Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5382879 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19980 on: March 11, 2013, 08:58:04 PM »
....   so he was obviously picking on you because he liked you and fully expected you to defenestrate the irritant.  ;D

Am I the only one here who had to look up the word defenestrate?   ;D

I love that word - or I should say Snarky and Evil love that word.

They just threatened the embroidery machine (and there's a cement driveway under the second story sewing room - they could DO IT, easily) if she didn't start behaving herself and embroider properly.  SHE just came back from a three week stay at the sewing & embroidery machine spa!  Snarky and Evil had plans and the spa trip took priority on the budget.

That was cases of chocolate bunnies (especially if you wait until the day after Easter)!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

diesel_darlin

« Reply #19981 on: March 11, 2013, 09:04:02 PM »
before we get back to the snowflakes, i am going to confess something to y'all. I own the tape with achy breaky and some gave all on it...

I attended a Billy Ray Cyrus concert right after that song came out.

And I was a total SS. I did NOT want to go, wanted NO part of it, and made it plainly known. Ahhh to be a teenager where your plans are overridden by your parents plans. LOL

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19982 on: March 11, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »
I am so sorry!! You have my sympathy, as I would have kicked and screamed too!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Cuddlepie

« Reply #19983 on: March 11, 2013, 09:44:45 PM »
My youngest was about 12 months old when Achy Breaky was popular and he wanted it played over and over and over and over again.  He loved it ..... then he migrated to following a different music genre.... punk skate ...  >:(.   Apart from his taste in music he is a good kid and does not deserve to be part of the SS thread  :D

diesel_darlin

« Reply #19984 on: March 11, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »

LOL thanks! He was kinda nice to look at, so that made it semi tolerable. A good consolation was getting to see Lynyrd Skynyrd at the same venue a couple years later.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #19985 on: March 12, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »

LOL thanks! He was kinda nice to look at, so that made it semi tolerable. A good consolation was getting to see Lynyrd Skynyrd at the same venue a couple years later.

While he wasn't bad looking, I could never get past the mullet.  Even after the mullet was gone, I still saw it every time I looked at him.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

exitzero

« Reply #19986 on: March 12, 2013, 09:33:57 AM »

I was in Nashville a few days before "Achy Breaky" came out and I saw Billy Ray at local event.  I had no idea who he was, but he was so pretty I took his picture. A week later EVERYONE knew who he was.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #19987 on: March 12, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »
I saw a couple of SSs at my girls' school today.  I hope I acted appropriately.   :-[

Two girls were in line just ahead of us at the gate to go into the school.  I'm a terrible judge of age but this is a K-8 school, so I'm guessing they were probably 7th or 8th graders.  One of them had a fast food breakfast item and was sharing it with her friends.  When they were done, she just dropped the box and then the bag on the ground.  My 7-year old kind of looked at me and I looked at her.  Just then the line started moving and as I walked over the litter, I picked it up.  The girl who dropped it saw me and I just made eye contact with her.  I didn't scowl at her or do anything mean, just let her know that I saw what she did.  She did look a little embarrassed, especially as we walked right past the trash can that is at the entrance to the school.  I hope she thinks before she does that again. 

I can't stand it when people litter, especially when there is a trash can conveniently located.   >:(

Shalamar

« Reply #19988 on: March 12, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »
I saw a couple walking down the street a few weeks ago.  The woman was drinking from a water bottle and accidentally dropped the cap on the ground.  She looked at it, shrugged, said "Eh, I don't want THAT anymore", and was prepared to just keep walking.  Thankfully, her husband picked it up and put it in his pocket.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #19989 on: March 12, 2013, 02:16:19 PM »
Snowflake Agreewithmyrudeness Specialia:

My SO’s mother was recounting the story of one of her first dates with her husband to me. Evidently, they were on a drive through the mountains, and she put one of his 8 track tapes in for music. It turned out to be some sort of heavy metal band ("you know, that rwaaaar rwaaar rwaaaar kind of music… horrible!"), so she took great delight in telling me that she rolled down the window, chucked it out, and "he’s never listened to anything but country western and easy listening since!"

I must admit, I wasn’t very graceful either, because as she stared at me, obviously expecting me to praise her for her great handling of the situation and training of said husband, all I could respond with was "sounds like a waste of a great 8 track" (I happen to love late-70s metal, myself).  That was much kinder than what my brain was screaming ("seriously, why did this man keep dating you, let alone marry you after this and other similar stories!").

