Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5296306 times)

Margo

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20340 on: April 04, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »
I had another driving special snowflake this morning, Mr MLackOfDrivingSkillsIsYourFault.

On my route to work is a mini-roundabout. As you approach the roundabout the road splits into 2 lanes, both VERY clearly marked (road signs plus arrows on the tarmac) The left lane is for turning left ONLY (I'm in the UK, so equivalent to a right turn for you USians) The right lane is for right turns and going straight on.

Approching the roundabout I was in the right lane to go straight on. Mr SS decided to come yup the left lane and then to turn right. He didn't bother to indicate. I sounded my horn to alert him to the fact that I was there and he was about to drive into the side of my car  (given that he was about to turn into me, and I had nowhere to go to get out of his way, that fact that it was my right of way and he was in the wrong lane and cutting me up was the least of my worries)

Cue lots of rude gestures and (I surmise, my windows were closed) shouting! Presumably I should have levitated my car to get out of his way. Or maybe I should have magically divined that he was planning to pull across, and should have waited til he had done it...!

What makes it worse is that the left turn is into a car park, so it would have been really easy to turn in the car park. Or if he had stopped and indicated right someone would probably have let him in.

BusyBee

« Reply #20341 on: April 04, 2013, 03:57:41 PM »
Once during a job I got quite addicted to Marie Callender's chicken pot pies and the small ones would still take about 5 minutes to cook so I'd go in early so I wouldn't be taking up the microwave for 5 minutes while people were waiting around but then the smell would permeate the office.  No one complained but I always heard "What is that delicious smell?" Every single day, and it was the same smell, and comment was coming from the same woman.   I told her every time "Chicken pot pie"

Once she asked and didn't even stick around to hear the answer. I couldn't help myself and started singing softly to myself "It's priest...try a little priest..."

*snort*

Me too.  I was thisclose to wanting some chicken pot pie, and now I'm not so hungry anymore.   

AngelicGamer

« Reply #20342 on: April 04, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Is it sad that I'm happy to post in this thread after nearly getting hit by two separate drivers in the same crosswalk?

I'm in Schaumburg (suburb of Chicago) atm and I decided to walk to the Whole Foods because things were needed.  So I go up to the crosswalk and wait for the light to change so I can cross.

Special note #1: For this crosswalk, the main street (I was crossing where the main street hits the side street) has a left arrow turn lane.  Therefore, when the light is red, you cannot turn.  Therefore, I'll glance to make sure that people are remembering about that and not about to barrel through me.

Special note #2: I'm legally blind and therefore, use a red tipped cane.  I use the cross tap method, so it goes right foot forward, tap left side, swing in arc, left food forward, tap right side.  Also known as the default method for using a cane (said my O&M instructor in high school).

So, light changes and I start crossing.  The main street cars close to me had all passed, so red car snowflake decides he can turn.  Against the light while I'm in the crosswalk.  Good thing for me is that red car snowflake had working breaks.  So I get out of his way as quickly as possible.

In crossing the second half of the crosswalk, a white car decides they need to speed up and get to their right turn.  Again, I'm grateful for breaks that work and that was right at where I was able to get out of the crosswalk.

The rest of the way was uneventful and I'm celebrating my not dying with a Death by Chocolate cupcake.  I thought it was appropriate.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

mmswm

« Reply #20343 on: April 04, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »

The rest of the way was uneventful and I'm celebrating my not dying with a Death by Chocolate cupcake.  I thought it was appropriate.

I hope it's decorated with little snowflakes.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20344 on: April 04, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »
I get honked at all the time, because I wait for people in the crosswalk to cross during their signal. I am so glad you are ok.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #20345 on: April 04, 2013, 08:35:55 PM »

Nope, white chocolate shavings.  Still awesome.  :)

I get honked at all the time, because I wait for people in the crosswalk to cross during their signal. I am so glad you are ok.

