Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5083937 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19995 on: March 12, 2013, 02:55:07 PM »
These stories make me so glad that as a young child and teenager I was allowed to listen to books on tape or later cd's in the car rather than being subjected to my parent's choice of music.  Which in all truth wasn't bad back in the 80's, but then in the 90's I became very grateful for my CD's. 

I could only take so much of "All I Wanna Do" before all I wanted to do was pitch the tape/cd out the window.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19996 on: March 12, 2013, 03:13:57 PM »
I really hate the subspecies of Special Snowflake TheWorldIsMyTrashcanum. I see it a lot when I am walking around downtown. My absolute least favorite is the variation TheWorldIsMyDogsToiletis - if looks could kill any Snowflake who I have seen letting their dog poop and not picking it up would be melted into an entitled puddle under my fiery gaze.  >:(
Son-in-law #1 has a hilarious story about witnessing the downfall of a local SS gangbanger who thought that not only was the world his trash can, but that his fecal matter had no odor.   SS tosses an empty paper cup into the air and lets it fall the ground, 10 feet from a trash can, thus attracting the attention of a passing cop in a police cruiser.  Cop tells SS twice to PICK UP THE CUP AND PUT IT IN THE TRASH.  SS ignores cop. PICK UP THE CUP AND PUT IT IN THE TRASH OR YOU WILL BE CHARGED WITH LITTERING.  SS then gives cop the finger.  Cop barrels out of the cruiser, wrestles cuffs on SS, stuffs him into the cruiser, and away they go.  And undoubtedly he was charged with a whole list of things other than plain littering.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #19997 on: March 12, 2013, 03:25:55 PM »
Snowflake Agreewithmyrudeness Specialia:

My SO’s mother was recounting the story of one of her first dates with her husband to me. Evidently, they were on a drive through the mountains, and she put one of his 8 track tapes in for music. It turned out to be some sort of heavy metal band ("you know, that rwaaaar rwaaar rwaaaar kind of music… horrible!"), so she took great delight in telling me that she rolled down the window, chucked it out, and "he’s never listened to anything but country western and easy listening since!"

I must admit, I wasn’t very graceful either, because as she stared at me, obviously expecting me to praise her for her great handling of the situation and training of said husband, all I could respond with was "sounds like a waste of a great 8 track" (I happen to love late-70s metal, myself).  That was much kinder than what my brain was screaming ("seriously, why did this man keep dating you, let alone marry you after this and other similar stories!").

WOW!  That's just...I think I'd be staring at her in disbelief myself. DH and I don't see eye to eye on some forms of music (He loves anime but is not a huge fan of musicals.  I'm the opposite) but I wouldn't dream of throwing his cd's out the window!

I'll out myself as an SS about now.

Waaaay back in the dark ages when my husband and I first started dating, there were two things wrong with the musical world.  The Red Nose Song (a fundraiser cassette for the SIDs foundation in NZ) and Billy Ray Cyrus.  (Some gave all...I didn't )  We lived in the back of beyond so most dates involved a great deal of driving.  I should note that they came out roughly within 6 months of each other.

After about 6 weeks of non stop tormenting me with which ever one came out first, let's say Achy Breaky Heart, I grabbed it out of the tape deck, pulled a little of the tape out and threw it out the window. 

A month of two later, the next one was released.  And over played.  And despite the begging and the pleading and finally the warning about what happened last time, it too suffered the same fate.

It's been a running joke for the past few years as to the depth of my distaste for both songs - once he bought home the Billy ray CD from a 2nd hand shop.  I gave it to a friend a few months later when we moved.  And every now and then he'll crank it up on youtube because he knows I won't throw that out the window.  Yet.

So I'm an SS.  And I can live with it.

