Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5093522 times)

Craftyone

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19770 on: February 27, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way here, you don't get to say who'll they'll ring first.  I've given my refs in order of who they should speak to, putting my last manager last and told them why. They nod, say they understand, then ring him and nobody else.

I'd be really tempted to start leaving that year-long job off my resume. Tell them you were taking classes or something.

I was saying to my friend, who's one of the refs they should be ringing, that I'm going to leave off that manager and if they want to speak with him request an undertaking signed in blood that they will also ring one of the others  >:D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19771 on: February 27, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »
A friend, age 30, is planning her wedding. Her mother is normally a very nice woman and friend and her mom have a great relationship, though her mom is a little opinionated and has always believed "Mother knows best" but friend has a backbone and can give as good as she gets.  Friend is her first daughter to marry and Mom is very excited about the wedding and seems to be allowing her excitement get the better of her. There have been a number of things Mom has done that we've all had a chuckle about, but this one puts her squarely in the SS category.

Friend and her mom were meeting with the secretary of their church (one friend's family has attended for many years) about identifying open dates for the wedding.  Church Secreatry was reviewing with friend pre-marital counseling requirements.  Mom asked Church Secretary if she could attend the pre-marital counseling with her DD and future son in law.  While Friends jaw was still on the floor, Church Secretary responded "Under no circumstances would you ever be permitted to attend the counseling with them but I'm sure Father X will have some words of counsel for YOU."

Friend and I have a feeling this wasn't the first time Church Secretary had encountered a SS Mother of the Bride.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19772 on: February 27, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
Does the MOB have any idea what topics are covered in that counseling?  :o

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #19773 on: February 27, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »

With a tip-off from the church secretary, I'm sure the first topic will be "keeping your in-laws from interfering in your marriage."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

nuit93

« Reply #19774 on: February 27, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »

With a tip-off from the church secretary, I'm sure the first topic will be "keeping your in-laws from interfering in your marriage."

I would certainly hope so!

/wonders if the church secretary is an E-Hellion.

NyaChan

« Reply #19775 on: February 27, 2013, 05:05:55 PM »
If I were the daughter, I'd 1) ask her why on earth would she want to be in there and then 2) have a discussion about boundaries

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #19776 on: February 27, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »
I heard this one on the radio the other day. The station had a segment with a child educator and parents had sent in questions earlier, to be answered on air. One parent said that his son, a high school freshman, disliked studying, did no homework and acted out in class. It was only the second week of classes but the school, which the son had attended his entire life, was already asking for a parent conference to address the son's issues.

The Snowflake expert was outraged at the school. How dare they blame it all on the parents? Note, the letter said nothing about blaming the parents, only that the school wanted to talk to them. The parents should immediately call the school and demand that they explain why THEIR student hated studying and why hadn't they taught him to enjoy learning. It was all the school's fault really and the parents should refuse to do anything about it.

Jocelyn

« Reply #19777 on: February 27, 2013, 10:13:53 PM »
I'm a law student, so obviously I care about words and word choice quite a bit. My mother...not so much. 
I didn't know my sister had children! >:D
I could not break her of the habit of addressing mail to me on Rosebud Lane. I did not live on Rosebud Lane; I lived on Redbud Lane. She considered it unimportant; if the mail got to me, what difference did it make whether she wrote Rosebud or Redbud?
I could not convince her that I wouldn't know how many letters she sent that did NOT make it to me...
And yes, she's always irritated to have anyone say they don't know what she's talking about, when she's using the wrong words.

Jocelyn

« Reply #19778 on: February 27, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »

There is NO smell quite as awful as pig.  When my girls did 4-H, for many reasons they didn't get to do pigs, but a contributing factor was the stench.  All the kids on the pig project had to have clothing and shoes that never even got in the car, that stayed at the farm with the livestock, and they changed in the bathrooms.  Once it's in your clothing, you can NOT get it out again. 
FWIW, it IS possible to remove pig smell from clothing. My father was a hog buyer, and he devised a laundry method that involved presoaking for a day or two in the garage...by the time he brought his clothes into the house, they could be laundered with the rest of the family's clothes, and they came out smelling just as clean.
Unfortunately, I never learned what was in his special laundry solution...

