Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5291133 times)

Lorelei_Evil

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19950 on: March 08, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »
I was thinking the same.

Dr. F.

« Reply #19951 on: March 08, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »
Here is a link for your amusement or dismay.

http://www.observertoday.com/page/content.detail/id/582249/Anti-social-media.html?nav=5047

Two women were in a verbal exchange at a local small village board meeting.  One of the women is a village trustee, and the other is a village resident.  These two apparently are feuding. 

The resident complained that the trustee had posted on facebook about her[the resident's] unpaid water bill.  The trustee claims that this is public information already posted on the county website.

The resident made this SS statement:  "I don't want to pay a water bill when I feel like I am getting nothing for it."

This is an easy fix. Turn off her water, and she can figure out what she's getting by paying that bill. Eeesh.

Jocelyn

« Reply #19952 on: March 09, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »

I used to work in a bank, and I'm very familiar with what you describe here.  Whenever someone who shorts change responds in that way, it's a very good indicator that they're skimming and trying to shame the target into letting the matter drop.   

I read once about a large company whose payroll was done by an employee who was his company's Bob Cratchitt. After several decades, loyal Mr. Crachitt suddenly did not show up for work one day. When they checked on him, they found his residence vacated and no one had any idea where he was.
In the course of the audit that followed, they discovered Mr. Cratchitt had been siphoning off some small odd amount from every check he issued (say, 12 cents), for most of his employment (that is, since he realized he was his company's Bob Crachitt) and those 12-cent-s had been channeled into an offshore account in the Caribbean. Where, apparently, Mr. and Mrs. Crachitt were now enjoying a delightful retirement.

Dr. F.

« Reply #19953 on: March 09, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »

I used to work in a bank, and I'm very familiar with what you describe here.  Whenever someone who shorts change responds in that way, it's a very good indicator that they're skimming and trying to shame the target into letting the matter drop.   

I read once about a large company whose payroll was done by an employee who was his company's Bob Cratchitt. After several decades, loyal Mr. Crachitt suddenly did not show up for work one day. When they checked on him, they found his residence vacated and no one had any idea where he was.
In the course of the audit that followed, they discovered Mr. Cratchitt had been siphoning off some small odd amount from every check he issued (say, 12 cents), for most of his employment (that is, since he realized he was his company's Bob Crachitt) and those 12-cent-s had been channeled into an offshore account in the Caribbean. Where, apparently, Mr. and Mrs. Crachitt were now enjoying a delightful retirement.
[/quote

"Office Space" in real life!

Jones

« Reply #19954 on: March 09, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »
Today I was dragging myself around the gym's indoor track with my toddler sleeping on my back (no gym childcare on most Saturdays), watching my daughter climb up and down the rock wall. The rule at this gym is that all minors under age 14 must be supervised by an adult. There are extra gym workers at the pool and the climbing wall so kids can hang out in those spots.

Anyway. A group of about 7-8 preteens, mostly boys with a couple girls, were racing around each other, racing the wrong way on the track (apparently I was an obstacle), leaping from one piece of exercise equipment to another, being general nuisances for a few minutes. One of the center's supervisors rounded them all up and informed them this wasn't acceptable, they needed to be supervised by an adult. They pointed at a woman standing in a corner, back to them, talking on her cell phone. Apparently this was their adult.

Next time I saw them they were sweating it out on a row of bicycles, the lady's cell phone was put away and she was leaning on a pillar staring at them with a tired-looking frown. I hope they sleep well tonight.

Minmom3

« Reply #19955 on: March 09, 2013, 10:30:18 PM »
That reminds me of an ex-neighbor who, when her children were particularly rumbustious, would send them outside to "do a lap around the house!"  Or multiple laps.  Every once in a while, they had to be REALLY tired before they were allowed back inside.  Did wonders for pre-teen attitudes!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19956 on: March 10, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »
That reminds me of an ex-neighbor who, when her children were particularly rumbustious, would send them outside to "do a lap around the house!"  Or multiple laps.  Every once in a while, they had to be REALLY tired before they were allowed back inside.  Did wonders for pre-teen attitudes!

My mom's solution was to send us out to chase the dogs. With 6 acres of woods to run on. Worked like a charm.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #19957 on: March 10, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »

My mom's solution was to send us out to chase the dogs. With 6 acres of woods to run on. Worked like a charm.

If youngest son was bouncing off the walls, I made him run around the block. I only had  to do this a couple times, and threatened once when we moved to the mobile home park. I told him if he didn't knock it off, he was going to run around the block, and the blocks were bigger here.

Speaking of youngest son, he had a friend here, and this kid lived for video games. He came over one day, and wanted Josh to go to his house and play video games. I told him it was too nice a day to be inside, and that he was to play outside. The boy told my son that he should just beg until I gave in like he did to his parents. My son said, no way, that will just make her mad, and I will have to stay inside, and get to do nothing.

mmswm

« Reply #19958 on: March 10, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »

I've done this a time or two since I've been at my parents.  They have several acres (of flat grass, but still suitable for running), and I have a 130lb Mastiff that loves to play and a 10lb rat/jack russel terrier mix that can't seem to find her "off" switch. The older two can run around with them and the little one can toss the tennis balls until they're all worn out.  Besides, play is a good outlet, so it does them good while at the same time helping me keep my sanity.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #19959 on: March 11, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »
Someone told me about a vacation they went on, where one special snowflake spent the first day of their holiday to the desert location whining about the dust and that the dust was trying to kill her. She spent the first day walking around swaddled up like a mummy in scarves wrapped around her face whining about how the dust was sooooooo bad.