WOW!  That's just...I think I'd be staring at her in disbelief myself. DH and I don't see eye to eye on some forms of music (He loves anime but is not a huge fan of musicals.  I'm the opposite) but I wouldn't dream of throwing his cd's out the window!

I'll out myself as an SS about now.

Waaaay back in the dark ages when my husband and I first started dating, there were two things wrong with the musical world.  The Red Nose Song (a fundraiser cassette for the SIDs foundation in NZ) and Billy Ray Cyrus.  (Some gave all...I didn't )  We lived in the back of beyond so most dates involved a great deal of driving.  I should note that they came out roughly within 6 months of each other.

After about 6 weeks of non stop tormenting me with which ever one came out first, let's say Achy Breaky Heart, I grabbed it out of the tape deck, pulled a little of the tape out and threw it out the window. 

A month of two later, the next one was released.  And over played.  And despite the begging and the pleading and finally the warning about what happened last time, it too suffered the same fate.

It's been a running joke for the past few years as to the depth of my distaste for both songs - once he bought home the Billy ray CD from a 2nd hand shop.  I gave it to a friend a few months later when we moved.  And every now and then he'll crank it up on youtube because he knows I won't throw that out the window.  Yet.

So I'm an SS.  And I can live with it.

Okay a quick little threadjack bc I never thought I'd get an opening to tell this hilarious story. I think the Aunt in the story was the SS but you guys be the judge:

As legend goes, somewhere down on the ocean floor there lies a lone Jimmy Buffett CD. Consigning it to a watery grave occurred under very extenuating circumstances. My exBFFs Aunt took her and her cousins on a boat trip. The CD in question was the only thing played. On a loop. For days. Out on the water with no escape. I'm pretty sure government interrogators use a similar technique of musical torture when trying to break spies. The kids were driven to their breaking point, and in desperation threw the offending album overboard and told the Aunt that *shrug* "it got lost." To this day I don't know if she has any idea that they meant "lost at sea" and not "lost somewhere on the boat." ::)
Funny epilogue: Years later my friend changed her stance on Jimmy Buffett but only played him when she was on vacation. As she put it "You can be made to hate any song, good or bad, if you are forced to listen to it a million times!"

/end jack

I really hate the subspecies of Special Snowflake TheWorldIsMyTrashcanum. I see it a lot when I am walking around downtown. My absolute least favorite is the variation TheWorldIsMyDogsToiletis - if looks could kill any Snowflake who I have seen letting their dog poop and not picking it up would be melted into an entitled puddle under my fiery gaze.  >:(
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #19990 on: March 12, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »
Snowflake Agreewithmyrudeness Specialia:

My SO’s mother was recounting the story of one of her first dates with her husband to me. Evidently, they were on a drive through the mountains, and she put one of his 8 track tapes in for music. It turned out to be some sort of heavy metal band ("you know, that rwaaaar rwaaar rwaaaar kind of music… horrible!"), so she took great delight in telling me that she rolled down the window, chucked it out, and "he’s never listened to anything but country western and easy listening since!"

I must admit, I wasn’t very graceful either, because as she stared at me, obviously expecting me to praise her for her great handling of the situation and training of said husband, all I could respond with was "sounds like a waste of a great 8 track" (I happen to love late-70s metal, myself).  That was much kinder than what my brain was screaming ("seriously, why did this man keep dating you, let alone marry you after this and other similar stories!").

WOW!  That's just...I think I'd be staring at her in disbelief myself. DH and I don't see eye to eye on some forms of music (He loves anime but is not a huge fan of musicals.  I'm the opposite) but I wouldn't dream of throwing his cd's out the window!

I'll out myself as an SS about now.

Waaaay back in the dark ages when my husband and I first started dating, there were two things wrong with the musical world.  The Red Nose Song (a fundraiser cassette for the SIDs foundation in NZ) and Billy Ray Cyrus.  (Some gave all...I didn't )  We lived in the back of beyond so most dates involved a great deal of driving.  I should note that they came out roughly within 6 months of each other.

After about 6 weeks of non stop tormenting me with which ever one came out first, let's say Achy Breaky Heart, I grabbed it out of the tape deck, pulled a little of the tape out and threw it out the window. 

A month of two later, the next one was released.  And over played.  And despite the begging and the pleading and finally the warning about what happened last time, it too suffered the same fate.

It's been a running joke for the past few years as to the depth of my distaste for both songs - once he bought home the Billy ray CD from a 2nd hand shop.  I gave it to a friend a few months later when we moved.  And every now and then he'll crank it up on youtube because he knows I won't throw that out the window.  Yet.