Jocelyn

« Reply #19779 on: February 27, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »
If I were the daughter, I'd 1) ask her why on earth would she want to be in there and then 2) have a discussion about boundaries
She's planning on being Father's co-therapist. Obviously, she knows everything there is to know about running a marriage!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #19780 on: February 27, 2013, 10:26:16 PM »
I used to think my pants were crazy until I got to really know about some of my friends' parents. Then I thanked mine for being sane and reasonable - and confused them. :)

Then I started reading eHell......
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MerryCat

« Reply #19781 on: February 27, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
She's planning on being Father's co-therapist. Obviously, she knows everything there is to know about running a marriage!

Is it weird that I read that as "she knows everything there is to know about ruining a marriage?" LOL

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19782 on: February 28, 2013, 12:33:02 AM »
I worked as a manager in fast food.  We had a chicken salad pecan sandwich that we were required to cut with a different knife.  One time, I caught an employee cutting it with the same knife as everything else.  I told he him couldn't do that and had to cut if with a different knife.  He got flippant with me and said mayonnaise really wasn't that bad and so what if a little go on everything else?

I had to tell him it wasn't just the mayo, it was the pecans!  People have severe peanut allergies and the cross contamination could likely kill someone.  He blinked at me and I could see the weight of what I was saying dawning on him.  If it had been a cartoon, he would have visibly gulped.  The guy hadn't even thought of that!  He never did that again...
One of DD's friends had a severe nut allergy, and nearly died because the sundae maker at Friendly's allowed a single bit of nut down at the very bottom of her sundae glass.  His comment was "So it makes her sneeze.  Big effin' deal."
The server was clearly wrong, but I do have to say that my mind was a little boggled by the idea of going to Friendly's with a nut allergy that severe.  The potential for cross contamination there is so high with the peanuts, and peanut butter sauce and walnuts for the sundaes. I don't know if they use peanut oil in the fryer but if so there's that too, and then are the tables wiped carefully enough in between each group... It just seems like it's high on the "top ten do-not-go places" for nut allergies at that level.
This girl wasn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier, and wanted to be with her friends.  ::)   I agree with you.  In fact, if I had a severe allergy to foods that don't have a strong odor, I wouldn't go near a place that used lots of it and had mostly teen workers, for that very reason. Between the lack of understanding about food allergies and the general attitude of "do it the easiest way", it would be very dangerous.  (Mustard sensitivity here -- but barfing is nowhere near anaphylactic shock, and  mustard has a very strong odor and is generally easily spotted on a hamburger or other sandwich.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19783 on: February 28, 2013, 02:08:04 AM »

His response "Well, I WILL be a librarian if you guys will just HELP ME DO MY HOMEWORK."
I'm afraid I walked away at that point and he avoided me all evening.

That's the point at which I would put pants on my head and pencils up my nose.

I love the image!  I never had to deal with an MLS student but, I can easily believe the story of Bean.  You do have to wonder how some Grad students got through High School let alone be awarded their Bachelor degree. 

He's only just starting on an associate's degree at the local community college.  We can't wait until he starts with the real library stuff.....I think I will put in a supply of pencils and pants at the reference desk.

If he's like at now, what's he going to be like with MARC, DDC or LCSH?

I'm studying to be a library technician and you need to know your stuff. No one can do it for you. You either know it, or you don't.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #19784 on: February 28, 2013, 08:55:37 AM »

His response "Well, I WILL be a librarian if you guys will just HELP ME DO MY HOMEWORK."
I'm afraid I walked away at that point and he avoided me all evening.

That's the point at which I would put pants on my head and pencils up my nose.

I love the image!  I never had to deal with an MLS student but, I can easily believe the story of Bean.  You do have to wonder how some Grad students got through High School let alone be awarded their Bachelor degree. 

He's only just starting on an associate's degree at the local community college.  We can't wait until he starts with the real library stuff.....I think I will put in a supply of pencils and pants at the reference desk.

If he's like at now, what's he going to be like with MARC, DDC or LCSH?

I'm studying to be a library technician and you need to know your stuff. No one can do it for you. You either know it, or you don't.

Yikes!  Hadn't even thought of that.  (As someone who only took one cataloging class, I can admit that MARC and I have a nodding acquaintance that I became more comfortable with only AFTER I had been on the job for about fifteen or more years.)  Most of us think Bean believes that, because he sees us parked at the reference desk most of the day, he believes that we sit down for a living.  My supervisor said "Wait, is that the guy [followed by long, accurate description of Bean}?"  We said "Yep."  "Yeah," said Supervisor, if I'm still here when he applies for a job, I'm going with NO.  I don't want a coworker who spends his free time on [name of revolting, lascivious website]."

Given the titles of the movies Bean keeps asking me to buy (and which I keep rejecting because--ewww) I believe it.