Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5755243 times)

Jones

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19830 on: March 04, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »
The two girls who stopped in the middle of the track to hug and chat today, taking two of the three lanes, ignoring those of us coming up behind.

Shalamar

« Reply #19831 on: March 04, 2013, 09:06:41 PM »
The kid who decided to walk through the traffic today, weaving in and out between cars, despite a pedestrian crosswalk being less than ten feet away.  It was snowing and slippery, and I came thisclose to hitting him.

rain

« Reply #19832 on: March 04, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »
the ?clueless?  high school student who walked in front of a moving bus - I still don't know how the driver managed to avoid hitting her
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #19833 on: March 04, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »
Charming lady today was walking in the middle of the busy road during rush hour, reading a paperback book.  At dusk wearing dark clothing.

ajbell

« Reply #19834 on: March 04, 2013, 11:19:50 PM »
I was on my home from work tonight, when I was stopped at a light.  This particular intersection has (from left to right) a forced left-turn lane, a lane with the option to turn left or go straight, a lane that goes straight only, and a forced right-turn lane.

I was in the straight only lane, with one car in front of me, several behind me, and the lane to my left had a line of cars stopped.  All of the sudden, someone on a motorcycle comes racing towards the intersection between the lane I'm in and the lane to my left, and proceeds to pull in front of the car ahead of me.  That's bad enough, then I see them turn into a parking lot, cut through it, and turn out onto the cross street--basically the same trick they could've done if they had been willing to wait in the left-turn lane. 

sunnygirl

« Reply #19835 on: March 05, 2013, 12:14:13 AM »

Today I learned that Franklin Delano Roosevelt orhestrated a coup which caused the Great Depression so he could become president.
And the reason that you never realized this important historical fact is because of the massive government coverup.  You know, the coverup that was so good that no shred of proof ever saw the light of day!  That's how you know there was a coverup.

My theory is that Abraham Lincoln was one of those aliens from V.  He caused the Civil War so that his fellow aliens could harvest the food animals (us!) without spooking the rest of the herd.  Hey, prove that it DIDN'T happen that way!  See the depth of the coverup?

I'm amazed he had time, what with all that vampire hunting he did.

It's true - I know - I read it in a library book.  ;D

KB

« Reply #19836 on: March 05, 2013, 06:04:51 AM »
Re bad driving, the TAC here in Australia has brought out two incredibly powerful new ads to warn against distracted driving. Please note that they are intended to SHOCK and UPSET you, so please don't watch if car accidents are a touchy subject, but I for one applaud them whole-heartedly:

A country-based ad

A city-based ad

If you have family members who text, take calls, etc while driving, I suggest you get them to watch these.

magician5

« Reply #19837 on: March 05, 2013, 06:51:24 AM »
Those ads are quite enough to "shake me up"! Hope they improve such situations.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #19838 on: March 05, 2013, 07:09:46 AM »

I doubt they will. They'll shake up the people who'd never do such a thing anyway, but the ones who do will just shake their heads and go "But I'm smarter than that - it won't happen to me".

Generalized of course. But I've seen a ton of such "scare campaigns" and hate them.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #19839 on: March 05, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »
VorSon and I were walking out to the vehicle after buying him a new pair of shoes, when the SUV we were still walking past started to back up...missing me by inches.  The driver apparently stopped to check oncoming traffic coming up behind us (and him) because he started backing up again while I stepped along a LOT faster to get out of his way!

Windows were dark with film and the woman in the passenger seat was facing him, not the passenger side of the vehicle.

It took twenty minutes to get over the adrenalin shock......and get mad at him instead of scared!  At least my body was smart enough to pick the "flight" option instead of the "fight" option.....because I would have lost a "fight"!
DH had the same thing happen to him when Elfqueen was about 2.  Car pulled up to the curb and stopped.  DH and Elfqueen stepped off the curb behind it, just as it started to back up.  He jerked Elfqueen out of the way with one hand, and yelled and banged on the trunk lid with the other hand.  No damage except to everyone's nerves.

That happened when VorSon was younger (and shorter) - he held my hand in parking lots for almost a decade "because Mommy is afraid of cars and needs someone to hold her hand to make her feel braver".  Once he was almost as tall as I am, he could quit holding my hand.  Now that he is a little taller than his mother - he just carries the heavy shopping for me!  I'm still trying to figure out how a woman of more than average height a step behind a guy who is almost as tall as the vehicle the guy was driving didn't get seen......unless they were ONLY looking for vehicular traffic on the driver's side and not pedestrians walking behind or to the passenger side of their vehicle at all.  If I hadn't had an expensive Nook HD+ in my purse - I'd have swung it at the car to make a loud noise - but I didn't want to BREAK anything.

Sheesh......I have to go back there today to pick up something, too.  I hope that that family isn't back there.....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:32:16 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #19840 on: March 05, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »
An Australian University apparently got fed up with all the people who insisted that they should not have to pay a parking fine, because their situation was speshul.

The excuses we commonly get and why they won't work

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19841 on: March 05, 2013, 02:52:41 PM »

I'm not a fan of shock PSAs but these are well done. 

I would ask one question.  Why does rhe color of the  driver's shirt change from solid to plaid just before impact?  Does anyone know?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19842 on: March 05, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »
An Australian University apparently got fed up with all the people who insisted that they should not have to pay a parking fine, because their situation was speshul.

The excuses we commonly get and why they won't work

Parking, so I've heard, is a valuable commodity at uni. I always took the bus. But the year I lived on campus we were right near the medicine faculty, and med students thought they were entitled to use our spaces.

This also reminds me of an episode of the west wing with the UN...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:19:53 PM by Katana_Geldar »

Yarnspinner

« Reply #19843 on: March 05, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times, how many times MUST you be shown how to do a print preview, how to increase and decrease the size of a photo, BEFORE you send it to print and then blame our printer (once again) for making the photo so tiny/too big/B&W (because, "click the color option RIGHT HERE" seems to be beyond your understanding)????  Seriously, you have been coming here for six months and my colleagues and I have shown you how to do this half a dozen times each.  We aren't wizards at this, we just follow the directions.  You appear to be literate so why can't YOU do this? 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19844 on: March 05, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »
People who snuggle alcohol in cruise ships.

Really, the drinks are cheap compared to land ($9 martinis which are usually $15 to $20) and they go to do much effort to conceal the grog with the risk of it getting found...

Why bother?