Okay a quick little threadjack bc I never thought I'd get an opening to tell this hilarious story. I think the Aunt in the story was the SS but you guys be the judge:

As legend goes, somewhere down on the ocean floor there lies a lone Jimmy Buffett CD. Consigning it to a watery grave occurred under very extenuating circumstances. My exBFFs Aunt took her and her cousins on a boat trip. The CD in question was the only thing played. On a loop. For days. Out on the water with no escape. I'm pretty sure government interrogators use a similar technique of musical torture when trying to break spies. The kids were driven to their breaking point, and in desperation threw the offending album overboard and told the Aunt that *shrug* "it got lost." To this day I don't know if she has any idea that they meant "lost at sea" and not "lost somewhere on the boat." ::)
Funny epilogue: Years later my friend changed her stance on Jimmy Buffett but only played him when she was on vacation. As she put it "You can be made to hate any song, good or bad, if you are forced to listen to it a million times!"

/end jack

I really hate the subspecies of Special Snowflake TheWorldIsMyTrashcanum. I see it a lot when I am walking around downtown. My absolute least favorite is the variation TheWorldIsMyDogsToiletis - if looks could kill any Snowflake who I have seen letting their dog poop and not picking it up would be melted into an entitled puddle under my fiery gaze.  >:(

At least it wasn't Kennnnnny Looooogggggins!

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/12/year-kenny-loggins-ruined-christmas.html
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #19998 on: March 12, 2013, 04:59:13 PM »
I witnessed a woman throwing her cigarette butt on the ground.  A man politely asked her to throw it in the garbage can.  She let loose her full scary crazy insane fury at the poor man.  Some people (even on Ehell) wonder why a lot of us are afraid of speaking up, and this is why.  You just don't know who might be reasonable or insane.

I made that mistake personally while on the train platform many years ago.  A woman was eating potato chips and just tossed the bag on the ground as she walked right past a trash can. My poor pea brain couldn't comprehend that someone would do that deliberately, so I ever so helpfully pointed out that she'd dropped her bag.  And very nearly had my face rearranged.  I don't do that anymore.  I was a little hesitant to make eye contact today but I figure get 'em while they're young.

Also, 5 days to Texas.  5 days back.  One week in between.  And John Denver's Greatest Hits stuck in the tape player the WHOLE TIME.

Shalamar

« Reply #19999 on: March 12, 2013, 05:56:04 PM »
I was once stuck in a car dealership for three hours while they worked on my car, and there was only one CD for them to play over the building's speakers, and it was Celine Dion, and the sound system was wonky so that there was static.  So it wasn't even nice, clear Celine Dion - it was "pssshkt!  My heaaarrrtt willllll gooo PSSSHKT!"

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #20000 on: March 12, 2013, 08:11:24 PM »
My parents listened to Talk Radio. I think that I was lucky because that was easier to tune out. It took the longest time for me to get Mom and Dad to understand that audio books weren't a cop out. I was allowed to listen to them on trips though - because reading in a moving car was not an option.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mmswm

« Reply #20001 on: March 12, 2013, 08:17:04 PM »
My parents listened to Talk Radio. I think that I was lucky because that was easier to tune out. It took the longest time for me to get Mom and Dad to understand that audio books weren't a cop out. I was allowed to listen to them on trips though - because reading in a moving car was not an option.

After reading all these stories I was thinking the same thing about talk radio and classical music.  Classical music pieces tend to be long, so it's hard to get really burned out on most of it (with major exceptions for "The Nutcracker", the opera "Hansel and Gretel", and "Bolero"...if I never have to hear any of those again it will be too soon, but my burn out on those doesn't come from car rides).
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

