Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4416353 times)

dawbs

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20370 on: April 08, 2013, 10:45:27 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'm American and haven't heard that term.  Honestly, it seems dismissive to call a group of people something they don't call themselves.
I've heard and seen plenty of people from the US use the term--I have.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20371 on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'm American and haven't heard that term.  Honestly, it seems dismissive to call a group of people something they don't call themselves.

That surprises me.  I have never ever heard it (or even seen it written) until today.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20372 on: April 08, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »

Then you're literally the first I'm aware of.  Seriously.  And how do you even say it?  "ooh-sians"?  "Ewe-Ess-ians"?  "Uhs-ians"?  Or is it one of those things that only appears in text?  And why do I never see "UKians"?  Or "SAians" for South Africans?  Given that, after all, there's more than just South Africa in south Africa.

It just boggles, is all.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20373 on: April 08, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »

Yeah thats a new one for me.  It hasn't hit widespread usage here in the DC metro area.
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #20374 on: April 08, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »

Then you're literally the first I'm aware of.  Seriously.  And how do you even say it?  "ooh-sians"?  "Ewe-Ess-ians"?  "Uhs-ians"?  Or is it one of those things that only appears in text?  And why do I never see "UKians"?  Or "SAians" for South Africans?  Given that, after all, there's more than just South Africa in south Africa.

It just boggles, is all.

I've seen both SAians and UKians before (granted, only seen the latter once or twice), on Twitter, mainly and usually in relationship to either rugby or cricket.

I don't think I've ever come across anyone actually saying any of them, though - my experience is that all three are shorthands for textual mediums where you may have some sort of character limit.

dawbs

« Reply #20375 on: April 08, 2013, 10:59:57 AM »

It just boggles, is all.

U.S.-ians.

Not that hard or boggling.
I'm boggled that it's boggling.

May not have widespread usage, but it's hardly obscure.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #20376 on: April 08, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »
It's said U S (AS IN US OF A) ian. in the UK I have heard it and it's always said with affection. The reason we don't do UKian is we have a short version of our nationality already. Brit.

I use it with my step mother in law (from the USA) and she has never shown an indication it's inappropriate but then again it's obvious from context it's an affectionate term.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #20377 on: April 08, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »

It just boggles, is all.

U.S.-ians.

Not that hard or boggling.

May not have widespread usage, but it's hardly obscure.

This is the only place I've ever seen it... and another poster said this is the first *time* they've seen it.  That counts as obscure to me.  And I've literally never heard it spoken before.  *That* would have stuck out in my mind for sure.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #20378 on: April 08, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »
This isn't the first time it has come up - we had a discussion about the term "USian" in the Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange ("Different Meanings for Words") in October 2011.

amylouky

« Reply #20379 on: April 08, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »

USian here :). I've seen and heard and used it. I'm really not sure why it is being seen as dismissive or offensive in any way?

Miss Tickle

« Reply #20380 on: April 08, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »
I nominate Carnival Cruise's CEO Micky Arison. He was asked by Sen. Jay Rockefeller is the company intended to reimburse the Navy and Coast Guard the US $4.2 million expended during rescue operations on various cruises, notably the Triumph "Poop" Cruise and the Splendor incident.

He cited the "Maritime Tradition" of rescuing a stranded vessel as his reason for declining to pay any of the costs for the rescue.

Except it seems he forgets the crew of the Star Princess declined to stop for a similar "vessel in distress" situation and not only did the passengers on the cruiseship notify the crew, the crew acknowledged they saw the fishing boat, but didn't stop. There are even photos of the three crewmen waving.

I think you know where this is going: Two men died. The other is suing, of course.

So, lucky for him, it's just a "tradition" and not a "rule".

I will never set foot on one of his ships.
It is not just a tradition, it is actualy a rule. It is simple maritime law that you hvae to respond if you receive any kind of distress call.

But that's the point.  His ship didn't respond to a distress singal and people died. Now he wants to get out of paying for his rescues. I don't actually see a problem with the US Navy and Coast Guard asking for compensation from a huge corporation when they don't fly US flags.

MerryCat

« Reply #20381 on: April 08, 2013, 11:21:35 AM »

USian here :). I've seen and heard and used it. I'm really not sure why it is being seen as dismissive or offensive in any way?

I've seen USian online, by Americans as well as others. Haven't every heard it spoken, so I always assumed that it was more of a written shorthand though.

I'm not sure that it's really dismissive though. I mean the English names for many countries are often not the names the countries actually use to refer to themselves in their own languages. India and Japan are two examples that come to mind. But I don't think anyone has ever taken offence to an English speaker using the English names of those countries.

Hillia

« Reply #20382 on: April 08, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »

POD
Yeah, I might not have heard (or read) it  before, but it's pretty straightforward and doesn't feel dismissive at all. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #20383 on: April 08, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
I never said it was dismissive.  I said it was strange.  :)

And while it's true that Nippon isn't actually named Japan, as far as I know no one has yet invented a Japanese word that translates to "Japan", when their word for "Nippon" works just fine.  American is a word in English... it just seems odd to me (and to M, who had never heard the term before 11:03 AM, when I mentioned it...), is all.

Maggie

« Reply #20384 on: April 08, 2013, 11:37:33 AM »
I never said it was dismissive.  I said it was strange.  :)

And while it's true that Nippon isn't actually named Japan, as far as I know no one has yet invented a Japanese word that translates to "Japan", when their word for "Nippon" works just fine.  American is a word in English... it just seems odd to me (and to M, who had never heard the term before 11:03 AM, when I mentioned it...), is all.

I've never heard it before and I've been on the internet a long time.  I don't think it's dismissive but I don't have to like being called that.  I am an American.