Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4404958 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20010 on: March 13, 2013, 07:38:25 AM »
I once took a road trip with a friend, from New York State to Georgia.   With the Statler Brothers in the tape player the whole way there, and back. 

I used to like the Statler Brothers.  *sigh* 

o_gal

« Reply #20011 on: March 13, 2013, 08:08:43 AM »
He did share that she once asked him if the Revolutionary War was before or after WW2.

It hurts.  It actually hurts!
That's the kind of stupid you get when everything before one's own birthdate is all lumped together as "The Olden Days" or "A Long, Long Time Ago."

No, stupid would be if she didn't ask, and just went on assuming that maybe it was after WW2. She asked because she didn't know, and now she does. It is kind of brain hurty she got through elementary/middle/high school without knowing something that she really should have learned. But if we're going to call adults "stupid" for asking questions that we assume that they should already know, then it's going to make it tough for anyone to want to ask questions for fear of being labelled "stupid". </soapbox>

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #20012 on: March 13, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »
He did share that she once asked him if the Revolutionary War was before or after WW2.

That's the kind of stupid you get when everything before one's own birthdate is all lumped together as "The Olden Days" or "A Long, Long Time Ago."

No, stupid would be if she didn't ask, and just went on assuming that maybe it was after WW2. She asked because she didn't know, and now she does. It is kind of brain hurty she got through elementary/middle/high school without knowing something that she really should have learned. But if we're going to call adults "stupid" for asking questions that we assume that they should already know, then it's going to make it tough for anyone to want to ask questions for fear of being labelled "stupid". </soapbox>

*Applause*

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20013 on: March 13, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »
The people who live one street over from us have a boxer. They do not have a fenced yard and will usually walk the dog when he has to go. Except sometimes they don't feel like walking him, and will just open their back door and let him run loose in the subdivision. The dog isn't aggressive, but he barks loudly at everything (and sometimes at nothing at all) and will go into people's yards to do his business or to bother their dogs.

Well, they let him out at 1:00 A.M. last night, and at 3:00 A.M. he was still outside, running loose, standing in driveways and barking his head off. He woke up just about everyone on our street, including me. A few people tried to catch him to take him back home, but no one could grab him. Our next door neighbor called the police, who hopefully had a word with the owners. Fingers crossed that this puts an end to them just letting the dog run loose when they don't want to walk him. If not, I'm going to have to start calling animal control every time the dog is out, because it's unfair to everyone else in the subdivision.

Margo

« Reply #20014 on: March 13, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »
No to mention being unfair to the dog, which may get injured or lost.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20015 on: March 13, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »
No to mention being unfair to the dog, which may get injured or lost.

Yeah. Our subdivision is also in a fairly rural, small-town type area surrounded by farmers. The mindset of a lot of people is that a nuisance dog is a dog who needs to disappear before it hurts someone's livestock, and since animal control is one guy in a pickup truck who doesn't respond half the time you call, people often take matters into their own hands. I'd never let a dog run free out here (not that I'd let a dog run free anywhere but my own yard) for fear that someone would shoot it or poison it.

It even used to be that if you called the police about a problem dog, their answer was "if it comes into your yard, just shoot it", but they've at least started responding to complaints by coming out and having a word with the home owners instead of advising people to shoot the dog.

norrina

« Reply #20016 on: March 13, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »

Thank you o_gal. I struggle with history/dates, and always have. My first day of classes in undergrad, upon arrival to my general studies world history class I found the blackboard covered with various historical figures and occurrences. When class began, the professor announced that he would be going around the room, and when it was your turn you were to choose a person or event that had not yet been chosen, and share with the class what you knew about it. I was sitting at the opposite end of the room from where he began, and as each person before me chose yet another "easy" topic, I became progressively more and more anxious, knowing that my ignorance was going to be exposed.

In high school, I became exceedingly interested in the holocaust and researched it heavily. I couldn't tell you *when* it actually occurred though. In college I wrote a compare/contrast paper on the Israeli Palestinian Conflict and apartheid, but I couldn't say the relevant dates for these events either. In law school I had to take my school's required class on the context of how the constitution was framed twice, after which I can at least almost identify the important years in our country's governmental framework.