snowfire

« Reply #20002 on: March 12, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »
Son-in-law #1 has a hilarious story about witnessing the downfall of a local SS gangbanger who thought that not only was the world his trash can, but that his fecal matter had no odor.   SS tosses an empty paper cup into the air and lets it fall the ground, 10 feet from a trash can, thus attracting the attention of a passing cop in a police cruiser.  Cop tells SS twice to PICK UP THE CUP AND PUT IT IN THE TRASH.  SS ignores cop. PICK UP THE CUP AND PUT IT IN THE TRASH OR YOU WILL BE CHARGED WITH LITTERING.  SS then gives cop the finger.  Cop barrels out of the cruiser, wrestles cuffs on SS, stuffs him into the cruiser, and away they go.  And undoubtedly he was charged with a whole list of things other than plain littering.
Bwaahhhaaaahaaaaa. >:D  Messing with the karma fairy can be painful!  I'll bet when they ran his prints they had a whole long list of charges so slap him with. "Felony Stupid in Public" for starters.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #20003 on: March 12, 2013, 09:01:43 PM »
Paraphrasing Stephen Wright:
One time my friend George & I went on a 5 day cross-country trip with only one tape to listen to.  I forget what it was.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20004 on: March 12, 2013, 09:05:10 PM »
I think I've told this story here before:  my brother used to have the authority to write littering tickets under environmental legislation.  He was paddling one night at the local rapid and there was a man with his young son, fishing.  They left a pop can behind.  They were still in the parking lot when my brother was coming in.  He identified himself and asked the man to go back and get the can.  His son was all for it but couldn't go on his own.  The man refused.  So my brother wrote him a ticket, based on his driver's license.

When he spoke to his boss, boss was all for going ahead with the ticket.  Turns out, the man had moved about 6 months before and had neglected to update his driver's license with his new address.  So for refusing to go back and pick up a pop can, he ended up with several hundred dollars in fines, on top of the littering fine.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Library Dragon

« Reply #20005 on: March 12, 2013, 09:49:55 PM »
I only got to enjoy this as an eye witness, but it's a favorite story. 

In grad school I was outside chatting with one of my education profs.  As at many campuses the traffic creeps along.  The prof recognized one of his undergrad students and tried to wave, but she didn't see him.  She the lowers her window and non-challantly drops a large fast food bag out the window.  The window goes up.  The car pulls up a few feet.

The prof goes and picks up the bag, walks over to the car, and knocks on the window.  The window comes down. "Hi SS you accidentally dropped this." He hands her the bag and walks back to me. 

He was simultaneously angry and delighted pondering if she would say anything the next day in class.  As far as I know she never did.  He did share that she once asked him if the Revolutionary War was before or after WW2.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

NyaChan

« Reply #20006 on: March 12, 2013, 10:24:29 PM »

In grad school I was outside chatting with one of my education profs.  As at many campuses the traffic creeps along.  The prof recognized one of his undergrad students and tried to wave, but she didn't see him.  She the lowers her window and non-challantly drops a large fast food bag out the window.  The window goes up.  The car pulls up a few feet.

The prof goes and picks up the bag, walks over to the car, and knocks on the window.  The window comes down. "Hi SS you accidentally dropped this." He hands her the bag and walks back to me. 

He was simultaneously angry and delighted pondering if she would say anything the next day in class.  As far as I know she never did.  He did share that she once asked him if the Revolutionary War was before or after WW2.

It hurts.  It actually hurts!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20007 on: March 12, 2013, 11:05:10 PM »

It hurts.  It actually hurts!
That's the kind of stupid you get when everything before one's own birthdate is all lumped together as "The Olden Days" or "A Long, Long Time Ago." 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Library Dragon

« Reply #20008 on: March 13, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »
I was frightened that she was an education major.   :-\

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

eltf177

« Reply #20009 on: March 13, 2013, 06:46:49 AM »
You _had_ to bring up long trips with one tape. Imagine this:

California to Virginia, Summer 1976. Hot, car's A/C doesn't work well and thus isn't used. Four people and lots of stuff crammed into a fairly small space. 8 Track with 2 tapes: a homemade tape of The Four Aces and Tony Orlando and Dawn's Greatest Hits. Mom hates the first and loves the second, so coast-to-coast nothing but TIE A YELLOW RIBBON and other songs.

To this day, if I hear Tony Orlando and Dawn I get motion sick even sitting still...