Day two, she decides that the dust is giving her some kind of selfdiagnosed lung problems, so she takes her sister's asthma medication (even though she herself does not have asthma). Then she decides that the asthma medication is making her heart race, so she takes her dad's heart medication (despite she herself not having a heart condition). She ended up in hospital, where the rest of the vacationers dumped her (and her boyfriend) and returned to their holiday home, sick of her self inflicted drama.

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19960 on: March 11, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »
That is so dangerous! I am trained as a wilderness medic, and we keep inhalors and heart medications with us, but we don't use them unless the person has been diagnosed. I hope her family keeps their medication locked up and away from her reach.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19961 on: March 11, 2013, 09:26:19 AM »
I can't blame them for dumping her and her boyfriend at the hospital.  I think I would too after that much drama and whining.  I don't tolerate whining very well, and taking meds, some which might have been pricey to begin with but even more importantly not prescribed to her, is just inviting more drama.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

pharmagal

« Reply #19962 on: March 11, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »
Snowflake Agreewithmyrudeness Specialia:

My SO’s mother was recounting the story of one of her first dates with her husband to me. Evidently, they were on a drive through the mountains, and she put one of his 8 track tapes in for music. It turned out to be some sort of heavy metal band ("you know, that rwaaaar rwaaar rwaaaar kind of music… horrible!"), so she took great delight in telling me that she rolled down the window, chucked it out, and "he’s never listened to anything but country western and easy listening since!"

I must admit, I wasn’t very graceful either, because as she stared at me, obviously expecting me to praise her for her great handling of the situation and training of said husband, all I could respond with was "sounds like a waste of a great 8 track" (I happen to love late-70s metal, myself).  That was much kinder than what my brain was screaming ("seriously, why did this man keep dating you, let alone marry you after this and other similar stories!").

WOW!  That's just...I think I'd be staring at her in disbelief myself. DH and I don't see eye to eye on some forms of music (He loves anime but is not a huge fan of musicals.  I'm the opposite) but I wouldn't dream of throwing his cd's out the window!

I'll out myself as an SS about now.

Waaaay back in the dark ages when my husband and I first started dating, there were two things wrong with the musical world.  The Red Nose Song (a fundraiser cassette for the SIDs foundation in NZ) and Billy Ray Cyrus.  (Some gave all...I didn't )  We lived in the back of beyond so most dates involved a great deal of driving.  I should note that they came out roughly within 6 months of each other.

After about 6 weeks of non stop tormenting me with which ever one came out first, let's say Achy Breaky Heart, I grabbed it out of the tape deck, pulled a little of the tape out and threw it out the window. 

A month of two later, the next one was released.  And over played.  And despite the begging and the pleading and finally the warning about what happened last time, it too suffered the same fate.

It's been a running joke for the past few years as to the depth of my distaste for both songs - once he bought home the Billy ray CD from a 2nd hand shop.  I gave it to a friend a few months later when we moved.  And every now and then he'll crank it up on youtube because he knows I won't throw that out the window.  Yet.

So I'm an SS.  And I can live with it.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #19963 on: March 11, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »
Snowflake Agreewithmyrudeness Specialia:

My SO’s mother was recounting the story of one of her first dates with her husband to me. Evidently, they were on a drive through the mountains, and she put one of his 8 track tapes in for music. It turned out to be some sort of heavy metal band ("you know, that rwaaaar rwaaar rwaaaar kind of music… horrible!"), so she took great delight in telling me that she rolled down the window, chucked it out, and "he’s never listened to anything but country western and easy listening since!"

I must admit, I wasn’t very graceful either, because as she stared at me, obviously expecting me to praise her for her great handling of the situation and training of said husband, all I could respond with was "sounds like a waste of a great 8 track" (I happen to love late-70s metal, myself).  That was much kinder than what my brain was screaming ("seriously, why did this man keep dating you, let alone marry you after this and other similar stories!").

WOW!  That's just...I think I'd be staring at her in disbelief myself. DH and I don't see eye to eye on some forms of music (He loves anime but is not a huge fan of musicals.  I'm the opposite) but I wouldn't dream of throwing his cd's out the window!

I'll out myself as an SS about now.

Waaaay back in the dark ages when my husband and I first started dating, there were two things wrong with the musical world.  The Red Nose Song (a fundraiser cassette for the SIDs foundation in NZ) and Billy Ray Cyrus.  (Some gave all...I didn't )  We lived in the back of beyond so most dates involved a great deal of driving.  I should note that they came out roughly within 6 months of each other.

After about 6 weeks of non stop tormenting me with which ever one came out first, let's say Achy Breaky Heart, I grabbed it out of the tape deck, pulled a little of the tape out and threw it out the window. 

A month of two later, the next one was released.  And over played.  And despite the begging and the pleading and finally the warning about what happened last time, it too suffered the same fate.

It's been a running joke for the past few years as to the depth of my distaste for both songs - once he bought home the Billy ray CD from a 2nd hand shop.  I gave it to a friend a few months later when we moved.  And every now and then he'll crank it up on youtube because he knows I won't throw that out the window.  Yet.

So I'm an SS.  And I can live with it.

Who wouldn’t have wanted to chuck an Achy Breaky Heart tape out the window in the mid/late 90s. That’s something any sane person with momentary bouts of irrationality would do. Especially since it sounds like you asked and begged to stop the torture before tossing the tape, rather than putting it in, realizing you disliked it, and immediately chucking.

As opposed to SO’s mom, who is an irrational person with very, very rare bouts of borderline sanity.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19964 on: March 11, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »
Oh man, I hate that song.  That was popular when I was in middle school and our gym teacher apparently loved it because during our square dance unit she'd have us dance to that song over and over. 

I do however love the Weird Al Version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJWWKj_wptY
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata