Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5648520 times)

Maggie

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20145 on: March 24, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
The turkey stories reminds me of when I saw a goose crossing a busy highway with a gaggle of babies behind her.    They weren't moving quickly, of course, so a driver honked at her.   Mama Goose stopped dead, glared at him, and honked right back.

That made my day!  SS should not have been honking at Mother Goose! 

Jones

« Reply #20146 on: March 24, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
When my MIL was in college she had a range plants class. There were many field trips in which the students would pile into a large van (15 passenger) and drive out into the middle of nowhere to gather, study or just identify plants from the fields where range animals eat. Sounds incredibly exciting, I know....

So, on one occasion, there was a huge bull standing in the road. The van couldn't get around said animal. The driver let out a brief Beep. The bull stood there. Longer honk. Nothing. Someone in the van calls out "Bump it!" The driver slowly moves forward and pushes on the animal with his front bumper.

The bull backed up, put his head down and BANGED into the front of the van. The driver tried to back out of the way before the bull could do it again, but the engine fell out. With a huff, the animal lumbered away, proud head in the air.

Never, ever hurry a one-ton creature with an attitude.

mmswm

« Reply #20147 on: March 24, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »

Never, ever hurry a one-ton creature with an attitude.

Coffee meet screen.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #20148 on: March 24, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »
When I lived in the country, I carried a super-soaker in my car to clear sheep and cows out of the road.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #20149 on: March 24, 2013, 02:06:17 PM »
The turkey stories reminds me of when I saw a goose crossing a busy highway with a gaggle of babies behind her.    They weren't moving quickly, of course, so a driver honked at her.   Mama Goose stopped dead, glared at him, and honked right back.

That is funny.

MissRose

« Reply #20150 on: March 24, 2013, 04:13:24 PM »

Good one Mama Goose!!!!

mmswm

« Reply #20151 on: March 24, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »
I live just off a road that's a popular alternative to the freeways in the extreme southern portion of my county. It's not a limited access road and actually cuts through quite a bit of farm/agribusiness land.  A lot of the farmers run "U-pick" fields.  I pass a particularly popular one on my way into town.  It should also be noted that it's a Sunday afternoon in the middle of Spring Break season, so the traffic going both in and out of the Keys is quite heavy.

So, I'm driving down this road and SS I'lljustmaketrafficstopforme backs into the road, blocking both the northbound and southbound lanes, causing me, the cars behind me and the cars coming in the opposite direction slam on our brakes in order to avoid hitting him or the people farther up in the traffic line who are also slamming on their brakes. Thankfully nobody hit anybody else, but this is one of the reasons why there are some horrific multi-car, multi-fatality accidents on this road on a fairly regular basis.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Library Dragon

« Reply #20152 on: March 24, 2013, 06:06:53 PM »
I'm going to vent, then let it go.  I didn't expect to run into a SS in communion line today.

BG:  We have a large parish, about 3,000 families with 5 Masses on a weekend.  They are always full.  We have a large vestibule with pews and chairs where spill over sits.  Some Sundays there will be 100 people sitting or standing in that area.  When my claustrophobia is kicking in I will often sit in the vestibule.

There are 4 lines for receiving communuin, 2 in the center, 1 on the far left aisle and 1 on the far right aisle.  When we line up for communion the people in the vestibule go to one of these far aisles.

/BG

Today was crowded of course being Passion (Palm) Sunday.  When it was time to line up I was the first person from the vestibule on my side.  The pews on that side, inside the church were still lining up.  I stood a few feet behind the usher so that when he stepped back he I wouldn't be in his way.  There are people starting to line up behind me. 

An older man comes around the line and steps in front of me. Uh, okay.  Strange.  We tend to be an orderly bunch, even in the parking lot.  He then taps the usher and tells him he needs to move.  The usher explains that the last pew hasn't lined up yet.  The man responds, "I'm going around you then." He steps around the usher and heads to the aisle.  By this time the last pew has lined up and the man has saved 0 seconds. 

I follow him up the aisle. He receives the bread and passes by the communion cup, just as I'm stepping up to receive the cup the man turns around, comes back to the cup and drinks all the wine and rushes down the aisle.  I'm thinking, 'Wow he must have someplace to get to.' No, he's there in the vestibule in one of the pews, hangs about after Mass in no hurry.

If it had been one of these things I wouldn't have thought much about it, but all together it's strikes me as SS.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

snowdragon

« Reply #20153 on: March 24, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »
I was stunned at the drinking all the wine bit, but the rest of it seems pretty normal for a Sunday at most churches I've been to.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #20154 on: March 24, 2013, 06:17:57 PM »
I was stunned at the drinking all the wine bit, but the rest of it seems pretty normal for a Sunday at most churches I've been to.

At my church, line - jumping would be considered the height of rudeness, as would be stepping around a usher who's telling you to wait. Why rush through the experience of receiving Holy Communion to no apparent purpose?

I vote massive SS on the person Library Dragon encountered.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #20155 on: March 24, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »
The parking stories reminded me of a SS a couple years ago. Our mall has a rather smallish parking lot, considering it's the only mall in a 90=mile range. During the holidays there are "satellite" lots that people can park in and ride a bus to get to the mall. Pre-Christmas shopping is always a nightmare because parking is such a premium.

Nobody told the SS with an extended cab truck attached to a full-sized camper, who took up more than 10 spots for over 24 hours.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20156 on: March 24, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
...    just as I'm stepping up to receive the cup the man turns around, comes back to the cup and drinks all the wine ...

Hmmm.   Maybe he only came to mass for the wine!  And he wanted to be sure he got it ALL.

Library Dragon

« Reply #20157 on: March 24, 2013, 07:52:01 PM »
...    just as I'm stepping up to receive the cup the man turns around, comes back to the cup and drinks all the wine ...

Hmmm.   Maybe he only came to mass for the wine!  And he wanted to be sure he got it ALL.

Oh, then I would really question his taste!  Too sweet.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20158 on: March 24, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »

Oh, then I would really question his taste!  Too sweet.

True.  But desperate people aren't known for being picky. 

diesel_darlin

« Reply #20159 on: March 24, 2013, 08:10:35 PM »
That man would be sorely disappointed if he did communion at my church. We use grape juice.  ;D