So I'm an SS.  And I can live with it.

Okay a quick little threadjack bc I never thought I'd get an opening to tell this hilarious story. I think the Aunt in the story was the SS but you guys be the judge:

As legend goes, somewhere down on the ocean floor there lies a lone Jimmy Buffett CD. Consigning it to a watery grave occurred under very extenuating circumstances. My exBFFs Aunt took her and her cousins on a boat trip. The CD in question was the only thing played. On a loop. For days. Out on the water with no escape. I'm pretty sure government interrogators use a similar technique of musical torture when trying to break spies. The kids were driven to their breaking point, and in desperation threw the offending album overboard and told the Aunt that *shrug* "it got lost." To this day I don't know if she has any idea that they meant "lost at sea" and not "lost somewhere on the boat." ::)
Funny epilogue: Years later my friend changed her stance on Jimmy Buffett but only played him when she was on vacation. As she put it "You can be made to hate any song, good or bad, if you are forced to listen to it a million times!"

/end jack

I wish I'd been old enough to do that when I was ten and my parents and I went on what, in retrospect, was The Roadtrip of "Pancho & Lefty." The song was all over the radio stations (which were mostly country) where we were staying, and by the end, Dad had bought the album for the car--partly from an actual liking for country music and partly, I'm convinced, from Stockholm syndrome.  :P If ever music should have been ejected...
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19991 on: March 12, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
I witnessed a woman throwing her cigarette butt on the ground.  A man politely asked her to throw it in the garbage can.  She let loose her full scary crazy insane fury at the poor man.  Some people (even on Ehell) wonder why a lot of us are afraid of speaking up, and this is why.  You just don't know who might be reasonable or insane.

snowflake

« Reply #19992 on: March 12, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »

I wish I'd been old enough to do that when I was ten and my parents and I went on what, in retrospect, was The Roadtrip of "Pancho & Lefty." The song was all over the radio stations (which were mostly country) where we were staying, and by the end, Dad had bought the album for the car--partly from an actual liking for country music and partly, I'm convinced, from Stockholm syndrome.  :P If ever music should have been ejected...

Sorry for the continued thread jack but...

I burst out laughing at this because my family once went on a road trip.  My little sister brought a tape (this was in the 80s) that included several nursery tunes sung in nasal voices.  She had gotten it from a teacher.  To this day I don't know who recorded the blasted thing.  She wanted to listen to THAT and only THAT no matter how the rest of us complained and begged. 

She is now one of the biggest SS I have met and it's no surprise because my mom would say that she got her way for being youngest.  So we listened to that at least 2-3 times per day on this two-week road trip.  By the end of the trip we could all do a perfect mimic of the whole tape.  Sometimes when we get together we will still start singing "Little Miss Muffett" in an cutsy-annoying voice.  This appalls her to no end - especially if we do this in a semi-public venue like a park.  So I think revenge has been had many times over.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19993 on: March 12, 2013, 02:55:07 PM »
These stories make me so glad that as a young child and teenager I was allowed to listen to books on tape or later cd's in the car rather than being subjected to my parent's choice of music.  Which in all truth wasn't bad back in the 80's, but then in the 90's I became very grateful for my CD's. 

I could only take so much of "All I Wanna Do" before all I wanted to do was pitch the tape/cd out the window.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19994 on: March 12, 2013, 03:13:57 PM »
I really hate the subspecies of Special Snowflake TheWorldIsMyTrashcanum. I see it a lot when I am walking around downtown. My absolute least favorite is the variation TheWorldIsMyDogsToiletis - if looks could kill any Snowflake who I have seen letting their dog poop and not picking it up would be melted into an entitled puddle under my fiery gaze.  >:(
Son-in-law #1 has a hilarious story about witnessing the downfall of a local SS gangbanger who thought that not only was the world his trash can, but that his fecal matter had no odor.   SS tosses an empty paper cup into the air and lets it fall the ground, 10 feet from a trash can, thus attracting the attention of a passing cop in a police cruiser.  Cop tells SS twice to PICK UP THE CUP AND PUT IT IN THE TRASH.  SS ignores cop. PICK UP THE CUP AND PUT IT IN THE TRASH OR YOU WILL BE CHARGED WITH LITTERING.  SS then gives cop the finger.  Cop barrels out of the cruiser, wrestles cuffs on SS, stuffs him into the cruiser, and away they go.  And undoubtedly he was charged with a whole list of things other than plain littering.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~