Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5646731 times)

Shalamar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19845 on: March 05, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »
Personally, I find drinks on cruises to be unbelievably expensive, but maybe I'm just cheap.   :)   That said, I wouldn't try to smuggle booze onboard - the risk of getting caught is just too great.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19846 on: March 05, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »
The price comparison was so great that Its one of th reasons that DH and I want to go back.

What can you expect to pay in the US for a martini? Here, as I said, it's 15-20.

dawbs

« Reply #19847 on: March 05, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »
The price comparison was so great that Its one of th reasons that DH and I want to go back.

What can you expect to pay in the US for a martini? Here, as I said, it's 15-20.

Sometimes, 'expensive' and cheap vary GREATLY by part of the country--each state sets it's own tax rates for some of this stuff.
I'd expect $10 for a martini in a bar...but I also usually make my drinks at home, where it's closer to $5. (give or take $4, because I can vary the quality of my liquor  ;))

Shalamar

« Reply #19848 on: March 05, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »
Yeah, what dawbs said.  I don't tend to order drinks outside my house because it's so freakin' expensive.   :)

Rohanna

« Reply #19849 on: March 05, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »
For a Martini? about $5-7 CDN dollars at a regular restaurant, maybe up to 8-9 for a fancier cocktail  or one of the few more upscale restaurants. In larger cities like Toronto I know it's more in the 9-15 range at high-end restaurants- I looked up Canoe's menu for reference and their martinis are listed at $12 each.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #19850 on: March 05, 2013, 05:40:41 PM »
I like Holland America because you can bring on unlimited amounts of wine.

but yeah, the liquor prices can be pretty outrageous onboard the ship.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19851 on: March 05, 2013, 08:05:09 PM »
In Houston, a nine-dollar martini is high-end for all but the ritziest restaurants, but medium-range for strip clubs.
Words mean things.

snowdragon

« Reply #19852 on: March 05, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
From graduate school today:  I spent most of last week 10-12 hours a day working on a presentation.  My partner made a smartboard activity.  We presented it today. Immediately upon finishing the chick behind me asked the teacher if she could have a copy of our project "so I can reference it when I work on mine." my jaw dropped.  Apparently since we were the first we need to provide everyone else with a guide so they don't have to work so hard.

yeah, I am not impressed with this concept.

Our presentation and the discussion was the very last thing to happen in class, so when I got home and went to work on homework, there was an email to the entire class from the same chick demanding that we all 'share' copies of our first project ( 10 ideas on how to use a smart board) so she "can use your ideas in my classes" - honestly, do your own work, but stealing from me is not going to make me like you.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19853 on: March 05, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »
...   From graduate school today:  I spent most of last week 10-12 hours a day working on a presentation.  My partner made a smartboard activity.  We presented it today. Immediately upon finishing the chick behind me asked the teacher if she could have a copy of our project "so I can reference it when I work on mine."  ...

I'm curious.  What was the teacher's response? ???

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19854 on: March 05, 2013, 08:42:17 PM »
People who snuggle alcohol in cruise ships.

Really, the drinks are cheap compared to land ($9 martinis which are usually $15 to $20) and they go to do much effort to conceal the grog with the risk of it getting found...

Why bother?

Is it illegal?  What happens if they get caught?

mmswm

« Reply #19855 on: March 05, 2013, 08:45:10 PM »

Really, the drinks are cheap compared to land ($9 martinis which are usually $15 to $20) and they go to do much effort to conceal the grog with the risk of it getting found...

Why bother?

I find the thought of snuggling with one's alcohol a bit disturbing under any circumstances.  >:D

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

snowdragon

« Reply #19856 on: March 05, 2013, 08:46:11 PM »
...   From graduate school today:  I spent most of last week 10-12 hours a day working on a presentation.  My partner made a smartboard activity.  We presented it today. Immediately upon finishing the chick behind me asked the teacher if she could have a copy of our project "so I can reference it when I work on mine."  ...

I'm curious.  What was the teacher's response? ???

She was like "only if they want to"   

She encourages sharing, I don't believe in sharing.  I figure if I can put in the work, so can everyone else.  But this chick wants a copy of everything everyone makes for this class.  I will continue to refuse

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #19857 on: March 05, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
Good for you.  She can do her own work or fail.

dawnfire

« Reply #19858 on: March 05, 2013, 09:19:12 PM »
Those ads are quite enough to "shake me up"! Hope they improve such situations.

I'm not a fan of shock PSAs but these are well done. 

I would ask one question.  Why does rhe color of the  driver's shirt change from solid to plaid just before impact?  Does anyone know?

I think they were cost cutting. they did two ads one for metro (solid shirt)  and one for rural (plaid) and in the common scenes (passing the cyclists), they used the same piece of footage.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #19859 on: March 05, 2013, 09:53:53 PM »

Why bother?

Is it illegal?  What happens if they get caught?

They will confiscate it, tag it, and return it the night before you leave.  Same as if you buy alcohol in port