke to the the manager (i love this store and regularly fill out complementary comment cards about the excellent service and he knows it.) He said he would speak to the boys about eating while checking people out especially peanut products.

I would have probably walked away after the second time he refused.  Once you explained to him why, that should have been enough.  I'm glad you spoke to a manager.  That being said, I doubt this was out of maliciousness (not saying that you think it was).

I worked as a manager in fast food.  We had a chicken salad pecan sandwich that we were required to cut with a different knife.  One time, I caught an employee cutting it with the same knife as everything else.  I told he him couldn't do that and had to cut if with a different knife.  He got flippant with me and said mayonnaise really wasn't that bad and so what if a little go on everything else?

I had to tell him it wasn't just the mayo, it was the pecans!  People have severe peanut allergies and the cross contamination could likely kill someone.  He blinked at me and I could see the weight of what I was saying dawning on him.  If it had been a cartoon, he would have visibly gulped.  The guy hadn't even thought of that!  He never did that again...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #19737 on: February 25, 2013, 09:10:58 PM »

He said yes

He kept checking me out.

I would have probably walked away after the second time he refused.  Once you explained to him why, that should have been enough.  I'm glad you spoke to a manager.  That being said, I doubt this was out of maliciousness (not saying that you think it was).

I worked as a manager in fast food.  We had a chicken salad pecan sandwich that we were required to cut with a different knife.  One time, I caught an employee cutting it with the same knife as everything else.  I told he him couldn't do that and had to cut if with a different knife.  He got flippant with me and said mayonnaise really wasn't that bad and so what if a little go on everything else?

I had to tell him it wasn't just the mayo, it was the pecans!  People have severe peanut allergies and the cross contamination could likely kill someone.  He blinked at me and I could see the weight of what I was saying dawning on him.  If it had been a cartoon, he would have visibly gulped.  The guy hadn't even thought of that!  He never did that again...

I bet he was thinking about all the other times he'd cut that sandwich with the regular knife and thanking deity that nothing bad had happened.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19738 on: February 25, 2013, 09:30:47 PM »
When applying for college, there are many responsibilities that belong to the applicant. Special circumstances can hold up an application, and require special information be supplied. These special circumstances include international citizenship, prior conduct issues (educational and legal), and special residency issues like asylum seeking and so on. Once a person is admitted, registers for a class and actually attends that class, they are considered a student. They only have 4 days to drop a class once the term starts, or they have to pay for it.

An applicant had one of those special circumstances, and did not comply with requests for paperwork to document the circumstances in a timely manner. Therefore, that applicant was not admitted to the university until the first day of classes. She tried again the next term. She was successful and started taking classes, but the student stopped attending and eventually withdrew from the classes in order to avoid a negative grade.

Now the student is telling different stories to different staff members and thinks it is unfair for the university to charge her for the classes she took.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19739 on: February 25, 2013, 10:55:56 PM »
I was once told by an engineer that at top speed, it takes more than a mile to stop a train. He said that rarely did he have the line-of-sight to see someone/something on the tracks in time to stop the train, at any speed.

That's what I was thinking, and even if the kid wasn't killed, he'd at the very least be inconveniently injured so why play chicken at all?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata