Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5760974 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20460 on: April 11, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
Any boss who gives you grief for being a little late, should be fixed with a "look" and the comment "So, helping my neighbour with a jump-start so they could get to work is . . . bad, is it?"

Oh, yes, the joys of putting your boss in his/her place. Often followed by the joys of packing up your things, filling out unemployment paperwork, trying to stretch your savings until you get another job....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hillia

« Reply #20461 on: April 11, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »
Here's what it boils down to, IMO: Helping someone out in a non-life threatening situation like this is nice.  It's a very nice thing to do.  It is not a nice thing to expect, or demand.  Living your life depending on the kindness of strangers has consequences, and if that's the path you choose, you don't get to blame others for the consequences.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CharlieBraun

« Reply #20462 on: April 11, 2013, 11:24:28 AM »

I consider this a rather pathetic excuse to get out of helping someone. Red to red, black to black. Mark cables with polarity (engraved will do) and just put them on the right battery terminals. Really, it's not THAT hard, people! And I don't believe someone can't spare 2 minutes to help a fellow Human who's stranded.

Any boss who gives you grief for being a little late, should be fixed with a "look" and the comment "So, helping my neighbour with a jump-start so they could get to work is . . . bad, is it?"

As for an 'Auto Club', I'm happy you're able to afford it. We can't. So, the few times I've needed a boost, I've been dependant on others helping me -- just as I help those who need it. Generosity of spirit is part of being Human.

Fliss, I gladly lend my cell phone to anyone who needs an emergency call.  I happily help people shove their disabled cars off the road, and when I lived in a snowier climate, my DH and I regularly used our snowblower to clear our entire block, plus driveways of those folks who we know were a bit frail.  Yet I won't touch a car battery as I know myself to be unqualified to do so and in fact am probably a hindrance to others in that capacity.

If the fact that I know the limitations of my own mechanical abilities ranks me as "pathetic" in your eyes, I'm not sure that it's too much of a burden for me to bear. 

As someone who relies on the kindness of strangers to jump them, as you say that you do, I'm glad that you feel free to hold the rest of the world who does not spring immediately to your aid with time, money (in the form of jumper cables,) and other resources in such withering contempt and scorn.  It takes a certain kind of courage to condemn strangers based on their lack of car knowledge which you feel is your right to demand of them to not only know intimately, but to be prepared to deploy at your immediately command.
"We ate the pies."

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #20463 on: April 11, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
I want to add that even sometimes puting the cables on correctly can result in a problem. I helped someone jump their car and they had a serious electrical problem that resulted in a electrical backlash that exploded my battery. I am REALLY glad that it was raining that day or more than just my shirt would have been damaged by the battery acid.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #20464 on: April 11, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »
My mechanic family member told me to never offer to boost anyone because if I'm not comfortable doing it, if they screw up the terminals, it will fry my battery.  Which is why I have auto club for myself too.

I consider this a rather pathetic excuse to get out of helping someone. Red to red, black to black. Mark cables with polarity (engraved will do) and just put them on the right battery terminals. Really, it's not THAT hard, people! And I don't believe someone can't spare 2 minutes to help a fellow Human who's stranded.

As for an 'Auto Club', I'm happy you're able to afford it. We can't. So, the few times I've needed a boost, I've been dependant on others helping me -- just as I help those who need it. Generosity of spirit is part of being Human.

I'm not even going to address the self-righteous attitude; others have already done that. What I am going to address is the bolded: As for a boss who doesn't believe in enforcing an 'Attendance Policy', I'm happy you have one. Many of us don't. When I worked at a call center, and when I was doing factory work, being tardy could very well be a fireable offense, regardless of reason. So the few times I had an opportunity to willingly make myself late, I've decided that my keeping and maintaining employment is more important to myself and my family. Self preservation is part of being Human.

Sounds prett snarky, eh?

Here's what I acutally meant to say: For many of us, the time it takes to jump a stranger is an unreasonable burden. Not because we hate humanity, but because if I have to make a choice between getting written up at work (Maybe twice, first for being tardy, then a second for giving my boss lip and being insubordinate, as you suggested.) and saying "Sorry! Gotta fly!", I'm going to choose the option that leads to me being able to provide for my household. Every time.
Utah

SiotehCat

« Reply #20465 on: April 11, 2013, 11:55:33 AM »
I actually have a really sweet and understanding boss. He isn't the reason I don't like being late. I also have clients that have coordinated their schedules to make appointments with me. Loyal clients who have sometimes waited a long time to see me. I am not going to make them wait because a complete stranger needs a favor.

Also, I would never ever speak to my boss like that. I probably wouldn't get in trouble for it, because we have a really friendly relationship that sometimes involves teasing. It just seems so disrespectful.

Cami

« Reply #20466 on: April 11, 2013, 12:13:39 PM »

It takes far longer than two minutes to start someone's car like this.

