Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5100637 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20475 on: April 11, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »
LazyDaisy wrote:

"Advocate on the other side: needing to do 1 hour worth of laundry and having to wait a minimum of 5 hours, or worse, 10 or more if the first 2 slots were taken, would be just as frustrating, especially if the room were reserved but empty for 4 of the 5 hours. Since there are no perfect solutions, I guess I'm a greatest good for the greatest number kind of person."

This advocacy precludes asking the person who has the slot reserved.  Since the signup sheet shows who has it reserved and they all live in the same place, asking is a reasonable way to get around the situations where someone has the room held but isn't going to use it.

Virg

PeterM

« Reply #20476 on: April 11, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »
There is a massive Special Snowflake in my town. Apparently, this person thinks it's totally okay to play their bass so loudly that the whole house shakes when they drive past, and they drive down my street at least once a week. If you sit in the front of the house, your chest hurts from the vibrations. I can only surmise that the person wears earplugs and noise - canceling headphones at the same time to keep from going deaf.

Or is already deaf. Deaf folks like them a strong bass-line.

I think I've said this here recently, but what I don't get about people who play their music way too loud is that it's almost never what most people would consider good music. Even allowing for varying tastes, it's generally crap. I don't care for rap, for example, but I've heard people who do like it comment that the idiot blaring rap out of his car isn't even playing good rap. Same goes for rock, pop, any genre you care to name. I don't get it.

I mean, if some nimrod came driving down my street blaring Clapton, or Sinatra, or "Freebird," or whatever, I'd still be annoyed by the volume but at least I'd respect the guy's taste.

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #20477 on: April 11, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »
There is a massive Special Snowflake in my town. Apparently, this person thinks it's totally okay to play their bass so loudly that the whole house shakes when they drive past, and they drive down my street at least once a week. If you sit in the front of the house, your chest hurts from the vibrations. I can only surmise that the person wears earplugs and noise - canceling headphones at the same time to keep from going deaf.

I think I've said this here recently, but what I don't get about people who play their music way too loud is that it's almost never what most people would consider good music. Even allowing for varying tastes, it's generally crap. I don't care for rap, for example, but I've heard people who do like it comment that the idiot blaring rap out of his car isn't even playing good rap. Same goes for rock, pop, any genre you care to name. I don't get it.

I mean, if some nimrod came driving down my street blaring Clapton, or Sinatra, or "Freebird," or whatever, I'd still be annoyed by the volume but at least I'd respect the guy's taste.

When I was a teenager, I swore that if I ever had the money, I'd buy a magnificent car stereo and drive around with opera blaring. (Still rude, I realize, but why doesn't anyone ever seem to do it?)  :P
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

nuit93

« Reply #20478 on: April 11, 2013, 02:38:12 PM »

When I was a teenager, I swore that if I ever had the money, I'd buy a magnificent car stereo and drive around with opera blaring. (Still rude, I realize, but why doesn't anyone ever seem to do it?)  :P

I prefer the 1812 Overture :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #20479 on: April 11, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »

Swing dance tunes. ./nod
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20480 on: April 11, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »

Polka.  A nice, strong polka.

And I have a lot of time to think about this, since it happens multiple times daily here.  And for hours when the neighbors work on the car.  And during BLOCK PARTIES, when the music can go non-stop for literally 15 hours.  And block party season is coming...

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #20481 on: April 11, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »

I have a recording of the "March of the Men of Harlech" played on one of the largest pipe organs in the Western US. The bass that comes out of the 64' pipes is amazing. Sadly, I don't have the car speakers to match.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Coralreef

« Reply #20482 on: April 11, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »

Would that be the same guy who complains at work because the number of decibels in the workplace exceeds the recommended levels?  Yeah... I've met one of those.  I think we need a :headdesk: smiley.

[/right

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20483 on: April 11, 2013, 02:47:26 PM »

I have a recording of the "March of the Men of Harlech" played on one of the largest pipe organs in the Western US. The bass that comes out of the 64' pipes is amazing. Sadly, I don't have the car speakers to match.

How about the Poulenc organ concerto? 

TylerBelle

« Reply #20484 on: April 11, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »

I was sitting beside him or a relative of his the other day at the stoplight. My vehicle was turned into one of those weight-loss machines that make you jiggle. 
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

pixel dust

« Reply #20485 on: April 11, 2013, 02:50:11 PM »

Once in the early 2000's, I was walking my dog in my neighbor - a nice, family-oriented suburb, but my street was a tertiary cut-through to get to the local mall. I can hear the bass on this car before I can see so when I see it rocket by, I was taken aback by several facts:

- a teenage/early 20's male driver, no passengers
- all windows rolled up
- BLARING Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" (remember - early 2000's, at least 5 years after "Titanic" came out)

One of the odder, more surreal moments of my life.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20486 on: April 11, 2013, 03:16:40 PM »

You should have known my father.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hillia

« Reply #20487 on: April 11, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »
I can't believe no one's mentioned it yet:

Ride of the Valkyries

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

mmswm

« Reply #20488 on: April 11, 2013, 04:04:08 PM »

Polka.  A nice, strong polka.

And I have a lot of time to think about this, since it happens multiple times daily here.  And for hours when the neighbors work on the car.  And during BLOCK PARTIES, when the music can go non-stop for literally 15 hours.  And block party season is coming...

I'm not entirely sure if I should be embarrassed about this, but when my father rebuilt his 93 Mustang (5.0L engine, manual transmission, bored and stroked, hydraulic clutch-really, a hot-rod dream car) he installed a sweet sound system that could drown out 95 percent of all the thumpmobiles on the roads.  My mother was the primary driver of that car for years. Whenever she got near the others on the road, she'd crank up her radio. Beethoven, Wagner, Stravinsky, Respighi, Prokofiev, and Rachmaninoff are some of her favorites. If she could swing it, she had one particular favorite cued and ready to go....

So, picture this:  Sweet hot-rod, racing car, 50-something year old grandma behind the wheel who get annoyed at the young person next to her.  She smiles, flicks the volume control and this is what you hear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwGTe_MueM

(Skip to roughly the 3 minute mark, and note that she liked to have it set so the tympani line was very, very prominent.)

Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Shalamar

« Reply #20489 on: April 11, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »
Polka.

I was once at a backyard party, and someone switched the music to "Roll Out the Barrel", at top volume, just for laughs.   All of us immediately started polka-ing around the garden, giggling our heads off.  (Alcohol may have been a factor.)  Next thing you know, the cops have shown up to say that there's been a noise complaint.  (I would have loved to have answered the phone in the police station that night - I wonder if the irate caller mentioned the fact that it was polka music?)

Anyway, we behaved ourselves and turned the music down - but not before the hostess, upon seeing the handsome young cops, squealed "Yay!  The strippers are here!"