I graduated from fairly highly regarded schools, and passed my state's bar exam on the first try, I consider myself at least reasonably intelligent, but nothing makes me feel really stupid faster than having any sort of historical date discussion come up in my presence.

mmswm

« Reply #20017 on: March 13, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »

Thank you o_gal. I struggle with history/dates, and always have. My first day of classes in undergrad, upon arrival to my general studies world history class I found the blackboard covered with various historical figures and occurrences. When class began, the professor announced that he would be going around the room, and when it was your turn you were to choose a person or event that had not yet been chosen, and share with the class what you knew about it. I was sitting at the opposite end of the room from where he began, and as each person before me chose yet another "easy" topic, I became progressively more and more anxious, knowing that my ignorance was going to be exposed.

In high school, I became exceedingly interested in the holocaust and researched it heavily. I couldn't tell you *when* it actually occurred though. In college I wrote a compare/contrast paper on the Israeli Palestinian Conflict and apartheid, but I couldn't say the relevant dates for these events either. In law school I had to take my school's required class on the context of how the constitution was framed twice, after which I can at least almost identify the important years in our country's governmental framework.

I graduated from fairly highly regarded schools, and passed my state's bar exam on the first try, I consider myself at least reasonably intelligent, but nothing makes me feel really stupid faster than having any sort of historical date discussion come up in my presence.

Don't feel bad.  I have a BS in math with minors in biology, chemistry and English literature.  My MS is in Math/Statistics.  I maintained a 4.0GPA throughout all of that.  I'm not stupid.  But, for some reason, when it comes to history, I consider myself lucky if I can get within the correct half century for anything prior to the 1900's and within the right decade for anything after.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #20018 on: March 13, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »
I don't know whether this is more snowflakey or brain hurty or what, but today I brought in treats to work. I left them in the break room with a sign saying what they were and for people to help themselves. A coworker who I'm somewhat friendly with walked by and asked if I'd brought the treats. I said yes. She said, "That was nice of you. But some people hate you for doing it." And then she walked away. Was that really necessary?

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #20019 on: March 13, 2013, 02:17:06 PM »
I don't know whether this is more snowflakey or brain hurty or what, but today I brought in treats to work. I left them in the break room with a sign saying what they were and for people to help themselves. A coworker who I'm somewhat friendly with walked by and asked if I'd brought the treats. I said yes. She said, "That was nice of you. But some people hate you for doing it." And then she walked away. Was that really necessary?

:o I can't figure out why they would hate you for doing it.  I've been in a position where I was trying to cut calories, and was a bit disappointed because I couldn't have one of the cupcakes someone had brought in (well, I could have, but would have considered it a setback), but hate or even dislike didn't enter into it at all.  Maybe she was kidding around, and it just came out awkwardly?

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20020 on: March 13, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »

:o I can't figure out why they would hate you for doing it.  I've been in a position where I was trying to cut calories, and was a bit disappointed because I couldn't have one of the cupcakes someone had brought in (well, I could have, but would have considered it a setback), but hate or even dislike didn't enter into it at all.  Maybe she was kidding around, and it just came out awkwardly?

To me it is obvious she was making a joke!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #20021 on: March 13, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »

Well, trying to, at any rate.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #20022 on: March 13, 2013, 02:28:40 PM »

Well, trying to, at any rate.

I thought she probably was, but it would have brought me up short, too.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #20023 on: March 13, 2013, 02:30:43 PM »
Yeah, it came out kind of awkwardly and she did walk away rather fast so I'm guessing she knew it sounded off too. But it still had me thinking about it for a while afterwards!

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #20024 on: March 13, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »
I'm not fond of that kind of joking.  I used to bake a lot, and bring things to the office.  Most of my coworkers were nice about it, but I had one coworker who told me she hated me every time I brought something in (usually she'd say it while she was grabbing a treat, but sometimes she'd email or call me to let me know).

Even though she was joking,  I got tired of hearing it.  It's not really clever or cute to tell someone you hate them, or that others do.