Giving your boss the "look" and a snotty response is good way to make sure you don't have to worry about being late for work any longer.
Yeah. I'm pretty easy going as a boss, but if some employee gave me lip like that, they would be written up and given a written warning. I only give one written warning. Next time, you can walk that lip right out the door and you'd now have all the time in the world to jump a stranger's battery.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20467 on: April 11, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »
Guys, I think Fliss has been admonished enough.  Let's not get this thread locked.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

daisy1679

« Reply #20468 on: April 11, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »

It takes far longer than two minutes to start someone's car like this.

Giving your boss the "look" and a snotty response is good way to make sure you don't have to worry about being late for work any longer.
Yeah. I'm pretty easy going as a boss, but if some employee gave me lip like that, they would be written up and given a written warning. I only give one written warning. Next time, you can walk that lip right out the door and you'd now have all the time in the world to jump a stranger's battery.

Not to mention, it's really not as simple as red to red, black to black. Although the jumper cables are black & red (red being positive, black is negative), not all battery terminals are colored (mine aren't, they are both black and marked with a plus or minus sign). Luckily, I know the proper way is positive to positive, negative to ground, so I can properly jump-start a car.

wheeitsme

« Reply #20469 on: April 11, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »

Just because it you don't find it hard, doesn't mean that others don't.  And it takes more than 2 minutes, because I've helped give jumps and I've had to give them.  And the whole process still kind of scares me.  So without trying to sound snarky(truly), yes, it can be THAT hard.  And the "fellow Human" usually isn't "stranded".  They are usually (and in the mentioned case) at home or in a populated center.  I very much doubt that anyone on these boards would leave someone truly stranded in a remote area if they could any way help it.

And that would be a rude response.

Fliss, I understand that you seem to be passionate about this, but I believe that people should be allowed to say "No, sorry..." and not be lumped in a group of "horrible people who don't care about other humans".  And that if someone would choose to help and be late to work, that they would be just as nice to their boss who expects and pays for them to be on time.  An "I'm sorry I'm late, here's why I did it, I understand that I need to take responsibility for my decision" and then accepting the repercussions, is not only polite but much more likely to make everyone feel better.

blueyzca01

« Reply #20470 on: April 11, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »
Please, people, let's be done with it already.   Fliss has moved on, so should we.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #20471 on: April 11, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »
There is a massive Special Snowflake in my town. Apparently, this person thinks it's totally okay to play their bass so loudly that the whole house shakes when they drive past, and they drive down my street at least once a week. If you sit in the front of the house, your chest hurts from the vibrations. I can only surmise that the person wears earplugs and noise - canceling headphones at the same time to keep from going deaf.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20472 on: April 11, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »
LazyDaisy wrote:

"Advocate on the other side: needing to do 1 hour worth of laundry and having to wait a minimum of 5 hours, or worse, 10 or more if the first 2 slots were taken, would be just as frustrating, especially if the room were reserved but empty for 4 of the 5 hours. Since there are no perfect solutions, I guess I'm a greatest good for the greatest number kind of person."

This advocacy precludes asking the person who has the slot reserved.  Since the signup sheet shows who has it reserved and they all live in the same place, asking is a reasonable way to get around the situations where someone has the room held but isn't going to use it.

Virg

PeterM

« Reply #20473 on: April 11, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »
There is a massive Special Snowflake in my town. Apparently, this person thinks it's totally okay to play their bass so loudly that the whole house shakes when they drive past, and they drive down my street at least once a week. If you sit in the front of the house, your chest hurts from the vibrations. I can only surmise that the person wears earplugs and noise - canceling headphones at the same time to keep from going deaf.

Or is already deaf. Deaf folks like them a strong bass-line.

I think I've said this here recently, but what I don't get about people who play their music way too loud is that it's almost never what most people would consider good music. Even allowing for varying tastes, it's generally crap. I don't care for rap, for example, but I've heard people who do like it comment that the idiot blaring rap out of his car isn't even playing good rap. Same goes for rock, pop, any genre you care to name. I don't get it.

I mean, if some nimrod came driving down my street blaring Clapton, or Sinatra, or "Freebird," or whatever, I'd still be annoyed by the volume but at least I'd respect the guy's taste.

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #20474 on: April 11, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »

Or is already deaf. Deaf folks like them a strong bass-line.

I think I've said this here recently, but what I don't get about people who play their music way too loud is that it's almost never what most people would consider good music. Even allowing for varying tastes, it's generally crap. I don't care for rap, for example, but I've heard people who do like it comment that the idiot blaring rap out of his car isn't even playing good rap. Same goes for rock, pop, any genre you care to name. I don't get it.

I mean, if some nimrod came driving down my street blaring Clapton, or Sinatra, or "Freebird," or whatever, I'd still be annoyed by the volume but at least I'd respect the guy's taste.

When I was a teenager, I swore that if I ever had the money, I'd buy a magnificent car stereo and drive around with opera blaring. (Still rude, I realize, but why doesn't anyone ever seem to do it?)  :P
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)