I really like drivers like you and say/mouth thank you when they wait.  It makes my day a bit better, especially when it's a busy intersection like the one I crossed today.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20346 on: April 04, 2013, 08:37:50 PM »
I really hate people who creep around the corner when I am crossing at the lights, it creeps me out so I purposely walk at a not too fast not too slow pace.

And there are those who dash around the corner in front of you, sometimes right in front of you!

AngelicGamer

« Reply #20347 on: April 04, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
I really hate people who creep around the corner when I am crossing at the lights, it creeps me out so I purposely walk at a not too fast not too slow pace.

And there are those who dash around the corner in front of you, sometimes right in front of you!

I nearly lost my cane to one of those drivers.  Considering the speed and the fact that the loop at the top of the cane was on my wrist, I could have been seriously hurt if I had not felt that I should pull back at the last minute.

I should note that this was also in a suburb.  Whenever I'm in Chicago, drivers are very nice to pedestrians and I never have to worry about being run over.  It might be that we're in a big pack and there's more of us to them?  I dunno.  :D

Miss Tickle

« Reply #20348 on: April 04, 2013, 09:02:20 PM »
I nominate Carnival Cruise's CEO Micky Arison. He was asked by Sen. Jay Rockefeller is the company intended to reimburse the Navy and Coast Guard the US $4.2 million expended during rescue operations on various cruises, notably the Triumph "Poop" Cruise and the Splendor incident.

He cited the "Maritime Tradition" of rescuing a stranded vessel as his reason for declining to pay any of the costs for the rescue.

Except it seems he forgets the crew of the Star Princess declined to stop for a similar "vessel in distress" situation and not only did the passengers on the cruiseship notify the crew, the crew acknowledged they saw the fishing boat, but didn't stop. There are even photos of the three crewmen waving.

I think you know where this is going: Two men died. The other is suing, of course.

So, lucky for him, it's just a "tradition" and not a "rule".

I will never set foot on one of his ships.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #20349 on: April 04, 2013, 09:13:44 PM »
Me either.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20350 on: April 04, 2013, 10:11:35 PM »
I will not either. I have been distinctly unimpressed by Carnival since cruising a competitor's ship and witnessing the behavior of their staff at the port. Never in a million years would I give that company a dime.

NyaChan

« Reply #20351 on: April 04, 2013, 10:31:15 PM »
What did the staff do?  I've cruised with Carnival and was far less impressed than with other lines, but their staff didn't really stand out to me.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20352 on: April 04, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »
They were less than courteous or respectful to their own passengers (we had friends on that ship). Also, our line for boarding the ship was handled by 6-8 crew members, facilitating quick boarding. The Carnival staff weren't focused on the guests, a lot of bad attitudes.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #20353 on: April 04, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »

Nope, white chocolate shavings.  Still awesome.  :)

Those look like snowflakes!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

snowdragon

« Reply #20354 on: April 07, 2013, 08:45:42 PM »
I am nominating one of my professors. 

She has us writing our paper piecemeal.  Write the Introduction: get it aproved. Write the transition sentences that are to go between paragraphs: get those approved. Write the conclusion: get it approved, then go on write the rest of the papers.

I struggled with this format.  I made the teacher aware ( at her suggestion that we let her know what issues we are having - in each and every piece of correspondence we get from her. ) that I was struggling with this in January.  Easter Sunday she wrote me a note and said I could have written it as a whole had I wanted to- after the bits and pieces were all done.

The assignment due today was to post about our challenges in writing the bits and pieces and I stated what I had told her, that I found it difficult to do it this way but that I had gotten through it with help from the teacher I got through it, but that I had no suggestions for others, other than to go to the teacher if they needed help working around this project. I put up my post late last night.

So, today I get an email about how she expects more professionalism and how she could not believe that I was still stating that writing in this manner was my greatest challenge in this assignment, especially since I had gotten full credit ( 25/25) for the assignment.

She then went on to shut down the student interaction forums and bar students from communicating with each other about the assignments. 

OK, so you ask students what they find challenging and then have a temper tantrum when they answer honestly.   Really?  And then the student is unprofessional?   

I am so not understanding the "logic" here.  But I am calling SS here.